Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JoshTheStampede posted:

Gideon also has the "Artists can't decide whether or not he's black" thing.

Also, has there ever been a lore explanation why Chandra is like the only white person from Kaladesh?

The lore explanation is "dont think about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Isn’t he from Not-Greece? He probably just has a little Not-North-Africa in him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Also, has there ever been a lore explanation why Chandra is like the only white person from Kaladesh?

No depiction of Gideon has ever read as Black to me, but most of his portrayals have definitely been on the far side of "ethnically ambiguous brown person" and they just seem to forget about from time to time when the artist wants to do something that looks like it could be a Identity Europa poster.

Chandra is an obvious case of retconning a character they've sunk too many resources in to discard into their latter day diversity efforts.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 4, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cernunnos posted:

I've never really liked Ravnica basics but this, the Izzet Mountain, and the Golgari Forest are all really cool.

The art on all the Ravnica basics is pretty good but for some reason when you slap it in a frame and put Basic Land - Forest (or whatever) under it my brain has a tendency to shut down and says "this is a city :saddowns:"

Like, I like that Selesnya Forest's art, and I like the fancy frame, but I don't like the card. Basically I'm some kinda brokebrain about basic lands.

You're saying you'd prefer full-art basics for every set? Agreed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Liliana was Middle Eastern for a while but now she's white (or got a nose job).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hellsau posted:

You're saying you'd prefer full-art basics for every set? Agreed.

Unstable lands or bust.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JoshTheStampede posted:

I always assumed that sparking made her that way, myself

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jeoh posted:

Unstable lands or bust.

Gross

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Let’s say you want to make a Snapcaster style card in GRV. How bad would you have to make it to have it not be busted in standard?

2U
Flash
ETB give target card in graveyard Kick Start till EOT
2/1

Probably still too good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tainen posted:

Let’s say you want to make a Snapcaster style card in GRV. How bad would you have to make it to have it not be busted in standard?

2U
Flash
2/1

Probably still too good.

2UU probably.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It'd probably be safer to just reprint Snapcaster, and the only reason I'd really hesitate (that already exists) is Settle the Wreckage. The bigger concern would be giving non-rotating formats a SECOND Snapcaster Mage.

If you're really going to do a nerfed version, I'd probably start by just wrecking the body and making it multicolor so that you're not getting the endless value of a useful body and giving it to every Blue deck ever printed.

UR
Goblin Wizard
Flash
You may give target Instant in your graveyard Kickstart. Exile that card at the end of the turn.
0/2

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Part of the solution might be to make it a monored non-human? Or just don't give it flash.

It's already much worse than Snapcaster since it's a sucky topdeck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Isn’t he from Not-Greece? He probably just has a little Not-North-Africa in him.

He has Mediterranean olive skin shifting depending how much of a tan he has at the time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just noticed, is this set really abbreviated Game Rules Violation?

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
It's GRN which they will make a lot of with shocklands at rare. At least one box of that will come from me. :shepspends:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

2U
Flash
2/1

Probably still too good.

Snapcaster wasn’t even busted in standard so just 1U

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

It'd probably be safer to just reprint Snapcaster, and the only reason I'd really hesitate (that already exists) is Settle the Wreckage. The bigger concern would be giving non-rotating formats a SECOND Snapcaster Mage.

If you're really going to do a nerfed version, I'd probably start by just wrecking the body and making it multicolor so that you're not getting the endless value of a useful body and giving it to every Blue deck ever printed.

UR
Goblin Wizard
Flash
You may give target Instant in your graveyard Kickstart. Exile that card at the end of the turn.
0/2

I think it is far more likely you wind up with some overcosted mythic that gives all your spells Jump Start. Probably a 2UR 3/3 like the new Jhoira.

It’s the type of thing that’s a potential commander in Brawl or whatever but not actually good enough to be heavily played in standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

2U
Flash
2/1

Probably still too good.

This actually seems fine, since using it on a ponder or whatever is awfully lame

Pantsless Hero posted:

It's GRN which they will make a lot of with shocklands at rare. At least one box of that will come from me. :shepspends:

Buy singles, not boxes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Her dad is white. That is the only explanation you will ever get. The actual answer is it wasn’t relevant in 2009 and they didn’t think about it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, Chandra is a Indian-as-hell name, and while I don't THINK Nalaar is a real-world surname it sure sounds like one too. Like, it sounds like the name of someone that'd come from Kaladesh except then you see her and then you have to wonder if the Nalaar's pool boy was Scottish with pale, freckled, red-headed Chandra born to the very Indian Pia and at least dark-haired and tanned Kiran.

But yeah, the real reason is that she's not-Jaya first, and a representative of a plane that was probably a speck in WotC's eye maybe fifth and somewhere between making Chandra and making the rest of Kaladesh she kinda became one of the faces of the game.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr. Locke posted:

The bigger concern would be giving non-rotating formats a SECOND Snapcaster Mage.

8 Snap

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know why you guys are speculating how they would "fix" snapcaster mage since they already did it and its called Torrential Gearhulk

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

8 Snap 8 Bolt hell yeah, I'm totally in for that deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chandra is an Indian as hell name but it's also a super male name so it still makes me think wotc decided on her origin after the fact

And yes, of course it's fantasy so they can do whatever, but it would still have surprised me if they had made Gideon female or something

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't believe you guy think they'd make fixed Snapcaster mono-blue. Fixed SnapJump-startcaster would obviously be mono-Red.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I mean I would bet a small amount of money that there's an Izzet wizard who gives stuff in your graveyard jumpstart.

The question is whether he A) Has Flash and B) is costed usefully.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
UR 2/2 flash goblin jumpstart til eot. Done

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

UR 2/2 flash goblin-pilot-wizard jumpstart til eot. Done

ftfy

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the best place to play Modern in Toronto? I'm visiting next week.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

What's the best place to play Modern in Toronto? I'm visiting next week.

Depends on competition level really. 401 games is easy to get to via Subway and plays on Monday and I think Saturday.

Face-to-face does weekend events I think and is the most competitive. It's pretty easy by Subway but at the end of one of the lines.

Three kingdoms is pretty casual overall and plays on Wednesday. Small crowd though

And hairy tarantula has a fairly competitive FNM modern crowd

Personally I like 401 and 3 kingdoms, but you're spoiled for choice honestly

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

Presumably the squirrel planeswalker would have the text, "This card can be your Commander if you refer to its loyalty counters as squirrels"

e: oh wait, "This card can be your Commander if you represent its loyalty counters with squirrels"

i got you fam

https://www.consumercrafts.com/stor...ORoCfKkQAvD_BwE

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Depends on competition level really. 401 games is easy to get to via Subway and plays on Monday and I think Saturday.

Face-to-face does weekend events I think and is the most competitive. It's pretty easy by Subway but at the end of one of the lines.

Three kingdoms is pretty casual overall and plays on Wednesday. Small crowd though

And hairy tarantula has a fairly competitive FNM modern crowd

Personally I like 401 and 3 kingdoms, but you're spoiled for choice honestly

Thanks!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Are the guild lands going to be non-foil only?

I'm really not looking forward to how much those are likely to cost

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Reprint Guild Lands in Frontier Masters 2025.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Lone Goat posted:

Liliana was Middle Eastern for a while but now she's white (or got a nose job).

Listen a nose job for your Sweet 1600 is a tradition.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Archenteron posted:

Listen a nose job for your Sweet 1600 is a tradition.

ahem you mean "surgery for your deviated septum"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey can i safely install and update arena or is it still sometimes accidentally eating hard drives. ive seen the light and understand thats acceptable and possibly even good, but whether or not i mess with it again is contingent on my idiotic desire to not wipe my hard drive.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Just these lands have me so pumped for Guilds of Ravnica!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

rabidsquid posted:

hey can i safely install and update arena or is it still sometimes accidentally eating hard drives. ive seen the light and understand thats acceptable and possibly even good, but whether or not i mess with it again is contingent on my idiotic desire to not wipe my hard drive.

The initial report was that it deleted the parent directory when uninstalling, it won't wipe your drive unless you installed it to c:\MTGA\ or something. Keep the default install path and you should be fine if the issue hasn't been fixed.

Or just never uninstall it :shrug:

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 4, 2018