Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You must be Ames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I was miffed about TWEWY Final Remix being the phone version until I realized I can just play the two joycon co-op mode by myself to play two characters at once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

hot take: Night in the Woods was the best game to come out in the year that had things like Mario Odyssey and Zelda and NeiR and whatever :colbert:

It was in my top 5 for sure.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I wonder how Anthem's coming along. *checks latest Anthem news*

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-conversation-system-allows-for-two-dialogue-choices/

quote:

When asked why the system was simplified for Anthem, executive producer Mark Darrah replied, "We are showing this to an audience that is not used to these kind of decisions and conversations. We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices."

Ah. The revolutionary design choice to prevent false choices by taking away choices, mostly because you think the audience is too stupid to understand things like "decisions and conversations".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:rip: Bioware

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
When the creative force behind Anthem literally died, I gave up any hope of the game even resembling good. Bioware has gone the way of all previous EA acquisitions.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Appoda posted:

Black Knight 2000 is very strong. Fun video game fact: the voice is the same dude who did the Mortal Kombat 2 Shao Khan that everybody remembers.

gently caress how have I not noticed it before :doh:

codenameFANGIO posted:

I’m confused because you’re stating an objective truth like it is sarcasm??

What? Black Knight 2000 is the greatest tho???!!?!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Pinball is very good. I missed a cookout/tournament yesterday at a private collector’s place because I have too much going on at the moment. On pinball maintenance, my understanding is that it’s a little like working on a car: highly self-serviceable with lots of guides available, and while bringing a neglected table back to its old glory could take a while, once you’ve got something that’s been refurbished (or new) there’s not a whole lot of constant fiddling required. The tables need cleaned very rarely, since there’s not a lot of dirt that gets introduced to the system, and having a slight patina is one of those factors that can change how one copy of a table plays differently from someone else’s copy of the table. My haunt has a Metallica table they cleaned up for a stream and after they cleaned the table the ball would just scream around and it started getting a little more English than before.

If you own a table you’ll have to cultivate at least a small amount of technical aptitude, since eventually a servo won’t be as responsive or a ball will start getting routinely stuck somewhere, but I hear a lot of stories about people who knew next to nothing being able to learn almost everything they need from Google.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boy FF9 really loves hiding chests behind scenery huh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SpiritOfLenin posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-conversation-system-allows-for-two-dialogue-choices/

Ah. The revolutionary design choice to prevent false choices by taking away choices, mostly because you think the audience is too stupid to understand things like "decisions and conversations".

Man I can't wait for Red, Blue and Green endings guys! Colour coded for your convenience!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Infinitum posted:

Man I can't wait for Red, Blue and Green endings guys! Colour coded for your convenience!

That's clearly too complex, there are three choices there!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

b_d posted:

people keep saying destiny is about to be good and then getting disappointed. wait and see imo

This was actually correct when The Taken King was about to hit. Shame about all the other times.

It sounds like they're making the shader situation a little better? Still a lot worse than Destiny 1 but :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AegLCRZZvU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought he had a comically large GBA SP to play Pokemon Blue with before watching this and then was immediately disappointed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Just like Bob Dylan

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Raxivace posted:

I thought he had a comically large GBA SP to play Pokemon Blue with before watching this and then was immediately disappointed.

absolutely same

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like how scared and defensive the Anthem subreddit is after the dialogue news blew up. "Uhh uhh Bioware are expert devs guys TRUST THEM they know better than you" "Gosh stupid greedy gamers don't tell them how to make their game" "EA wouldn't kill such a big name studio"

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Infinitum posted:

it is just Red and Green this time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you 100% it you get the secret Plaid Ending

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I mean on the one hand I think devs should make what they want to make, but on the other the sheer number of dumb dumbs crowing "why would you ASSUME BIOWARE was making another RPG???" and seeing them put all their eggs into this years-too-late Destiny clone with Iron Man suits makes me all but certain the company will either be shuttered when it fails to meet expectations or assigned to work on terrible mobile games down the road instead of actual big budget titles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Bioware isn't wrong though. Gamers are pretty stupid, that's hardly Biowares fault.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Bioware isn't wrong though. Gamers are pretty stupid, that's hardly Biowares fault.

Stop projecting, not every gamer is like you

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If nothing else all the worry about Anthem has convinced me to hurry up and finish what I want to do in The Old Republic because if the game tanks you know those servers are going down.

In unrelated MMO news, Tera is doing server merges (fine) but unlike pretty much every other MMO ever they're not letting players keep characters made on both servers if the number exceeds whatever limit the player has upgraded to, so they're actually telling players to delete their own characters to prepare. Not a good look at all and I honestly can't believe their PR people let that happen since I doubt any MMO would want to be known for being the first to do poo poo like that.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 2, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Andrast posted:

Stop projecting, not every gamer is like you

please do not sign you are posts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

it's an MMO, there will be zero endings

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

it's an MMO, there will be zero endings

Destiny 2, the game they're definitely not copying, technically had endings to the story campaign.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anthem is going to make Destiny 2 look like a masterpiece

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verranicus posted:

Destiny 2, the game they're definitely not copying, technically had endings to the story campaign.
"technically"? Were they perchance but-the-adventure-goes-on bullshit, as they'd probably need to be in a game that wants you to play expansions?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You beat the bad guy then they set you loose to do a thin set of repetitive junk, because making content for games that look this nice is too slow and expensive

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chev posted:

"technically"? Were they perchance but-the-adventure-goes-on bullshit, as they'd probably need to be in a game that wants you to play expansions?

To be fair I only played the base game and the first expansion and their endings were no less vague/bad than a Mass Effect or Dragon Age ending where the big bad is dead but they have to leave it open to future content. There are a lot of reasons to hate on Destiny 2 but I never felt like that was one of them since every game/TV show/movie does it.

Like they're all *Heroes together after final battle looking tired but victorious, looking over a vista* and then right before or after the credits a stinger where they tease the next big bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As far as Destiny like games are concerned, the Division 2 is going to be the best of the bunch by far.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Verranicus posted:

In unrelated MMO news, Tera is doing server merges (fine) but unlike pretty much every other MMO ever they're not letting players keep characters made on both servers if the number exceeds whatever limit the player has upgraded to, so they're actually telling players to delete their own characters to prepare. Not a good look at all and I honestly can't believe their PR people let that happen since I doubt any MMO would want to be known for being the first to do poo poo like that.

Having to pick a server when you create a character just seems outdated and lovely these days. It always seems to cause problems.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

Having to pick a server when you create a character just seems outdated and lovely these days. It always seems to cause problems.

Tera is a pretty old game at this point. I still think what they're doing is laughably stupid though. Server merges are a way of life in aging MMOs but the last thing you want to do is piss off the altaholic whales that have stuck with your game for that long thanks to having so many characters.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verranicus posted:

no less vague/bad than a Mass Effect or Dragon Age ending
I'm afraid those weren't very good endings either. "But TV shows that are also counting on you to follow them for years do it" has never been a good reason to do a thing in a game.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 2, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Verranicus posted:

How To Lose Subs And Alienate Players
:chanpop:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

You beat the bad guy then they set you loose to do a thin set of repetitive junk, because making content for games that look this nice is too slow and expensive

You defeat the king of the space walruses and it turns out he was actually just some nobody and then the king of the space walruses shows up and invites you to raid his space ship.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"There's enough players to warrant 2 servers, so what we're gonna do is merge those servers together and you're gonna have to delete characters you've had for years to make room"

:rip: that PR company

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chev posted:

I'm afraid those weren't very good endings either.

Maybe not, but they were still endings. I expect Anthem to do something like Mass Effect 2's ending.

Infinitum posted:

How To Lose Subs And Alienate Players
:chanpop:

I have to assume they just don't care about the NA playerbase at this point because yikes, who could think it was a good idea??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 has literally the same ending as Mass Effect 2 (you beat the bad guy in your neighborhood, good job, but outside the galaxy the real bad guys are waking up) so yeah, expect to see that in Anthem.

• Locked thread