Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP is just 2001 with slime and gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

If you look carefully, Scott has put at least one obvious scientific inaccuracy in each film, perhaps as a way of letting the audience know that the information being provided is not objective fact.

What makes you think it was intentional?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Alhazred posted:

What makes you think it was intentional?

I don't really care; it just happens once per film, and he doesn't rely much on technobabble outside of one line per film, which makes them stand out more.

Maybe he just happened to drop one line of scientific jargon which happens to be conspicuously incorrect in each film, and also has no sense of humour that could possibly motivate him to follow this pattern of behaviour.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, Ridley Scott deliberately drops a single scientific inaccuracy into every movie as a special message to Hodgepodge, so he'd know that it's only two of them who appreciate the art of movie making and he is Scott's number one fan and best friend :)

Monglo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 2, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bet Star Trek writers did the same thing each episode.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Monglo posted:

Yeah, Ridley Scott deliberately drops a single scientific inaccuracy into every movie as a special message to Hodgepodge, so he'd know that it's only two of them who appreciate the art of movie making and he is Scott's number one fan and best friend :)

Sometimes, I can't sleep at night. I know that there is a repeating pattern across all three films. But... what if it wasn't intentional?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Patterns can be unintentional

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think a film focusing on xenomorphs on earth would be fun. Sort of an Area 51/Half Life approach where they have several specimens in a secure remote underground facility and need to stop them from breaking out and getting to the surface once all hell inevitably breaks loose. Get away from the complicated lore and convoluted backstory and back to the desperation, suspense and panic that made the first 2 films so great and where the stakes are "holy poo poo. We can't let these things get out".

A sequel could follow where of course they got out and are now colonizing and breeding in the mountains or some poo poo. I don't find the origin of the species all that interesting really and would like to see them get back to a basic monster movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a film focusing on xenomorphs on earth would be fun. Sort of an Area 51/Half Life approach where they have several specimens in a secure remote underground facility and need to stop them from breaking out and getting to the surface once all hell inevitably breaks loose. Get away from the complicated lore and convoluted backstory and back to the desperation, suspense and panic that made the first 2 films so great and where the stakes are "holy poo poo. We can't let these things get out".

So AVP + Resurrection ?

BiggerBoat posted:

A sequel could follow where of course they got out and are now colonizing and breeding in the mountains or some poo poo. I don't find the origin of the species all that interesting really and would like to see them get back to a basic monster movie.

So AV|P:R?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Didn't see it^^^

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To be fair, no one actually could see it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair, no one actually could see it.

Unless you saw it in the theatre. Like, I don’t get why they haven’t done a home release transfer that fixes the contrast.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were protecting us from the trash.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

CelticPredator posted:

They were protecting us from the trash.

A trashy horror film? :ohdear:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I just saw 2001 for the first time and Prometheus is the more horror filled remake of it. Straight up all around. Makes me love both films more.

Please tell me you were fortunate enough to see it in 70mm IMAX.

Went to see it twice last week. It's worth it for the audio alone. When all the alarms go off it's eerily horrifying.

CelticPredator posted:

AvP is just 2001 with slime and gore

this is the wokest of all CineD posts imho

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 3, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not 70mm but for sure giant IMAX and it was pretty great. Th sound was loving nuttts.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Trying to explain to fans on an AvP messageboard that "death of the author" is a thing and that we, as audience members, shouldn't be beholden to things Ridley Scott (of all people) says, has been a lot more challenging than it probably should be.

I mean I probably shouldn't be surprised. Fans want "structure" and "truth". Introducing ambiguity and interpretation by stripping away the guiding hand of the Author (when such a guiding hand is present) probably doesn't feel very good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Go read Jivjov's meltdown about the canon of Star Wars to see how having strict continuity fucks with the mind.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Xenomrph posted:

Trying to explain to fans on an AvP messageboard that "death of the author" is a thing and that we, as audience members, shouldn't be beholden to things Ridley Scott (of all people) says, has been a lot more challenging than it probably should be.

I mean I probably shouldn't be surprised. Fans want "structure" and "truth". Introducing ambiguity and interpretation by stripping away the guiding hand of the Author (when such a guiding hand is present) probably doesn't feel very good.

The intent of this sentence is sinister; it is meant to kill the reader.

If you're still with us, I guess authorial intent is fallible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Xenomrph posted:

It's not just alien fans. Recently, I found myself having to just argue that something could be interpreted in a political fashion. This was after so many had done so that the author felt the need to respond. Just saying that the "words could be interpreted in that manner and that the author was probably unaware of this" was not recieved well and annoyed a lot of people.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hodgepodge posted:

The intent of this sentence is sinister; it is meant to kill the reader.

If you're still with us, I guess authorial intent is fallible.

This is fantastic, is it okay if I poach it for personal use?

Edit-- just got a shipping notice from Amazon that my copy of the Alien Covenant "David's Drawings" book should arrive tomorrow, I'm pretty stoked!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 3, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

This is why I always say the only Alien movie that would be a hit with the "true fans" today would be two hours of Ridley Scott and James Cameron sitting side by side reading passages of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual to each other as Futile Escape plays on a loop.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Xenomrph posted:

I was kind of hoping you would, actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- just got a shipping notice from Amazon that my copy of the Alien Covenant "David's Drawings" book should arrive tomorrow, I'm pretty stoked!

Oooooohhhhh.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Paging CelticPredator

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1036857588736962561?s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah, they rule! I never thought they'd get released but was stoked when I found 'em.

Shaw came with a severed david head, which I turned into this

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fantastic

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Covok posted:

It's not just alien fans. Recently, I found myself having to just argue that something could be interpreted in a political fashion. This was after so many had done so that the author felt the need to respond. Just saying that the "words could be interpreted in that manner and that the author was probably unaware of this" was not recieved well and annoyed a lot of people.

I've run into the idea (only on science fiction forums, for reason) that by doing death of the author type interpretations one is trying to 'steal' control of the work away from the author and its not only an arrogant but fundamentally immoral act. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Crimpolioni posted:

I've run into the idea (only on science fiction forums, for reason) that by doing death of the author type interpretations one is trying to 'steal' control of the work away from the author and its not only an arrogant but fundamentally immoral act. Takes all kinds, I guess.

people that are used to things being one way tend to latch onto ideas, no matter how insane, that reinforce the established mode against critique

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This is why I always say the only Alien movie that would be a hit with the "true fans" today would be two hours of Ridley Scott and James Cameron sitting side by side reading passages of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual to each other as Futile Escape plays on a loop.

They kind of did that on Cameron's show where he just gushed about how good Alien was to Scott.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crimpolioni posted:

Yep, in this latest discussion I’ve been trudging through, I got called “arrogant” for questioning Ridley Scott.

:negative:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Crimpolioni posted:

nerds are loving insane, what else is new

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lmao hell yeah.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jonah Galtberg posted:

people that are used to things being one way tend to latch onto ideas, no matter how insane, that reinforce the established mode against critique

Welcome to CineD. Hope you survive the experience

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

BiggerBoat posted:

The precipitating incident is an WY exec having a meltdown in the facility and doing something like repeatedly headbutting one of the aliens while screaming about safety.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So why did Fifield turn into Sasquatch? Was there no better designs other then zombie bigfoot man because that whole scene is still randomly out there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ireq92-7Kk8

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SirDrone posted:

So why did Fifield turn into Sasquatch? Was there no better designs other then zombie bigfoot man because that whole scene is still randomly out there.

Fifield was exposed to the black goo in a pretty indirect way compared to Holloway. Holloway ingested some fully concentrated goo, Fifield had some black-goo infected worm blood sprayed all over his face.

But yea I agree that the design could've been better and there was an alternate CGI based design that they threw out in favor of the one we got.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
the goo mutation effects are odd. I've always thought the general Frankenstein-y effects and Charlie's death with the flamethrower were visual references to The Thing from Another World

But I just like that movie so w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The black goo is basically the God that Weyland was looking for, which is a big part of what amuses David in Prometheus. Weyland is focused on these giant humanoids and David recognizes pretty quickly that the real force of nature they'd been led to is the black goo.

So like God, the black goo works in mysterious ways and is often unpredictable.