Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

PierreTheMime posted:

I bring you the Primaris waifus:

:nyoron:

That army, and its maker, needs to be purged with promethium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

PierreTheMime posted:

I can only imagine what that player smelled like.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PierreTheMime posted:

If it gave just one sperglord a "MY IMMERSION" seizure, then it was worth all the money and effort to make that army. I salute his willingness to go the extra lightyear to troll the 40k community. :japan:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

If it gave just one sperglord a "MY IMMERSION" seizure, then it was worth all the money and effort to make that army. I salute his willingness to go the extra lightyear to troll the 40k community. :japan:

No, this stuff is abhorrent in every community.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PierreTheMime posted:

This rules and is obviously a joke, you guys are really loving weird about anime.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Ew anime. Muh 40k lore.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PierreTheMime posted:

Im the lack of Codex Astartes-compliant squad or company markings.

:sigh:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I always try to say at least one positive thing about someone else’s work no matter how else I may feel about it, so...the transfers seem pretty good quality?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:NoVA TRIP REPORT:siren:
Well, I’m back a day early. Day 3 of the GT was not for me, given that I’ve got a wife and kid and also that I had already notched three losses.
Let’s rewind: I couldn’t get into the Narrative events I wanted to (they filled up before going public!), but I still wanted to do NoVA, and I figured I’d try my hand at the 40k GT. My in-laws live in Annapolis, so that gave me a free place to stay about one hour away.

My Army:
I brought my Black Legion. Taking to heart the notion that I needed a way to deal with Knights, I decided to bring my own knight, and get my two Helverins converted up for use.

The army is roughly two battalions and a superheavy detachment. The Battalions contain 4 chaos marine squads that are 5 dudes with plasma, plus a rhino full of Berserkers, Abaddon as Warlord, three sorcerers, and two squads of cultists, one with 10 dudes, and one with 24 dudes. It’s got 18 CP, plus the Hand of Knight Relic. Everyone is black legion, and everyone but the Berserkers are mark of Slaanesh. Yeah, it’s got knights, but they’re renegades and I’m one of the few lists running actual chaos space marines.

The Helverins got painted up literally last week. Here are some shots of the near-finished models. These two beautiful perfect bois got plenty of praise during the event, especially the forgefiend head one.

Ok, but how’d it do? Here’s a quick rundown of my games:
Day 1: I’m sorry, you have *how* many CP?
Game 1: Dark Eldar + Eldar
Dude was running a trio of ravagers, two Razorwings, three Archons, some Wracks, a trio of Taluses, and some Venoms full of warriors. Plus a Haemonculus and Urien Rakarth and a farseer skyrunner, and two spiritseers.. I got hosed over pretty hard by his helm relic early on, which both denied my powers and also blew my sorcerers up. His taloses wiped out my berserkers and I wasn’t able to stop his jets from clearing out my backfield before I could kill them. Dude also had plenty of CP regen, and after turn 3 I just stopped tracking his usage because he had more than he started with. I got tabled, losing 40-9.

Game 2: Guard + Blood Angels + Knights
Ah, these fuckin’ lists. I played two of them, and they tended to come in two flavors. This was the former, with a battalion of blood angels and a trio of knights. This list also had plenty of CP regen, plus the biggest “feel bad” moment of the tournament for me, when I killed the first of the dude’s three knights only to have him force it to explode on a 4+, CP reroll the result to get the explosion, then recover all 3 CP he spent. The explosion got a 10” radius, and killed my knight, two sorcerers, Abaddon, a squad of marines, and halved two others, basically ending the game for me on T2. I lost 37 – 19.

Game 3: Guard + Blood Angels + Knights
Don’t be fooled by the bullshit names on the lists if you read the results in the BCPlayer app – those “Catachan” lists are really AM/BA/Knight lists. This was flavor #2, which runs a blood angels supreme command and a single Castellan. This list had both the Kurov’s Aquila and the Veris Vitae, so he rolled a D6 for each CP used to recover points on a 5+, and an extra D6 for each of his strategems to recover another CP. This was important because his jam was to keep using CP to get the knight back up, which I discovered could happen multiple times per game (though not if it explodes). I had to stop using CP to keep him from regen-ing back up to 2 so I could finish the loving thing off, which was a pretty “feels bad” moment tbh. I finally kill the thing but get housed on objectives (I was progressive, he was endgame) after Abaddon gets killed in the explosion from a hellhound that dealt six goddamn mortal wounds. I lose, 32 – 22. So uh, better, but still rough.

Day 1 recap: I was pretty exhausted from not getting much sleep the night before, plus I didn’t get to meet up with anyone save SRM in the restroom for a moment, so it was kind of a lovely, lonely day for me. At this point, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to do NoVA again. Also, gently caress those AM/BA/Knight lists. Overall my opponents were all nice, decent people; their lists were just brutally unfun to play against. Also, they were painted like rear end.

Day 2: Crawling Back to Respectability
Day 2 started off rough when I realized I left my wallet at my in-laws’ place. Fortunately, I keep $20 emergency money in my backpack, but parking was $10, so I was gonna have to think lean for lunch.

Game 4: Eldar
Eldar, featuring three fire prisms, a wave serpent full of wraithguard, some aspect warriors, guardians, and a bunch of psykers. This time, things go better, as I push forward with Abaddon confidently, the Berserkers finally make contact (killing a bunch of rangers and swooping hawks), I down the wave serpent and its passengers, plus a pair of the fire prisms and a bunch of aspects. I lose the knight and both helverins in the process, and probably get greedy at the end of the game pushing forward with abaddon when I should have just fallen back and scored points, but the end result is my first win! 24-21. Morale improves! Also, I’m finally figuring out the army and playing better. I think I could have won the prior game if I’d been a bit smarter.

Game 5: Guard
2,000 points of beautifully-painted Cadians, no vehicles. Yeah, read that again. No. Vehicles. Just a fuckton of metal guard, including rough riders, storm troopers, and a fuckload of mortars. This guy was incredibly nice, but it was only his 5th game of eighth edition and every one of his turns took a million goddamn years. They gave us chess clocks at one point, starting with my loving turn for some reason and I lost 12/30 minutes to him shooting overwatch with a single squad when he used the stratagem to huck a frag grenade with everyone. I basically ran out of time right as I finished my 4th turn, but that was good enough to finish killing some key units. I win out by investigating more and holding more objectives, giving me a 25-19 win.
Also at this point, Shadow Daishi (SD47) showed up with my wallet, having driven an hour out of his way to meet up with my wife to grab it. The dude is an absolute loving legend.

Game 6: Guard
Catachan guard, but like, actual catachans, in hats and urban camo. Three squads of vets, some special weapons, two Basilisks, a Manticore, two Leman Russes, two squads of Ogryns with shields and sticks, a preacher, two psykers, and some company commanders. Oh yeah, and a Shadowsword. This game was crazy, with loving terrible rolls on both sides—my opponent only got back like 2 CP all game and only started with 9, which was a tournament first for my opponents. The Shadowsword struggled to do damage all game, ensuring my knight and both armigers lived until turn 4, letting me kill off the Russes pretty easily. Meanwhile, the Berserkers put in some real loving work, wiping out several squads, including the ogryns while Abaddon and his cultists swept up the middle. Then I hosed up pretty bad by charging the shadowsword, which had 5 wounds left. Fun fact: The Shadowsword can shoot Overwatch while it is in combat. Also fun fact: Abaddon cannot survive a Shadowsword cannon to the loving face. Still, I sweep all his troops and hold every objective on a couple of turns, giving me a 29-20 win. 3-0 on day 2 and 3-3 overall! WOOOOOO!

Day 2 recap: A much better day, and not just because of the wins. Games were more competitive and more fun. After game 6, I meet up with the NoVA goon crew and we grab some drinks and shoot the poo poo. They’re all great people, and it’s a good time. Day 2 redeems the experience, and I think I’ll do it again next year.

Thoughts and Notes
- Apparently people just leave their armies sitting on the tables between games. This gave me mad anxiety at first, but then I just gave up on walking around with a bigass board and army, and it worked out. Cool.

- I’ll probably stay at the hotel next year. While having a free place to stay was cool, it would have been much cooler to be able to hang out after the event and get shitfaced instead of having to drive home.

- Fuuuuuck CP regen relics. All of them. I stopped tracking CP for all of my opponents before game 6 because they ended up having 30+ to spend and it just didn’t make sense to keep loving doing it. That poo poo adds more rolls that slow the game down, creates feel-bad moments when you get hosed over for choosing to use your own strategems, and makes choices around CP a lot less interesting because you know you’ll get a bunch back.

- My army got lots of good feedback, which was cool—everyone loved the Helverins, and people loved that I was playing Black Legion. Robin Cruddace also told me how much he liked them, which was pretty cool. And he did it during game 1, which helped, because later on I’d have cracked him in his stupid dome.

- The new Knights codex is also some bullshit. I don’t think knights by themselves are overpowered, but as an add-in to that stupid AM/BA/Knights list, they’re just so loving unfun to play against. Also gently caress that Castellan ability that lets you fire off mortal wound-dealing missiles targeting characters with no LOS. That bullshit killing off my sorcerers in every game was lame as hell.

- I can't stress enough that all my opponents were cool people and very gracious. Even the ones running the shithead lists.

- I liked my army a lot, but it was nowhere near good enough to place in best painted. There was some ridiculously cool poo poo there. Hell, I thought SRM’s army was painted better than mine and also that his didn’t stand a chance against some of the armies there.

- You may have noticed I scored more points in every round. It definitely took me some time to learn the list and also how to play NoVA missions right. I hoped to win 2 games, took away 3, feel like I could have gotten 4, but definitely think I can improve next year, though my goal is to do the narrative instead. Overall I Placed 197th out of 237 people, according to the final BCPlayer results. So definitely room for improvement there!

- I didn’t take many photos, but here’s one of my large, adult sons in game 1:

Special Thanks
- Massive props to Shadow Daishi/SD47, who brought in my wallet and hung out afterward. Dude is a loving legend and I hope he can get his mans painted to attend next year.
- Also big ups to bonds0097 and neonbregna, who both offered to help me out.
- Also, props to ANAmal.net for his datasheet generator, which I used to create laminated datasheets for my units, which were super-helpful. link: http://ec2-54-242-211-98.compute-1.amazonaws.com/40k.php
- Also, to SRM, who’s just a chill-rear end dude and introduced me to everyone when he probably had tons of other poo poo going on.
- Thanks to MasterSlowPoke for the army advice. Once I got the hang of the list, it could do some real damage.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 3, 2018

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

This one confuses me the most, is it holding a pillow of the tiny dead woman on the ground in front of him? Is the tiny woman on the ground a projection?

I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS IDIOTIC MINI IT'S MAKING ME HURT INSIDE.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

This is outstanding. The pillows close the idea out in exactly the right way.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Two Beans posted:

No, this stuff is abhorrent in every community.

If you don't understand why this army exists and why its funny, then congratulations! You're WHY it exists and your reaction is why it's funny. :tipshat:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
loving pillows printed with fictional underage cartoon girls is really bad, and it is also something a lot of nazi nerds proudly do.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Well, I’m back a day early. Day 3 of the GT was not for me, given that I’ve got a wife and kid and also that I had already notched three losses.
Let’s rewind: I couldn’t get into the Narrative events I wanted to (they filled up before going public!), but I still wanted to do NoVA, and I figured I’d try my hand at the 40k GT. My in-laws live in Annapolis, so that gave me a free place to stay about one hour away.

My Army:
I brought my Black Legion. Taking to heart the notion that I needed a way to deal with Knights, I decided to bring my own knight, and get my two Helverins converted up for use.

The army is roughly two battalions and a superheavy detachment. The Battalions contain 4 chaos marine squads that are 5 dudes with plasma, plus a rhino full of Berserkers, Abaddon as Warlord, three sorcerers, and two squads of cultists, one with 10 dudes, and one with 24 dudes. It’s got 18 CP, plus the Hand of Knight Relic. Everyone is black legion, and everyone but the Berserkers are mark of Slaanesh. Yeah, it’s got knights, but they’re renegades and I’m one of the few lists running actual chaos space marines.

The Helverins got painted up literally last week. Here are some shots of the near-finished models. These two beautiful perfect bois got plenty of praise during the event, especially the forgefiend head one.

Ok, but how’d it do? Here’s a quick rundown of my games:
Day 1: I’m sorry, you have *how* many CP?
Game 1: Dark Eldar + Eldar
Dude was running a trio of ravagers, two Razorwings, three Archons, some Wracks, a trio of Taluses, and some Venoms full of warriors. Plus a Haemonculus and Urien Rakarth and a farseer skyrunner, and two spiritseers.. I got hosed over pretty hard by his helm relic early on, which both denied my powers and also blew my sorcerers up. His taloses wiped out my berserkers and I wasn’t able to stop his jets from clearing out my backfield before I could kill them. Dude also had plenty of CP regen, and after turn 3 I just stopped tracking his usage because he had more than he started with. I got tabled, losing 40-9.

Game 2: Guard + Blood Angels + Knights
Ah, these fuckin’ lists. I played two of them, and they tended to come in two flavors. This was the former, with a battalion of blood angels and a trio of knights. This list also had plenty of CP regen, plus the biggest “feel bad” moment of the tournament for me, when I killed the first of the dude’s three knights only to have him force it to explode on a 4+, CP reroll the result to get the explosion, then recover all 3 CP he spent. The explosion got a 10” radius, and killed my knight, two sorcerers, Abaddon, a squad of marines, and halved two others, basically ending the game for me on T2. I lost 37 – 19.

Game 3: Guard + Blood Angels + Knights
Don’t be fooled by the bullshit names on the lists if you read the results in the BCPlayer app – those “Catachan” lists are really AM/BA/Knight lists. This was flavor #2, which runs a blood angels supreme command and a single Castellan. This list had both the Kurov’s Aquila and the Veris Vitae, so he rolled a D6 for each CP used to recover points on a 5+, and an extra D6 for each of his strategems to recover another CP. This was important because his jam was to keep using CP to get the knight back up, which I discovered could happen multiple times per game (though not if it explodes). I had to stop using CP to keep him from regen-ing back up to 2 so I could finish the loving thing off, which was a pretty “feels bad” moment tbh. I finally kill the thing but get housed on objectives (I was progressive, he was endgame) after Abaddon gets killed in the explosion from a hellhound that dealt six goddamn mortal wounds. I lose, 32 – 22. So uh, better, but still rough.

Day 1 recap: I was pretty exhausted from not getting much sleep the night before, plus I didn’t get to meet up with anyone save SRM in the restroom for a moment, so it was kind of a lovely, lonely day for me. At this point, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to do NoVA again. Also, gently caress those AM/BA/Knight lists. Overall my opponents were all nice, decent people; their lists were just brutally unfun to play against. Also, they were painted like rear end.

Day 2: Crawling Back to Respectability
Day 2 started off rough when I realized I left my wallet at my in-laws’ place. Fortunately, I keep $20 emergency money in my backpack, but parking was $10, so I was gonna have to think lean for lunch.

Game 4: Eldar
Eldar, featuring three fire prisms, a wave serpent full of wraithguard, some aspect warriors, guardians, and a bunch of psykers. This time, things go better, as I push forward with Abaddon confidently, the Berserkers finally make contact (killing a bunch of rangers and swooping hawks), I down the wave serpent and its passengers, plus a pair of the fire prisms and a bunch of aspects. I lose the knight and both helverins in the process, and probably get greedy at the end of the game pushing forward with abaddon when I should have just fallen back and scored points, but the end result is my first win! 24-21. Morale improves! Also, I’m finally figuring out the army and playing better. I think I could have won the prior game if I’d been a bit smarter.

Game 5: Guard
2,000 points of beautifully-painted Cadians, no vehicles. Yeah, read that again. No. Vehicles. Just a fuckton of metal guard, including rough riders, storm troopers, and a fuckload of mortars. This guy was incredibly nice, but it was only his 5th game of eighth edition and every one of his turns took a million goddamn years. They gave us chess clocks at one point, starting with my loving turn for some reason and I lost 12/30 minutes to him shooting overwatch with a single squad when he used the stratagem to huck a frag grenade with everyone. I basically ran out of time right as I finished my 4th turn, but that was good enough to finish killing some key units. I win out by investigating more and holding more objectives, giving me a 25-19 win.
Also at this point, Shadow Daishi (SD47) showed up with my wallet, having driven an hour out of his way to meet up with my wife to grab it. The dude is an absolute loving legend.

Game 6: Guard
Catachan guard, but like, actual catachans, in hats and urban camo. Three squads of vets, some special weapons, two Basilisks, a Manticore, two Leman Russes, two squads of Ogryns with shields and sticks, a preacher, two psykers, and some company commanders. Oh yeah, and a Shadowsword. This game was crazy, with loving terrible rolls on both sides—my opponent only got back like 2 CP all game and only started with 9, which was a tournament first for my opponents. The Shadowsword struggled to do damage all game, ensuring my knight and both armigers lived until turn 4, letting me kill off the Russes pretty easily. Meanwhile, the Berserkers put in some real loving work, wiping out several squads, including the ogryns while Abaddon and his cultists swept up the middle. Then I hosed up pretty bad by charging the shadowsword, which had 5 wounds left. Fun fact: The Shadowsword can shoot Overwatch while it is in combat. Also fun fact: Abaddon cannot survive a Shadowsword cannon to the loving face. Still, I sweep all his troops and hold every objective on a couple of turns, giving me a 29-20 win. 3-0 on day 2 and 3-3 overall! WOOOOOO!

Day 2 recap: A much better day, and not just because of the wins. Games were more competitive and more fun. After game 6, I meet up with the NoVA goon crew and we grab some drinks and shoot the poo poo. They’re all great people, and it’s a good time. Day 2 redeems the experience, and I think I’ll do it again next year.

Thoughts and Notes
- Apparently people just leave their armies sitting on the tables between games. This gave me mad anxiety at first, but then I just gave up on walking around with a bigass board and army, and it worked out. Cool.

- I’ll probably stay at the hotel next year. While having a free place to stay was cool, it would have been much cooler to be able to hang out after the event and get shitfaced instead of having to drive home.

- Fuuuuuck CP regen relics. All of them. I stopped tracking CP for all of my opponents before game 6 because they ended up having 30+ to spend and it just didn’t make sense to keep loving doing it. That poo poo adds more rolls that slow the game down, creates feel-bad moments when you get hosed over for choosing to use your own strategems, and makes choices around CP a lot less interesting because you know you’ll get a bunch back.

- My army got lots of good feedback, which was cool—everyone loved the Helverins, and people loved that I was playing Black Legion. Robin Cruddace also told me how much he liked them, which was pretty cool. And he did it during game 1, which helped, because later on I’d have cracked him in his stupid dome.

- The new Knights codex is also some bullshit. I don’t think knights by themselves are overpowered, but as an add-in to that stupid AM/BA/Knights list, they’re just so loving unfun to play against. Also gently caress that Castellan ability that lets you fire off mortal wound-dealing missiles targeting characters with no LOS. That bullshit killing off my sorcerers in every game was lame as hell.

- I can't stress enough that all my opponents were cool people and very gracious. Even the ones running the shithead lists.

- I liked my army a lot, but it was nowhere near good enough to place in best painted. There was some ridiculously cool poo poo there. Hell, I thought SRM’s army was painted better than mine and also that his didn’t stand a chance against some of the armies there.

- You may have noticed I scored more points in every round. It definitely took me some time to learn the list and also how to play NoVA missions right. I hoped to win 2 games, took away 3, feel like I could have gotten 4, but definitely think I can improve next year, though my goal is to do the narrative instead. Overall I Placed 197th out of 237 people, according to the final BCPlayer results. So definitely room for improvement there!

- I didn’t take many photos, but here’s one of my large, adult sons in game 1:

Special Thanks
- Massive props to Shadow Daishi/SD47, who brought in my wallet and hung out afterward. Dude is a loving legend and I hope he can get his mans painted to attend next year.
- Also big ups to bonds0097 and neonbregna, who both offered to help me out.
- Also, props to ANAmal.net for his datasheet generator, which I used to create laminated datasheets for my units, which were super-helpful. link: http://ec2-54-242-211-98.compute-1.amazonaws.com/40k.php
- Also, to SRM, who’s just a chill-rear end dude and introduced me to everyone when he probably had tons of other poo poo going on.
- Thanks to MasterSlowPoke for the army advice. Once I got the hang of the list, it could do some real damage.

Knights really are some bullshit right now. Glad to hear you ended up having a good time and ended up posting this report so I can live vicariously through you.

I’m also really hoping to see some details about SRM’s experience since apparently his Valiant went on a weekend long harpoon rampage.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Two Beans posted:

loving pillows printed with fictional underage cartoon girls is really bad, and it is also something a lot of nazi nerds proudly do.

I don't agree with that dude who's going "lol, triggered?" but jumping from a body pillow joke to Nazis is dumb as gently caress

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Great write up. Thanks for doing it.

Sad to hear that the braying up CP regeneration and Knights+Soup is born out by your experience.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don't agree with that dude who's going "lol, triggered?" but jumping from a body pillow joke to Nazis is dumb as gently caress

Anime Nazis are a thing. 4chan is rife with them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Two Beans posted:

Ok? You're still making a lot of assumptions here.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Maneck posted:

Great write up. Thanks for doing it.

Sad to hear that the braying up CP regeneration and Knights+Soup is born out by your experience.

If I'd known more about how to play against them I think I'd have done better or had a better time, but I was also kind of glad I got matched down to play any other type of list after day 1.

But that said, it's a real fuckin problem. All 3 of the top 3 lists were Catachan/Blood Angels/Knights and 5 of the top 10 and 10 of the top 20. The rest were mostly Eldar, plus a couple of Chaos lists and some Custodes.

e: It's a real fuckin problem, but it's definitely not *just* the knights--the CP farms/regen are a big deal as well, and pure knights and guard lists weren't anywhere near as strong. I wouldn't want to see any changes that gently caress over the pure forms of the armies just to make them drop out of soup lists

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 3, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

CP Regen - he had more than he started with.

This is some bullshit, and should absolutely not be allowed.

Glad you ended up having a good time after a rough start.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is some bullshit, and should absolutely not be allowed.

Glad you ended up having a good time after a rough start.

Oh, necessarily. Like I said, all my opponents were cool as hell. Day 1 had some rough times, but it was mostly bad because I'd had no sleep, didn't meet up with anyone, and was exhausted by the end, leading to a mostly rough, lonely experience*. And doing cons/tournaments by yourself suuuuucks

*Two things caused this:
1. The game schedules for the GT and the Narrative were staggered, so by the time I finished round 1 of the GT, everyone in the narrative had already gotten lunch, and

2. There wasn't any wifi and there was no cell reception in the GT tournament area so I couldn't stay in touch with anyone until I finished a game, at which point it was too late to coordinate poo poo

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Solid Helverin conversions. :iia:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Those showed up in the Uninspiration thread awhile ago. Fascinating that you saw em out in the wild. I went back and dug up the link, so we can suffer TOGETHER.

https://imgur.com/a/p8FHS58

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Main take aways was what everyone more or less was hemming and hawing about. Cp regen sucks. Knight codex as add-on to guard + ba is unfun.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I felt I'd post up a little report on NOVA, got home a couple of hours ago- benefits of living here I guess. I'm really sorry but to be honest my experience wasn't the best- I didn't intend for this to become a bitchfest but it just sorta ended up that way.. overall I think my experience was about 50/50.

- A/C (lack thereof) and elevator hell. It wasn't enough that the elevators weren't ventilated and became a greenhouse in the afternoon sun, but also during the busiest times they would completely just stop working. Not that they wouldn't move, but they'd pass your floor in the direction you wanted to go. Imagine you were on the 12th floor going to the 1st. You'd hit the down button, and an elevator heading down from, say, the 18th floor you'd expect to stop and open to let you in. Nope. It would pass your floor almost every time. People would need to go 'around the horn' and grab an elevator going in the opposite direction and ride it all the way to the top/bottom and back to get to the right floor.

- Timing and rushing of games. It seemed the narrative games were on a very tight schedule. I understand that the tables are on a schedule, however the whole purpose of the narrative was to have a relaxed and more fun experience. I often found my opponents hounding and rushing me. I don't play games often, and due to some past issues I have very, very bad short term memory. Those at NOVA saw that I had made 'flash cards.' I spent a lot of time making those to try and help by being able to quickly reference things when needed. But back on the rushing... in several games I was trying to count out dice results, and would have them leaning over and trying to count for me.... I think the way to explain it is that imagine you're trying to count to 100 and someone is right next to you doing the same thing, but is counting at a faster rate and saying it aloud. What happens is that my ADD really kicks in and before I know it I've lost count or even would forget what I was doing.

I made several attempts to politely ask people not to do that, I'd explain why before the game and yet in two occasions they continually did it even after I would repeat that it doesn't help.. at one point on a game I raised my voice because after the 3rd time of asking they continued to do it. People thought I was getting angry and I spent the rest of the time feeling like that was the impression people had of me.

- Clarity of rules and communication. The narrative should be informal, and some of us don't know every rule. In addition the primer was often filled with inconsistencies, also from the NOVA schedule itself. For example, the first night fight was 2k and not 1850 points. Then there's other oddities- For some reason I ended playing a 1k doubles game for some reason... why? There were extra tables. I was never given an answer on that... not that I minded, however it kinda threw me off because when I played a 1k a day later I was on a 4x4... this would be the only game on a 4x4 and so it threw me off a bit. Here's a good question: Can a psyker cast smite on the same character twice in a turn? I've heard both yes and no. So the first time I said "whoa.. is that allowed?" and the other 3 around me said yes. The next match I played I decided to use that tactic in another doubles match and was told by those 3 that I cannot. I looked it up and there's no rule saying you can or cannot that I know of.

Also, during today's Apoc... on one occasion I had three 1k Sons Sorcerers smiting a unit of bikers, 2 BA dreads trying to shoot a unit of biker vets, Something else shooting my hellblasters, and a Manta shooting 2 different squads of Inceptors... all of this at the same time.. and half of them began to get pissed that I wasn't answering them right away. I had to say, "I can't do it all at once, hang on" several times.

This happened again a little while later... all I have left is Kor'sarro, a captain, and my Stormseer. I'm working with the BA player on a side table doing an assault between one of his dreads and my captain since there wasn't any room, and I hear my name called that someone wants to shoot my Stormseer. I yell back to hang on I'm rolling a combat. 5 seconds later I get another person, who's shooting at Kor'sarro, and I say again, hang on... and now I have two at the main table and all I hear is "we can't wait all day on one person." Jesus gently caress assholes, there are 15 other armies on the table, either shoot something else in the meantime or wait one loving minute. That moment really soured what had been a fun game at the time.

Warlords. This really sucked for me. This year the warlords were divided into pairs, who would then 'enlist' players and match them up. At least with the partner I had, he decided to pretty much run away with this responsibility to the point I was just "there." So what was the point for me being on this? What happened to this being a group that did things as a group in the name of fun. I looked around at the other pairs and it seemed like this was the case- one out of the pair was doing all the matchmaking and the other shut out of it.... SRM and TSC, I don't think you may have had that because you two know each other fairly well. In addition to that I often felt like I was outside of an inside joke, even with other goons. Many of you all I guess have gone back several years- I can't explain it more than a feeling of being like a 5th wheel I guess?

Ok there are a few good things though... For the most part, the games were fun. The two brothers who play chaos (World Eaters and Thousand Sons) thanks for being outgoing, patient to me, and just overall fun to be around. Beer, thanks for also being the same trying not to make a reference to your height. Many were really helpful and I learned a whole lot in a very short time. Cam, thanks also for being chill and helping when I'd have an obvious rule question and being patient when I'd say House Ikea even though it probably stopped being funny long ago.

+++++

There's a lot of lessons learned I think. I'm going to play more games this year and try what I can to not have to refer to stats much. I'm going to try and find more efficient ways to track CP, powers, and also to speed up army set-up. At the same time, however I don't think I'll be doing warlords anymore as I didn't see a benefit to being there. I definitely will be staying at one of the hotels across the street because holy crap did the Hyatt have issues.

edit: CP regen and harvesting was loving poo poo. I felt like it ruined the point of them to begin with... crucial, weighed decisions that can have an impact but do not drive the game. When it's to the point that CPs are used as a typical method in assault, or just as part of the overall tactic because there's a good chance that you'll end up regaining those CP what's the drat point?

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 3, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Two Beans posted:

Two Beans posted:

So to summarize your point, some assholes on 4chan are bad people and like anime. Therefore ALL people who like anime MUST be Nazis?

Then what about this poo poo...

By the same logic, since some rear end in a top hat plays 40k and is a Nazi, ALL 40k players must be Nazis, right? Clearly this whole subforum is just a cleverly hidden Nazi recruitment effort. :rolleyes:

Look do you know what that logic is? It's letting the Nazis win. Its giving them power over you by letting them decide what you're not allowed to like. Welp, some Nazis like anime, can't like that. Oh poo poo, they like 40k? Can't play that anymore. Oh hell, they like Infinity War? drat, guess I can't watch MCU movies.

"First they came for the anime fans...."

We should also try and maintain some perspective, here. Some guy put pictures of cartoons on his plastic toy soldiers. That's it. It's at best kinda funny, at worst in kinda poor taste. That's it, though. It's not a threat to democracy or some great evil being perpetrated on mankind.

It's cartoon pictures on toys. Don't let it bother you. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is going on in here

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Anime inevitably leads to bad posting and should not be mentioned here in any context but complaining about Tau.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

Anime creeps trying to be accepted.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

NoVA. Someone spotted anime marines and things went south after that. Also Knight/Guard/B.Angel armies were everywhere and people are salty about it. That's about it right now, though.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

People defending cartoon pedo pillowfuckers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rocking the badshirt in Korea today.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Dudes, the problem is not anime (though a lot of us dislike it)--the problem is half-naked girls of questionable age plastered over poorly-painted mans. Especially the poorly-painted mans.

Edit:

Von Humboldt posted:

Those showed up in the Uninspiration thread awhile ago. Fascinating that you saw em out in the wild. I went back and dug up the link, so we can suffer TOGETHER.

https://imgur.com/a/p8FHS58

JFC, some of those dumb anime girls look eleven loving years old. If ever it were a joke, he became what he hated, and now I guarantee you this guy has a hard drive in a hole in the wall and posts age of consent rants on AnCap forums.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 3, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Dudes, the problem is not anime (though a lot of us dislike it)--the problem is half-naked girls of questionable age plastered over poorly-painted mans. Especially the poorly-painted mans.

The sexualized girls of questionable age is really the problem with anime in general tbh. That army is just extra creepy.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Okay, I thought it was a well executed joke from the Nova photos. The imgur link dispels that notion. Yuck.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Maneck posted:

Okay, I thought it was a well executed joke from the Nova photos. The imgur link dispels that notion. Yuck.

:same:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

jng2058 posted:

So to summarize your point, some assholes on 4chan are bad people and like anime. Therefore ALL people who like anime MUST be Nazis?

Then what about this poo poo...

By the same logic, since some rear end in a top hat plays 40k and is a Nazi, ALL 40k players must be Nazis, right? Clearly this whole subforum is just a cleverly hidden Nazi recruitment effort. :rolleyes:

Look do you know what that logic is? It's letting the Nazis win. Its giving them power over you by letting them decide what you're not allowed to like. Welp, some Nazis like anime, can't like that. Oh poo poo, they like 40k? Can't play that anymore. Oh hell, they like Infinity War? drat, guess I can't watch MCU movies.

"First they came for the anime fans...."

We should also try and maintain some perspective, here. Some guy put pictures of cartoons on his plastic toy soldiers. That's it. It's at best kinda funny, at worst in kinda poor taste. That's it, though. It's not a threat to democracy or some great evil being perpetrated on mankind.

It's cartoon pictures on toys. Don't let it bother you. :colbert:

:words:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
First they came for the waifu pillows and I did not speak out because I was not a waifu pillow.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

idgi

There were some pretty well painted Tau armies at Nova, why did you take photos of this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I spaced out for a few months with some personal stuff. Looks like Orks got a codex, did the Genestealer codex come out and I missed it? Still see their rules listed under Xenos index 2 but I thought they were next.