Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

steinrokkan posted:

Why the hell if FXX blocking these videos outside the US, no other company / show seems to do that

they dont want us to get hype for piracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Is this only on a cable box? Don't see it on the app.

Edit: NM, this jabrony figured it out.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 1, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Don’t read this if you ain’t seen the new episode!

This seems a huge tonal change for the show. I liked it. Surprised he’s back so fast, and Kaling had a lot of room to grow.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Moose-Alini posted:

Don’t read this if you ain’t seen the new episode!

This seems a huge tonal change for the show. I liked it. Surprised he’s back so fast, and Kaling had a lot of room to grow.

I was kind of down on it but the last five minutes saved it. Mac's constant body jokes fell a little flat and Mindy Kaling has never been funny to me but the new tuba and the surprise at the end saved the day.

Not spoiling this since it's been in all the previews but that doll is amazingly lifelike. Creepy as poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maybe let's make him pay it tomorrow, ya know? Let's let him have this [...] tell ya what man, I am happy for him but I do still hate him...

~It's a Mac thing~

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

moist turtleneck posted:

I constantly wished that Mac or Charlie would show up as Jimmy's cousin in the Mick

Country Jimmy!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

I was kind of down on it but the last five minutes saved it. Mac's constant body jokes fell a little flat and Mindy Kaling has never been funny to me but the new tuba and the surprise at the end saved the day.

Not spoiling this since it's been in all the previews but that doll is amazingly lifelike. Creepy as poo poo.

i mean did you hear what it was saying? definitely realistic.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Krankenstyle posted:

they dont want us to get hype for piracy

It's weird how this show isn't available at all in mainland Europe. You'd think that something that has been going on for 12 seasons would get some worldwide attention, but nothing except regional blocks. Shameful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea FXX or whoever could at least sell distribution rights to one of the streaming providers

like, Handmaid's Tale is a Hulu show, but here it's distributed by HBO Nordic. Hulu isn't a thing in Scandinavia, but HBO is -- makes sense right?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/3ButKQF.gifv

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm really not enjoying this episode, it feels really different and.... bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frank pulling the gun when he thought the Dennis doll had come to life was amazing.

"Oh he's blowing loads in that thing?"

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Just watched with a few friends and we all had some good laughs. More than S12 so far.

Then watched "Mac Day" right after... Mac and Dennis are wearing the same shirts in season 9. Weirdly crazy coincidence, aside from Dennis' sleevelessness.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I want to say it was a weird and somewhat off putting episode but hey I think every new sunny season starts with us long time fans going "ehhhh I don't know..." so just wait and see I guess.

the show blowing the Dennis load so quickly, especially given that the entire episode dealt with Dennis' lingering psychological influence, felt kind of like a sticky mess. I would have appreciated a 2-3 episode arc that actually shows how the gang and the waitress are recovering some of their own sense of identity. There were a few nice moments, like Charlie being nice to Dee, I wish they would have built up on that just so that pulling the rug out from under us by bringing back flesh-dennis would have been more effective.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I just started watching the new episode and

Who the christ is this new person who's making the plan, I am very confused

e: apparently, she's Poochie!

e2: by the end that turned out to be even more accurate than I thought :shittypop:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 2, 2018

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Just watched the new episode. It was like a fever dream. Not a complaint, I loved it, but it really does seem like something you'd dream if you had binged a lot of Always Sunny while sick and then took a bunch of NyQuil and passed out.

I also got the vibe they will have season long story arcs this year.

The only negative I had was the directing or editing seemed to be a bit off. Everything seemed a bit too scripted. It looked a little too clean, if that makes sense. But it was funny as hell.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

paradex posted:

The only negative I had was the directing or editing seemed to be a bit off. Everything seemed a bit too scripted. It looked a little too clean, if that makes sense. But it was funny as hell.

Completely agree with this, it didn't feel organic at all, it was very odd. I almost felt like it was a prank on the viewer that they had done on purpose.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
The new episode felt like a giant middle finger to all the fans and I loved it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Dennis is the worst...

Why did Mac get chubby again?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 2, 2018

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

willie_dee posted:

Completely agree with this, it didn't feel organic at all, it was very odd. I almost felt like it was a prank on the viewer that they had done on purpose.

It felt very rushed. I thought it was really funny, but the rhythm was off. I think it's because the editing was more traditional. The editing on Always Sunny has always been sloppy and that's part of the charm for me. This seemed a lot different. Like it was directed and edited like there should have been a live studio audience. Lots of quick cuts to someone saying a line as opposed to letting it play out more organically, like you said.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I know they are getting older, but I like that they actually are showing them getting older with the gray hairs coming through

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It felt off because Cindy doesn't fit in the show's universe. She's a character dropped in from a "nicer" style of comedy, stuff like Workaholics or Broad City or The Good Place, and she immediately and obviously clashes with the rest of the show. I was actually probably gonna bail on this season if it weren't for Dennis coming back because I got Poochie vibes *that hard.*

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
great episode, show hasn't missed a beat.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It felt off because Cindy doesn't fit in the show's universe. She's a character dropped in from a "nicer" style of comedy, stuff like Workaholics or Broad City or The Good Place, and she immediately and obviously clashes with the rest of the show. I was actually probably gonna bail on this season if it weren't for Dennis coming back because I got Poochie vibes *that hard.*

Lord of Booty, fan of the new day does not get irony. Here Cindy is a new Dennis and could elevate them to something better. But do you not know the gang does not like being better, they each like their own role and they keep each other's crazies going. Have you seen the wishing well episode? The one where they huff gas? At the end of "The Gang Makes Paddy's Great Again" everyone is back into their roles, all support each other in their roles, and is topped off with Dennis calling Dee a bird and the gang being back at a comfortable jumping off point

Mac gained weight because he was cultivating mass

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No Luck Needed posted:

Lord of Booty, fan of the new day does not get irony. Here Cindy is a new Dennis and could elevate them to something better. But do you not know the gang does not like being better, they each like their own role and they keep each other's crazies going. Have you seen the wishing well episode? The one where they huff gas? At the end of "The Gang Makes Paddy's Great Again" everyone is back into their roles, all support each other in their roles, and is topped off with Dennis calling Dee a bird and the gang being back at a comfortable jumping off point

Mac gained weight because he was cultivating mass

Have you considered that maybe the character's supposed to work on both levels, as a "new Dennis" who could take them to greater heights and as essentially a walking meta joke about how the TV comedy zeitgeist has passed IASIP by

Like basically nothing you said is incompatible with what I said so I don't understand how that's supposed to be a dunk

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
shup up bird

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Why is that funny?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

hughesta posted:

great episode, show hasn't missed a beat.

Did we watch the same episode?!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I loved it ya jabronis

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I was lukewarm on the episode myself but I think it'll hold up a lot better on a re-watch when I don't have crazy-high expectations for it. I loved all the stuff about the doll and Mac pumping loads into it and Cindy calling them out for running a train on Doll-Dennis, though! :allears:

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 2, 2018

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Strabo4 posted:

I was lukewarm on the episode myself but I think it'll hold up a lot better on a re-watch when I don't have crazy-high expectations for it. I loved all the stuff about the doll and Mac pumping loads into it and Cindy calling them out for running a train on Doll-Dennis, though! :allears:

I thought it was funny by itself, but i do think they're doing a thing this season so it probably will get better when we see the entire season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched the episode and it was pretty good. It had its ups and downs. I didn't really get why Mindy Kaling's character was there. She's just instantly there with no explanation. It kind of seemed like they were caricatures of their characters moreso than previous seasons. I guess I'll just see how this plays out. I definitely saw some classic moments in the trailer.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just bought it on amazon and all it has is a 30 second clip? But I paid for the season. So ???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

redreader posted:

I just bought it on amazon and all it has is a 30 second clip? But I paid for the season. So ???

The cable premiere date is 9/5, so Amazon and other streaming sources will have the episode available on 9/6.

I did the same thing without realizing :cripes:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

redreader posted:

They released the episode early, but only on the FXX streaming platform which I think you have to have a cable subscription and pay for the fxx streaming?

Anyway, nobody spoke about tbe episode here until it became available in the :filez: space...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you already bought the season then just :filez:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought Mindy's character being there without any explanation was kind of funny, especially because she was lifting everyone up. But I agree that Dennis just popping back in the first episode seemed like a waste of something that could've spanned a few episodes. I hope they have the doll around a bit longer too, that's a horrorlarious prop. For a moment, I definitely did think they were going to do a "the gang sees and hears the doll come to life" thing that might last the whole season, and I'm slightly disappointed it isn't that.

Also I think strong Mac turned me gay.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Strabo4 posted:

I haven't seen the episode yet but that description alone has me giggling.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The doll is definitely going to make future appearances on the show. You don't acquire a prop like that and just toss it aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Everyone looks way older than the last season. I wonder if that’s because they are or whether that’s like, the joke that they accentuated with either makeup or just using less age concealing makeup