Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I Before E posted:

It's like RoboCop: Alex Murphy and RoboCop may share physical parts, but they are separate. RoboCop has to uncover and integrate the parts of Murphy that still remain in his memory, but that doesn't mean he turns back into Murphy, but that RoboCop and Murphy become a new being, a synthesis.

Exactly. Everyone’s familiar with like Robocop or Superman or, y’know, werewolves. Familiar phrases like “he’s dead to me” and “I’m not the same person I was ten years ago.” You can go on like this.

Keep in mind that basically every single Star Wars character sees Anakin and Vader as distinct individuals.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The old EU was a long list of lazy half-assed ideas thrown out by people with no overarching plan, using it to predict the new list of lazy half-assed ideas thrown out by people with no overarching plan seems pretty reasonable

People spend waaaay too much time worrying about “the plan” and/or whether there’s a plan. It doesn’t matter.

Like at the start of Return Of The Jedi, the original plan to rescue Han gets badly hosed up and we never learn exactly what it was. Everyone gets captured and then Luke - who was apparently following his own distinct plan to assassinate Jabba - pulls a last-minute victory out of his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Jacen could time travel in the old EU I think—it had some sort of dorky name like Time Walking or Flow Walking or something like that

Anakin Flow-walker is my favorite intensely white rapper

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cnut the Great posted:

We never see him freeing any slaves. Instead, he casually gives aid to a slave-holding rapist so that he can intentionally induce the same unbearable emotional distress in his son that he himself once felt for his brutalized mother, all as a means to lure his son into a trap and use him as a mere tool to aid in his own ambitions of greater power. His son refuses, so he angrily castrates him and then threatens to murder him if he won't do as he says.

This is a particularly great point: how hosed up is it that Vader goes from wanting to free the slaves to throwing a bone to one of Tatooine's most repellent slaveowners?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

I Before E posted:

Anakin Flow-walker is my favorite intensely white rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHefzQducnM&t=11s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sheevy P's got the moves.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mameluke posted:

This is a particularly great point: how hosed up is it that Vader goes from wanting to free the slaves to throwing a bone to one of Tatooine's most repellent slaveowners?
I really do love the ultimate gag of the prequels. Dooku and Maul actually believed in things, but ultimately get used by Space Mitch McConnell who was just trying to centralize power for himself. People talk about Snoke being some disappointment when the big bad guy of the first six movies was just some bureaucrat dipshit. What makes Palpatine a fun villain is that he just uses people's anger to get his way. He nearly does it again to Luke in Return of the Jedi. It doesn't matter if Dooku is right about the Republic or Anakin is right to want to free the slaves or Luke is right to want to defend his friends. In the world of Star Wars, anger and hatred will ultimately blind you--or as The Last Jedi depicts, lead you to an echo chamber where all that exists is reflections of yourself extending out forever.

At least Dooku and Maul go out still maintaining some sense of scruples or purpose. Vader doesn't even know what he's loving doing anymore by the OT.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palpatine is Anakin's father

Sheev is Luke's grandpappy

Luke is Rey's dad

the will of the force is a snake eating its own rear end, forever

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mameluke posted:

That’s misunderstanding the story.

Vader has captured Han so that Luke will be compelled to rescue him and thereby betray the Republican Alliance and the Jedi. This is because the former are hopelessly ineffectual and the latter are pushing a detached passivity. Vader wants Luke to save his friends.

So while he claims that he is merely testing the machine, Vader’s real goal is obviously to send Han alive and unharmed to Jabba. “He will not be
permanently damaged.” Then, after uniting with Luke to kill the Emperor, they would liberate Jakku as father and son.

Vader’s plan obviously never comes to fruition, which is why you have Luke doing a halfassed assassination on his own, in Episode 6, freeing nobody but Han.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
^ luke wears black with white underneath at the start of episode 6, checks out

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

^ luke wears black with white underneath at the start of episode 6, checks out

Right, but we should go back to the very end of Episode 5, where Chewbacca and Lando fly off to save Han - and Luke stays behind, with the Republican Alliance.

Luke: “Sacrifice Han and Leia?”
Yoda: “If you honour what they fight for, yes.”

The lesson is that you can’t have it both ways. Yoda wants Luke to sacrifice everything to restore the Republic and the Jedi, while Vader’s stance is to say gently caress the Republic. Again, Vader wants Luke to save Han, to teach him about the injustice of the Republic. If you want to actually help people, you need to give up your ideology. It’s part of his plan to institute full galactic communism now.

But when we get to Episode 6, an overconfident Luke tries to have it both ways, and we end up with a ridiculous parody of heroism. Leia is nearly raped, Chewbacca is nearly shot to death, Han and Lando both nearly end up devoured... It’s only through (literal) blind luck that anyone survives. But, more importantly, Luke simply assassinates Jabba and leaves the planet to rot - hence why, in
Episode 7, Tatooine is a barren junkyard and the slave trade is still chugging along. “Regime change.”

It bears repeating that there are two plans: Leia simply wants to grab Han and get out of there, swindling Jabba out of ~40,000 spacebucks in the process. She doesn’t really give a poo poo about Jabba himself. And then, Luke’s plan is just to make a deal with Jabba, killing him if necessary:

“I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit by this, or be destroyed. It's your choice.”

“You should've bargained, Jabba. This is the last mistake you'll ever make.

They miss Vader’s point entirely.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But, more importantly, Luke simply assassinates Jabba and leaves the planet to rot - hence why, in
Episode 7, Tatooine is a barren junkyard and the slave trade is still chugging along. “Regime change.”

Tatooine isn't in TFA.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

kidkissinger posted:

Tatooine isn't in TFA.

Yes it is, because it is Jakku.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yes it is, because it is Jakku.

Nope; those are two completely separate planets.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Nope; those are two completely separate planets.

There's no actual separation between them that is ever shown. They're the same.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tatooine has two suns.

:colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anakin and Vader are not the same being, but Jakku and Tattooine definitely are the same planet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's no actual separation between them that is ever shown. They're the same.

Do i need to post the map again? Do you know how maps work?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

never mind jiv jov's literalness, it's one thing to say that Jakku and Tatooine represent similar things but they aren't literally the same planet. that's silly

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Do i need to post the map again? Do you know how maps work?

Okay, show the maps from the movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't remember that scene.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That map is a canonical source. It is just as relevant to the films as the films themselves

Maybe educate yourself a TINY bit on how the star wars continuity works? Then you won't look like a huge dumbass every single time you post.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jakku is very clearly show as having one sun in TFA.

Tatooine has two.

I get that youre just antagonizing jivjov but we really don't need another detail about canon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Surely there must be times when a planet orbiting a binary system will only have one star visible from any particular point on the planets surface

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

That map is a canonical source. It is just as relevant to the films as the films themselves

Maybe educate yourself a TINY bit on how the star wars continuity works? Then you won't look like a huge dumbass every single time you post.

You're once again confusing canon with continuity.

So Star Wars continuity works with that if there's a book that says that Jakku and Tatooine are two different planets, then they are different planets in the movies.

That's like saying that if there's a book where the Giant Rat of Sumatra is a code-name for Moriarty's eviler clone, then that would mean that's what Doctor Watson meant.

jivjov posted:

Then you won't look like a huge dumbass every single time you post.

:ironicat:

kidkissinger posted:

Tatooine has two.

That's an optical illusion that happens on Earth too.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

If anything, the inverse of this correlation is more commonplace.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Surely there must be times when a planet orbiting a binary system will only have one star visible from any particular point on the planets surface

Why is this insane argument so important to you people

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kidkissinger posted:

Why is this insane argument so important to you people

Some people just can't handle the idea of two desert planets not being the same planet

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tatooine is imporant because it reflects the state of the galaxy in every trilogy.

In the originals, it's a frontier that's alternatively lawless or oppressive.

In the prequels, it's a functioning but corrupt society.

In the sequels, it's a junkyard where demoralized drudges strip off parts of the old movies to produce nothing of value.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That's like saying that if there's a book where the Giant Rat of Sumatra is a code-name for Moriarty's eviler clone, then that would mean that's what Doctor Watson meant.

Actually, the Story Group (speaking ex cathedra) established that the Giant Rat of Sumatra was just one of the Colossal Schemes of Baron Maupertuis.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

In the sequels, it's a junkyard where demoralized drudges strip off parts of the old movies to produce nothing of value.

:hmmyes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tatooine has yet to appear in any Sequel Trilogy film.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

Tatooine has yet to appear in any Sequel Trilogy film.

Maybe Kylo Ren will try to destroy it with the death star 4 in star wars 9

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe Kylo Ren will try to destroy it with the death star 4 in star wars 9

I wouldn't put it past them to have Tatooine shown up in IX; I doubt they'd destroy it though.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
They destroyed Coruscant in Force Awakens so I wouldn't put it past Abrams to blow up Tatooine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OctoberCountry posted:

They destroyed Coruscant in Force Awakens so I wouldn't put it past Abrams to blow up Tatooine.

Huh? Coruscant didn't appear in TFA at all, let alone get blown up.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jivjov posted:

Huh? Coruscant didn't appear in TFA at all, let alone get blown up.

isn't that one of the planets destroyed by the big laser planet and we see it from whatever that world Lupita's CGI character is on

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Exactly, the First Order blow up that city planet that's the seat of government for the Republic with their super death star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

grieving for Gandalf posted:

isn't that one of the planets destroyed by the big laser planet and we see it from whatever that world Lupita's CGI character is on

No; Starkiller destroys the Hosnian system, including Hosnian Prime. Coruscant doesn't appear in TFA at all.