Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
ANONYMOUS

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Isn't BoI extra content loathed at this point over how much it bloated the game to the point where people made mods to remove the extra upgrades?

i thought antibirth was one of those streamlining mods so lol at having to pay for it now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wait until you meet the dude even goonier than Otacon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Looper posted:

i thought antibirth was one of those streamlining mods so lol at having to pay for it now

Nah it was developed around the same time as Afterbirth+ and a lot of fans liked the new Antibirth content more than the official expansion that launched around the same time. Honestly it's cool that the Antibirth modders are presumably now getting paid and officially recognized for their work! It's a really content heavy mod

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm kind of baffled at how much of, an actual legit metal gear game ghost babel is, on the gameboy color

like it's obvious that they kind of compromised with giving it a level-based structure but at the same time that kind of saves it from the curse of constant backtracking without losing the fun sense of exploration and everything else feels decently up to par with earlier metal gear

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Colonel posted:

i'm kind of baffled at how much of, an actual legit metal gear game ghost babel is, on the gameboy color

Yeah I actually had it for my GBC as a teenager, and it loving owned.
Legit good game as well.

The minimap was always the thing that blew me away. Like a GBC screen was already pretty small, but to have a functional minimap on screen was really really cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, its pretty much the unsung Metal Gear entry. The game is also technically canon because if you do the post game missions you find out that, its one of Raiden's VR training missions

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It has Virtual Missions, for training, as well doesn't it? And there's a gently caress ton of them?

That game ruled.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeaaaaaah that's the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0d2psDz-c

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

AND it was the ‘prequel’ to MGS2

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, its pretty much the unsung Metal Gear entry. The game is also technically canon because if you do the post game missions you find out that, its one of Raiden's VR training missions

Pretty sure that's only true for the post-game part which is based on the "real" events of the main game. There was probably going to be Ghost Babel 2 which would've continued that particular storyline but it never came to be.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ghost Babel being its own thing branching off the original Metal Gear is what makes it one of the better MG titles in terms of narrative. Kojima and co. should've played with alternate continuities (Acid, Ghost Babel, the infamous Snake's Revenge) more instead of tying the franchise to 7+ entries of convoluted nonsense.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinitum posted:

It has Virtual Missions, for training, as well doesn't it? And there's a gently caress ton of them?

That game ruled.

yeah there's a ton and it's a mix up of stuff from mgs1 and original missions built newly for ghost babel

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GUI posted:

instead of tying the franchise to 7+ entries of convoluted nonsense.

I don't think you 'get' what Metal Gear is about :v:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Metal Gear Solid: PSVR Missions would've been a smart way to promote Sony's VR headset maybe idk

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Someone's playing Ghost Babel?

Best and Worst game.

You'll know when you get there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ghost Babel and Game Boy have the same initials

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kojima does it again, foresaw the popularity of DS games with subtitles that have “DS” as initials

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Kojima does it again, foresaw the popularity of DS games with subtitles that have “DS” as initials
Lunar Knights, known in Japan as Bokura no Taiyō: Django & Sabata (ボクらの太陽 Django & Sabata, "Our Sun: Django & Sabata") and abbreviated Boktai DS

A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the light sensor on boktai never worked that well for me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Accordion Man posted:

in ground zeroes "deja vu" you have a little minigame where you erase the "canon" games' logos and neither ghost babel or portable ops are

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Labor Day theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TernF7ywzw0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

this could be any gacha except touken ranbu though, clearly their marketing team hasn't thought this through
theres gacha games with hot guys besides touken ranbu, for instance fgo just introduced sexy hunk napoleon, or there's that one where all the guys are just buff and have hairy chests

GUI posted:

Ghost Babel being its own thing branching off the original Metal Gear is what makes it one of the better MG titles in terms of narrative. Kojima and co. should've played with alternate continuities (Acid, Ghost Babel, the infamous Snake's Revenge) more instead of tying the franchise to 7+ entries of convoluted nonsense.
this is the best idea for most any longrunning franchise that isnt trying to tell one big story from the start, but even if you make everything alternate and separated people will basically demand that it all be connected anyways. see: zelda

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Even the first Boktai trailer from E3 2003 had hidden depths.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

in ground zeroes "deja vu" you have a little minigame where you erase the "canon" games' logos and neither ghost babel or portable ops are
As I said, technically, because the events of Ghost Babel never happened in the MGS continuity, its just a simulation. I also like the fan theory that Twin Snakes was Raiden's simulation of Shadow Moses, hence why its more embellished and over the top compared to the original PS1 version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I live in Texas and while I had Boktai I couldn't play it because the sun was too bright and the game thought I cheated

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tfw you look up hentai games with wireless onahole controllers as a joke, and ebay continues to send you deals on onaholes weeks later. massive self own

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

homeless snail posted:

tfw you look up hentai games with wireless onahole controllers as a joke, and ebay continues to send you deals on onaholes weeks later. massive self own

Ah, yes. The Eichenwald Defense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had to do a couple of hours of unpaid work at home, on this most holy of days. gently caress

Going to reward myself with some reheated ‘za and MHW

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hope you did the worst job you could get away with

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

this is my phobia

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Ah, yes. The Eichenwald Defense.
I swear I just wanted to show someone a plastic Bluetooth vagina, why won't anyone believe me???

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

could an onahole be a home, to a homeless snail? :thunk:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Love it when games let you start them up but you can't do anything but stare at the title screen while it finishes installing.

May 8, 2006

Vaguely related but I kind of miss disc swapping in old games - it was kind of exciting as a kid to hit those breakpoints.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played a lot of Amiga games with no hard drive, I don't miss disk swapping

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Disc changes were cool, you could talk about JRPGs in terms of “Disc 1”, “Disc 2”, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Disc changes were cool, you could talk about JRPGs in terms of “Disc 1”, “Disc 2”, etc
tbh it was way better, because most games were designed at least partially around the structural constraints dictated by a disc swap. it's almost a mandatory act break

• Locked thread