Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What a wonderful time to start playing this game, all the things I'd heard over the years about the terrible community, maybe I should have listened.

Anyway, I've been learning a few champs but on the support side of things I picked up soraka, she's been fine and fun but the guy I play with gets a little behind and I can't do much to help him catch up.

What are good supports with a little more 'engaging' and damage potential but also pretty easy to play?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

milkman dad posted:

Enough of the derail. If your could enter a hyperbolic time chamber and play 1,000 ranked games before the end of the season, with the caveat that it's a role/champion you haven't played before, what would it be?

I would probably pick up orianna because she seems like she's never weak and I got the dark star skin for free for buying rune pages last year.

jungle

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

milkman dad posted:

Enough of the derail. If your could enter a hyperbolic time chamber and play 1,000 ranked games before the end of the season, with the caveat that it's a role/champion you haven't played before, what would it be?

I would probably pick up orianna because she seems like she's never weak and I got the dark star skin for free for buying rune pages last year.

I'll go with Henkman and say Jungle. I wish I could stop time like that to learn it, but alas I can't.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

It's only two months until preseason when everyone needs to relearn jungle again. Do that or become a nexus blitz jungle main!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mega Comrade posted:

What a wonderful time to start playing this game, all the things I'd heard over the years about the terrible community, maybe I should have listened.

Anyway, I've been learning a few champs but on the support side of things I picked up soraka, she's been fine and fun but the guy I play with gets a little behind and I can't do much to help him catch up.

What are good supports with a little more 'engaging' and damage potential but also pretty easy to play?

Thanks in advance.
Alistar is a great tanky-engage champion, pretty relevant through the years and all you need to learn is how to properly time his Heabutt/Pulverize combos.

Leona is always tanky and a great in-your-face support that puts a lot of pressure on people because she's basically all-in all the time.

Taric has a nice stun and team-wide immunity so he makes a really great teamfighter, but his stuns are much harder to land than the other two since sometimes you have to rely on someone else being in position for you

Braun is a really good ranged/protect the carry engager with good CC and can block incoming skillshots

Nautilus has a TON of CC and a hook if you're into hook champions. Less likely to completely gently caress your team over than Thresh or Blitzcrank, but more likely to fall completely flat and feed if he's behind.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

milkman dad posted:

It's only two months until preseason when everyone needs to relearn jungle again. Do that or become a nexus blitz jungle main!

Yeah but I mean, like you said, 1000 ranked matches. I don't think I'll be playing that amount again of LoL in the remainder of my life (or maybe I will). But I wish sometimes that I had experienced more of the Jungle when I had a full 5s team. I don't regret specializing as a support/mid but the jungle always seemed like this mystical place with a meta and life of its own.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Thanks in advance.

L E O N A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3OtVqumiUs

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

milkman dad posted:

i think over the last few years ive gotten at least 5 ranked games on almost every single champion which makes this question pretty difficult. ive only played draven once or twice in normals though, he seems like he'd be fun to pick up. i think ivern is the only champion ive legit never played, but only because i wasn't playing random jungle stuff when he came out and now he seems pretty forgotten which doesn't really make me want to figure him out.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Dancer posted:

Oh noes, between the gajillion seminars women can't safely and comfortably go to, there's one where men will have to follow digitally the horror

e: I go into the time chamber and come out a thresh main

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 3, 2018

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

:krad:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

yah

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

milkman dad posted:

I've always wanted to learn Diana, but it's a lot of work for a champ that hasn't been very good for the past like 5 years

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

milkman dad posted:

mid, tf, no question

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What a play, goddamn.

I'm glad to see that Leona is great again.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i haven't played in quite a while but i highly recommend braum, he's got a lot of the upside of characters like leona and alistar but doesn't implode quite as hard if you fall behind

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Braum is incredibly good at everything you want a support to do. I was really sad about all the enchanter nerfs but Braum's made league fun again. He also just had a really good skin come out so that's nice if you care about ~fashion~.

The only thing he isn't A+ for is melee divers who won't die in a single CC-chain (like Jax).

strong bird
May 12, 2009

braum isnt nearly as manly as leona

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

strong bird posted:

braum isnt nearly as manly as leona

:hmmyes:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

milkman dad posted:

Diana and play her mid or jungle. I have never played jungle yet.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Your 1000 games are afk jungle farm udyr while you read lolwiki on your second screen

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Enigma89 posted:

Haha, that's a good one

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Tbh as a support main I'd do 1,000 games on Yasuo or Vayne just to get a little insight into how the other half lives. Never going to invest that much time to learn the mechanics, but it would be interesting to try.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

foutre posted:

Tbh as a support main I'd do 1,000 games on Yasuo or Vayne just to get a little insight into how the other half lives. Never going to invest that much time to learn the mechanics, but it would be interesting to try.

Ya

What's an AA reset?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

el dingo posted:

Ya

What's an AA reset?

I do that all the time as Leona thank you very much

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

el dingo posted:

Ya

What's an AA reset?

its when you q directly into a wall to maximize your burst with auto -> smash face into wall -> auto -> e to proc silver bolts

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Smashing my face against the keyboard is how I play this game anyway, I should play more vayne I guess

Dancer
May 23, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

its when you q directly into a wall to maximize your burst with auto -> smash face into wall -> auto -> e to proc silver bolts

excuse me you q directly towards the enemy to make sure it takes them longer to escape your aa range tyvm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

el dingo posted:

Ya

What's an AA reset?

Certain abilities will reset your autoattack timer on activation so that you can attack as soon as you activate the ability. The most common way to use it is to autoattack someone, then use the ability as soon as the autoattack hits, which will cause you to immediately attack again. It can be a big boost to DPS if you have it on a low cooldown (like Jax's W), since you're effectively hitting two autoattacks in the time it would normally take for you to do one.

It should be noted that Leona's Q is special cased due to the original coding being weird: after you AA reset with it, your next autoattack timer is dramatically sped up. If you're quick in lane, you can auto -> Q -> auto wards the enemy support plants in the brush in order to quickly take them out before they go invis.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vermain posted:

It should be noted that Leona's Q is special cased due to the original coding being weird: after you AA reset with it, your next autoattack timer is dramatically sped up. If you're quick in lane, you can auto -> Q -> auto wards the enemy support plants in the brush in order to quickly take them out before they go invis.
You can do this with a few others- Trundle, Shyvana, I forget who else

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Kat could do it with Shunpo, though I'm not sure if that's still the case

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

kingcobweb posted:

You can do this with a few others- Trundle, Shyvana, I forget who else

xin q for sure, and you used to be able to do it with fizzs w

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

You can’t do it with Xin, I don’t believe. Shyvana only because her reset hits twice. Trundle and Leona are the only two I can think of who get the bonus aspeed after their reset.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's not needed anyway; many characters attack fast enough that they can smoothly put an ability between two autos.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think you used to (or still can?) be able to get in an AA with Singed's Fling ability as they're being tossed.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Fiora’s E and Renekton’s W are both also AA resets, and Fiora’s explicitly gives bonus attack speed for the attack after. Titanic Hydra also gives an AA reset to with its active, which is a large part of its power.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Tip for when you're on loss streaks: give yourself credit for stuff you did well, instead of just beating yourself up for being poo poo. I think I played this nicely

http://plays.tv/video/5b8dd3dec1991b10cb/nice-kinda

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

Fiora’s E and Renekton’s W are both also AA resets, and Fiora’s explicitly gives bonus attack speed for the attack after. Titanic Hydra also gives an AA reset to with its active, which is a large part of its power.

Titanic hydra gives a reset, but the auto you get with that reset is super slow. It's still good on tanks because you don't build attack speed anyway, but it's in the vein of "Riven's third Q is an AA reset" rather than Darius or Jax W.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Titanic hydra gives a reset, but the auto you get with that reset is super slow. It's still good on tanks because you don't build attack speed anyway, but it's in the vein of "Riven's third Q is an AA reset" rather than Darius or Jax W.
which is weird because tiamat does not... it just cancels animations, but no abilities have clunky enough animations to really warrant this usage

Crazy Larry posted:

another cool league of legends tip is if you claim your room as a home office you can write off all of the gaming equipment you buy and never pay uncle sam a dime

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ashe's Q is a partial auto reset but not a full one I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

milkman dad posted:

i play literally everything so for this hypothetical i am able to one trick something and i wonder how high i could climb if i just one tricked any of my champs i am actually good at

pog boyfriend posted:

which is weird because tiamat does not... it just cancels animations, but no abilities have clunky enough animations to really warrant this usage

another cool league of legends tip is if you claim your room as a home office you can write off all of the gaming equipment you buy and never pay uncle sam a dime

isnt Renekton W one of them. i mean maybe it isnt but i hate it so much beyond belief that cancelling the animation at least makes me feel better

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 4, 2018