Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
People who're saying that in Diablo 3 your character building choices don't matter are correct, but make it sound like a bad thing.

Diablo 1 straight up out of the box had three difficulty levels (ascending): 1) sorcerer 2) rogue 3) warrior

Diablo 2 introduced skills and it took years until patch 1.10 where they actually tried to balance the skill trees via synergies to make the character build choices non-binary.

Diablo 3 just took this concept into it's logical conclusion where you can't shoot yourself in the foot permanently, you'll only find yourself without the gear you need to make a build (just like before) but you don't need to regrind 20 hours to get to the build you wanted to try out.

In PoE the stat distribution matters and that kinda sucks because it's not an RPG where your character flaws make for interesting gameplay. You just do less DPS in a game that's a DPS race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, but to hoover stuff up you have to have the cursor on at least one hooverable thing. And that is actually stupidly finicky for how often you have to do it. Trying to do it while being shot at sucks.

Ultimately my son decided he doesn't like the game very much, which coming off of Overwatch as the most immediate comparison I can't really blame.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Darksiders II: finish level (?), trek back to where entrance is, nope that’s locked, go round in circles for a half-hour in a map that really isn’t that big.

Eventually give up and google it - there is no exit, you have to open your map and fast-travel somewhere else

:raise:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Dark Souls III, since I've bought in on a PSN sale - overall I like it , but I very much dislike when the player and the AI play by different rules, by which I mainly refer to lock-on abilities. The enemies' lock on range seems to be infinite, their projectiles' range infinite and their focus perfect, and yet I can lock-on to enemies up to maybe 10 meters away, and even the bows' arrows, which work without locking-on, seem to dissaper after some distance rather than drop off (I've tested in on a grey dragon of some kind). Also they seem to be able strike as I lay down, which seems to induce invicibility in enemies (or maybe they have perfect timing).

I also dislike the "realistic" aspect, like the weapons not changing while you lay down or make an action - this adds little to the overall strategy and seems mostly an annoyance, and yes, I've died because I've pressed the "change weapon" button and because I was in the few last frames of an animation it stayed the same, so that colours my perception a bit.

And the tree boss was really bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Souls 3 continues the series trend towards having way too many gimmicky bosses that seem impossible at first but are made easy with this One Weird Trick instead of just learning what they do in a natural way. That can be fun every once in awhile but it feels cheap when it's every other dude.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the tree boss is hilarious. if slamming the hell out of a big rancid nutsack to emerge victorious doesn't resonate with you i don't want to know you

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I feel the same way about Hollow Knight's DLC. Getting 100 in the base game is a fun though difficult challenge with the hardest parts being the true final boss, the third arena, and navigating from one end of the map to the other without getting hit as you're holding a delicate flower.

The final DLC adds another arena. Here you fight boss rushes full of souped regulars mixed with in with new ones. You can't fight the 3 new bosses out in the game-world despite them being existing NPCs with ample setup. There are no checkpoints, there are no upgrades. If you die 35 minutes into a boss rush then you must start over. The only new option is the choice to gimp yourself to make the arena harder.

It's such a massive and jarring spike in difficulty from the tough-but-fair rest of the game that I've lost interesting replaying the game anymore.

You could fight three bosses in a row in Scholar of the First Sin and that game was kind enough to have a permanent checkpoint between fights.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Szurumbur posted:

I very much dislike when the player and the AI play by different rules

I already love Nioh in general, but this is one of the big things that REALLY do it for me too, the enemies in Nioh don't get to just infinitely swing on you like a Souls enemy can, both you and every enemy in the game including bosses has a stamina or stagger bar which is always shown to you, so when the human-y bosses in Nioh throw out their big bang ultra attacks, they're doing so at a detriment if it misses much like yourself, they can't just attack forever so you can actually have a back and forth.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been tearing through the various isometric RPGs recently, trying to find a decent one to play. To that end, I returned to Wasteland 2, because I remember having a pretty good time with it a few years ago. The thread that used to be in Games appears to be gone, and all of the wonderful advice in the OP that demystified character creation along with it. I spent 2 hours tabbing back and forth between a page on reddit, a steam guide, and the game. I finally got pissed off and uninstalled it. Nobody, it seems, is capable of writing a guide in plain loving english. Instead they dive straight into the granular math that drives the systems and my eyes cross because the "guide for beginners" instantly loses me. I'm looking for the remedial version and all that I can find is the advanced stuff.

So that's my complaint: RPGs that have completely insane character creation rules using some dumbass proprietary system instead of something easy to understand. It's something Pillars of Eternity actually got right. The stats in that game are well explained, and it's not just a wall of numbers thrown at you that you're expected to parse.

I'm in almost exactly the same situation, I just put PoE Deadfire on hold for a bit and wanted to dip back into Wasteland 2. Rolling a party is lovely for the exact reason you said. And once you're in the game the beginning is slow as heck, I didn't make it past Ag Center before I got bored.

Which is a shame because I seem to remember the game getting pretty good once you made it over some initial humps and got your characters leveled and kitted up a bit.

I have high hopes for Wasteland 3 but that'll be at least another year or so.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

I mean yeah, DS2 has a lot of optional content. Much less than 90%. Memory of the Old Iron King is one of the areas that people who don't have the DLC can be summoned into, unless both my memory and wikis are lying to me. I feel like if they didn't intend it to be a coop thing they wouldn't have put these in (I still soloed it because Souls multiplayer is garbage). It's very well hidden and has almost nothing to do with the critical path. Much like the other DLC coop areas it's pretty much just a gauntlet that throws a poo poo ton of enemies at you with a boss at the end. It feels a bit less tacked on since it has a unique boss and some plot relevance, but it's still pretty much just "You wanted to see that Alonne guy we've been talking about and maybe get some of his stuff? Here you go".

Of course you could say all Dark Souls DLC content is optional, but you beat the DS2 DLC by grabbing the three crowns, which you don't need to kill Alonne to do. Fighting him is just a bonus challenge like Kalameet in DS1.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I could have sworn it didn't have the stones but I'm not going to install the game to find out for certain, but it's not that well hidden and it's required for one of the spikes used to get Nadalia's soul. Your comparison to Alsanna doesn't work because you can just shoot her with a bow and get her soul if you don't want to deal with the loyce souls poo poo. So that's however optional you count it as. Because you can skip almost all of Dark Souls 2 just by grinding a million souls or so at the beginning and going straight to the castle.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Somfin posted:

Also Path of Exile has some excellent counter-intuitive builds based on dropping a couple stats to zero and allowing you to focus on everything else. Like the Melee-Strength build standby "never crit, never miss" or the slightly less widely used "never dodge, never stagger."

I feel like the 'no crit, no miss' thing kind of sums up the worst about most of these types of games. I've never liked accuracy stats because the first hour is always standing around, swinging a big stick at a skeleton very slowly. And then nothing happens a fifth of the time, and you feel like poo poo, like your time is just being wasted. Meanwhile critical hits are a little burst of flair. They don't really change anything, but seeing a number with an exclamation point or whatever is a little bit of fun. So having to drop crits, a small but good feeling mechanic, to lose missing, a small and tedious mechanic, is like, 'pay your Fun Tax to be Optimal.'

It's kind of a part of how a lot of these games are really stingy with letting the player be powerful until they've put in enough time. They're almost all guilty of the 'the real game starts after 50 hours' thing, usually with the whole 'replay the game 3 times' thing because d2 did it. And yeah, some people like a feeling of progression, like you went from a nobody to being unstoppable. But I'd rather go from 'good' to 'great' instead of starting at 'literal garbage.' I'm likely to quit before I ever get to the 'cool' part.

My friends are all big fans of 2nd edition D&D, and their campaigns are all low level. And I just don't get that. Being a level 1 mage- hell, a level 1 anything- in 2e is just so dull. And yeah, it's a tabletop roleplaying game, you're doing things other than fighting, but D&D is all about fighting. It's like 90% of the rulebook.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tangents posted:

I feel like the 'no crit, no miss' thing kind of sums up the worst about most of these types of games. I've never liked accuracy stats because the first hour is always standing around, swinging a big stick at a skeleton very slowly. And then nothing happens a fifth of the time, and you feel like poo poo, like your time is just being wasted. Meanwhile critical hits are a little burst of flair. They don't really change anything, but seeing a number with an exclamation point or whatever is a little bit of fun. So having to drop crits, a small but good feeling mechanic, to lose missing, a small and tedious mechanic, is like, 'pay your Fun Tax to be Optimal.'

It's kind of a part of how a lot of these games are really stingy with letting the player be powerful until they've put in enough time. They're almost all guilty of the 'the real game starts after 50 hours' thing, usually with the whole 'replay the game 3 times' thing because d2 did it. And yeah, some people like a feeling of progression, like you went from a nobody to being unstoppable. But I'd rather go from 'good' to 'great' instead of starting at 'literal garbage.' I'm likely to quit before I ever get to the 'cool' part.

My friends are all big fans of 2nd edition D&D, and their campaigns are all low level. And I just don't get that. Being a level 1 mage- hell, a level 1 anything- in 2e is just so dull. And yeah, it's a tabletop roleplaying game, you're doing things other than fighting, but D&D is all about fighting. It's like 90% of the rulebook.

I feel there is no "real game" in aRPGs because all you do is spend inordinate amounts of time building up a character with stats and items to make them better and more efficient at gameplay that is fundamentally unfun and brainless.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Hollow Knight's White Palace can still go eat a Hefty bag of cocks, gently caress this poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inco posted:

Hollow Knight's White Palace can still go eat a Hefty bag of cocks, gently caress this poo poo

If its any consolation, the new DLC to see the new ending is an even more unbelievable slog of a different variety youre fine to quit now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inco posted:

I like that it's a silver place full of silver saw blades and spikes where the primary background objects are silver spikes and saw blades. It's also the first, and only(?), place in the game where bouncing off of hazards becomes necessary to progress. Outside of a few of the more bullshit segments there, the only other time you have to do it is to get a few collectibles in the dark place IIRC

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

It's also the first, and only(?), place in the game where bouncing off of hazards becomes necessary to progress. Outside of a few of the more bullshit segments there, the only other time you have to do it is to get a few collectibles in the dark place IIRC

They're not 'hazards' in the sense that they don't kill you, but the game forces you to learn to pogo as early as Fungal Wastes where you need to pogo off the purple jumpy things.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I like that it's a silver place full of silver saw blades and spikes where the primary background objects are silver spikes and saw blades. It's also the first, and only(?), place in the game where bouncing off of hazards becomes necessary to progress. Outside of a few of the more bullshit segments there, the only other time you have to do it is to get a few collectibles in the dark place IIRC

I'm absolutely sure you have to pogo off of sharp stuff before then.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bloodlust: Shadowhunter is one of my favorite jank fests. It's a modern day, vampire themed hack and slash with randomly generated dungeons made by one guy. Despite it's awkwardness, the game has a certain charm and dungeon delving is pretty fun. It gets bonus points for having the most broken, permanent stat increasing alchemy since Morrowind (for example, leveling up gives you 5 points to spend on attributes. With my current character's alchemy score, I can make potions with fairly common ingredients that increase the character's stats by 55 points a pop).

The sequel, Bloodlust: Nemesis hit early access a few days ago. The developer has cleaned up a lot of the stiffness of the first game, and the overall presentation is leaps and bounds above its predecessor. The broken alchemy is gone, but, really, that's probably for the best.

What drags it down, hard, though, is the wraith. The wraith is a randomly spawning entity that occasionally attacks after moving to a new zone. It's unkillable and fast. The only way to escape it is to move to a new zone.

It doesn't deal any damage or incur any kind of mechanical penalty. It merely drags you to its lair.

Which is a load screen away from the game's start point.

Which is two load screens away from the game's main hub.

Which is where the wraith can spawn.

With most stuff dragging a game down, I can tell what the line of thinking was. Usually, they're just questionable design decisions that could have made sense at the time. The wraith, though. I can't figure out how the wraith's inclusion is supposed to make the game better. There might be some story based reason, but even then, this is a really lovely mechanic.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Somfin posted:

I'm absolutely sure you have to pogo off of sharp stuff before then.

Man, I was doing that super early as soon as I figure out it was doable.

The game doesn't certainly require you to do so, but there are very tangible benefits for learning it early.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've been playing Dying Light a lot since I got it on sale, and one of the things that bugs me is that the DLC expansion, The Following, is actually DLC and not a standalone. As in, it uses your character from the main game, including all of their inventory and previously unlocked skills.

It adds some new crafting stuff, sure, but if you had played the base game enough (as in, done most of the side quests), you're basically an obnoxiously rich armor-plated zombie shredding murder golem at this point, with enough healing items to tranquilize 50 horses.

It would have been cool if the DLC was a standalone/restart that let you rebuild your way up based on your now rock-solid system mastery of how the game works (and if they were really clever, that would be an intended curve to make the player feel like they're outsmarting the game). Instead it just feels like you're going through the motions with your pockets stuffed with war crimes. At least the scenery looks great, though.

This actually reminds me of the worst thing about the first game, which is changing a game about fluid movement and clowning people with dropkicks from rooftops into a depressingly stock-standard first person shooter where you trade headshots in tiny cramped corridors with endless same-y goons. I'm not sure what they thinking with that one but it absolutely did not land.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Morpheus posted:

Just hold down the interact button to hoover everything up around you. That's a thing in the first Borderlands, isn't it? It's been a while since I've played.

Anyway in DQXI, casting Zoom while indoors no longer has you bash your head on the ceiling. 0/10 fake DQ game.

WHAT
brb canceling preorder

Well not really but not bashing the head if cast indoors is a sad removal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Not a big fan of the new small-object heat move. I liked the old one better. It applies to a lot of things, so a traffic cone, phone book or steel business card would all play out the same.

Old

https://i.imgur.com/pdeICfX.mp4

New

https://i.imgur.com/nwI4vzp.mp4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not "dragging it down", per se, but I started Prey last night and am already experiencing analysis paralysis in my decision making. I'm worried about making wrong choices with my upgrade tree, my weapons and am sort of overwhelmed with all the options I have and places to go. I love the risk/reward of exploring versus uncovering new mimics.

I'm only in the lobby.

Game is tense and very creepy so far but seriously worrying about loving myself. Hopefully most any build is playable. Hoping the scope eventually does more and allows me to reveal some of those fuckers by scanning.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just did whatever seemed cool to me and never felt like I made a wrong choice so you should be fine

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Put all points into shotguns and things that make shotguns better. Become the God of Shotgun

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm play prey right now and yeah I don't think you can really gently caress yourself over. It seems like there are 3 or 4 ways to solve any problem.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Not a big fan of the new small-object heat move. I liked the old one better. It applies to a lot of things, so a traffic cone, phone book or steel business card would all play out the same.

They toned down/removed a lot of the moves in Y6/YK2 to be more 'realistic' along with the new engine apparently :shrug:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

BiggerBoat posted:

Not "dragging it down", per se, but I started Prey last night and am already experiencing analysis paralysis in my decision making. I'm worried about making wrong choices with my upgrade tree, my weapons and am sort of overwhelmed with all the options I have and places to go. I love the risk/reward of exploring versus uncovering new mimics.

I'm only in the lobby.

Game is tense and very creepy so far but seriously worrying about loving myself. Hopefully most any build is playable. Hoping the scope eventually does more and allows me to reveal some of those fuckers by scanning.

I think you can pretty much do whatever you want. There’s heaps of ways to solve problems. Just enjoy it. It’s probably one of my favourite games.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Definitely upgrade your shotgun stuff, though. It's a beastly weapon. There's an enemy later on that the game recommends avoiding, and with the shotgun pumped up, you can just charge right into that fucker's face and blow it away.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Definitely upgrade your shotgun stuff, though. It's a beastly weapon. There's an enemy later on that the game recommends avoiding, and with the shotgun pumped up, you can just charge right into that fucker's face and blow it away.

You mean Nightmare? You don't even have to do that. Just set some fortified turrets up and they should take care of him for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fortifying turrets costs shotgun points. You can't be the God of Shotguns while putting points into other things

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

You mean Nightmare? You don't even have to do that. Just set some fortified turrets up and they should take care of him for you.

I've gone too far with typhon mods, time to become the shotgun god.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Kay Kessler posted:

I meant that, yeah. I'm trying to not spoil it for the guy. Unless he knows about that.

In either case, shotgun supremacy fo' life. It's seriously a great weapon. And, as mentioned, there's tons of solutions for obstacles. It's really a well-crafted game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
gently caress hard mode in Dead Cells. Removing between-level health stations is lazy as gently caress.

Not getting a health recharge for 3 levels in a row (including after Conjunctivitis) sure is awesome, let me tell you.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm only in the lobby.

If you're still at the Lobby, go wild exploring. There are multiple ways to get in places and even if you find an enemy your pistol can't take down by itself, there should be something around to help you down it easily. Don't worry about Abilities but make sure you don't forgo Combat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oldstench posted:

gently caress hard mode in Dead Cells. Removing between-level health stations is lazy as gently caress.

Not getting a health recharge for 3 levels in a row (including after Conjunctivitis) sure is awesome, let me tell you.
Dead Cells is one of many, many Steam games that were ruined during early access.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dead Cells is one of many, many Steam games that were ruined during early access.

How do you mean? Is it the thing with hardcore players bitching the game's too easy prompting devs to make it harder to the point where it's inaccessible to new players?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Samuringa posted:

If you're still at the Lobby, go wild exploring. There are multiple ways to get in places and even if you find an enemy your pistol can't take down by itself, there should be something around to help you down it easily. Don't worry about Abilities but make sure you don't forgo Combat.

Yeah, thanks. I'm figuring it out. Built my first glue bridge to circumvent a key card and that felt great. Game is pretty bad rear end and I always feel like I am in danger which is good and what I want in a scary game. Thing dragging it down so far though is, holy poo poo, the load times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oldstench posted:

When do you even get health stations in hard mode? I tried hard mode once and still hadn't seen a health station by the first boss so I died, and that did not seem like much fun so I never bothered with it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vic posted:

How do you mean? Is it the thing with hardcore players bitching the game's too easy prompting devs to make it harder to the point where it's inaccessible to new players?

Subnautica suffered from this, too.