Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
theres a 0day out today or smth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

needs local execution to abuse a task scheduler api call to get system

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

needs local execution to abuse a task scheduler api call to get system

do you janice in accounting?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

works

for

me

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Krankenstyle posted:

i wrote a script that generated a csv file today & i figured id be nice and put in the windows line endings and everything. mouse over & the tooltip says "comma-separated values", sweet so i double click & excel opens the file with all columns in the same column

what kind of idiocy is that, if its gonna assume delimters on a csv file, fuckin it should assume commas. works fine with tabs in .tsv files but i bet thats just because it assumes tabs always

12:15 its a piece of poo poo

they did some change to excel so you can no longer open .csv files by double-clicking on them to get the correct separated list, instead you need to open excel and then select the Data tab and click the "from text" button, there you can select the .csv file and get the correct import options to get a delimited file

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

i wrote a script that generated a csv file today & i figured id be nice and put in the windows line endings and everything. mouse over & the tooltip says "comma-separated values", sweet so i double click & excel opens the file with all columns in the same column

what kind of idiocy is that, if its gonna assume delimters on a csv file, fuckin it should assume commas. works fine with tabs in .tsv files but i bet thats just because it assumes tabs always

12:15 its a piece of poo poo

What Excel does with a csv file when you open it is determined by what is set as the "list separator" under Control Panel -> Region and language -> Formats -> Advanced. That says for example semicolon and your file uses commas, then whelp.

Edit:
If the first line in the csv file is "sep=," it will tell Excel to use commas as separator. But I think that is an Excel specific thing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 30, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ugh thats idiotic but thx

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, it's excel

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like it doesn't "Excel" at opening csv files.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you know what it also doesn't excel at https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1032261682637295618

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol the mrs was just complaining about that yesterday. it works just well enough that people start to trust it and don't notice when it starts loving data up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

uggghh gently caress a bunch of auto-conversions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i often need to write pre-decimal currency amounts as x.y.z (daler.mark.skilling) and at least once every 5 new spreadsheet i forget to set the column to text and it starts turning everything into dates

soooo annoying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they arent real currency values, split them into separate columns

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thats from 2016

prolly still relevant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

if they arent real currency values, split them into separate columns

no, thats idiotic

graph posted:

thats from 2016

prolly still relevant

still is in whatever version they use at my work

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

speaking as a scientist who has done genetic analysis exactly twice: why would you ever use excel?

jesus gently caress why

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft literally stymieing human progress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Boiled Water posted:

speaking as a scientist who has done genetic analysis exactly twice: why would you ever use excel?

jesus gently caress why

at least around here, most research is done in public institutions that need support contracts and so made them with microsoft back in 1990 or whenever, and theyve renewed them ever since to mounting expense. hence the bullshit office package is everywhere & everyone uses it because other software packages are either unsupported or cost additional moneys

this is basic stuff duder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pram posted:

microsoft literally stymieing human progress

microsoft stymie? thats our shaggar! *laughtrack*

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

jesus gently caress why

You dump your CSV into it and poo poo out some tables, charts and graphs for publishing.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Krankenstyle posted:

at least around here, most research is done in public institutions that need support contracts and so made them with microsoft back in 1990 or whenever, and theyve renewed them ever since to mounting expense. hence the bullshit office package is everywhere & everyone uses it because other software packages are either unsupported or cost additional moneys

this is basic stuff duder

Software development for life sciences is heavily funded by NIH grants. They even provide lovely overloaded servers you can run your data against.

https://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi

I don't think anyone is doing anything more than making a pivot table because they can't be assed to learn python.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I wonder what mankind could do with all the computational resources spent ordering mcdonalds and having alexa flush your toilet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
order mcdonalds and have alexa flush your toilet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

your raspberry pi isn't going to cure cancer just because it's not mining monero or whatever the gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Software development for life sciences is heavily funded by NIH grants. They even provide lovely overloaded servers you can run your data against.

https://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi

I don't think anyone is doing anything more than making a pivot table because they can't be assed to learn python.

ya pivot tables. sure nobody uses anything else except opening goddamn files destroys the data

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

your raspberry pi isn't going to cure cancer just because it's not mining monero or whatever the gently caress

No, your right. It's just going to be giving you cancer from exposed solder.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Seriously: why would this be checked by default?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Schadenboner posted:

those aren't on the secure desktop either, what the hell

it's fractally naive

(it's from the virtualbox for windows install package, for people who are wondering)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dont be mean to me posted:

(it's from the virtualbox for windows install package, for people who are wondering)

I just needed to spin up an linux to check out whether Pi-Hole it worth it, I guess I could have done it on AWS or something but :effort:?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
hyper-v :getin:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Suicide requests forbidden in YOSPOS.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

how's larry supposed to afford his second private hawaiian island if that checkbox isn't marked, comrade?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

from a security perspective there really isn't much difference between allowing the same untrusted actor to run one or any number of drivers on your system

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

from a security perspective there really isn't much difference between allowing the same untrusted actor to run one or any number of drivers on your system

if it's pointless, then why have the checkbox at all?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

if it's pointless, then why have the checkbox at all?

at least if it was default-unchecked it could be argued to be a shield against an admin's momentary airheadedness.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

jesus gently caress why

heh heh study biology in the sheets

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
win 10 mail is showing ads to me now

it's been about a year since i got this win 10 laptop, the timing can't be a coincidence

ugh i just want to keep an eye on incoming emails on my secondary accounts without having them forwarded to my main

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol you should have thought ahead and bought enterprise so that you could disable that feature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol azure is hosed this morning for the south central region
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/status/