Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEAJmsHZqo

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

kjetting posted:

This is pretty accurate.

My favorite Metallica product will still forever be the “Some Kind Of Monster” movie. It really showed the dangers of having too much money, and makes you feel sorry for Kirk who seems tired of the enormous egos and drama and just wants to play in a band and noodle on his guitar.

I consider it to be my generation’s Spinal Tap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Metallica can do whatever dumb poo poo they want because they wrote Ride the Lightning and no band has come close to those riffs and that energy ever.

I think Mustaine wrote most of the riffs for Ride the Lightning.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wasn't that Kill 'em All?

"Dyers' Eve" is Metallica's sole truly great post-Cliff song.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Too many to quote! Metallica is definitely the band I've spent the most time listening to and reading about than any other artist.

Yeah, the booze got me too for a few reasons. My favorite, the "we're not making mediocre whiskey here" immediately followed by "it's a blend." :lol:

And like, they all went to rehab for booze pretty much right? Another :lol:

As far as the remasters, Cliff is still slightly more subtle in the mix than Kirk's leads. It's not a "better" sound, but different enough to be interesting. It's all that's on Spotify now and I'm lazy.

I really tried with Death Magnetic and Hardwired. The other day I blasted Hardwired loudly on decent studio speakers. It just...sucks...balls.

Like something about it being "better" than St. Anger makes it worse. At least that was a watershed moment, a true testament to how much something can really suck.

Production on Hardwired is garbage. But that's par for the course. It's the riffs and drumming. So lazy sounding. Yeah, y'all did a lot of palm mute chugging back in the day. But you did some riffs with it too! Great riffs! Now it's just palm-muting with even less of the Load/Reload 5-7 or 7-9 hammer ons than normal.

Does anyone itt play drums? The drums on Hardwired kill me. Bar none, the laziest most uninspired drumming ever recorded. It's new Metallica, I'm not expecting prog metal polyrhythms. There's nothing wrong with just "keeping the beat." But, someone like Phil Rudd does simple drumming without being lazy and is still creative. And fun and exciting sounding! This poo poo is just a lazy snooze-fest. So bland and dull. Unlistenable. Got all the foundation of a drunken bird's nest.

Also some of the songs have extremely lovely choruses that don't seem to fit with their songs at all.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 1, 2018

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Honestly no one knows where Metallica truly picked up without any Mustaine influence.

Here's evidence of them sounding brutal (in a good way) live. Younger, faster, cocaine.

Don't worry about the sound. They fixed the sound suddenly during the first or second song. You'll hear it! Gets super bassy and mean sounding. Rules.

https://youtu.be/-Olhlc19ZeQ
(Metallica live 1985)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fzA455 posted:

Too many to quote! Metallica is definitely the band I've spent the most time listening to and reading about than any other artist.

Yeah, the booze got me too for a few reasons. My favorite, the "we're not making mediocre whiskey here" immediately followed by "it's a blend." :lol:

And like, they all went to rehab for booze pretty much right? Another :lol:

As far as the remasters, Cliff is still slightly more subtle in the mix than Kirk's leads. It's not a "better" sound, but different enough to be interesting. It's all that's on Spotify now and I'm lazy.

I really tried with Death Magnetic and Hardwired. The other day I blasted Hardwired loudly on decent studio speakers. It just...sucks...balls.

Like something about it being "better" than St. Anger makes it worse. At least that was a watershed moment, a true testament to how much something can really suck.

Production on Hardwired is garbage. But that's par for the course. It's the riffs and drumming. So lazy sounding. Yeah, y'all did a lot of palm mute chugging back in the day. But you did some riffs with it too! Great riffs! Now it's just palm-muting with even less of the Load/Reload 5-7 or 7-9 hammer ons than normal.

Does anyone itt play drums? The drums on Hardwired kill me. Bar none, the laziest most uninspired drumming ever recorded. It's new Metallica, I'm not expecting prog metal polyrhythms. There's nothing wrong with just "keeping the beat." But, someone like Phil Rudd does simple drumming without being lazy and is still creative. And fun and exciting sounding! This poo poo is just a lazy snooze-fest. So bland and dull. Unlistenable. Got all the foundation of a drunken bird's nest.

Also some of the songs have extremely lovely choruses that don't seem to fit with their songs at all.

With the ubuiquity of drum programs like superior drummer a lot of bands will separately write songs and then come together to piece them into a record. Guitar players will often just use the preset drum patterns because theyre either lazy or don't really know how to write drum parts.

Hardwired feels like Lars heard the templates and thought "oh hell yeah this sounds great! I'm not changing anything"

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hrm yeah. I know bands do that but that actually makes total sense. It even sounds pretty much like a drum-machine/looped performance.

Which often his stuff is/was. Like, just has to get a part right "once," and then assemble the "good" parts of like 1,000 takes.

Whatever they pay a producer to record Lars is not enough.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There's even that grim sounding 'Justice Kit' preset he could use! Shame there isn't a black album kit. Or a St Anger one :can:

On that (one, palm-muted) note, one thing I've noticed on St Anger that really jumps out is how low the double kick patterns are following the first beat. Its all BOOMbububu, as if they only used the room mic or something for the sixteenth notes, and I can't decide if thats on purpose or not.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think it's more that Lars sucks

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah it's probably more that he can poise himself to hit any "first kick" physically hard, but his sustained double-kick strength/speed/skill just isn't as developed or strong, so the recordings reflect that.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spanish Manlove posted:

With the ubuiquity of drum programs like superior drummer a lot of bands will separately write songs and then come together to piece them into a record. Guitar players will often just use the preset drum patterns because theyre either lazy or don't really know how to write drum parts.

Hardwired feels like Lars heard the templates and thought "oh hell yeah this sounds great! I'm not changing anything"

IIRC, this is exactly what they did with the first non-Portnoy Dream Theater album, which is just insane to me. You're great guitarists/bassists/whatever, but why not let the guy who's been playing drums professionally for 20+ years have a crack at it first?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
it sounds like either they layered another kick on top or recorded two tracks to me, theres just a middy 16th thing that I guess is a kick in a bunch of the songs, it's most noticeable in the title track.

This is not in any way to dispute that Lars sucks and needs to sit down, it was just another layer of weird/dumb choices on a weird/dumb album.

On the other hand, Ride the Lightning flows really well, was listening to it whilst restringing a floating trem and the 'narrative' isn't overpowering.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah it's probably more that he can poise himself to hit any "first kick" physically hard, but his sustained double-kick strength/speed/skill just isn't as developed or strong, so the recordings reflect that.

pretty sure they solved that one by finally replacing all his drum hits with samples on the last album

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't that Kill 'em All?

"Dyers' Eve" is Metallica's sole truly great post-Cliff song.

The album I believe so, but I was talking about the song which is what I assumed what was being talked about. If it's the whole album, then no.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nah I meant the entire album. It is perfect.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

I really liked that video and seeing the interplay between Nile Rodgers and Steve Vai and the way they communicate. Vai is incredible talented and versatile on his instrument, but it's obvious that a producer holding the reins is the difference between an interesting composition and a ridiculous wanking session.
I did bark out an unexpected laugh when Nile was talking concept to Steve and Steve said, "Produce me! Eight-to-the-bar!" Steve has been his own counsel and producer for a long time, for better or worse depending on whom you ask, so I wondered if it was sarcastic or just good-natured kidding.

That's a little piece of lyric from DLR's "It's Showtime!," a tune off A Little Ain't Enough, where David needed at least two song ideas to finish the album and Jason Becker obliged with two basically finished songs: "It's Showtime!" and "Drop In The Bucket," the only two tunes Jason got a songwriting credit on. He provided the rhythm and David and company finished the rest.

The lyrics are Dave's wry and cynical take on music-biz lingo which reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar" in its mocking tone. They're kinda "period" like the PF lyrics were but they still ring.

I think my favorite bits of "It's Showtime!" are the lick Jason played on the demo of "Hot For Teacher" that he throws in there twice because it just fits so well with that song's up-beat "Hot For Teacher" vibe, and the obvious tribute to Paul Gilbert that he throws into the solo. I won't reference it directly but if you've seen Paul's first instructional video you know it's straight out of that playbook and Becker even said something in an interview about that bit of the solo, "you really shouldn't try to play that lick unless your initials are 'P.G.'"

quote:

"It's Showtime!"

Lights, camera, action
There's a star upon your door
Have your machine call my machine
We'll do lunch on the cutting room floor

We're over budget
98 percent not there
And when the back door hits you
Where the good Lord split you
Tell us honey, who does your hair?

How does he do it? Why's he do it?
Oh yeah, yes, it's true
And the flavor of the month is you
Practice, practice, practice
Just to get to Carnegie
We'll need 10 percent and that's off the top
Gross, not net to me

Get it on
Honey, 'cause it's showtime!
Just play the song, oh
Baby, 'cause it's showtime!
Oh, oh, oh

Produce me daddy
Takin' 8 to the bar
Big, bigger, biggest
With the right lighting you'll go far

Here today, gone late today
And it's club dates in the sticks
And you're beautiful babe, don't never shave
No prob, we'll fix it in the mix

Just leave your name and number
In the dumpster when you're through
Oh yeah
Don't call us, we'll call you

Oscar, Grammy, triple whammy
Cut, and that's the take
I said quit complainin', where's my agent?
Don't you know how much I make?

Get it on, oh yeah
Baby, 'cause it's showtime! Wooh
Just play the song, oh, oh, oh, oh
Baby 'cause it's showtime!

Okay, okay, this is it
Here it is
Wooh
Oh yeah
Ooh wee
Once to the close and go

Leave your name and number
In the dumpster when you're through
Woah yeah
Don't call us, we'll call you

And it's play it like they paid ya
And your photo goes on the car wash wall
But somehow ain't it worth it
When you hear that curtain call

It's Showtime!

Oh, baby 'cause it's showtime! Oh yeah
Just play the song
Baby, 'cause it's showtime! Ooh yeah
Let's get it on
'Cause it's showtime! Ooh yeah
Just play the song
People, 'cause it's showtime!

When Vai said that in the video I had to wonder if that was something he heard around David, or David heard from him; or was he just referencing DLR's first album after he left to join Whitesnake? It was a surprise and I wish I knew the backstory there.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

NonzeroCircle posted:

There's even that grim sounding 'Justice Kit' preset he could use! Shame there isn't a black album kit. Or a St Anger one :can:

They've been selling a St Anger kit forever:
https://www.foldingchairs4less.com/BD-F002.html?dwvar_BD-F002_configColor=Red&cgid=metal-folding-chairs
(Get it in red to show just how anger you are)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.jambase.com/article/metallica-talks-phish-bakers-dozen-residency-tuning-room-tour-finale

stupid music poo poo crossover fanfiction

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

took a while to parse that headline

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol Hetfield mocking Scorpions.

edit: haha man I thought making fun of Lars was just because it was easy and fun but watching that "Tuning Session" he is actually terrible. loving incredible. Might as well just use a Korg Volva Sample on a broomstick with a Michael Myers mask on.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 3, 2018

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
He honestly plays like he's afraid of hitting the kit.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the best part of that video is nobody laughing at kirk talking poo poo about rancid

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So here's some personal Stupid Music poo poo:

https://soundcloud.com/nik-fortuin-153625460/dont-give-up-the-fight

1) The guitar is a $60 first act I only bought because of the previous iteration of this thread
2) The frets are completely hosed so there isn't any point in re-stringing it
3) I realized after the fact that I've taken bits of "The Silence Must Be Heard" by Enigma, "Stairway to Heaven" , and the guitar solo from "Nautical Disaster" and re-worked them

but actually what is stupid is I'm still trying to find a vocal style I like, and the bridge of the song is some low growly thing I did. My throat now feels like I've been gargling chainsaws and I don't even like the final effect

anyways, do people still put tracks up for commentary? or is there a thread for that now.?

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 3, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

oh my god this complete dipshit went nuclear in the wampler group today, this is one of about 10 other insane huge comments

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1j06bMHDQ

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-o3udImy8

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://youtu.be/cvmm0f92L-k

I mean this is the same kind of dipshit that says electronic music isn't real. Just roll your eyes and walk away, there's no point in arguing.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I was just trying to applaud him for his bold stance on an arbitrary classification.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Music isn’t music unless it’s played on an instrument that takes years of practice and dedication so I don’t feel like a sucker for spending all that time and money on something when I could’ve just gone out and bought a computer.

- every idiot blues dad

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GreatGreen posted:

Music isn’t music unless it’s played on an instrument that takes years of practice and dedication so I don’t feel like a sucker for spending all that time and money on something when I could’ve just gone out and bought a computer.

- every idiot blues dad

Hey man, it takes a lifetime to know when to play that mythical sixth note to turn a mere pentatonic minor scale into TRUE BLUES.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
So does that dude also think that drummers aren't musicians?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's almost verbatim what i expect from something called the wampler pedals facebook group

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Them racial undertoanz tho.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t even like 90% of hiphop and electronic etc non live band guitar music but gently caress that moron what a dingleberry

I like the group sometimes but ugh I’m close to leaving

I love this sub forum a loving ton though. Even when I disagree with y’all. Thanks for being cool and good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t even like 90% of hiphop and electronic etc non live band guitar music but gently caress that moron what a dingleberry

I like the group sometimes but ugh I’m close to leaving

I love this sub forum a loving ton though. Even when I disagree with y’all. Thanks for being cool and good.

From what I understand Wampler is convinced that his core demographic is angry white males and that taking any steps toward making his online spaces not vile cesspools means hurting his pocketbook and "restricting" "free speech" and "alternative voices."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They’re not that bad honestly. The moderation team is full of cool dudes. It’s just not exact my demographic. I’m in between every internet community but that’s alright. It’s comfy floating around. I just wish the minds would open up a little more but then again I just mentioned the joy of comfort. I get it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

So does that dude also think that drummers aren't musicians?

There is an old joke: "What do you call somebody who hangs out with a bunch of musicians? A drummer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
how can you tell a drummer's knocking at your door?

the knocking speeds up