Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

20 years ago was 1998, and most people know it was around then at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Osmosisch posted:

Yeah, I applaud the intent if not the implementation of the change.

It reminds me of Crock's licensing to IBM for evil usage. He seems to be cropping up a bunch recently, must be a zeitgeist thing.

yeah, but like, it's the most woo thing imaginable. like, when ibm wanted to use jslint, this happened:

quote:

About once a year, I get a letter from a lawyer, every year a different lawyer, at a company – I don’t want to embarrass the company by saying their name, so I’ll just say their initials – IBM…

[laughter]

…saying that they want to use something I wrote. Because I put this on everything I write, now. They want to use something that I wrote in something that they wrote, and they were pretty sure they weren’t going to use it for evil, but they couldn’t say for sure about their customers. So could I give them a special license for that?

Of course. So I wrote back – this happened literally two weeks ago – “I give permission for IBM, its customers, partners, and minions, to use JSLint for evil.”

[laughter and applause]

And the attorney wrote back and said: “Thanks very much, Douglas!”

it's ok to be against ice and its policies. writing down a bunch of words in a software license for a random javascript project to combat it is magical thinking and does nothing but waste people's time (the typescript team, which works at microsoft, could not touch lerna because of this https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/issues/25376) - plus it's open source, not "open except for a bunch of people i don't like" source.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for restating my post I guess.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Real activism is hard, so why bother when you can get your endorphins by slacktivism instead?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

bigmandan posted:

Code licensing horrors belong here too right?... https://github.com/lerna/lerna/pull/1616

Kind of funny to refuse Microsoft from licensing on a service owned by Microsoft.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Boycotts in software licensing is basically a form of economic boycotting.

Of course boycotts are a form of activism through doing nothing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

comedyblissoption posted:

Boycotts in software licensing is basically a form of economic boycotting.

Of course boycotts are a form of activism through doing nothing.

if you were buying a thing and now you don't buy it, you are the only substantive part of the boycott and you did do something

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also keep in mind that boycotts in software licensing and usage are not unusual. It's done in economic sanctions on other countries all the time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my left-pad implementation shall NOT be used by ISIS or any ISIS subcontractors!!! hah, take that!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

plus it's open source, not "open except for a bunch of people i don't like" source.
Wasn't open source started exactly to get back at a bunch of people nerds don't like?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Wasn't open source started exactly to get back at a bunch of people nerds don't like?

Nah that was free software

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ola posted:

My point is more it was a well established language with many years of usage by then...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

feedmegin posted:

My point is more it was a well established language with many years of usage by then...

Oh sure, I agree. "C++ 98" seems by semantic structure to be the 1998 version of something that came before. You probably wouldn't launch a new thing under that name, although knowing mathematics' and computer science's penchant for unhelpful nomenclature, perhaps it wouldn't be out of character.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

Also keep in mind that boycotts in software licensing and usage are not unusual. It's done in economic sanctions on other countries all the time.

It's illegal to exclude Israel from software licenses.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
"Hmm, this local restaurant menu page is so slow to load. I wonder why?"

* views source *

code:
<style type="text/css" data-styleid="languages">
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Roman"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Braggadocio-W01"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Clarendon-W01-Medium-692107"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "DIN-Next-W01-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "SnellRoundhandW01-Scrip"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Stencil-W01-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Victoria-Titling-MT-W90"; src: url(...

... 160 more @font-faces  ...
... Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ...

@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-weight: 700; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-style: italic; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-weight: 700; font-style: italic; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Medium"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Knedge-Bold"; src: url(...
</style>

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

plus it's open source, not "open except for a bunch of people i don't like" source.

What do you mean, and how is it different from "this product is licensed for use everywhere except Iran, North Korea, and $enemyoftheweek"?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

* views source *

code:
<style type="text/css" data-styleid="languages">
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Roman"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Braggadocio-W01"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Clarendon-W01-Medium-692107"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "DIN-Next-W01-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "SnellRoundhandW01-Scrip"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Stencil-W01-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Helvetica-W01-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Victoria-Titling-MT-W90"; src: url(...

... 160 more @font-faces  ...
... Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ...

@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-weight: 700; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-style: italic; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Lato-Light"; font-weight: 700; font-style: italic; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Bold"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Light"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "August-Medium"; src: url(...
@font-face {font-family: "Knedge-Bold"; src: url(...
</style>

now thats a spicy meatball !!

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

SupSuper posted:

Nah it was started to get rid of the political bits of the free software movement and make it more friendly to capitalism.

quote:

The Open Source Initiative chose the term "open source," in founding member Michael Tiemann's words, to "dump the moralizing and confrontational attitude that had been associated with 'free software'" and instead promote open source ideas on "pragmatic, business-case grounds."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

megalodong posted:

Nah it was started to get rid of the political bits of the free software movement and make it more friendly to capitalism.

The free market works

edit: OSI "Open source" was basically the embrace+extend+extinguish of the free software movement huh?

xtal fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 2, 2018

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Weatherman posted:

What do you mean, and how is it different from "this product is licensed for use everywhere except Iran, North Korea, and $enemyoftheweek"?

that's magical thinking too and also stupid. like north korea gives a gently caress about your software license.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

that's magical thinking too and also stupid. like north korea gives a gently caress about your software license.

Clearly we shouldn't have laws at all if north korea isn't going to abide by them. Chemical weapons for everyone!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

xtal posted:

The free market works

edit: OSI "Open source" was basically the embrace+extend+extinguish of the free software movement huh?

100%, and it basically worked. Modern open source software is a pretty good example of “privatize the gains and socialize the losses” by farming out the underlying libraries and boring infrastructure parts of development to the unpaid masses so that people can build on them to make $$$

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just found out ESR co-founded OSI and things are starting to make a lot more sense

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

100%, and it basically worked. Modern open source software is a pretty good example of “privatize the gains and socialize the losses” by farming out the underlying libraries and boring infrastructure parts of development to the unpaid masses so that people can build on them to make $$$

what're you talking about? what proportion of open source devs do you believe are unpaid?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah, for open source dealies that are actually used it's nearly all peeps gettin paid at their bigcorp job to do open source or gettin paid (sometimes much less, sometimes just as much as a big computer toucher) from a foundation or hitting large contracts from the credibility from saying, "i made this poo poo, i can support it"

they hosed this up in the specific case of openssl but openssl is a huge fuckup in all other ways too, you know

some of it is even more "publicize the gains privatize the losses" in the case of the bigcorps. of course they don't do this for charitable reasons (it's to choke other bigcorps and mediumcorps and in the case of the actual programmers, to try to get famous), but us peasants can glean the remainders

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

brap posted:

what're you talking about? what proportion of open source devs do you believe are unpaid?

Probably over 99% due to the massive quantity of open source software projects?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"that are actually used" is a very very important modifier in that one

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A significant amount of open source work is unpaid, and generally, those are the good parts.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 2, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Extremely important, mission critical open source software is maintained by tiny unpaid teams as small as one person. And I don't mean leftpad, I mean the bash shell, OpenSSL. People mock them for their bad code and easily preventable bugs, but nobody thought to throw any help their way for decades, even when using their software daily and basing their entire businesses on them

Similarly, the ubiquitous time zone database is a text file maintained by a dwindling team of graybeards that may have been whittled down to a single person (don't remember), and similarly small and forgotten teams maintain other pieces of critical infrastructure

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 3, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lumpy posted:

* views source *

That's actually fine, the font aren't loaded until they are used. Now using 160 fonts on one page is a different matter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nobody wants to pay for maintenance. And (at least partially in consequence) few people want to work on maintenance. So it's no surprise that mission-critical poo poo is all but abandoned.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Extremely important, mission critical open source software is maintained by tiny unpaid teams as small as one person. And I don't mean leftpad, I mean the bash shell, OpenSSL. People mock them for their bad code and easily preventable bugs, but nobody thought to throw any help their way for decades, even when using their software daily and basing their entire businesses on them

Similarly, the ubiquitous time zone database is a text file maintained by a dwindling team of graybeards that may have been whittled down to a single person (don't remember), and similarly small and forgotten teams maintain other pieces of critical infrastructure

I agree, but isn't the tz database maintained by ICANN now?

General point certainly stands though.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ola posted:

30 years ago i was at college and probably just got my first Commodore Amiga 500

38 Years ago i just got my first computer, a ZX81 with 16k ram pack

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Can somebody here educate me about Python machine learning reading from CSV being faster than having all data within database? As - why would you need a CSV if you can access given dataset from / manipulate given dataset on DB?

That's apparently something that will be done - either DB will be kept in synchronization with CSV datasets (probably, as the data needs to be accessed from other places as well), or operations will be performed on CSVs and it just makes me wonder whyyyyyyy

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

canis minor posted:

Can somebody here educate me about Python machine learning reading from CSV being faster than having all data within database? As - why would you need a CSV if you can access given dataset from / manipulate given dataset on DB?

That's apparently something that will be done - either DB will be kept in synchronization with CSV datasets (probably, as the data needs to be accessed from other places as well), or operations will be performed on CSVs and it just makes me wonder whyyyyyyy

It’s

- data-scientists aren’t engineers,
- databases aren’t in the right machines memory, and it needs to be transferred to the right machine, doing this over the network every time you re run your model would be slowwwww
- numpy and pandas can read from a csv into memory much faster than the database can transmit over the wire
- it’s portable and can easily be read and analysed in excel
- it’s not always csv, but csv is very common because of the portability

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 3, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anybody who can do data science can learn SQL.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

It’s

- data-scientists aren’t engineers,
- databases aren’t in the right machines memory, and it needs to be transferred to the right machine, doing this over the network every time you re run your model would be slowwwww
- numpy and pandas can read from a csv into memory much faster than the database can transmit over the wire
- it’s portable and can easily be read and analysed in excel

Thank you very much! I should have added a disclaimer that people responsible for this have access to database and knows how to act on it, which addresses a couple of points you brought up.

So, it's the matter of transferring datasets, which I guess, yes, there's a point there. I guess, if it run on the same box, would there still be much difference? (let's assume that data is read-only for machine learning algorithms, but will indeed change at any point after the algorithms are run)

From my perspective memory for datasets will still have to be reserved even if you operate on flat files vs database, so you're still allocating similar amount of memory (and that's the only thing that I could think of if accessing file datasets vs database datasets). Yeah, there's overhead for database, but that's only once... unless those algorithms are doing selects for every cell that they need to access, because yes, that would indeed be much slower

canis minor fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 3, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you used a local database or SQLite they would probably be approximately equivalent in terms of speed, but much, much more powerful. You could even query the database for the results as CSV and pipe that in to your program instead and the slowdown would be minimal. Whether or not the entire dataset fits in memory is a big difference, but orthogonal to the question of CSV vs. RDBMS.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

xtal posted:

If you used a local database or SQLite they would probably be approximately equivalent in terms of speed, but much, much more powerful. You could even query the database for the results as CSV and pipe that in to your program instead and the slowdown would be minimal. Whether or not the entire dataset fits in memory is a big difference, but orthogonal to the question of CSV vs. RDBMS.

This is what I wanted to hear, thank you very much! It's a good thing that I'm leaving this place and won't be dealing with engineering this (as, tracking who/what/when edited the CSVs, or the state of how many CSV are there is an information that needs to be tracked in a DB :v: )

canis minor fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Horse Clocks posted:

:rolleyes: