Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played this game in a long time and I love Brigitte. How do I git gud with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's not much to learn really. get the stun combo down so you can oneshot tracers

I think it's shield bash->swing->whip shot?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like people are beginning to have had enough of Brigitte's poo poo

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That's fine, the rest of us have had enough of dive comps and Tracer's unchecked primacy. #leaveBrigalone

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they already nerfed her a bunch because people immediately said she was too strong

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Tracer mains :tinfoil:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

if they buffed/nerfed things to the point where tracer was unplayable i would be so happy

gently caress tracer

(i say, like they'll ever let tracer be anything other than top tier)

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't played this game in a long time and I love Brigitte. How do I git gud with her.

I'm not a master or anything, but I mained her last season.

Before an all out brawl:
hang back a bit behind the tanks generally, and focus on healing. I generally have 12000+ healing per comp match as much as any other healer. Be in a position to peal for other support and immobile DPS. Her overheal armor pack is really overpowered on your flankers and pharahs. Whip shot from a safe position only. It exposes you for long enough to get picked, but it is nice to keep your team topped off. Don't worry about getting into brawls because its gonna happen naturally. I've had games where all I did was heal from the backline because we were dominating them so bad.

In general:
Your shield does amazing things. Blocks most ults, Lets you move into position, lets you walk up to an ulting hog without getting knocked back. When it is down, you are very easy to headshot and kill, so stay behind cover for the 2 seconds it takes to recharge.

Once the brawl begins:
The stun/whip combo is your friend. Most of your thought process during a brawl should be around assassinating the healers with a combo or just watching them die inside as you swing your flail in their face. I am usually trying to use my sheild to penetrate straight for the healers while ulting. It makes me feel like gandalf in the second LOTR, but it completely ruins the other team. They have to peal and turn their back on the front line. Aside from that, I'm either trying to hit multiple people with my M1 or hold my shield up so that enemy DPS wastes precious seconds focusing on me. You can really move people out of position with whip shot too. I like putting reins in awkward corners so they can't back up to their team or making doom fly somewhere that he didn't mean to. Oh yeah and armor pack on cooldown as your reticle is naturally moving across your team. Just tap at the right moment to heal the lowest or most exposed person.

headcase fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 3, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Why does Brigitte need to be able to see in the third person when her shield is up? It's primarily a personal shield, there's no need to look around like Reinhardt and see who's behind you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Why does Brigitte need to be able to see in the third person when her shield is up? It's primarily a personal shield, there's no need to look around like Reinhardt and see who's behind you

You want to be able to check behind you without actually pointing your shield away from the people you're shielding yourself from.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sure, the point of third person is to be able to see behind you. But for Brigitte, does that really matter?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I guess what I'm getting at is that third person view is very powerful and I'm not sure why it "can't" be nerfed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

headcase posted:

I'm not a master or anything, but I mained her last season.

Before an all out brawl:
hang back a bit behind the tanks generally, and focus on healing. I generally have 12000+ healing per comp match as much as any other healer. Be in a position to peal for other support and immobile DPS. Her overheal armor pack is really overpowered on your flankers and pharahs. Whip shot from a safe position only. It exposes you for long enough to get picked, but it is nice to keep your team topped off. Don't worry about getting into brawls because its gonna happen naturally. I've had games where all I did was heal from the backline because we were dominating them so bad.

In general:
Your shield does amazing things. Blocks most ults, Lets you move into position, lets you walk up to an ulting hog without getting knocked back. When it is down, you are very easy to headshot and kill, so stay behind cover for the 2 seconds it takes to recharge.

Once the brawl begins:
The stun/whip combo is your friend. Most of your thought process during a brawl should be around assassinating the healers with a combo or just watching them die inside as you swing your flail in their face. I am usually trying to use my sheild to penetrate straight for the healers while ulting. It makes me feel like gandalf in the second LOTR, but it completely ruins the other team. They have to peal and turn their back on the front line. Aside from that, I'm either trying to hit multiple people with my M1 or hold my shield up so that enemy DPS wastes precious seconds focusing on me. You can really move people out of position with whip shot too. I like putting reins in awkward corners so they can't back up to their team or making doom fly somewhere that he didn't mean to. Oh yeah and armor pack on cooldown as your reticle is naturally moving across your team. Just tap at the right moment to heal the lowest or most exposed person.

Thanks for the advice, I like her kit and can-do attitude!

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I had some interesting placements last night. I ended up against a smurfing GM widow main (I'm high gold/low plat). They were literally soloing the entire team, showing no mercy and we were set to lose when a player on the enemy team DCs. It's suddenly 6v5 and we regroup and win. The next match, I ended up placed against them again. And again, a player on the widow's team DCs. It's funny and sad and stupid. I got dumb matchmaking luck??? I'm not sure if that's lucky. I then may or may have not have told them to gently caress off back to their main.

Seriously though, why smurf unless you can only get hard by carrying? I know some of you guys have DPS Only or whatever accounts but I refuse to give Blizzard more of my money.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

million dollar mack posted:

Do the usual stuff (update drivers, scan and repair game files, etc). How fast do you load into matches?

I repaired game files the other day. I did the driver check just now and my laptop maker had some updates (including graphics drivers) but after install it still does the weird disconnect thing. I know this isn't proper benchmarking but I timed the startup yesterday, from "click launch in battle.net launcher" to "game has frozen, errored out, and given the in-game login prompt", and I timed this again just now, and it was a very similar number, 1 minute 36 seconds yesterday versus 1:38 today; this is despite being on a different network each time.

I load into matches just fine once I let the game do its error dance and log in via the in-game login screen. I was playing yesterday with a friend who has a beefier laptop than mine, and I loaded matches just as fast as they did. I also didn't have any crashes or any other bad performance or weird bugs, it's really just the game refusing to start up for me.

If anyone has any outside the box suggestions feel free to reply. I think I will start up a formal support ticket with Blizzard when I have some time though. My laptop isn't great but it is definitely above minimum specs in all categories so hopefully this is just some obscure bug the game has with my total hardware/software environment.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Had literally my best game of overwatch last night when one of my team left in a placement match.

We'd lost on defense on Anubis already when they dropped out so we worked out a decent comp, all stuck together and pulled off an absolutely insane 5v6 push to capture both points in a row. Then they held us in round 3. We were doing ok holding in round 4 until their dva pulled off a ridiculous bomb and got 3 kills. No chance from there

It felt like being one of the musicians at the end of Titanic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What do people think about the endorsement system? I think it’s a cool idea and most of the matches I’ve played since yesterday have been noticeably chiller than when I was last playing in the midst of Doomfist frenzy. I wish there were a couple more categories though, like “you actually stood on the objective, good job!”

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

In Russia, Hamster feeds you

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

What do people think about the endorsement system? I think it’s a cool idea and most of the matches I’ve played since yesterday have been noticeably chiller than when I was last playing in the midst of Doomfist frenzy. I wish there were a couple more categories though, like “you actually stood on the objective, good job!”

The endorsement system is a good thing, as if LFG. Teams are much more friendly and effective now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Most of my "shot caller" is just that.

Between the last season and this one I can count the shitshow comp games on one hand. From seasons 3-9 I could count the actual genuinely Good Games on one hand.

I don't ask folk to even be nice in-game, but generally speaking people cool their jets and it makes it so much nicer to just play the dang game. And all it took was two years and the most rudimentary form of social system.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah poo poo this isn't the bitching thread.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 4, 2018

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

Most of my "shot caller" is just that.

Between the last season and this one I can count the shitshow comp games on one hand. From seasons 3-9 I could count the actual genuinely Good Games on one hand.

I don't ask folk to even be nice in-game, but generally speaking people cool their jets and it makes it so much nicer to just play the dang game. And all it took was two years and the most rudimentary form of social system.

I totally agree. I got into a group with this one really loud toxic guy that fundamentally misunderstood the game. It stuck out like a sore thumb. He didn't have the awareness to see how awkward it was.
Everyone else just shook their head, carried him, and booted him after the match. Every other game this week has been cool headed teamplay and chill times.

amazing...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

headcase posted:

one really loud toxic guy that fundamentally misunderstood the game

I have to know more, the game is so drat straightforward

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's a first-person shooter, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Idk what to make of the glowing lines on the ground though, I think that's just a graphical glitch.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

We were on gibraltar offense. He slams bastion. Brig, rein, and genji are up ahead of payload swinging hammers and swords and wrecking everyone clearing a path. We had no resistance at all except that bastion kept dying to hanzo back on the cart and cussing out rein for not standing in front of him. He died like 7 times that game while the rest of the team won easily. He never switched off bastion and never stopped complaining about how bad our strategy was. He didn't even have bronze damage.

you tell me: fundamental misunderstanding?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

People really pick Hog and take some damage and then huff gas and take more damage and shoot at people who are getting healed and then die, and then go "UGH WHERE ARE MY loving HEALS *types in chat* TEAM ARE BOTS"

OW is in a good spot now but the game does not signpost what "feeding" is at all, which is why so much of it happens for no reason, imo.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't think overwatch is straightforward at all. It's as nuanced and complex as any video game I've ever played. It is really easy to misunderstand what you are supposed to do at any given moment. I am always amazed at the gross misinterpretations of meta strategies that I hear on comms.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

People really pick Hog and take some damage and then huff gas and take more damage and shoot at people who are getting healed and then die, and then go "UGH WHERE ARE MY loving HEALS *types in chat* TEAM ARE BOTS"

OW is in a good spot now but the game does not signpost what "feeding" is at all, which is why so much of it happens for no reason, imo.

Then the hog and d.va scream about how junkrat needs a nerf to his ult charge.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

headcase posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't think overwatch is straightforward at all. It's as nuanced and complex as any video game I've ever played. It is really easy to misunderstand what you are supposed to do at any given moment. I am always amazed at the gross misinterpretations of meta strategies that I hear on comms.

I agree, and to expand on this, "meta" really doesn't matter below GM. There are team comps like goats, bunker, dive, etc. that everyone cites as the "correct" team comps but they require a level of execution that simply isn't there on the ladder. Meta slavery is such a crippling and unfun way to operate in the game, at least for me.

It's just a way to simplify the game I guess.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I agree, and to expand on this, "meta" really doesn't matter below GM. There are team comps like goats, bunker, dive, etc. that everyone cites as the "correct" team comps but they require a level of execution that simply isn't there on the ladder. Meta slavery is such a crippling and unfun way to operate in the game, at least for me.

It's just a way to simplify the game I guess.

Yes. There are so many possibilities that the only way to gain a team based advantage with 6 random people is to create some baseline to build off of. This baseline has to span across the entire population. That is the point.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i haven't played since back when the character select screen had four archetypes. i keep being pleasantly surprised that people seem to follow the "not enough of this type" more than they used to, even in QP

doesn't mean randos are any better at standing on the point, but this might be because I've mostly been queueing with someone who bought the game less than a week ago (also it's their first FPS ever lol)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

Feeding the enemy ult charge on Hog isn't the worst thing if you're also feeding your own supports their ultimates. But it's definitely bad if you die and also kinda bad if you just mash your vape all the time so that your healers don't get charge because building a Whole Hog fast at the expense of giving the enemy Genji a fast blade or whatever is not a good trade off.

But if there's one thing I learned from playing a lot of tank it's that taking chip damage to feed your healers some ults (and spare your shield in the case of Orisa/Rein) is a good thing if done wisely.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I repaired game files the other day. I did the driver check just now and my laptop maker had some updates (including graphics drivers) but after install it still does the weird disconnect thing. I know this isn't proper benchmarking but I timed the startup yesterday, from "click launch in battle.net launcher" to "game has frozen, errored out, and given the in-game login prompt", and I timed this again just now, and it was a very similar number, 1 minute 36 seconds yesterday versus 1:38 today; this is despite being on a different network each time.

I load into matches just fine once I let the game do its error dance and log in via the in-game login screen. I was playing yesterday with a friend who has a beefier laptop than mine, and I loaded matches just as fast as they did. I also didn't have any crashes or any other bad performance or weird bugs, it's really just the game refusing to start up for me.

If anyone has any outside the box suggestions feel free to reply. I think I will start up a formal support ticket with Blizzard when I have some time though. My laptop isn't great but it is definitely above minimum specs in all categories so hopefully this is just some obscure bug the game has with my total hardware/software environment.

It's a bit late, but are you on wifi? What happens if you plug into the router (i.e. have a physical network connection)?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Holy boats, Brig and Moira and fun as gently caress! I wish I hadn't focused on tanking for so long! I'm never looking back. Playing an attentive healer is a real rush, especially when you armor pack + shield bash in to save the life of a teammate.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

headcase posted:

Yes. There are so many possibilities that the only way to gain a team based advantage with 6 random people is to create some baseline to build off of. This baseline has to span across the entire population. That is the point.

If one team is comprised of three plats playing their mains and three plats flexing to meta picks (which they play at a gold level), and another team is comprised of 6 plats playing their mains, I'm going to bet against the first team every time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

If one team is comprised of three plats playing their mains and three plats flexing to meta picks (which they play at a gold level), and another team is comprised of 6 plats playing their mains, I'm going to bet against the first team every time.

Maybe, but the fact that meta strategies exist give everyone a common platform to discuss how having roadhog in offtank is going to require a different playstyle from everyone and and understanding of what is lacking or what is gained.

It sets a baseline that you can deviate from. A common understanding. Yes people that lose their poo poo because they can't comprehend how to adjust are dumb.

Let's say it's baseball and you manage to land a world class knuckleballer. It's off meta, but it works. Your catcher has to deal with that poo poo, and everyone has to adjust. Not everyone is going to be happy about it.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 5, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The feeding thing is why I actually think man-short wins are fairly common in comp at my level. Since everyone is a feeder that's one less person to fuel the other team's ults.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Evil Agita posted:

This is exactly how I play too. Gotta get my 1 blue item shitboxes but the only arcade I like is MH. Until MH gets frustrating in that way only MH can.

You still get blues????

I get money from Grey and Blue and it appears every time i get gold I get money instead,

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Briggy’s knight skin with the purple trim is so cool. I must have it! But once I do obtain it I’ll probably end up playing her a lot less, just like every other time I finally get an outfit I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

TheresaJayne posted:

You still get blues????

I get money from Grey and Blue and it appears every time i get gold I get money instead,

Same. 35 currency poo poo boxes :/