Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Bugblatter posted:

Dunno specifically with cbd, but weed is the main thing the drug tests are looking for, so likely? Are you coming in on something other than a tourist visa?

If I'm coming as a tourist (no visa) do I need to be concerned about being randomly drug tested? I read a horror story on the internet about someone being put in Korean jail because they had smoked weed in their home country before travelling to S Korea and were tested randomly for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess it's not impossible but it's very unlikely you'll have any interaction with the police as a tourist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bugblatter posted:

Dunno specifically with cbd, but weed is the main thing the drug tests are looking for, so likely? Are you coming in on something other than a tourist visa?

Otherwise, worst case with alcohol is you’ll have to pay the fee if they catch it. Might have to surrender the other stuff, dunno.

Pretty sure it's a tourist visa, but it's part of a residency program. I checked out how drug tests work, CBD metabolites aren't checked but occasionally can cause false positives. I'm skipping the stuff either way.

Mekchu posted:

For the liquor, worst case just get something in duty free before you fly out as a backup.

I brought in 2L of duty free liquor, declared it, and the Korean agent at ICN didn't even do anything this month. Just threw it in the pile and that was that.

This is a specific make and type of alcohol that I've only ever found in one region of my home state, definitely not something I'd be able to find in an airport, sadly. :(

Thanks y'all!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I brought three bottles of liquor through Korean customs a couple weeks ago and they didn't even check. Depends who is working that day. Worst case scenario you have to pay duty on everything over the limit.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I brought three bottles of liquor through Korean customs a couple weeks ago and they didn't even check. Depends who is working that day. Worst case scenario you have to pay duty on everything over the limit.

Back in 2012 I brought a 3L bottle of soju in my checked luggage to the US. No one cared. But this was back in the obambo #5 era. Maybe things are different now

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh I was just planning on bringing one average wine-sized bottle, I'm also checking with my hosts about what kind of restrictions are in place for seeds.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This is a specific make and type of alcohol that I've only ever found in one region of my home state, definitely not something I'd be able to find in an airport, sadly. :(

Thanks y'all!

Wrap it up tightly and securely in your checked baggage, but declare it on your customs form when you land. You shouldn't have an issue.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Back in Korea for a bit and it’s hot as balls and muggy. Man, I miss a lot of things but the weather is certainly not one.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I've never been stopped leaving luggage claim/customs. Just line up and hand the little form to them that they barely glance at then I'm out the door.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I don't think I have ever had my bags checked or anything either. One time years ago I marked that I was bringing a bottle of booze back; I handed in the customs form and as I passed the worker suddenly called me back to ask what kind of alcohol which lead to the really weird exchange of ".. Whiskey?" "No -- arak" "Wine?" "No -- arak" "... Whiskey?" "No. It's called arak" "Whiskey?" "No not whiskey" and finally he just waved me along.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only time I've been stopped and checked at customs was when I was bringing :frogsiren:books:frogsiren: into China.

Just fill the form out truthfully. Not your problem at that point.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only time I've ever been stopped at customs was in Saudi Arabia when they confiscated my VHS copy of Babe Pug in the City and our slides of the Sistine Chapel painting.

It is haram to have a pig on your VHS, but not to have the VHS itself we learned.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mekchu posted:

Saudi Arabia when they confiscated my VHS copy of Babe Pug in the City

This is amazing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the late 90s my brother had to explain the Monty Python song "Never be rude to an arab" to a customs agent in Saudi as it was on the inline paper of the CDs jewel case. The guy ended up taking the paper and throwing it in the trash but not confiscating the CD.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
just by the by you'd have to be taking an absolute shitload of poorly made CBD to pull a positive on a test for weed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Only time I’ve been stopped by customs was going into Barcelona. I lined up for nothing to declare, the agent asked where I was coming from. I told him South Korea, he didn’t understand, so I repeated in Spanish. Still didn’t understand, so I started explaining it was the country next to Japan, close to China. That somehow wound up with him thinking I was saying Croatia? I said no, no, Corea del Sur. He was still baffled and wound up making me wait in the line to have all my bags searched.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

nervana posted:

So who's watching Crazy Rich Asians?

its very bad, op

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Anyone have any experience uploading videos to Korean video sites? I want to start making EFL videos, but I hate Youtube. I just signed up for GOM TV cuz I used to use that program to watch fansubs but can't find anything on the site itself about uploading. I see they've got live broadcast software, I assume there's an "upload to site" function built into one of their editor suites?

edit- i was thinking about trying Pandora TV but all those videos on the front page have only double or triple digit views, I was hoping for a slightly more popular site. Any experiences with AfreecaTV?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Afreeca is by far the most popular korean streaming site. I’m pretty confident in saying none of the goons are Afreeca BJs though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bugblatter posted:

Afreeca is by far the most popular korean streaming site. I’m pretty confident in saying none of the goons are Afreeca BJs though.

Thanks so much for the tip, they also seem to be the best for having English natively supported on the site. If I run into any major hurdles I'll let y'all know.

edit- so, are these only for live broadcasts? I can't sort out how to post a video I've already recorded.

edit2- yup looks like, here's the ENG user guide if anyone's curious: http://static-cf.afreecatv.com/asset/files/Guide_en_US.pdf

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 23, 2018

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its very bad, op

Isn’t it just a romcom but everyone is Chinese?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Pretty sure koreans just use youtube for prerecorded stuff? No shortage of korean youtubers at any rate.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Four days before I'm due to leave for the country and the program asks me for a criminal background check as well as my medical records. I manage to talk them down to a copy of my last physical, which surprise surprise, my doctor no longer has. They DO have a copy from the time I went in for a checkup due to a condition I only referred to as "Brain-Killing Boner Headaches."

So that'll be a fun conversation to have with a total stranger.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

AmbientParadox posted:

Isn’t it just a romcom but everyone is Chinese?

boring as gently caress
121 minutes of no hold barred wealth worship
the mom is such a racist caricature that they might have well just spliced in the south park city wok guy
etc

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If I wanted to see a bunch of rich Asians acting like assholes I would've moved to China.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

If I wanted to see a bunch of rich Asians acting like assholes I would've moved to China Vancouver.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Been going back to my old gym and I forgot how loving rage inducing EVERYTHING at Korean gyms is. I wish I could find some sort of hole in the wall strongman gym. Got told I couldn’t do deadlifts and all the bench press stations are taking by old people doing leg raises. No EZ-bar, no belt for weighted dips/pull-ups, no weights smaller than 2.5kg for actual progression capability on lifts like overhead press, barely any barbells and an endless row of treadmills. Thank goodness I’m only here for a month.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Been going back to my old gym and I forgot how loving rage inducing EVERYTHING at Korean gyms is. I wish I could find some sort of hole in the wall strongman gym. Got told I couldn’t do deadlifts and all the bench press stations are taking by old people doing leg raises. No EZ-bar, no belt for weighted dips/pull-ups, no weights smaller than 2.5kg for actual progression capability on lifts like overhead press, barely any barbells and an endless row of treadmills. Thank goodness I’m only here for a month.

Spoany is fine if you have a location near you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You say, as if there's a difference.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
i just wanna shout out to guri for all his cheju/tamra knowledge

excuse me i mean dahm-la

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

ftfy

how much does he know about pusan and sǒul?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, what kind of reach does MBC news have in the country? It's one of the smaller regional broadcasters, yeah?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Anyone have any experience uploading videos to Korean video sites? I want to start making EFL videos, but I hate Youtube. I just signed up for GOM TV cuz I used to use that program to watch fansubs but can't find anything on the site itself about uploading. I see they've got live broadcast software, I assume there's an "upload to site" function built into one of their editor suites?

edit- i was thinking about trying Pandora TV but all those videos on the front page have only double or triple digit views, I was hoping for a slightly more popular site. Any experiences with AfreecaTV?
People watch Youtube way more than any other video/stream websites. Youtube is your best bet tbh.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, what kind of reach does MBC news have in the country? It's one of the smaller regional broadcasters, yeah?
National. There are 3 major broadcasting companies (SBS/KBS/MBC, plus EBS for education) who all have regional branches as well.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Is this eat your kimchi 2.0? Stay tuned to find out!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Eat Your Kimchi 2.0: Drink Your Makgeolli

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
eat your kimchi: korea is hard let’s go to japan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

district 12 posted:

eat your kimchi: korea is hard let’s go to japan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Them burning Korea and leaving for Japan was the only funny thing they ever did.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

japan is for loving pussies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did those two annoying Canadians really take their Korean themed YouTube vlogs to Japan in a fit? If so, that's hilarious.