Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's interesting that guys who have never posted in this thread that's nearly a year old suddenly show up to concern troll about ~misandry~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Elentor posted:

I think all these seminaries offering tips targeting women and nb folks who suffer a lot of discrimination are actually a really good idea since they can laser focus on addressing issues that are specific to them and no one really talks about.

I think these kind of seminaries should happen way more often, and the overall misunderstanding of transfolk issues for example is seldom addressed outside of sex talk. Job issues, at least here in Rio, are extensive and glossed over.

I really don't think this issue is being well handled by Riot though, and the timing is less-than-stellar for the reasons we all know as this seems more like a PR move than something out of good will. Also, since the target of the seminar seems to be aiding oppressed groups into entering an industry surrounded by controversial issues, instead of making it sound like people missing out on something very useful because entering the game industry and getting expert help is not particularly easy, broadening up the scope of the topic towards the situation of women and nb in the game industry and making it an opportunity to educate those people not in those groups while also using that as an opportunity to offer specialized tips would probably convert a lot of the current ill will from people feeling disenfranchised into good will towards people who have a lot more challenges getting stable jobs.

The reason people outside of these groups are filled with ill will in the first place is exactly why Riot was put under the radar and I worry that mishandling this can make things bad. The last thing nb people need is more random hatred from shitheads.

Yea I agree with all of this. Maybe it's just being mishandled. Watching official rioters call people "manbabies" is really helping their image though.

Sorry if I come off as trolling. Getting an explanation out of reddit on this issue is proving less fruitful than I had originally hoped. I'll leave now.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xanif posted:

Yea I agree with all of this. Maybe it's just being mishandled. Watching official rioters call people "manbabies" is really helping their image though.

Sorry if I come off as trolling. Getting an explanation out of reddit on this issue is proving less fruitful than I had originally hoped. I'll leave now.

Gamers are a whole are literal manbabies.

Here's a hint if somebody is talking about people being idiots, or manbabies, or poo poo birds, or anything negative and your first response is "I AM NOT A "Idiot/Manbaby/poo poo Bird" then congratulations, the message/rant/vent isn't about you.

But if you then go ahead and concern troll in "good faith" and "I don't see the points here can you point them out to me" then congratulations, you are actually a poo poo baby.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People who enjoy video games are cool and fun to play with.

People who identify as gamers and gatekeep and overall act like an incel's best hit list should be grounded up into a powder and snorted like cocaine

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
every time a rioter directly insults one of these chuds i gain slightly more respect for riot (which is not a lot to begin with)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Verviticus posted:

every time a rioter directly insults one of these chuds i gain slightly more respect for riot (which is not a lot to begin with)

:same:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xanif posted:

When a seminar is coming from a company being accused of telling women they need to prove they're true gamers and they're now willing to teach them how to make cvs and enter the industry, I can't help but feel a bit cynical thinking "wouldn't it also be really helpful to tell the people in charge not to treat women like poo poo in the first place?" I'm reading the page here and it seem really harmless and it should not be cause for an outcry, but not handling that outcry well is just a way to perpetuate a problem.

This is a very sticky subject and the overall explosive reaction is something that really worries me. Trans issues, in particular, are something that I hold dear to heart, since my aunt was a painter who killed herself because the family did not accept her sexuality, the difference in philosophy between my parents and my grandparents who were intolerant pretty much shattered my family, and to see how far this genuinely unforgiving attitude can lead someone to give up on their life entirely, is terrifying to me. The person whose paintings inspired me to start painting since I was a young child is gone because of that, and it's haunting.

The hatred of people who misunderstand the issues that surround these causes is not something that I think should be joked about or overlooked, and not a single aspect of this entire debacle should, at least in my opinion, be treated in a childish way, or in a way that will create more people believing they've been given reason to be intolerant. These are many of the people causing problems right now in the first place, and I find terrifying that the notion that more of these people are being created is in some sense cathartic. These people are not gonna disappear, they're still members of society, and the second they can create problems to someone, they will. Whatever pleasure is derived from insulting people right now would be much more useful in educating them why these seminaries are desperately needed, so that they're not the next generation that will lead us to read another kotaku article about office abuse in the future.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 1, 2018

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

You can(and should) acknowledge that Riot's motivation here is mostly just cynical PR management while at the same time you can(and should) recognize that the actual thing they're doing because of it is good, it's not either/or. If you approve of this decision, it doesn't mean you've forgiven Riot all of a sudden

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, like I said, I think these events should happen considerably more often and by more companies and if they represent a mark in Riot starting a new, better corporate culture, then everyone should be really ecstatic. But we know that the culture in game industry is not particularly healthy right now, gamers are not the most mature group out there, and not handling this situation with the care that it deserves is extremely dangerous and this is not the place for childish behavior. Riot is in a glass house right now and instead of throwing stones, reasoning with people to defuse the situation, no matter the cost, is of utmost necessity. This is a great opportunity to explain the problem at hand, why addressing these groups privately with specialized seminaries is important, and giving some public numbers and information on why this is a good thing. If 1% of the mob marches towards a better understanding then that's already a step towards a future where hopefully minorities don't have to deal with harassment.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Better corporate culture would be a woman not getting fired because a neckbeard told them "women shouldn't program or be involved in tech in anyway and I guess we'll have to quadruple check the code" when it was reported to HR.

"They weren't a good fit"

Also programming was started by women because it wasn't seen as a man's job and that drastically changed once money got involved.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean the problem this company has is top down, if the people who run the company think it's okay to make rape jokes in their recruiting pitches and can't understand why anyone would be not-cool with that, it doesn't matter how many seminars you run for women or even how many women (or nb/trans etc) employees you hire. Change doesn't flow up from the bottom. They'll be subjected to the same awful treatment at work even if they somehow end up a majority because they won't be in leadership positions. By design, apparently!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
New thread title pls

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
thoorin and kelsey moser are fuming with rage somewhere right now and i love it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

thoorin and kelsey moser are fuming with rage somewhere right now and i love it

incoming 3 hour video

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Elentor posted:

I think all these seminaries offering tips targeting women and nb folks who suffer a lot of discrimination are actually a really good idea since they can laser focus on addressing issues that are specific to them and no one really talks about.

I think these kind of seminaries should happen way more often, and the overall misunderstanding of transfolk issues for example is seldom addressed outside of sex talk. Job issues, at least here in Rio, are extensive and glossed over.

I really don't think this issue is being well handled by Riot though, and the timing is less-than-stellar for the reasons we all know as this seems more like a PR move than something out of good will. Also, since the target of the seminar seems to be aiding oppressed groups into entering an industry surrounded by controversial issues, instead of making it sound like people missing out on something very useful because entering the game industry and getting expert help is not particularly easy, broadening up the scope of the topic towards the situation of women and nb in the game industry and making it an opportunity to educate those people not in those groups while also using that as an opportunity to offer specialized tips would probably convert a lot of the current ill will from people feeling disenfranchised into good will towards people who have a lot more challenges getting stable jobs.

The reason people outside of these groups are filled with ill will in the first place is exactly why Riot was put under the radar and I worry that mishandling this can make things bad. The last thing nb people need is more random hatred from shitheads.
That's how I feel about this. If the whole mistreating Women and Non-Binary thing hadn't happened a month ago there's an almost 0 chance this would have happened to begin with. It's the right idea, but they had to be shamed to high hell and back for this to happen and chose to do so at a really bad time. Maybe this is a totally unrelated example but Rooster Teeth at their own expo and hosted "Women in the Industry" and LGBT+ panels for the type of people who were interested in it that went off swimmingly without excluding anyone. I watched them all and they were drat insightful and helpful without brow-beating anyone.

It probably would have been better to dedicate a 2-3 hour block for under-represented people exclusively and then let everyone else in rather than basically closing out their entire PAX panel to men through everything but the general Q&A. It's a gross subject that shouldn't need to be addressed, but is completely necessary right now but in my opinion Riot's done a pretty bad job at it, considering at its core, most of their fans are straight males. Even if they don't mean to, they're kicking the hornet's nest and unfortunately there's diehard Rioters who are just egging it all on, too.

It probably also doesn't help that every single rioter that's commented on it is just calling their fans stupid, and not just the minsogynst ones that deserve being called out but the ones in the middle who were just pretty average people who wanted to attend the panels and have their resume looked at. You shouldn't try to keep tipping the scales in whatever you believe. Reach an agreeable middle, it really can't be that hard if you're willing to hear everyone out and settle somewhere in the between.

There's two extremes to this and pretty much anyone in the middle trying to be reasonable just aren't heard, or worst yet, just being thrown under the bus by the opposite ends because it isn't their viewpoint.

mistaya posted:

I mean the problem this company has is top down, if the people who run the company think it's okay to make rape jokes in their recruiting pitches and can't understand why anyone would be not-cool with that, it doesn't matter how many seminars you run for women or even how many women (or nb/trans etc) employees you hire. Change doesn't flow up from the bottom. They'll be subjected to the same awful treatment at work even if they somehow end up a majority because they won't be in leadership positions. By design, apparently!
Yeah, trying to hide behind PR stunts is an awful first step. People hate Reddit but when the entire Sexism in Riot thing broke, MOST of Reddit was on the women's side and Riot's first visible action to rectify this is excluding men, which is just tip on the scale of a different extreme, so they were pretty frustrated. The poo poo rises to the top on Reddit but it was still just a baffling step to take, like you're punishing the toxic men at Riot by excluding males at your major panel. :riot:

pog boyfriend posted:

ladies and gentlemen a cat is posting in this thread and calling people a sea lion.
This was a direct Rioter tweet from the same person who was mad at people who were playing Talia "wrong" when she came out though. Real talk though, the dude was a CM in Germany who was abusive to people (telling people to kill themselves) and came to America as a champion designer. He is in an open relationship with his wife, who has her own boyfriend, and he has his own girlfriend as well so it's a weird Utah-looking Polygamy train wreck. Not exactly a saint, but at least he isn't Anthony Burch.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The issue seems to be that they lazily rushed into making a token effort at looking like they care about the sexism issue, and just changed their existing panels instead of arranging a full thing to begin with. They hosed up their approach to that, all the chuds flipped their lids at being "discriminated against", and then one riot dude had a nuclear apocalyptic meltdown on twitter at the chuds. Which, hey, I totally get, but he pretty much torched any possibility of a reasonable response to this poo poo and no matter how good his points are that level of twitter meltdown is horrible PR from any perspective and just gives the terrible dudes more ammo.

I'm just glad that Morello and a few of the higher ups are still going ahead with it and not using the fallout of this as an excuse to massively backpedal and start catering to shitters.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
What did Anthony Burch do? Also when will Tencent get sick of this poo poo?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

afaik Burch didn't have anything to do with it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

RealFoxy posted:

He is in an open relationship with his wife, who has her own boyfriend, and he has his own girlfriend as well so it's a weird Utah-looking Polygamy train wreck.

my fiancee and my girlfriend and I would like to have a word with you ty

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Nothing but he's still the best meltdown on twitter

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 2, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

The issue seems to be that they lazily rushed into making a token effort at looking like they care about the sexism issue, and just changed their existing panels instead of arranging a full thing to begin with. They hosed up their approach to that, all the chuds flipped their lids at being "discriminated against", and then one riot dude had a nuclear apocalyptic meltdown on twitter at the chuds. Which, hey, I totally get, but he pretty much torched any possibility of a reasonable response to this poo poo and no matter how good his points are that level of twitter meltdown is horrible PR from any perspective and just gives the terrible dudes more ammo.

I'm just glad that Morello and a few of the higher ups are still going ahead with it and not using the fallout of this as an excuse to massively backpedal and start catering to shitters.
It was a bad rushed bandaid to try and fish for goodwill after an extremely lovely situation they put themselves in that people are seeing right through, at the end of the day. They should have been having these panels before getting called out for being the most toxic place for women and trans people in the entire gaming industry, not a reaction after being called out.

It was so last minute that it happened two days before PAX and I'm sure there were tons of people who aren't total MRA shitheads that just wanted to attend a Riot panel caught in the crosshair of this all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

He is in an open relationship with his wife, who has her own boyfriend, and he has his own girlfriend as well so it's a weird Utah-looking Polygamy train wreck.
Who cares

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You're right, he's still the dude who had a breakdown because everyone told him that Talliah needed smartcast on her W

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
If I recall correctly he so wanted it to be completely invisible to players what Kayn form you were gonna end up with and got mad when people told him that was stupid too. Whatever he and his partners wanna do behind closed doors is whatever but he's a giant crybaby when someone points out he's got some stupid developer ideas he just screams that everyone is out to get him, so he sucks

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
When did I accidentally sub to the MRA thread?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asema posted:

Also programming was started by women because it wasn't seen as a man's job and that drastically changed once money got involved.

My mother was one of the first trained assembly programmers in Rio. Her entire team was composed almost entirely of women, and they were all collectively demoted in the late 80s, only having a chance to reapply as a programmer over 10 years later. This was a period when we really needed the income, as the economy in Brazil post-dictatorship was not healthy at all. Through a lot of hardship we managed to get through it, but not all of her colleagues had the same luck. To pile on the poo poo storm, my mom was always paid less than her colleagues due to being black, so that team-wide demotion was a huge kick in the finances.

Smol posted:

You're subscribed to a thread related to a game from a company who just recently underwent serious accusations. It should not be surprising to you that people are discussing a Riot controversy, and as far as this new development goes the past few pages have been relatively civil about it compared to, well, everywhere else in the Internet. Everyone in this thread seems to be on the same side that positive action is a good thing.

With that said.

RealFoxy posted:

I don't think you're ill-intended but I disagree that this should be brought up amidst whatever bad things that guy did. All this does is add a negative connotation to a group of people (like curiousCat) who have nothing to do with whatever troubles that guy is causing.

I'm really only putting my hand into this because Serv seems to agree that this isn't entirely off-topic since Riot has been under the spotlight, and I don't shy away from putting my hand on these political subjects since I've had to deal with them for a good deal of my life, so let's be civil. I think we can all here agree that:

1) Regardless of PR, in a bubble, the concept of seminars focused on minorities is good.
2) More of this should happen.
3) Everything points out to Riot needing to make their own internal changes. It would be better if we knew what they're doing internally, which this event does not cover at all, but this should not detract from the people who are being benefited by the event.
4) The people who are making a serious outcry about this are in no small part the reason why these events need to happen in the first place.
5) The issues being addressed are all serious, have real effects on people's lives, and transcend the levity of the act of playing the final product.

So instead of fighting and arguing against each other, can we all agree with these elements?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 2, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m gonna bet they do as little as possible to let it blow over and not really do anything meaningful to change because the company is run by a bunch of lovely gamer guys. League has one of the most toxic player bases and it’s just part of their culture which kinda shows in the lovely decisions the company has made over the years.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Asema posted:

incoming 3 hour video

they're gonna make a video longer than the amount of time men are barred from the riot booth

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Smol posted:

The criticism of riot doing this isn't that they are doing anything, it's that they are doing it in a way that might not help or cause more harm than good. Also it sounds like they are trying to deflect from the recent news that their work culture is extremely sexist.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Riot's already banned the phrase "Sea Lion" from their Twitch chat and it now auto-bans you for 10 minutes :lol:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
why does riot hate Sage Francis

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
good point

My top 3 rappers
1. Logic
2. Sage Francis
3. Macklemore

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
all of these garbage human beings posting now who didn't post during the recent fun enigma times should get a month off

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

RealFoxy posted:

Riot's already banned the phrase "Sea Lion" from their Twitch chat and it now auto-bans you for 10 minutes :lol:

My God

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Teikanmi posted:

good point

My top 3 rappers
1. Logic
2. Sage Francis
3. Macklemore

you could've had me but macklemore was too obvious

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Some women have vaguely hinted that he's a Nick Robinson style DM slider or something but afaik nothing's public yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ungulateman posted:

no it doesn't?

If garbage people are mad at you that means you're opposing their garbage views and that's good as hell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

xanif posted:

If by that you mean "literally all of the seminars" then yes.

https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/community/community-events/riot-pax-west

Oh no for one day nobody gives a poo poo about dudes in gaming the horror shut up

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus loving christ the league subreddit is literally a bunch of GOT YOU HA HA Satire bullshit that gives me 0 hope for the male population going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's pretty loving dire, yeah.