Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an odd question. When I was on iPhone, I had my mom, dad, and certain friends set up with a nickname. Like in iMessage it'd actually say "Mom" instead of "Real Name". When I imported thing to my Pixel 2, it kept the nicknames, but they never show. I understand I can tell Google Assistant to "call Mom" and it'd do it. But is there any way to have the nickname show in Android Messages or the phone app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

The Pixels have hit the FCC. No real new info aside from the full list of band support. T-Mobile's 600mhz band is there as expected.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/31/google-pixel-3-and-pixel-3-xl-hit-the-fcc/

It lacks Band 20? That seems like a pretty major omission.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have an odd question. When I was on iPhone, I had my mom, dad, and certain friends set up with a nickname. Like in iMessage it'd actually say "Mom" instead of "Real Name". When I imported thing to my Pixel 2, it kept the nicknames, but they never show. I understand I can tell Google Assistant to "call Mom" and it'd do it. But is there any way to have the nickname show in Android Messages or the phone app?

Not possible as far as I'm aware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daily Forecast posted:

It lacks Band 20? That seems like a pretty major omission.

Band 20 isn't in use in the US, so the omission on the FCC documents may just indicate a lack of testing rather than lack of support.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Band 20 is widely used in Europe, no chance the Pixel doesn't have it here.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LastInLine posted:

drat. Oh well

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

LastInLine posted:

Is it because he imported contacts or something? Because under contacts my parents are labeled Dad and Mom and Google understands to call/text them when I ask it too.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Is it because he imported contacts or something? Because under contacts my parents are labeled Dad and Mom and Google understands to call/text them when I ask it too.

He said that works, he just wants the displayed name to read dad/mom. I would just change the contact name

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

OhFunny posted:

It's the difference between putting "mom" as the contacts first name and a separate label that associates "mom" with Jane Smith or whatever.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just rumors right now.

Supposedly, they'll be either exactly at last year's price or $50-100 cheaper.

If they are smart they'll lower the price and go head to head with OnePlus. They probably won't be and instead they'll raise the price and get crushed by Apple and Samsung again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's no universe in which they wouldn't, no matter what they field as a product.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You know, after two years of selling exclusively through one carrier at the highest possible price point, I'm beginning to suspect that Google doesn't care about how many they sell!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
*extremely samsung voice* light sensor integrated into the watch band

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Pie has pretty much cured android shittiness

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Millstone posted:

Someone is gonna be a big whiny idiot about the faded/pastels color palette and font though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, two days ago I decided to get a new phone and give mine (Huawei P9) to my wife to replace her aging P8 Lite (2016). At least my P9 was on July's security update because hers was still stuck in November 2017.

After a few years using Windows Phone, my dad having an up to date Nokia 3, my workphone being a Nokia 6 I said, why the gently caress not? Nokia 7 Plus is at home. Phone is drat pretty (black copper), compared to my P9 (5.2" screen) is not that bigger, just a bit more taller. Feels great and as soon as I booted it, got all the security updates up to august one (running 8.1 same as my dad's 2017 Nokia 3 to show how good Nokia is updating their devices). Camera is good and I love the dual camera feature.

I was on the fence about getting the Xiaomi Mi A2 but the bigger battery (3800mAh Nokia vs 3000mAh Mi A2) and the camera (Zeiss optics never let me down in all Lumias I've owned) pushed me to pay a bit more (Mi A2 279€ vs Nokia 7 Plus 340€). Mi A2 is a good looking mid ranger but the 7 plus finish is fantastic and feels like a tank.

(also Dual-sim or microSD on sim2 slot and headphone jack :ssh:)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nokia's only main weakness is low light pictures, if you don't mind using a slightly laggy GCam mod for those it's an outstanding phone. They really knock it out of the park on build quality.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh, I don't mind a slightly laggy gcam if it can do better low light shots. I'll google a bit to find more about it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Goog are looking back to the iPhone 4 for inspiration now, and it's in the form of OPsec - https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/02/someone-left-pixel-3-xl-back-lyft/

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
One thing that doesn't get enough credit is the quick edit shortcut when you take a screenshot on the Note 8. If you select the crop option it defaults to cropping out the notification bar (and the nav buttons if you have them visible for some reason). Two taps and no more "charge ur phone" comments on your latest IOSM post.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess someone found a Pixel 3 XL in the back of a Lyft :lol:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Desk Lamp posted:

One thing that doesn't get enough credit is the quick edit shortcut when you take a screenshot on the Note 8. If you select the crop option it defaults to cropping out the notification bar (and the nav buttons if you have them visible for some reason). Two taps and no more "charge ur phone" comments on your latest IOSM post.

One thing I really like about the Mate SE is the ability to take scrolling screenshots, allowing the longest screenshots in the world with no effort or need to upload multiple images to capture an article or conversation. I wish it would make its way to stock android. Warning: conspiracy insanity in this image.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

That's also on Samsung devices, so it'll be on their copy-list for stock.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

Except for a bug that I can't quite isolate where audio notifications for text messages stop working necessitating a reboot, I am generally in agreement. Other than that I have no complaints. I haven't had an application or basic operations crash in quite a while so I dunno what shittiness you're referring to specifically.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phone not on vibrate 24/7? Old person spotted.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I realized a few months ago that custom ringtones and notification sounds were pointless because I had my phone on vibrate 99% of the time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I guess someone found a Pixel 3 XL in the back of a Lyft :lol:

People on Reddit are already going "this is just a publicity stunt by Google! All of it is! They know the Pixel 3 XL is going to fail"

It's kind of sad.

Also someone who claims that they saw a "Pixel Ultra" which is really just the small Pixel 3.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/donovansung/status/1036559638714445824
Xiaomi's October flagship (Mix 3?) has 5G

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

anakha posted:

Yeah, I realized a few months ago that custom ringtones and notification sounds were pointless because I had my phone on vibrate 99% of the time.

Does your phone never leave your pocket? I don't like keeping it in there while I'm at home.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Khablam posted:

Goog are looking back to the iPhone 4 for inspiration now, and it's in the form of OPsec - https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/02/someone-left-pixel-3-xl-back-lyft/

Why do these ppl with test devices keep leaving them places? I feel like if I had a test device I would be more conscious of it than I already am with my phone and I've never left a personal phone at a bar or in a taxi ever (knock on wood).

I see what you're saying I feel like it could be intentional to build hype???

Also the Pixel 3 XL will be $1000 USD b/c why would they stop at the notch as far as following apple is concerned.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

64bit_Dophins posted:

Why do these ppl with test devices keep leaving them places? I feel like if I had a test device I would be more conscious of it than I already am with my phone and I've never left a personal phone at a bar or in a taxi ever (knock on wood).

Google lost track of an entire crate of the things. There's a lot of them floating around.

In any case, accidents happen. :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 3, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Dat screen ratio is getting me hot and bothered

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
MIUI meanwhile has me just bothered.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Does your phone never leave your pocket? I don't like keeping it in there while I'm at home.

At home, I'm either getting my notifications on my laptop, doing something where my phone's in my pocket/within reach, or am on Do Not Disturb mode.

The 1% is when I'm in a noisy area and am waiting for an email or text.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Just leave it on a counter or table. Sometimes I don't see notifications for a little while after they happen. The need for immediacy is rare. I can usually hear a phone call's vibrations, but I can call them back if I don't!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My dad is convinced that expandable memory and removable batteries are killer features in smartphones. What’s the best Android phone that has that nonsense? I think he’s probably going to buy an LG G4, is that two year old device as good as it gets?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

tuyop posted:

My dad is convinced that expandable memory and removable batteries are killer features in smartphones. What’s the best Android phone that has that nonsense?

Galaxy S9 and none.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Galaxy S9 and none.

Uh, Samsung phones do not have removable batteries.

e: ahhh gotcha
vvvvvvv

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The wording wasn't great, I meant to say S9 for the first criteria and none for the latter.