Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

i wonder which company's last-on-board-the-titanic game will crash their company first, bioware's anthem or housemarque's battle royale game

people didn't buy nex machina enough so.... what do we do... oh look, boss key is doing a battle royale, i bet that will work out for them, let's also try it

Housemarque Battle Royale will be lucky to last longer than Radical Heights, at least people knew CliffyB for multiplayer shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These small studio BR also-rans don't stand a chance when the Battlefields of the world can just throw a battle royale into their yearly shootman games and call it a night.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

These small studio BR also-rans don't stand a chance when the Battlefields of the world can just throw a battle royale into their yearly shootman games and call it a night.

Didnt they get boo'd at E3 for that reveal? Or am I thinking of another team?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Radical Heights went from "early access" on April 10 to CliffyB tweeting that he was shutting it all down on May 14, five weeks. That was the record until The Culling 2 which lasted for eight days (July 10 - July 18, 2018)

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

The 7th Guest posted:

i wonder which company's last-on-board-the-titanic game will crash their company first, bioware's anthem or housemarque's battle royale game

people didn't buy nex machina enough so.... what do we do... oh look, boss key is doing a battle royale, i bet that will work out for them, let's also try it

Virtually all loot n' shoot games (Destiny, The Division) had difficult launches and middling reviews but went on to be successful through updates/expansions.

Bioware's pretty good at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory so we'll have to see how Anthem does.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Didnt they get boo'd at E3 for that reveal? Or am I thinking of another team?

There were many boos at EA e3 2018. It's really a right of passage for an EA developer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

EA floor shows at E3 are so legendarily terrible. At least in the Ubisoft + Bethesda presentations you get the impression that there are some people who enjoy making video games for a living working for them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

EA floor shows at E3 are so legendarily terrible. At least in the Ubisoft + Bethesda presentations you get the impression that there are some people who enjoy making video games for a living working for them.

Tbf the Beyond Good and Evil team seemed legit hyped and the crowd didnt hate them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I mean... I don't do that. Maybe it's because I'm poor

same. the only game i can remember buying twice is chrono trigger for the snes and ds

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I still can't get over the fact that their CEO looks exactly like what you'd expect the head of a villainous megacorp to look like

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never thought about it before but R&C has the best hacking/lockpicking minigame because it's simple and unobtrusive.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

babypolis posted:

same. the only game i can remember buying twice is chrono trigger for the snes and ds

Just lol if you don't own 4 copies of Bayonetta.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Just lol if you don't own 4 copies of Bayonetta.

lol if you don't own a billion versions of RE4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon's Dogma is my most owned game at four copies but one was from PS+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To be completely honest the only remaster I've played to completion in the last 5-6 years has been Shadow of the Colossus. The rest I load up for like an hour or two, say that's nice, and then don't touch again. So I should probably stop wasting money on them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've rebought

sonic adventure 2 gamecube + pc
dead rising 360 + ps4
pikmin gamecube + wii (new motion controls whip though)
metal gear solid 1 on psn
metal gear solid 2 + 3 in the hd collection

i think that's it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I rebought Titanfall2 for the Ps4 because I played it on the bare minimum settings on PC and the online in my region was dead. For some reason there were way more people playing on the console.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would rebuy viva pinata if they put it on steam

or made a new one

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I probably own the first 3 mgs games 3 or 4 times and red alert 2 about the same.

Also this double super bazelgeuse mission in mhw sure is an unfun piece of poo poo huh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

I probably own the first 3 mgs games 3 or 4 times and red alert 2 about the same.

Also this double super bazelgeuse mission in mhw sure is an unfun piece of poo poo huh

Just let the bazels kill eachother

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

Pros of working for EA:

- Some of the best compensation packages in the industry
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- Manageable work hours and paid overtime implemented after EA spouse incident
- Substantial maternity/paternity support regardless of sexual orientation
- Fast track for female and LGBT developers for leadership roles
- Union support for developers like DICE Sweden

Cons of working for EA:

- You work for EA

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I still can't get over the fact that their CEO looks exactly like what you'd expect the head of a villainous megacorp to look like

The previous CEO of EA bought Bioware/Pandemic at an inflated price because the private equity firm he founded held the two developers and he would personally receive a bigger payout the more EA paid for the developers. Andrew Wilson's a rookie when it comes to corporate America.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've been able to play gpu-intensive games on my non-gaming intel gpu laptop but it's reached a limit, it'll eventually softlock, where i can vaguely switch between programs but can't launch any, can't crash the game, and have to flat out shut my pc off

i'll just have to stick to less intensive or old games, like i've been playing torchlight for example

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sunning posted:

Pros of working for EA:

- Some of the best compensation packages in the industry
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- Manageable work hours and paid overtime implemented after EA spouse incident
- Substantial maternity/paternity support regardless of sexual orientation
- Fast track for female and LGBT developers for leadership roles
- Union support for developers like DICE Sweden

Cons of working for EA:

- You work for EA

Based on your knowledge of the industry, what would your rankings be for the better publishers in terms of their treatment / compensation / inclusivity for developers? I know there are no real good guys here but maybe I'd think twice about throwing money at someone who can't even keep the lights on for their employees.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Samuringa posted:

I rebought Titanfall2 for the Ps4 because I played it on the bare minimum settings on PC and the online in my region was dead. For some reason there were way more people playing on the console.

Titanfall 2 had a really long-lasting player pop on PS4. I played from release and didn’t stop playing pick-up games and goon games until like 9 months later, and it still had a really good player pop.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, it’s kind of funny that EA went from running people terribly ragged to having one of the best work environments in the games industry but their terrible past still haunts them.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

Just let the bazels kill eachother

We mostly did but it's still poo poo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've done it goons... I've successfully put together a shelf...

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I've done it goons... I've successfully put together a shelf...

It's weird doing that in a non-virtual environment, isn't it? :hfive:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah its a pain in the butt but its nice to put something together myself that I’m actually going to get use out of.

The shelfspace I had before was getting cramped anyways and this gives me enough room to reorganize.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it, while is was amusing to see Fortnite steal PUBG's lunch, this whole thing will probably be pretty bad for the industry. Like what usually happens is a company gets a major hit, everyone copies them and almost every one fails with a few managing to do okay but not better than the thing they're copying. Fortnite was a blatant and, in many ways, lazy clone that had the popular mode added in as fast as possible to catch the hype train and it actually managed to exceed the original. If you think game companies went hard on clones of popular things before, now they actually have a case where it worked so it's going to be even harder to convince companies to not do that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I put together a new chair and desk a month ago, but it was a bit less satisfying as neither of the packages included an allen wrench and being an idiot, I didn't have one readily available.

Still, I can't argue with the end result of additional comfort and a better desk.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Fortnite was also free to play, launched on more platforms faster and while I haven't played it seems to be less of a buggy lovely mess than PUBG still is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

axelblaze posted:

Thinking about it, while is was amusing to see Fortnite steal PUBG's lunch, this whole thing will probably be pretty bad for the industry. Like what usually happens is a company gets a major hit, everyone copies them and almost every one fails with a few managing to do okay but not better than the thing they're copying. Fortnite was a blatant and, in many ways, lazy clone that had the popular mode added in as fast as possible to catch the hype train and it actually managed to exceed the original. If you think game companies went hard on clones of popular things before, now they actually have a case where it worked so it's going to be even harder to convince companies to not do that.

FPS games were once called doom clones and League of Legends is a dota clone. Copycats being successful is not a new thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to move to a much bigger place soon and I'm actually excited about putting together the new furniture, they're like big model kits you can sit on. I just finished this extremely nerdy gaming-related hacking project and I feel like I'm not done building stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
25 hours in and I may have hit my first major roadblock in La-Mulana 2. Up until today I've generally been able to make decent progress of some nature every single session, but this long weekend that has fallen to a crawl. I feel as if I am just missing one domino that will cause a million others to fall, which probably means I am missing a single puzzle somewhere that I have been overlooking this entire time. I have not yet looked up anything and it's a matter of how long I can stay strong and do so.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

FPS games were once called doom clones and League of Legends is a dota clone. Copycats being successful is not a new thing.

doom clones were at least fun to play in the first place

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody

I'm sore, how're the rest of you feeling today?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm stuck at home sick due to four broken ribs, it hurts losing a ton of mobility and the physical pain is also kinda there.

So a pretty meh September for me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Heartcatch posted:

I put together a new chair and desk a month ago, but it was a bit less satisfying as neither of the packages included an allen wrench and being an idiot, I didn't have one readily available.

Still, I can't argue with the end result of additional comfort and a better desk.

Sounds like someone didn’t go to ikea. I have a million little allen wrenches sitting in a drawer because of that place that I never use because I have a toolset.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Imported from Taiwan. :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Healbot posted:

I'm stuck at home sick due to four broken ribs, it hurts losing a ton of mobility and the physical pain is also kinda there.

So a pretty meh September for me.

Ouch. How'd you break your ribs?

• Locked thread