Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

H110Hawk posted:

How much total storage for 1 copy of everything? You might be overestimating the cost of using a paid service.

Just ran a backblaze quote and I'm looking at 240ish USD a year for the service. That's a ridiculously good price compared to what I've been seeing but in 2 years of that I've paid for the synology, storage and time spent learning. Am I missing anything obvious here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

H110Hawk posted:

How much total storage for 1 copy of everything? You might be overestimating the cost of using a paid service.

Pretty much this, Backblaze B2B service is remarkably affordable, and being able to just have backups with versioning handy via the magic of ~the cloud~ is pretty nice for a lot of things. 27TB of simulation data and media files, not so much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Just ran a backblaze quote and I'm looking at 240ish USD a year for the service. That's a ridiculously good price compared to what I've been seeing but in 2 years of that I've paid for the synology, storage and time spent learning. Am I missing anything obvious here?

You didn't answer the question.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

These but to remote clients over your lovely residential connection upload.

Or your upload is fine but your remote clients are apparently connecting through DSL-over-tin-cans because even transcoding down to 2Mbps they still buffer once in a while.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I don't see the easystore drives currently on BB's ebay store, but there will be an ebay coupon tomorrow (8/28 from 8am to 10pm PT) in case they put them back up:
https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0828/67245.html
There's also a lot of folks reselling them because I guess they bought them cheaply during previous deals. Those are an option but I doubt you'll get much in the way of returns beyond ebay standard.

I've shucked six easystores and added them to the 1817+. It took a few days for everything to process but now I'm up and running with 30+ TB of storage and am in the process of copying everything over from my old storage units. Pretty impressed with the Synology and how simple it was to setup as was previously suggested. Coming from dead simple Drobos I was concerned it was going to be a bunch of hassle but everything has made sense and it walks you through everything very simply.

These easystores really made the project one of those rare "holy cow this is awesome!" projects that came in WAY under budget. I was expecting to have to buy 6TB drives and then over time replace them with 8TBs one at a time. But these things are so cheap that I could go 8TB to start with. I've had to go to four Best Buys to pick them up since each store only seems to have two at a time, but it's been well worth the extra driving in order to get this all put together as quickly as possible. I just need to grab two more when they come back in stock and I'll be set for a very long time.

Thanks for the info on these, getting this much storage up and running as affordably as it turned out to be is going to be a real quality of life improvement as weird as it sounds.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Thanks for the info on these, getting this much storage up and running as affordably as it turned out to be is going to be a real quality of life improvement as weird as it sounds.

I was quite surprised when I got my QNAP box at the start of the year. I have to agree it is a real quality of life improvement having my data available in so many different ways, along with all the apps and tools that come with it. A lot more functionality that my previous storage servers.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

H110Hawk posted:

You didn't answer the question.

Neither did you.

If you're looking for a weak thread to pull on, I'd like to direct you to the plan I posted already. I laid out my goals there and unfortunately a cloud service is not something that will happen.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If I'm understanding your proposed configuration correctly you would have a synology in the office, an off site backup drive(s) that is brought in just for the backup then removed, and an online backup service.

Having 3 copies of data with one being remote is a good process. Having a separate copy not in the same building that could be retrieved quickly in the event of failure is also good as that can minimise office downtime. Although for my office we have two copies in the office on independent computers so if one fails we can switch over to the other copy quickly.

If you are saving large files that would clog up your internet connection if they were replicated in real time then just have a scheduled backup task run when the office is closed.

It's kind of difficult to comment without knowing what you would like to achieve.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's a good/the recommended processor/mobo combo with the most SATA ports available? Nothing heavy duty, but I'm finally going to migrate to unRAID and ditch Xpenology. I have 4x4TB's brand new, never opened and my old 5x1TB from the Xpen box.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure if I would choose a motherboard solely on the basis of native SATA ports, since there are cheap used 12+ port SAS controllers out there. If you really want a lot of drives you can get one of those and go right on up as long as you have a spare x8 or x16 slot for it.

To use an accessible example, the X8SIL I mentioned in my last post as a low-cost but full-featured used mobo has 6 native ports (and they're only SATA2). However, with three x8 slots I'm sure that I will run out of drive bays in any case I would care to use before I have issues with being able to add ports to it.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

eightysixed posted:

What's a good/the recommended processor/mobo combo with the most SATA ports available? Nothing heavy duty, but I'm finally going to migrate to unRAID and ditch Xpenology. I have 4x4TB's brand new, never opened and my old 5x1TB from the Xpen box.

Well really how many sata ports do you ideally want? The pickings get slim the higher the number you go. The most common number of ports is 6. I looked st 10 port boards and there wasn't really anything that was all gamered out or cost over $500. As far as a processor goes, an i3 will be adequate for your needs unless you plan on doing a lot of virtual machines or containers. What I would probably do is go for an 8th gen i3 as it has four physical cores and a decently priced 6 to 8 port board.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813144162 - $68 MSI motherboard with 6 SATA ports and a 16X PCIE port if you want to drop in a SAS controller to add more drives. Supports 8th gen processors.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117822&cm_re=core_i3-_-19-117-822-_-Product -- 4c/4t Core i3 8100 CPU (300 series, compatible with motherboard)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148983 - 8GB DDR4 RAM
-or-
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820148985 - 16GB DDR4 RAM

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, 6 should suit my needs for quite awhile. I might go ahead and pull the trigger on that mobo and i3 today. What do you/the thread think for a case and PSU?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

eightysixed posted:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, 6 should suit my needs for quite awhile. I might go ahead and pull the trigger on that mobo and i3 today. What do you/the thread think for a case and PSU?

Case I have looked at for NAS stuff is the Fractal Designs 804: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811352047?Keyword=Fractal%20design%20804

And power supply I like the EVGA Supernova G3s not sure what power would be required for that setup, probably whatever the lowest it comes in. Great PSUs, 10 year warranty and eco mode where the fan only turns on when required.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's hard to beat the Node 804's ten 3.5" bays at the same cost or size, let alone both. I'm using an old full tower case that I don't want to throw away or use anywhere else, but I bought a microATX board for it partly so I'd have the option to use an 804 if I ever want to add more drives than would fit right now.

As far as the PSU goes keep in mind that your processor will be essentially idling doing NAS work. Even with nine drives, if you have a recent i3 then you won't ever go much above 150W and will probably be closer to 100 most of the time so if you're going to spend for anything, spend for efficiency. I use a 400W Seasonic Platinum-rated fanless model and if I wanted to pick out something cheaper would probably just go for a similar-capacity 80+ plain or bronze model.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Eletriarnation posted:

It's hard to beat the Node 804's ten 3.5" bays at the same cost or size, let alone both. I'm using an old full tower case that I don't want to throw away or use anywhere else, but I bought a microATX board for it partly so I'd have the option to use an 804 if I ever want to add more drives than would fit right now.

As far as the PSU goes keep in mind that your processor will be essentially idling doing NAS work. Even with nine drives, if you have a recent i3 then you won't ever go much above 150W and will probably be closer to 100 most of the time so if you're going to spend for anything, spend for efficiency. I use a 400W Seasonic Platinum-rated fanless model and if I wanted to pick out something cheaper would probably just go for a similar-capacity 80+ plain or bronze model.

As someone using an 804 for their primary pc right now I find the more cubish shape really annoying compared to something more narrow. It takes up a greater footprint under my desk so I'd rather have a full tower

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That and in no way is it easy to swap drives. Uglay.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
This looks like the thread for personal backups... Crashplan for Home's dying sooner than later, I need an online backup that can back up multiple computers with unlimited versioning. I'm mostly just wondering if there's something I'm missing that'd make me not want to continue onto Crashplan for Small Business?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

sockpuppetclock posted:

This looks like the thread for personal backups... Crashplan for Home's dying sooner than later, I need an online backup that can back up multiple computers with unlimited versioning. I'm mostly just wondering if there's something I'm missing that'd make me not want to continue onto Crashplan for Small Business?

Duplicacy and BackBlaze B2 are what I use. Encrypted locally, versioning rules, unlimited clients to your B2 bucket. I have about 1TB of my most important stuff (no movies/TV) in my B2 and my last monthly bill was under three bucks.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Tigerdirect has shuckable 8TB Seagate externals back at $150. Mine were Barracuda Compute drives inside, ST8000DM004.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

insularis posted:

Duplicacy and BackBlaze B2 are what I use. Encrypted locally, versioning rules, unlimited clients to your B2 bucket. I have about 1TB of my most important stuff (no movies/TV) in my B2 and my last monthly bill was under three bucks.

Duplicacy and google drive business pro here. Just finished 22TB initial seed.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Assuming I want to avoid catastrophic failure but am ok with losing some number of individual files, please tell me on a scale of 1-10 how dumb a 3 disk raidz1 with 8TB disks is. Most of my bulk data is large files that are replaceable and I will back up my important stuff like photos and documents.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

adorai posted:

Assuming I want to avoid catastrophic failure but am ok with losing some number of individual files, please tell me on a scale of 1-10 how dumb a 3 disk raidz1 with 8TB disks is. Most of my bulk data is large files that are replaceable and I will back up my important stuff like photos and documents.

Not very dumb and if you're backing up externally you might as well just run a simple pool and have 50% more storage in your array.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've found a deal on a 6 bay NAS box that I could also use to replace my VM server as well. I'm trying to resist buying it for fear of becoming a digital hoarder.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not very dumb and if you're backing up externally you might as well just run a simple pool and have 50% more storage in your array.
Well I care more than that. Mostly I was just looking for reassurance that if I had one drive die and then had bad sectors on another, that I would only lose select files.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

Well I care more than that. Mostly I was just looking for reassurance that if I had one drive die and then had bad sectors on another, that I would only lose select files.

If one drive goes the procedure is to shutdown the storage until you can put replacements in. Once one fails it's probably not long until another fails so it's more about how rapidly you take action.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've had two WD reds in a ZFS mirror for quite a while now. I do a monthly scrub and a monthly SMART test of each drive via cron.

The drives have done 13,000 hours and 18,500 hours runtime.

Would it be a good idea to buy a spare, deactivate the pool and rebuild it with the new drive in. Run the new drive for a few months so that "I know that it's good" and then put the new drive aside for when a failure occurs.

Or is this just adding extra stress to current drives and a silly idea?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

apropos man posted:

I've had two WD reds in a ZFS mirror for quite a while now. I do a monthly scrub and a monthly SMART test of each drive via cron.

The drives have done 13,000 hours and 18,500 hours runtime.

Would it be a good idea to buy a spare, deactivate the pool and rebuild it with the new drive in. Run the new drive for a few months so that "I know that it's good" and then put the new drive aside for when a failure occurs.

Or is this just adding extra stress to current drives and a silly idea?

Why not save yourself the hassle and just add the new drive as a hot spare? When one of the existing drives fails, it takes over, you detach the dead one from your pool at your leisure, and that's that. If you go with larger drives as hot spares, when a matching pair gets replaced over time, you can autoexpand the pool and gain space.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Because it might be another couple of years spinning aimlessly before it's needed? I assume that 2 years of unmounted spinning degrades the motor a bit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

apropos man posted:

Because it might be another couple of years spinning aimlessly before it's needed? I assume that 2 years of unmounted spinning degrades the motor a bit.

You're talking in circles here. Either you want the added redundancy and risk spreading of a new disk or you don't. Disks degrade on shelves almost as quickly as idly spinning. 18k hours is 2 years on a 3 or 5 year lifespan. If you get a new disk , I would just added it as a third mirror replica, but I wouldn't do it until year 3. What's the manufacture date on your existing disks?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what? Disks degrade on shelves just sitting there?! Since when? I've got a MFM disk from 1981 that still boots. Granted the bits are probably fairly large on a MFM disk.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I mean ya they degrade even unplugged but I'm calling bullshit a shelf disk will degrade at the same rate as a powered idle disk.

Or maybe I'm wrong :iiam:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just make sure your poo poo is backed up and stop worrying. Hard drives are witchcraft.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Just make sure your poo poo is backed up and stop worrying. Hard drives are witchcraft.

This is the real sentiment. Either you want something or you don't. Storage gets cheaper over time, and 2 years assuming light use in a non-dusty environment is fine. (Dusty meaning the air is always moving fine particulates around, not like you didn't dust your bookshelf this year in your house.)

Mr. Crow posted:

I mean ya they degrade even unplugged but I'm calling bullshit a shelf disk will degrade at the same rate as a powered idle disk.

Or maybe I'm wrong :iiam:

It's faster when on, but I wouldn't unbox a 5 year old disk and expect to get 5 more years out of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

This is the real sentiment. Either you want something or you don't. Storage gets cheaper over time, and 2 years assuming light use in a non-dusty environment is fine. (Dusty meaning the air is always moving fine particulates around, not like you didn't dust your bookshelf this year in your house.)

It's faster when on, but I wouldn't unbox a 5 year old disk and expect to get 5 more years out of it.

Very much this. If you're that concerned about data loss, back up the data you care about elsewhere.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I'm finishing up a migration of ~30TB of data from a Windows+DrivePool installation to UnRaid.

19 total spinner disks involved in the migration with ages varying from 1 year to 8.5 years. Average age is about 3. Mix of brands WD, HGST, Hitachi, Toshiba, Seagate. Since I didn't invest in new drives, I've been rewriting and shuffling data over and over again to move individual drives between the OSes. Bonus: I even decided to encrypt the UnRaid array after moving ~6TB of data over, so had an extra shuffle for that.

So far a ~7 year old 1.5TB Seagate refub drive (my last survivor out of 5 and also the last Seagate batch I purchased) has finally started throwing reallocated sectors. That's it.

I'd say make sure your backups are shored up, and stop sweating it. :)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Interesting points about HDD lifespan. I think I'll leave it until I get my first SMART error. Could be a while yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fancy_Lad posted:

I'm finishing up a migration of ~30TB of data from a Windows+DrivePool installation to UnRaid.

19 total spinner disks involved in the migration with ages varying from 1 year to 8.5 years. Average age is about 3. Mix of brands WD, HGST, Hitachi, Toshiba, Seagate. Since I didn't invest in new drives, I've been rewriting and shuffling data over and over again to move individual drives between the OSes. Bonus: I even decided to encrypt the UnRaid array after moving ~6TB of data over, so had an extra shuffle for that.

So far a ~7 year old 1.5TB Seagate refub drive (my last survivor out of 5 and also the last Seagate batch I purchased) has finally started throwing reallocated sectors. That's it.

I'd say make sure your backups are shored up, and stop sweating it. :)

I'm curious. What did you gain by moving to Unraid in terms of space? Also, does it do snapshots?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone have recommendations for 8 bay with hotswap, mini-itx cases? I got a hold of a Supermicro X10SDV-F by way of a goon coworker that I'm looking to transfer my Unraid setup to from my Lenovo TS440 as the HDD expansion kit is stupid rare to find and no one is selling theirs without asking for an arm and a leg.

I know the Node cases get recommended a lot, but I'd really like to keep hot swap if possible. I've come across some cases from Norco, U-NAS and Silverstone (hear this one has heat issues) and I'm courting some recommendations if others have those cases

Edit: Oh, and just in case someone asks, drives will be connected to a LSI card that I currently use and yes, I know I need to buy DDR4 RAM. :retrogames:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2018

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

redeyes posted:

I'm curious. What did you gain by moving to Unraid in terms of space? Also, does it do snapshots?

My case is kinda complicated, as I'm going from an ESXi setup with passthrough HBAs to the Windows VM and an Xpenology VM (was evaluating this at one point) and all sorts of inefficiencies plus adding/removing drives into the mix to get it done... I also used both 2x duplication and no duplication depending on the folder contents in DrivePool.

In a normal situation the math is pretty easy: A 2x duplication eats up 2x the space for each file. UnRaid with dual parity consumes your largest 2 drives for parity in the array.

I should end up gaining ballpark of 16TB usable after the migration on 66TB raw plus the ability to parity all data if I desire, but I"m most excited to be getting out of the computer janitor hell that the previous setup was.

As for the snapshots, I'm not aware of that with UnRaid... I'm still learning a *whole* lot very fast on it. I'm really digging the docker methodology for apps. Been an adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone have recommendations for 8 bay with hotswap, mini-itx cases? I got a hold of a Supermicro X10SDV-F by way of a goon coworker that I'm looking to transfer my Unraid setup to from my Lenovo TS440 as the HDD expansion kit is stupid rare to find and no one is selling theirs without asking for an arm and a leg.

Just wanted to say that board is awesome. I myself used a Node mATX and had some ridiculous cavern when I was done. Am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.