Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Turd Herder posted:

Just played this Doublestrike / Laceratre 3.3 build for 19.5 hours and am only on act 5? Should I delete and restart?

If you're new to the game don't worry about taking your time. You've got 3 months to do your thing, pick something you enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're not shield charging through the story as fast as possible then I don't even know.

No I don't care about your stupid home you assholes why can't I just become a supreme evil and finish the destruction to shut you all up :argh:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I still take forever going through acts just relax and enjoy

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Still on act 4 because I've been busy and also delving is fun so I get sidetracked a lot

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Can I get a guild invite for DelvingMonkeys please?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

boredsatellite posted:

So watching streams and it seems once you have a high enough darkness resistance you should go to the lower level delves and farm currency and fossils because it seems the drop rate may be too high.

Probably going to get nerfed so with enough resists should probably do that. I've been busy so sadly I can't join in it

how low level is low level

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Edit: explained this wrong.

The way the mine is procedurally generated, it will not make nodes connected to only 2 paths. 1, 3, or 4 connections only. Niko’s main shaft ignores this - but anywhere else you have a node with only 2 connections, there will be another connection hidden there.

Jinnigan posted:

I just got a Hollow Fossil from a level 6 delve.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 3, 2018

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

none of the goony goons telling you you don't have balls would be stupid enough to use it

I used all my reliquary keys during legacy, going to use all of them here too :colbert:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

Ziggy was farming the level 20 areas. But basically anywhere where he had a 75% darkness resist and he just went around farming fossils and currency

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

Edit: explained this wrong.

The way the mine is procedurally generated, it will not make nodes connected to only 2 paths. 1, 3, or 4 connections only. Niko’s main shaft ignores this - but anywhere else you have a node with only 2 connections, there will be another connection hidden there.

That's not true. It might be rarer, and thus those are good spots to check, but they CAN generate with only two connections:

Even without the exploration I did to check for unused routes, you can tell by the map that the node can't possibly lead anywhere else. It's possible that the generation algorithm sometimes gets stuck like this and just goes "oh well 2 is enough".

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

Ziggy was farming the level 20 areas. But basically anywhere where he had a 75% darkness resist and he just went around farming fossils and currency

From what I messed around with, it's definitely the best way to get fossils and resonators because they don't seem to be depth blocked (or at least, most of them) and it's way easier to blow up walls and explore dark corners with high darkness resistance. However, the higher value fossils are still rare to get a hold of.

For currency, you are better off diving deeper because the encounter nodes seem to spawn more chests per node the deeper you dive (barring maybe Vaal outposts).

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Even without the exploration I did to check for unused routes, you can tell by the map that the node can't possibly lead anywhere else. It's possible that the generation algorithm sometimes gets stuck like this and just goes "oh well 2 is enough".

Check checking the map isn't exact science either I've seen one like that where you open a stupidly long path to the hidden area.

The pattern seems to be, a pathway can't open on a 1 path node area as it would create a 2 path node, 2 path node is impossible barring niko's shaft thus there must be a breakable wall and if there is no 2 path node around the hidden area then its a 3 path node as 4 path node can be a thing.

And yeah lower level is mainly fossils from what I've seen but couple of chaos here and there adds up too

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
well i feel basically burned out already, i don't hate delve but i don't particularly like it either. i don't find the delves themselves interesting and exploring is a pain in the rear end. it has 0 impact on maps, which is what i personally enjoy the most. might just be i should've picked up a skill that plays more smoothly than bv at low wealth, or maybe 3000 hours of path of exile is taking its toll. hard 2 say.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I only got to put in a few hours before leaving for the weekend but I got that feeling as well. Doesn't help that Monster Hunter is really grabbing me atm

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I keep switching between CA and Toxic Rain and I can't really decide which I like more. TR was great to level with but now that the build is more fleshed out CA feels a little nicer to clear with. I suspect TR has better single target so I may keep it around as a swap since they both scale almost exactly the same way.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Are people scaling their caustic arrows and toxic rain with just the dot with quill rain or +3 bow? Or are people scaling the physical conversion? I've been focusing on the physical conversion with poison so I'm not sure which is better. Stuff melts like instantly in yellow maps and like 130 delves. Not sure if the damage keeps up at red maps or later.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

...But...I was trying to get to the Harbinger secret node. How the gently caress did you get from there to the Fossil node?!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

AegisP posted:

...But...I was trying to get to the Harbinger secret node. How the gently caress did you get from there to the Fossil node?!

it could connect from the top right, or the bottom middle, or even the bottom left.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Velveteen posted:

Are people scaling their caustic arrows and toxic rain with just the dot with quill rain or +3 bow? Or are people scaling the physical conversion? I've been focusing on the physical conversion with poison so I'm not sure which is better. Stuff melts like instantly in yellow maps and like 130 delves. Not sure if the damage keeps up at red maps or later.

Yeah I've been scaling the phys for the poison with a Lioneye's. The DoT doesn't really seem to need the extra levels for clearing and the poison helps the single target. Quill rain with added chaos might be better though if you can work out the mana.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

please knock Mom! posted:

If you're new to the game don't worry about taking your time. You've got 3 months to do your thing, pick something you enjoy

I was being sarcastic, But it really is only my 2nd run through the story so I'm actually making better time. By my 3rd season I may have it down.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MMF Freeway posted:

I keep switching between CA and Toxic Rain and I can't really decide which I like more. TR was great to level with but now that the build is more fleshed out CA feels a little nicer to clear with. I suspect TR has better single target so I may keep it around as a swap since they both scale almost exactly the same way.

That's what I'm doing. CA for clearing, and TR for Single Target.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
For anyone that is wondering how Toxic Rain does around mid game. I made a video running a T9 map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRzUH_f9lD4

I'm on a 5L Toxic Rain scaling the physical damage portion of it with poison. My Herald of Agony is unlinked and my gear is honestly pretty bad. Missing the last ascendency and my gems aren't quite leveled yet. But its melting stuff faster than when I was playing rain of arrows. Toxic Rain is probably my new favorite bow skill. Its just so effective.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

it could connect from the top right, or the bottom middle, or even the bottom left.

Can't get there from the left(bottom left). There's no open node in that direction, just grid squares occupied by paths. The node directly down from it could have a hidden path, or the one directly to the right, or any of the nodes connected to the empty spaces connected to its upward side.

boredsatellite posted:

Check checking the map isn't exact science either I've seen one like that where you open a stupidly long path to the hidden area.

The pattern seems to be, a pathway can't open on a 1 path node area as it would create a 2 path node, 2 path node is impossible barring niko's shaft thus there must be a breakable wall and if there is no 2 path node around the hidden area then its a 3 path node as 4 path node can be a thing.

And yeah lower level is mainly fossils from what I've seen but couple of chaos here and there adds up too

Are you saying I'm wrong? The map clearly shows there are no spaces where paths could go. The right square is occupied by a non-hidden node, the up and down directions are already used, and if you go left you hit a dead end.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Someone on reddit pointed out an interesting tidbit, apparently rooms can be connected to 1 other room (a dead end), or 3 or 4 other rooms, but never exactly 2 rooms. A checkpoint that is only connected to 2 other rooms is where you should start looking for any hidden paths first.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

J posted:

Someone on reddit pointed out an interesting tidbit, apparently rooms can be connected to 1 other room (a dead end), or 3 or 4 other rooms, but never exactly 2 rooms. A checkpoint that is only connected to 2 other rooms is where you should start looking for any hidden paths first.

I'm not the only one that found a counter-example, but it might only happen at relatively shallow depths. My node is depth 10.

This is the other counter-example, and in fact shows two nodes that have two connections:

One is the one near the middle of the screen, and another is a weapon room up-left of that. The one to the right is the one that connects to the hidden gem room, if I'm reading the post right.

It's possible that the generator does this when room chains get too long without connecting to other branches, to avoid forcing players to take long detours to get to specific rooms.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

:toot: Soul Mantle drop for my Arc Spell Totem Hierophant, SSF. Time to burn fusings.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to hit up a level 3 azerite node, and the crawler decided to pass by 5 stopping points before phasing through a wall and leaving me to die. I cant imagine doing this on hardcore lmfao

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm pushing down now, taking a detour for an Abyssal City somewhere around depth 135. Level 85, haven't done more than a dozen maps since 72. Going to push further till like maybe 200 tonight, I dunno.

I really like delves.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What should I start this league with, ssf, that isn't arc-based

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AegisP posted:

It can be above, above right, now right, or below.

It can not be bottom left.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vaal Regalia

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Regarding burnout chat:

I have a fuckton of hours logged (1700+) of PoE. I think it's my most played game ever, and I've been playing off and on since I got a beta DVD from Chris at PAX.

What I do every time I come back, or start a new league, is I *always* play the new poo poo, to hell if it'll make a "good starter." If I played arc totems/traps again, I'd be bored out of mind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just beat Act 10 without following a build guide for the first time :toot:

Now it's time to watch my build fall apart in maps/delve.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive never done a totem build in this game once and I probably wont until they change the game to allow cast on crit warchief or something

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this race for 100 is super close. havoc was 15 mil behind and has closed it to like 6. currently like 5 minutes behind but running out of xp bar.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This is a tense race

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
What builds are they playing?

Also mostly unrelated, but any reports on the EHit nerf? Would it still be a relatively good choice as a build to try to grind out the 36 challenges?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Havoc loving did it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Papercut posted:

What builds are they playing?

Also mostly unrelated, but any reports on the EHit nerf?
havoc played ele hit lol

he won by like 2 minutes or something. absolutely insane push at the end

hearing his team desperately trying to keep up with map rolling and poo poo was actually kind of cool. they borrowed like a mirror worth of map poo poo in the last hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Awesome! posted:

havoc played ele hit lol

he won by like 2 minutes or something. absolutely insane push at the end

hearing his team desperately trying to keep up with map rolling and poo poo was actually kind of cool. they borrowed like a mirror worth of map poo poo in the last hour

Okay well I know what I'm funding after my league starter, lol