Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Pretty sure factions can already be renamed. New stuff probably will be too.

The one downside is Let Us Plays where the player renames everything to dumb stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1036591952597270528?s=19

BUT MOTES OF WHAT, WIZ?!?!?!?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My guesses are scrith enablers or nanites.

I mean they're bad guesses but they're mine.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Bremen posted:

Evolution is designed to perpetuate genes, not lifeforms. That instinct humans have not to get themselves killed to help a stranger, that's their genes trying to survive. With ants only the queen has children, so only the queen really has an evolutionary motivated survival instinct. If her (sterile) kids are willing to die to let her have more kids, then the genes continue

Evolution is not designed to perpetuate anything. It is the process of perpetuation.

Also it is not a process that matters to individual lines within handful of generations.

(btw, insect "queens" do not actually direct anything)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gladi posted:

Evolution is not designed to perpetuate anything. It is the process of perpetuation.

Also it is not a process that matters to individual lines within handful of generations.

(btw, insect "queens" do not actually direct anything)
Yup. If your altruism means your family does better and by extension has more offspring survive to reproduce than otherwise, then that might be a loss for you personally but a net win for your family/species. Your own personal genes might not be spreading as fast, but the copies of your genes your family are carrying are spreading faster. Genes that encourage people to help other people means more people, and therefore more copies of those genes, than a constant war of FYGM.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 3, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think the point of calling them Enforcer jobs and not Police jobs is that Enforcer is vague enough that it can suggest a broader spectrum of activities than mere policing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I plan to immediately install a mod that renames 'Enforcers' as 'The Filth' regardless, as part of a broader Glaswegian total conversion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

It says Volatile Motes, so it's tiny fragments of the tiles that used be on the planet. Or tessellating voles, either or.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isndl posted:

It says Volatile Motes, so it's tiny fragments of the tiles that used be on the planet.
This is my internal canon now and nothing will change it.

Also hoping for a planetary anomaly consisting of "weirdly square landscapes".

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

We still call them that in Norn Iron :eng101:

Just confirmed this with the norn misses so this marks the first time I'm sure she isn't just making a word up off the top of her head.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 3, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

Also hoping for a planetary anomaly consisting of "weirdly square landscapes".

"The entire planet has been sectioned into an equilateral grid..."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

I plan to immediately install a mod that renames 'Enforcers' as 'The Filth' regardless, as part of a broader Glaswegian total conversion.

I plan to immediately write a van Vogt mod renaming Enforcers to "Nexialists", but only for Authoritarians.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rhjamiz posted:

"The entire planet has been sectioned into an equilateral grid..."

We many never know exactly why the planet's inhabitants chose to divide their population evenly among the grids, but <SCIENCE_VESSEL_LEADER> believes that continued study of the species' fossilized remains may help us learn to avoid such pitfalls in the future.

<PLANET> gains +3 society research points.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

We many never know exactly why the planet's inhabitants chose to divide their population evenly among the grids, but <SCIENCE_VESSEL_LEADER> believes that continued study of the species' fossilized remains may help us learn to avoid such pitfalls in the future.

<PLANET> gains +3 society research points.

"Prominent mathematicians and slightly brighter children have identified that dividing a sphere into equally sized squares is impossible, but nonetheless, the surface of this world does indeed consist of such. The new non-Euclidean geometries that have arisen from this discovery has caused feverish excitement amongst our research community, as well as some interesting gothic fiction from our more nervous authors.

<PLANET> gains +6 physics research points. +2 amenities."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

"Prominent mathematicians and slightly brighter children have identified that dividing a sphere into equally sized squares is impossible, but nonetheless, the surface of this world does indeed consist of such. The new non-Euclidean geometries that have arisen from this discovery has caused feverish excitement amongst our research community, as well as some interesting gothic fiction from our more nervous authors.

<PLANET> gains +6 physics research points. +2 amenities."
"<SCIENCE_VESSEL_LEADER> remains haunted by her discoveries, reporting a persistent auditory hallucination she can only describe as "that infernal clicking".

<SCIENCE_VESSEL_LEADER> gains Maniacal and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome".

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Does anyone know how much unity you gain per purged pop as a fanatic purifier? I'm playing my first game as such and I'd like to know what the prize is for eliminating these horrible bird people.

Also I guess there probably isn't any way to speed up the purge process? It's like 20 years, which is weird considering I can just ship them all to other planets. There's no event where I can allow an airlock malfunction to 'accidentally' complete an instant purge while they're in transit?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The purging and genociding also seemed to me like they take absurdly long amounts of time, even planet crackers had a huge cooldown on release 2.0.

I haven't gone back since 2.1 or later to try a purging based race but I found it kinda unsatisfying given how long it took. You conquer a planet to deal with 20 years of unrest and an ever increasing diplo penalty, and in the end, you have an empty planet.

As atrocities go, it feels more like the british conquering another colony back during imperialism and machinegunning the locals over time rather than the tyranids just tearing everything to shreds and replacing it with their own stuff.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 3, 2018

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I haven't gone back since 2.1 or later to try a purging based race but I found it kinda unsatisfying given how long it took.

OK, glad it's not just me. I shipped all the bird people off to other planets so I wouldn't have to deal with the tech and unity penalties from having three more inhabited systems under my control, but that just made the lengthy purge process feel even weirder- I was able to move every single one of them across the galaxy, but purging them still takes a generation? Why didn't my horribly racist humans just kill them when they put them on the transfer ship?!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stellaris has this weird thing about "you can't destroy pops easily" which I guess is meant to signify that it's difficult to just exterminate people without the galaxy caring about it. It doesn't really work with the other stuff like the way species reproduce, migration, colonizing off habitability planets, factions, etc.

So the way playing a devouring swarm / tyranids plays out is that you conquer a planet but you very carefully purge 1 at a time because killing faster would be overpowered, and each one gets you a diplo penalty, because what you're doing is wrong, and this repeats for every pop. The planet is worthless during the whole time and factions get unhappy.

Where I think this is interesting is from a scaling perspective. If a planet takes 20 years to purge then you really can only do 10-15 purge cycles per playthrough. It feels like a very big limitation on empires that are meant to genocide or exterminate. I found the same issue with Determined Exterminators. Occupying a planet is an absolute trap, because apparently my murderous machines that generate a -1000 penalty diplo penalty because they're so evil and murderous can't be arsed to murder in <20 years.

Again I'll harp on a recurring theme in Stellaris: pre emptive nerfs on stuff that don't make sense. Why does it take so utterly long to genocide things, planets, anything? Given that the game has a sort of 'effective point at which you stop playing' it ends up acting as the same kind of gating one sees in megastructures like dyson spheres. And again, the pre emptive nerfing of that stuff. And the pre emptive nerfing of gates. You can only build 1 at a time, the enemy gets to use them at war.

Anyway. I think the pre emptive nerfs hit the genocidal races very badly and I don't think they add up to a compelling experience when playing one.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Independence day, a movie set on earth:

Oh wow they're going to exterminate us all at once they wiped out like 80% of the population in a day with an attack from SPACE with GIANT SPACE SHIPS and LASERS :hellyeah:

Independence day, a movie set in stellaris:

Oh wow they're going to exterminate us all, we have roughly 20 years to finish figuring out what to do about it, while they take people out very slowly one at a time :ohdear:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Does anyone know how much unity you gain per purged pop as a fanatic purifier? I'm playing my first game as such and I'd like to know what the prize is for eliminating these horrible bird people.

Also I guess there probably isn't any way to speed up the purge process? It's like 20 years, which is weird considering I can just ship them all to other planets. There's no event where I can allow an airlock malfunction to 'accidentally' complete an instant purge while they're in transit?

Change your purge type to extermination and they'll disappear in 20 months. I'm not sure it's working correctly but it purging should give purifiers 1.5 months worth of Unity production per pop.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 3, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I do in general wish stellaris was a more "deadly" setting where entire planets could be reduced to radiated wasteland with a few months bombardment. It was something the MOO series got right and made it very important to spread your defenses around if you didn't want to lose planets to bombardment. You couldn't just put everyone into a single defensive death-ball then take out the enemy fleets bombing your worlds one at a time, you had to make sure the enemy never had a second of time uncontested around your planets. I think deadlier bombardment (and of course a bunch of other balance changes to go along with that) would have gone a long way to breaking up death-balls of fleets. It's way too easy to just ignore enemies bombarding your planets.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So the way playing a devouring swarm / tyranids plays out is that you conquer a planet but you very carefully purge 1 at a time because killing faster would be overpowered, and each one gets you a diplo penalty, because what you're doing is wrong, and this repeats for every pop. The planet is worthless during the whole time and factions get unhappy.

You're doing it wrong. Resettle them to you home worlds. Put them on the farms. Move your pops out to thier planets. Planet is up and running quickly. You eat them faster spread out. You avoid unrest by only have a few on any planet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is there a mod to keep raiders from spawning right next to me? I have no clustered starts which works for the regular AI but apparently not for them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

BrandorKP posted:

You're doing it wrong. Resettle them to you home worlds. Put them on the farms. Move your pops out to thier planets. Planet is up and running quickly. You eat them faster spread out. You avoid unrest by only have a few on any planet.
That feels very weird, though. The devouring horde takes the entire population of a planet, divides it nicely up across the galaxy, and only then starts eating them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that weird, it's what you do with the rest of your food.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nickiepoo posted:

Just confirmed this with the norn misses so this marks the first time I'm sure she isn't just making a word up off the top of her head.

Ach sure she's only keepin ye goin', ask her if she's ever been that stocious she cowped inty the sheuch.

Anyroad I agree with yousins sayin' you should be able to banjax a planet quare an' quick. If I skite over thonder an' then it takes a decade to kill some buck eejit culchies in the oxters of the galaxy, while my boyos are foundered on some auld hole, I'm left feelin' quare an scunnered. Pure ragin'.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm extremely excited to try out the modding possibilities for the new economy stuff. I really wish they'd make the various alternate starts their own thing rather than a civic slot though.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Independence day, a movie set on earth:

Oh wow they're going to exterminate us all at once they wiped out like 80% of the population in a day with an attack from SPACE with GIANT SPACE SHIPS and LASERS :hellyeah:

Independence day, a movie set in stellaris:

Oh wow they're going to exterminate us all, we have roughly 20 years to finish figuring out what to do about it, while they take people out very slowly one at a time :ohdear:

I think Independence Day is more like a neutron sweep and regular Stellaris purge is something like Oblivion.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I always figured the extermination purge type was akin to what Skynet was doing in the Terminator series, having to slowly around everyone up and kill them. Only it's not always a homicidal AI rounding up and killing everyone.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think this more has to do with the limitations of the Tile System. I've got the impression that the games tries to emulate the grueling logistics of purging millions of beings that actively resist it but at the same time displacing that same pop is just drag and drop from one planet to another

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Strudel Man posted:

That feels very weird, though. The devouring horde takes the entire population of a planet, divides it nicely up across the galaxy, and only then starts eating them.

For what it's worth, resettling pops being processed is free.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I believe the cooldown on planet crackers / neutron sweeps was 5 years at 2.0 release, did that get reduced?

I guess if you can resettle all the pops as soon as you invade a planet that works. It feels weird, I guess it's a valid workaround, I just would like to know why genociding them on that planet is not viable but spreading them all around so that 1-3 pops per planet get purged is way better.

Same question for planet crackers if I can only fire it every X years ... why have that limitation? Just let genocidal races be genocidal, there's 600-1000 stars in many galaxies, limiting things to 20-30 effective planet uses per playthrough when you have to conquer potentially hundreds of systems is very odd.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Is there a short list somewhere of all the new resources and different new planet systems (like housing, jobs, infrastructure, etc) with a solid but condensed description somewhere? I know some of it is not set in stone but want to start working on plans to update my mod. Terribly busy irl so haven't been able to keep up properly with most of the dev blogs (it's also a lot of info) hah.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Kaal posted:

Change your purge type to extermination and they'll disappear in 20 months. I'm not sure it's working correctly but it purging should give purifiers 1.5 months worth of Unity production per pop.

That sounds much more reasonable, thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirTagz posted:

I think Independence Day is more like a neutron sweep and regular Stellaris purge is something like Oblivion.
I also imagine the big difference is that purged pops can flee and go somewhere else, which presumably you do not work hard to stop because your primary goal is getting that land, and it's just that purging the xeno is the easiest way to do it. 'Extermination' is when your goal actually is to kill the alien, as opposed to it being a means to your goal (their lands).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I believe the cooldown on planet crackers / neutron sweeps was 5 years at 2.0 release, did that get reduced?

I guess if you can resettle all the pops as soon as you invade a planet that works. It feels weird, I guess it's a valid workaround, I just would like to know why genociding them on that planet is not viable but spreading them all around so that 1-3 pops per planet get purged is way better.

Same question for planet crackers if I can only fire it every X years ... why have that limitation? Just let genocidal races be genocidal, there's 600-1000 stars in many galaxies, limiting things to 20-30 effective planet uses per playthrough when you have to conquer potentially hundreds of systems is very odd.

No they got pulled way back, it's like 90 days now, I think. You can actually use them in the course of a war.

Never again shall I conquer a FE without the assimilation ray.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Guilliman posted:

Is there a short list somewhere of all the new resources and different new planet systems (like housing, jobs, infrastructure, etc) with a solid but condensed description somewhere? I know some of it is not set in stone but want to start working on plans to update my mod. Terribly busy irl so haven't been able to keep up properly with most of the dev blogs (it's also a lot of info) hah.
Probably not since that's more or less what the blogs are in the first place.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm extremely excited to try out the modding possibilities for the new economy stuff. I really wish they'd make the various alternate starts their own thing rather than a civic slot though.

That'd be pretty neat. Alternate starts and a new group of civics that allow you to modify your start could all be bunched into some sort of "Starting civics". Things like Life Seeded or Syncretic evolution all modify starts, and you could even make new civics to determine your starting location (Inside a nebula, around a black hole) or your starter precursor (First league, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Colossi never had a cooldown, to my knowledge, they just took a full year to actually fire.

Nowadays they take three months to fire.