Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WerrWaaa posted:

Oh James 5:1-5 is already in there don't you worry.

my man :catholic::hf::black101:

E: page tax comes to exactly two chow chows loafing on hardwood, recently spotted in a Copenhagen apartment:

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
chows are my favorite breed of dog

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

chows are my favorite breed of dog

Mine are Newfoundlands.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tias, i will love you forever if you say these are your chows

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I know it’s Monday, and the homily was yesterday, but I feel bad for forgetting Brother Lawrence and The Practice of the Presence of God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

JcDent posted:

The last mass I listened on the internet radio had a nice choir, which was nice. The local church (a thoroughly meh modernist piece which my gf described as "a warehouse with an altar in it") choir sounds like half of them members are there for their own funeral and with the internet radio going to a different church every time it's very much a crap shoot on the quality of homily and the singing that you'll get.

Running Priest of Eothas in Pillars I.

You get to ask the first NPC companion you find what Eothas is :rolleyes:

But the more you know God, the more you want to ask others who they think God is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

tias, i will love you forever if you say these are your chows

You already do :wink:

But no, an acquaintance is taken care of them for the holies.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

You already do :wink:

But no, an acquaintance is taken care of them for the holies.

fluff :shittydog: :shittydog:

Tias
May 25, 2008

excuse you, I seem to have some fur in my ears

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Epicurius posted:

About, I don't know, 15 years ago? Even earlier? Somebody, i think an actual Lutheran pastor, wrote a text adventure where you played a Lutheran pastor. You got to do things like try to figure out a hospital's corridors so you could visit a sick parishoner, pick up your wife's dry cleaning, chair a meeting of the parish council, review fliers the youth group made to promote their event, try to find some candles you could swear were in the storage room, write your sermon, lose the game because you decided instead of writing the sermon you'd play just one game of Tetris.

It might not be the most exciting game, I remember when I was playing it, I felt horribly busy and stressed for time as I'd try and inevitably fail to get everything done in the day I tried to do.

this sounds amazing. do you remember the name or where you came across it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this sounds amazing. do you remember the name or where you came across it?

It's called Pastoral Pitfalls, and you can actually play it here:

https://archive.org/details/agt_pp20

You can also find it in the Interactive Fiction Archives, but it's like 20 years old, so you'd have to run an emulator to get it to run.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Please pray for me, I am starting a prayer "retreat" that'll last a little over a month. I have been in a really bad place: missing way too many Masses and pretending it's OK because of my anxiety, not praying, and my swings and sleep issues (which no one can even figure out even after having them for literally 20 years and doing 3 extensive sleep studies) are just hard to deal with. I am blessed that I was given a good foundation in ministry, therapy, and personality that I haven't been too much of an emotional burden to my friends and family, and I don't make it a habit of lashing out at people. (Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.) Anyway, if you could offer up some prayers for Thirteen Orphans I would really appreciate it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
This is St. John's Episcopal Cathedral Los Angeles and I think it is very pretty and it's my cathedral so I'm biased. I did not take these photos.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Please pray for me, I am starting a prayer "retreat" that'll last a little over a month. I have been in a really bad place: missing way too many Masses and pretending it's OK because of my anxiety, not praying, and my swings and sleep issues (which no one can even figure out even after having them for literally 20 years and doing 3 extensive sleep studies) are just hard to deal with. I am blessed that I was given a good foundation in ministry, therapy, and personality that I haven't been too much of an emotional burden to my friends and family, and I don't make it a habit of lashing out at people. (Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.) Anyway, if you could offer up some prayers for Thirteen Orphans I would really appreciate it.

I dont reply to every prayer post but I do pray for every one if them, yours included.

Please pray that God will give me strength to endure. On top of my own health problems my wife is hospitalized with a blood clot in her lung. Being a solo parent while sick is no fun.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

We have a sympathetic link, it seems. I too have "incurable" sleep issues and mood swings, though I suspect it will fix itself one day. Prayers incoming, fam

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I hope you have a lovely retreat, the kind that doesn't end even after it ends. Here's a joke that's been posted before, but still makes me smile:

quote:

Two nuns were driving down a country road when a vampire blocked their path. The driver said, "Quick, Sister! Show him your cross!"

The other nun leaned out the window and yelled, "Get out the loving way!"

Please do likewise, but with the badness that has been in your way, and with perhaps more or less color.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
once again 17th century = best century

https://journal.orthodoxwestblogs.com/2018/03/01/orthodox-and-catholics-in-the-seventeenth-century-schism-or-intercommunion/

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

(Lutha Mahtin, I did lash out at you and I deeply regret it and am very sorry.)

i don't remember this and i feel no need to re tread it but have peace, my friend. i hope you improve yourself and get even better than you are now

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

love to drink bad water and poo poo myself to death

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

but enough about my posting

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Incidentally, here's an article about 12 Catholic women who converted to Orthodoxy being re-baptised by a Church of Cyprus bishop with a bishop from the Jerusalem Patriarchate present.

http://basilica.ro/douasprezece-filipineze-s-au-convertit-la-ortodoxie-in-cipru/

It's in Romanian (can't find anything about it in English, understandably, and I don't speak Greek) so here's a google translate link:
https://translate.google.by/transla...t-text=&act=url

\/\/\/ Ha-ha, I'm stupid.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 7, 2018

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

There's a UK flag in the corner you can use to switch to English: http://basilica.ro/en/twelve-philippine-women-baptized-in-cyprus/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Senju Kannon posted:

love to drink bad water and poo poo myself to death

Learn to beer, noob

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Superb.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That's just the whore of Babylon, though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paladinus posted:

That's just the whore of Babylon, though.

ahem,

excuse me I believe you'll find that the Whore of Babylon is THE POPE IN ROME

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in which a redditor is terrified his inlaws might be normal

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/9e6943/worried_that_i_married_into_a_family_of/

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what is the word for those kinds of people

a lot of people on the internet use "traditionalist" for those types, but that's incorrect since they're presumably not anti-vatican ii. i use "campus ministry types" but even that seems a bit off. what do you call someone who is scared to come into contact with someone who might, gasp, have a different opinion than them about the church?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

what is the word for those kinds of people

a lot of people on the internet use "traditionalist" for those types, but that's incorrect since they're presumably not anti-vatican ii. i use "campus ministry types" but even that seems a bit off. what do you call someone who is scared to come into contact with someone who might, gasp, have a different opinion than them about the church?

no idea. i mean i call myself a traditionalist since i wish nothing changed after about 600 ad, but these people are different.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i genuinely think if there was a council that said "abortion is okay and gay marriage is fine" these people would 100% flip, their only ideology is "the church says it's true and it's true because the church said it" which is... sad

these people have no ideology, they just parrot blind faith for the sake of it, and is that really BELIEVING in something?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I wish I had his problems, wow.

Senju Kannon posted:

i genuinely think if there was a council that said "abortion is okay and gay marriage is fine" these people would 100% flip, their only ideology is "the church says it's true and it's true because the church said it" which is... sad

these people have no ideology, they just parrot blind faith for the sake of it, and is that really BELIEVING in something?

Well, I would imagine they believe in Christ, and that the Church is his mystical body, and the Pope is his vicar, etc., etc., which is the core of their ideology, and flipping is a crucial part of it as a result. And it's good for everyone, too. American Catholics until very recently were pretty pro-capital punishment, even though European Catholics with the same Catechism for a long time before the change were anti-death penalty. I haven't heard about any mass conversions or parishes leaving for SSPX in America, so I can only conclude that's how the majority of people are re flipping. It might take some time for them to actualise what millions of Catholics outside of America believed for decades, but them's the brakes, as they say.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 9, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i am on r/orthodoxchristianity and there are a LOT of people who come in there asking for "the orthodox view" of something and when they're told "it depends" they flip out. like, poo poo changes with context so you have to think about what you do, what a shock. but they want one single answer and they're terrified without one

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And then you get the people who want to talk about Teh JewsZionists and white genocide then respond to pushback with "What even is racism, man?"

EDIT: r/Catholicism seems like it could really use some version of Godwinopoulos's Law (first person to impugn someone's orthodoxy/tell them to go to confession loses and gets the post deleted).

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 9, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keromaru5 posted:

And then you get the people who want to talk about Teh JewsZionists and white genocide then respond to pushback with "What even is racism, man?"

EDIT: r/Catholicism seems like it could really use some version of Godwinopoulos's Law (first person to impugn someone's orthodoxy/tell them to go to confession loses and gets the post deleted).
r/orthodoxchristianity is solid but r/catholicism is a cesspit and r/traditionalcatholics would be a cesspit if it weren't like, two guys. (who are terrified of steak sauce.) solid mod team in r/orthodoxchristianity, much respect

edit: this guy understands the internet

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 9, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I only read /r/openchristian which occasionally attracts various types of strange posts. The ones I really don't get are the people that show up convinced they're evil and cannot change. They always seem really calm and resigned about it and then they disappear after making a few posts.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

At least the A-1 sauce is interested in other foods. If anything, the really pernicious sauces are the packets at Taco Bell. Those have creeped me out for ages.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I was fairly active on christian subreddits for a couple years around 5 years ago, but I can't stand what they've become.

I'm pretty liberal in my theology, but had amazing discussions with very knowledgeable folks from every religious background there. There were priests, m.divs of numerous denominations, hardcore atheists, whoever. But now previously civil arguments devolve into pretty name calling. Anything touching politics is overrun with absolute shitposts. I don't see regular posters who know what they're talking about, or care to do anything more than past their opinion and leave.

I guess when r/atheism was a main sub, and it was assumed reddit was majority atheists, the few christians stuck together. Now the site is casting a wider net, and it's constantly overrun, and driven out what made me enjoy it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

lol he is very concerned about his family members not being 100% strictly pro-life and anti-LGBT rights and some of them voted for pro-choice politicians

and then,

quote:

Also not to mention there is a sister who supports Bernie ( but to her credit is more pro life in terms of actions, having personally convinced friends not to abort or contracept or stay chaste to marriage. I can’t say I’ve done much for the pro life cause).

She's done more for the pro-life cause than me, but she supports Bernie.

Seems like that poster is far more concerned about everyone in his family loudly proclaiming their pro-lifeness and only voting for pro-life politicians than actually taking any actions to advocate for his beliefs.

"I'm worried I married into a family that doesn't virtue signal enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

i am on r/orthodoxchristianity and there are a LOT of people who come in there asking for "the orthodox view" of something and when they're told "it depends" they flip out. like, poo poo changes with context so you have to think about what you do, what a shock. but they want one single answer and they're terrified without one

To be honest, I think a non-trivial number of people do gravitate towards religion because they simply want to be told what the right answer is. Spiritual counsel is one of religion's first and foremost functions, and being simply told what to do is often easier than the alternative.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_paxwk7agv71w5pr9j.mp4