Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sininu posted:

Intel integrated graphics doesn't support freesync right?

Not yet, but they do plan to support it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Cancelbot posted:

I think I just got my shipping notification for my 8086k competition; I got a mystery DPD delivery text that a package is on its way and I haven't ordered anything in weeks. I saw a reddit post where someone received theirs recently so it's the only thing I can think of.

Turns out it was! So H310 board? :v:

I'm actually torn, my 4670k is still plenty for what I do, and has been so for 5 years now. I can't justify the upgrade and yet I have a free loving processor sat on my desk.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd sell the 4670K board / chip / DDR3, should pay for the 8086K board / ram and a cooler, wouldn't it?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 2, 2018

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

True, it should net zero even going for a Z370 / 16GB RAM and selling what was there before.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Can I make a retro request in this thread?

If anyone knows there was also a neat spinny Pentium MMX Demo thing that has eluded me, There are just these two pics that you have to really dig for, and no video or anything.

You would shoot little polygonal spheres at it and it would bing and ping and make all kinds of musical noises and the rings would spin around, going from the state in the first image to the state in the second, spinning like those machines they strap you into to make you puke on everyone in a 20 foot radius.

It was cool as poo poo and I wanna play with it again.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I searched Internet Archive with no luck, that seems to be the sort of thing they'd specialize in. If anyone has it stored on a HD somewhere I'm sure they would be glad to host it.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I recommend you hit up https://www.vogons.org there has to be at least one old software hoarder on there that has it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Is the 9700k going to work on a 370 board?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What the hell should I do for an upgrade? I'm on a 3570k that I ocd to 4.3ghz 5 years back. I struggled at 1440p raids in wow last night with a 1070gtx. I feel like the cpu is more of a bottleneck at this point than the gpu. Should I dive in and get an 8700k? Wait for the 9700k? I'm a bit on the fence because late next year cannon lake should be out with ddr5 If I'm not mistaken.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The 9700K is going to be marginally faster but if you don't feel like waiting then the 8700K is fine. The 9-series will come with a fair number of nice-to-haves like a soldered IHS and much higher out-of-box clocks, and possibly slightly higher OCs.

Cannon Lake doesn't have DDR5, I don't think, seeing as there are already Cannon Lake NUCs out, and if you're primarily gaming the 14++ processors are likely to be the fastest thing around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
never mind

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Zotix posted:

What the hell should I do for an upgrade? I'm on a 3570k that I ocd to 4.3ghz 5 years back. I struggled at 1440p raids in wow last night with a 1070gtx. I feel like the cpu is more of a bottleneck at this point than the gpu. Should I dive in and get an 8700k? Wait for the 9700k? I'm a bit on the fence because late next year cannon lake should be out with ddr5 If I'm not mistaken.
The latest move to DX12 has dinged performance quit a bit, even for streamers with significant PCs.

I tried finding some DX11 vs DX12 benchmarks but only found the one, but that might be a reason if you've suddenly run into lower performance.

Ideally, you'd either wait for the 9X00K or Zen 2 in Q1 for the optimal bump in CPU performance. But that also assumes you're CPU bottlenecked; maybe run something like MSI Afterburner and see which of your CPU and GPU are closing in on 100% usage?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
With MMOs the bottleneck could just as much be with your network connection as it would be with your CPU, as some real-time visual updates could literally depend on the inputs of others on the server.

If you've already taken the easier steps such as wiring to your router by Ethernet or making sure your game is running in DirectX 11 mode, you could install the nVidia Game Ready driver for WoW (I think one was released just recently) or try one of the more reputable VPN gaming services out there.

It might still be too early to do a drastic thing such as get a new CPU since at that point you'd also want to reinstall Windows fresh too (and presumably any WoW mods you had on), to avoid any lingering application inconsistencies.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

With MMOs the bottleneck could just as much be with your network connection as it would be with your CPU, as some real-time visual updates could literally depend on the inputs of others on the server.

MMOs just run like rear end in general and are the quintessential "clock as high as you can" single-threaded games. WoW's new DX12 engine doesn't actually help performance any from what I hear.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'll try the dx11 tonight. I did a fresh install of windows before the expansion dropped so that's not that big of a deal.

I think part of my issue is I'm gaming at 1440p on an old cpu. I'm going to hook up my older 1080p monitor tonight and see how that goes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zotix posted:

I'll try the dx11 tonight. I did a fresh install of windows before the expansion dropped so that's not that big of a deal.

I think part of my issue is I'm gaming at 1440p on an old cpu. I'm going to hook up my older 1080p monitor tonight and see how that goes.

If dropping settings doesn't help, it's probably a CPU bottleneck, and in that case dropping your resolution won't help either.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Always the off chance your add-ons are causing problems.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

9900K spotted, appears to be launching 9/14 for ~$500 USD

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And it's soldered whoohoo. Poor AMD, they had a good run for a year.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Has there been any confirmation the new i7 is soldered? All I've seen is about the i9

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The i9s and i7s are going to be the same die, just with and without hyperthreading. It would probably be more expensive to split off the i7s to not solder them.

The low end Ryzens for example were all soldered (except for the APU dies) so I assume this makes logistical sense.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 6, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I've come across a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 with an i5 6500 and 8gb of DDR 2166 (I think?) in it - this is the first time in a while I've come across an out of warranty workstation that they still make boards for.

Currently gaming (occasionally) on an i5 2500k@4.4ghz with a Z77 board, so I have USB 3.0 and all that.

Benchmarks seem to indicate there's not much between these two at stock clocks, so I'm trying to figure out what I should use this for. I could upgrade my i5 2400 media box that I hardly use since buying an android tv, or give it to my dad or something.

Am I missing anything significant out of the skylake generation other than M.2 support on board or USB 3.1?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Zotix posted:

I'm on a 3570k @ 4.2ghz and a 1070 ti. Honestly, my 60hz screen is probably the biggest bottleneck in terms of gaming, but that's not something I do much of these days. I was seriously considering a new build based on a Ryzen 7 2700x, but since the 9700k and 9900k are coming out soon, I'd rather wait and see how they both pan out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does it mean when people say the cpu is soldered? It sounds like s good thing but I thought/assumed it was bad (cause I thought people didn’t like soldered on parts in general).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does it mean when people say the cpu is soldered? It sounds like s good thing but I thought/assumed it was bad (cause I thought people didn’t like soldered on parts in general).

In this case it means the CPU silicon is soldered onto the metal heatspreader, which transfers heat better than the thermal compound Intel was using previously.

A soldered CPU could also mean it's permanently soldered onto the motherboard like in a laptop, but that's not what we mean here. The new Intels still use a socket.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Boris Galerkin posted:

Solder is much better than the TIM that was previously used, but potentially a few degrees worse than ripping the lid off the processor and manually applying liquid metal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno about that.. the solder WAS liquid metal.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

redeyes posted:

Tin is a fairly poor thermal conductor at something like 1/8th what copper can do. The main reason for de-lidding is to reduce the amount of material between the silicon and the copper heatspreader. If there's a fat layer of tin + an aluminum spreader that can't be removed it's not going to be as good as a super-thin layer of liquid metal going directly to copper.

It's still better than packing the gap between the die & spreader with whatever, but direct copper contact is going to be hard to beat.

E: (W/m K) of various metals:
Tin (solder): 62 – 68
Aluminum: 204
Copper: 386
Gallium (Basis of liquid-metal alloys): 41

Harik fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 8, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is twice as thermally conductive as the solder used for CPUs, it's been definitively shown that you get an advantage delidding soldered chips (with great effort) and using liquid metal; preferably with a direct die mount. But even if you just whack the heatspreader back on, it's a measurable improvement.

I mean no-one should do this unless overclocking is your literal job, but it's true.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I managed to fry my non-overclocked i7-4790K and the motherboard so now I get to wait for either the i9 or i7 evidently. Who wants to bet RAM prices may even spike back up again briefly with the release of the 9 series?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Already expected to do so.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180906PD200.html

Not really sure where Samsung and Hynix are coming from on this outlook with regards to DRAM

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Already expected to do so.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180906PD200.html

Not really sure where Samsung and Hynix are coming from on this outlook with regards to DRAM

First guess: forcing a shortage to loot the market.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have this long game in my head when I study electrical and computer engineering where I see myself in thirty years sitting alone, meticulously spinning and packaging bespoke memory DIMMs while wearing my tinfoil hat, grumbling all the while about "corporate collusion" this and "having the knowledge and expertise to overcome the barrier to being able to seize the means of high technology production" that

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I have this long game in my head when I study electrical and computer engineering where I see myself in thirty years sitting alone, meticulously spinning and packaging bespoke memory DIMMs while wearing my tinfoil hat, grumbling all the while about "corporate collusion" this and "having the knowledge and expertise to overcome the barrier to being able to seize the means of high technology production" that

IMO start an International Movement to Nationalise Hynix

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Finally installed the 8086k. The cooler was fun to install (Dark Rock 4) but holy hell is it silent, and aside from me being a retard with XMP timings it's definitely a big upgrade from the 4670k, either through the brute force core speeds or the fact i have 3x the "threads".

Once the thermal paste has bedded in I will have a go at overclocking it. Currently just on a single core turbo of 5GHz which is stock.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
An embargo bork for the 9700K:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1039129885489287168

The 2700X performance is something to behold.

E: On another note, DX12 doesn't appear to have an adverse (1080p) performance impact in Tomb Raider unlike what we've seen in a couple of games.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 10, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Clicking through to the review, gaming tests are run with 1070 (:chloe:) and it's 16% faster in x264 than the 8700K.

Probably not going to be a massive upgrade if you've already got a 8700K but it should be mildly faster in some circumstances.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 10, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Clicking through to the review, gaming tests are run with 1070 (:chloe:) and it's 16% faster in x264 than the 8700K.

Probably not going to be a massive upgrade if you've already got a 8700K but it should be mildly faster in some circumstances.
Compared to Computerbase's benchmark, it just looks like they goofed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm itching to get a 9900K, something Z390 with a PLX chip and some 4000MHz+ RAM. What are the best estimates for the next gen release date at the moment?