Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Fauna"??!

Grody!

Y'all shoving lizards up ye bum or what???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Then a little company named Coca-Cola came along, and in short order proceeded to no-lube assfuck Moxie back into the stone age.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2018/08/28/coca-cola-acquires-moxie-soda-brand-beloved-maine/1123348002/

:thunk:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rob Cockerham approves.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Same reason Coke and Pepsi do.

Someone on the forums once brought up the soft drink company (whose name, ironically, I can't recall right now) which used to have like 95% market share in the US in the early 19th century.

Their owner decided, "Why bother advertising, we own the market?" and slashed his advertising budget to almost zero. Apparently they were pretty much gone in just a couple of years.

People are stupid, fickle and have the short term memory of a puppy. If you're not in their face, you're out of their minds.

EDIT: This is why you read to the bottom of the page before replying:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Moxie did that. They were the top soda in north america for decades. They were so big they said "Why bother spending money on advertising? Everyone knows who we are, everyone drinks us, we're too big to be forgotten." So they drastically reduced their advertising budget.

Then a little company named Coca-Cola came along, and in short order proceeded to no-lube assfuck Moxie back into the stone age.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Sep 3, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Meanwhile Huoy Phong Foods doesn't advertise and they're the top of the game because people actually like sriracha sauce.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone on the forums once brought up the soft drink company (whose name, ironically, I can't recall right now) which used to have like 95% market share in the US in the early 19th century.

Their owner decided, "Why bother advertising, we own the market?" and slashed his advertising budget to almost zero. Apparently they were pretty much gone in just a couple of years.

People are stupid, fickle and have the short term memory of a puppy. If you're not in their face, you're out of their minds.

Yeah, they get brought up pretty much every time this conversation happens. I've mentioned them before and I'm probably not the first. It really is a prime example of what not to do if you want to have a successful gigantic company.

Moxie still exists. It's apparently still popular in various parts of New England. You can even order it online. I've never seen it personally sold anywhere I've lived but now I'm really tempted to snag a case to see what it's like.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, they get brought up pretty much every time this conversation happens. I've mentioned them before and I'm probably not the first. It really is a prime example of what not to do if you want to have a successful gigantic company.

Moxie still exists. It's apparently still popular in various parts of New England. You can even order it online. I've never seen it personally sold anywhere I've lived but now I'm really tempted to snag a case to see what it's like.

Its owned by Coke

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Only since a week ago.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ZenVulgarity posted:

Its owned by Coke

It's owned by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England, which is 100% owned by Japan's Kirin Brewery Company. Coke doesn't own an interest at all.

E: well, poo poo, I guess that changed a week ago

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Moxie still exists. It's apparently still popular in various parts of New England.

In this case "various parts of New England" means Maine.

It's even the state beverage!

It tastes fine but has a VERY strong aftertaste that is hard to get used to

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Internet Wizard posted:

Meanwhile Huoy Phong Foods doesn't advertise and they're the top of the game because people actually like sriracha sauce.

They get free advertising from the billion an one people on youtube and recipe sites that swear by sriracha sauce and dump it on everything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Bloop posted:

In this case "various parts of New England" means Maine.

It's even the state beverage!

It tastes fine but has a VERY strong aftertaste that is hard to get used to

And the mascot is, uhh, kind of intense.

Man, I mean, chill out guy. It's a carbonated beverage, not a mob hit.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
It's just gentian flavored cola, you can approximate it with a bottle of angostura bitters from the bar

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Skippy McPants posted:

And the mascot is, uhh, kind of intense.

Man, I mean, chill out guy. It's a carbonated beverage, not a mob hit.

"Hi, I'm Michael Corleone for Moxie."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For Moxie has a flavor all it's own
Good and pure, safe and sure!
Let everyone proclaim it's name and then, it's praises ringing
While they're singing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHX0g7WMK6Q

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Who the hell is David Hogg? Is he related to that total babe Daisy Hogg?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dagen H posted:

Rob Cockerham approves.

drat, that takes me back to before alcohol, and long-term memory of the most obscure poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Who the hell is David Hogg? Is he related to that total babe Daisy Hogg?

Speaking of, here's a thing that just showed up in the Trump thread in D&D,

https://twitter.com/aterfoddbitch/status/1036428729495351297

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

"Fauna"??!

Grody!

Y'all shoving lizards up ye bum or what???

Not initially, but a fly got up there and I lost the spider I sent after it. Things sorta got out of hand from there.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

didnt this thread do this with trumps cabinet like a year ago and everyone was thirsty af for jeffmina sessions

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

punchymcpunch posted:

didnt this thread do this with trumps cabinet like a year ago and everyone was thirsty af for jeffmina sessions

I think that was the result of an Instagram/Snapchat filter. I remember Rei Priebus being a cutie. That was a fun image, these new ones are just... disturbing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

This is the most cursed image I've ever seen

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It came up briefly

But outside of a little discussion no, this thread didn't do anything near the attempt to fetishize these people. I'm pretty certain that popped up elsewhere as well so I can't guarantee nobody on SA did that.

nerdz posted:

Steve Bannon wants to speak to the manager

still makes me laugh though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Jevholution/status/1036415320959930368

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I won't say hot but Guliani as a lady is pretty striking, good look.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Steve Bannon lady is literally my mom holy poo poo

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They get free advertising from the billion an one people on youtube and recipe sites that swear by sriracha sauce and dump it on everything.

I dont like the strong vegetable aftertaste that taints everything it touches It does have a light heat which works for babies first hotsauce. fight me sriacha nerds.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

snergle posted:

I dont like the strong vegetable aftertaste that taints everything it touches It does have a light heat which works for babies first hotsauce. fight me sriacha nerds.

It's really good as an alternative to the "flavor packet" in cheap instant ramen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know who the one in the lower left is but the App really hosed up because it looks like the guy Hannibal convinced to cut his own face

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Samuringa posted:

I don't know who the one in the lower left is but the App really hosed up because it looks like the guy Hannibal convinced to cut his own face

Don't blame the app, it tried, it really really tried.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pookah posted:

Don't blame the app, it tried, it really really tried.

That one's great cause the app just didn't know what the gently caress to do with him. A female turtle is still the turtle

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/IcedOutHentai/status/1036376041424596992?s=19

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
🤔

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Idgi

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
She looks like Griffith from Berserk who sacrified the Band of the Hawk (his mercenary crew):

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there any evidence that this is true? It'd make (or, makes) a dramatic story, but searching for a simple "moxie stopped advertising" turns up nothing relevant.

Plus, I could have sworn I heard a nearly identical story about a toothpaste brand.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Strudel Man posted:

Is there any evidence that this is true? It'd make (or, makes) a dramatic story, but searching for a simple "moxie stopped advertising" turns up nothing relevant.

Plus, I could have sworn I heard a nearly identical story about a toothpaste brand.

Yes. Colgate did the same thing. Had like, 90% market share, stopped advertising, and now has only about a third of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Strudel Man posted:

It's not so much that they stopped advertising out of hubris because they owned the market and were high on their own farts, but they cut back their advertising budget because of the Great Depression and Coke and Pepsi overtook them in popularity.