Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Where Kingdom's Edge itself is one of the very last zones I reached...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Here's a fun fact if you're wondering how weird you can go through the game: the Gruz Mother has Dream Nail dialogue.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I still don't really understand the plot of this game. In particular, what is the void? Is it good/bad/neutral? Is it sentient? The imagery of the ending, where The Radiance is consumed by a sinister-looking darkness, doesn't exactly look optimistic to me. If The Radiance gets destroyed, what exactly is supposed to happen next? Will all of the bugs regain their consciousness and, presumably, making Hallownest a better place? Will that be explored in the Hornet game?

Unrelated, but I think the most disturbing/sad part of the game is what happens to Myla. Why did you ever go underground, little bug? Cornifer and Iselda, however, are rad. Can I just hang out with them instead of going underground?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DorianGravy posted:

I still don't really understand the plot of this game. In particular, what is the void? Is it good/bad/neutral? Is it sentient? The imagery of the ending, where The Radiance is consumed by a sinister-looking darkness, doesn't exactly look optimistic to me. If The Radiance gets destroyed, what exactly is supposed to happen next? Will all of the bugs regain their consciousness and, presumably, making Hallownest a better place? Will that be explored in the Hornet game?

Unrelated, but I think the most disturbing/sad part of the game is what happens to Myla. Why did you ever go underground, little bug? Cornifer and Iselda, however, are rad. Can I just hang out with them instead of going underground?
Extremely simplified version of the plot, Ending/Final Boss warning:

The void is true neutral/good. Least my reading of it. Most of the void constructs just want to murder Radiance then go back to bed.

Radiance is a bug deity that made all insects live as a hive mind (or something similar). Pale King (as a rival god) comes along and offers a way better deal so everyone follows him instead and gains independent thought. Only cost? Forsake Radiance and forget she exists.
Bugs toss out all statues of Radiance and erase her from their minds.
Life is good but one day, many years later, in the mines people dig up a statue of Radiance and memories start coming back in dreams. This slowly gives her more power and she begins loving everyone over in revenge. Pale King is just like drat this sucks and begins dozens of different plans to re-seal her or kill her or whatever. Culminates in him finding the void and making a construct of it to battle/contain Radiance.
It doesn't work.
Uncertain amount of time later one of the void constructs (The Knight) wanders into dirt mouth and sets out to finish the fight and stop Radiance from murdering everyone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lit all of the candles for Grey Prince Zoe :toot: There's like six more iterations of that guy aren't there.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Extremely simplified version of the plot, Ending/Final Boss warning:

The void is true neutral/good. Least my reading of it. Most of the void constructs just want to murder Radiance then go back to bed.

Radiance is a bug deity that made all insects live as a hive mind (or something similar). Pale King (as a rival god) comes along and offers a way better deal so everyone follows him instead and gains independent thought. Only cost? Forsake Radiance and forget she exists.
Bugs toss out all statues of Radiance and erase her from their minds.
Life is good but one day, many years later, in the mines people dig up a statue of Radiance and memories start coming back in dreams. This slowly gives her more power and she begins loving everyone over in revenge. Pale King is just like drat this sucks and begins dozens of different plans to re-seal her or kill her or whatever. Culminates in him finding the void and making a construct of it to battle/contain Radiance.
It doesn't work.
Uncertain amount of time later one of the void constructs (The Knight) wanders into dirt mouth and sets out to finish the fight and stop Radiance from murdering everyone.

Did they actually uncover an full-on statue of Radiance? Would be a cool little detail to look out for on my next playthrough.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There is a statue in Crystal Peak (It's at the very top where the pale ore is found) but I'm pretty sure "miners dig it up and this triggers memories of Radiance" is 100% fanfiction.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Darox posted:

There is a statue in Crystal Peak (It's at the very top where the pale ore is found) but I'm pretty sure "miners dig it up and this triggers memories of Radiance" is 100% fanfiction.

I'm 99% sure that I read it in game somewhere.

I mean I could be wrong but one npc I recall talking about them finding something long forgotten up there in a expedition, and when you dream nail the statue it begs you to remember the light. Then there's hunter notes talking about how the crystals in the mine all have some kind of Radiance residue in them and staring into them freaks Hunter out. I'd have to boot it up again to double check really.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I always thought the stuff at the peak of Crystal Peak was a moth village, since it has a Radiance statue and we know the moth folk worshipped the Radiance (i.e. because they're moths and they're drawn to light like that)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm still kinda trash at combat and it's very likely that Godmaster is largely just going to be Too Much for me but drat it I looked up some of the things from like the ending and the Ordeal and now I just want to spend all night practicing in the Hall of Gods

Let's all become void, together

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

So It Goes posted:

If you're on PC, download the invincibility mod, unlock everything you need to unlock and then turn it off. Play them in the hall after its unlocked.

I switched to the Switch version when it came out. :(

SirSamVimes posted:

Start a save file with the newly unlocked mode, you will have every boss unlocked in the Hall of Gods except Absolute Radiance.

This assumes I have have the mode unlocked. :negative:

However, I did just blast through the first two pantheons, including a proud lil moment when I beat Paintmaster Sheo on my first try. :3: I did have to practice against Oro & Mato in the Hall of Gods, but it wasn't long before I got them. With a partial minion build, but whatever!

The last thing standing in my way for the third pantheon is the fact that I've never met the God Tamer. So I'm gonna throw my face against TotF for a bit and see about getting that unlocked. And if I can't, I'll just wait til the patch :v: At least Uumuu will be much easier then!

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Doublepost, because I got through the damnable floorless section and beat TotF! Even without killing the God Tamer like I wanted. Is this what it feels like to git gud?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm mildly annoyed that the boss room doesn't let you train against the Radiance (maybe it does if you've already beat her?).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm mildly annoyed that the boss room doesn't let you train against the Radiance (maybe it does if you've already beat her?).

Well, it doesn't let you train against the REGULAR Radiance...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Confirm or deny something for me fellas. Are the bosses in Hollow Knight in general harder on Switch compared to PC? I've heard this from a few friends that there are additional phases and attacks for some and since I have no personal frame of reference, having only played on Switch, I'd like to know for sure.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

One of the free content packs was a major overhaul of the game that tweaked a lot of the bosses. Traitor Lord being a big one, original was a push over I've read and now they're a big roadblock for a lot of people.

So if they've only played the original V1.0 PC release, it's technically true. But current PC and Switch versions are the same.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They specifically called out Hornet having an additional phase, which I never heard anything about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alxprit posted:

They specifically called out Hornet having an additional phase, which I never heard anything about.

It's not true at all.

The only thing I can think of is the balance patch they're apparently testing on the PC version which the Switch hasn't gotten yet.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I've been doing another run of the game from the start and keep getting caught off guard by stuff I guess Lifeblood added

Those puffy moss dudes in Greenpath going UUUUUUUURG when you kill them startled me quite a bit

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I Said No posted:

I've been doing another run of the game from the start and keep getting caught off guard by stuff I guess Lifeblood added

Those puffy moss dudes in Greenpath going UUUUUUUURG when you kill them startled me quite a bit

that’s actually something i dislike a lot. I loved Greenpath having this silent but pleasant feel only really disturbed by charger rumbling or moss knight shambling, and I really don’t like the new sounds for those guys. I realize this is a super minor gripe that is specific to my narrow personal preference tho

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Regarding the Void:

I would say that if there's anything in the game that hints at the Void having any sort of motivation or disposition, it's certainly not that it's benevolent. Literally the only thing it does of its own volition is a) try to kill you and b) kill the Radiance. I am definitely leaning more and more into the idea that letting the Void win is not a good thing for Hallownest.

Also (unrelated but interesting) that big Lifeblood thing in the Abyss is in Godhome: https://www.reddit.com/r/HollowKnight/comments/9ahtj0/found_the_lifeblood_creature_in_godhome

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'd be mad too if someone came into my house and woke me up only to start cutting pieces out of me and trying to force the sun into them

Also, Hallownest is already dead. Putting a stop to Radiance just allows it to finally be put to rest

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 2, 2018

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Does anyone know if the (godmaster)ending(s) in godmaster play out any differently if you don't have the void heart?

My assumption about that is that the void monster thingy only appears with the void heart, same as the normal "true ending." I'm wondering if godmaster has a similar consideration regarding a "united void" being required to see the Radiance.

I hadn't seen any particular discussion about that, so feel free to point me to other stuff if it's already been researched.

Edit: I just realized that Absolute Radiance probably wouldn't appear, given that you couldn't have fought The Radiance without the void heart.
Still, I'm wondering how it plays out in that case. Does pantheon 5 just not unlock? Can you play it, but end at Pure Vessel? Do you see Absolute Radiance regardless?

brain dammej fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 2, 2018

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I noticed White Defender's bio mentions something called the Battle of the Blackwyrm. I doubt it'll ever be expanded upon, but I wonder if there was another wyrm besides the Pale King they all had to kill. Might explain that one up at the colosseum, unless that's just the other end of the king's previous corpse.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I beat the Trial of Fools for the first time today and wow, I feel bad for the God Tamer :( I killed their big friend

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Died during the last phase of AR :negative:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Knorth posted:

I beat the Trial of Fools for the first time today and wow, I feel bad for the God Tamer :( I killed their big friend

I finally beat Trial of the Fool today too! (After far too many tries...) Did you kill the big beast first? I killed the little guy first, and the big one didn't seem to mind.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah. When I killed the big bug, the Tamer just collapsed to the ground in sorrow and stopped the fight :(

Also, the charm you get when you choose to Banish seems pretty useful. It just gives you a chance to not take damage when you get hit. I don't know what the percentage is or anything but it happened twice in the boss of the first Pantheon and definitely saved me when I was doing the panicky 'new fight flailing'

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 3, 2018

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Knorth posted:

Yeah. When I killed the big bug, the Tamer just collapsed to the ground in sorrow and stopped the fight :(

Hmm, then maybe I should concentrate my attacks on the big bug. Right after beating the Trial of the Fool, I tried my newly-unlocked Pantheon 3 and I lost to the God Tamer there. I guess he got his revenge...

Congrats on your victory, by the way! I guess that makes us both fools.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DorianGravy posted:

Hmm, then maybe I should concentrate my attacks on the big bug. Right after beating the Trial of the Fool, I tried my newly-unlocked Pantheon 3 and I lost to the God Tamer there. I guess he got his revenge...

Thanks, congrats to you too :)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DorianGravy posted:

The big bug actually has less hp than the tamer herself. :eng101:

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
Finally beat the God Tamer/Trail of the Fool by completely changing tactics and going as defensive/passive damage as possible. I'm gonna go see if I can beat Pantheon 2 now. I think once I manage to do that I'll be pleased. I don't see myself beating NKG or Pantheon 3 but who knows.

edit: yeah I beat pantheon two but gently caress uumuu

Mr_Moose fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 3, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The big bug is the God Tamer and the nice lady bug is just his pal. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

The big bug is the God Tamer and the nice lady bug is just his pal. :colbert:

The nice lady bug is the God Tamer, the big boy is the god she tamed. :colbert:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

It's a common misconception: the boss's name is Godta Mer. First name Godta, last name Mer. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I beat the Radiance last night! God it felt so good that this fun little bug game ends with The Darkness Of The Void devouring an elder god.

And then saw that Godmaster added a superboss arena. :shepicide:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Got to PV in pantheon 5 then choked from the pressure. :negative:

I’ve got everything else down it’s just that if I start taking hits from PV I freak out and keep making mistakes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can you do the pantheon of hallownest without the void heart?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Finally I can go ahead and blow out my god drat brains. Holy poo poo what a tense ending to that fight.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Hello hollow knight thread, I just want to say that I defeated the Mantis lords and I'm proud of myself even if I had the third nail and hiveblood charm.