Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The return of lando in star wars 9 can only lead to increased sexiness. Oh wait billy dee looks like baron harkonnen now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raccooon posted:

I don't remember seeing a Jedi Temple on Jakku am I missing something? When was this shown?

SMG has some fanfic/headcanon idea that Lor San Tekka set up shop in the ruins of Luke's jedi academy/temple. This is not supported by ANY canonical material, but since SMG is "a chatbot designed to post truthfully", he just gets to make up whatever dumb poo poo he wants and idiots lap it up.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'd just like to say: please never leave us again Cnut. We need your posts.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Raccooon posted:

Its also weird how sexless the ST is. Like every character is Mr/Ms. Never Gonna Smash.

There is shirtless Kylo having weird Skype sex with Rey, which, thanks to a dearth of strong characterization, serves as the only possible justification in the film for why she should have a personal investment in redeeming him. This is the progressive new Star Wars, I guess.

But imagine if Kylo and Rey had been brother and sister instead? Then Rey would have an automatic personal investment in the conflict. It would have been a natural continuation of a generational family drama. Instead of wasting a whole bunch of time resolving/subverting semantically empty parental mysteries, the established relationships could have been used as a foundation to explore more substantial conflicts and themes, instead of spending two movies bouncing off the walls in Abrams' claustrophobic mystery box.

Also instead of having Rey Solo lust after a psychopath, she could have spent that time developing her relationship with a black romantic interest so the trilogy could close out with the Skywalker line having become biracial. Then instead of killing off the Skywalker line as some sort of dumb, faux-iconoclastic political statement, we could just make them black going forward, which would be way cooler and more meaningful.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Its also weird how sexless the ST is. Like every character is Mr/Ms. Never Gonna Smash.

It makes it more relatable for some of us.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

There is shirtless Kylo having weird Skype sex with Rey, which, thanks to a dearth of strong characterization, serves as the only possible justification in the film for why she should have a personal investment in redeeming him. This is the progressive new Star Wars, I guess.

But imagine if Kylo and Rey had been brother and sister instead? Then Rey would have an automatic personal investment in the conflict. It would have been a natural continuation of a generational family drama. Instead of wasting a whole bunch of time resolving/subverting semantically empty parental mysteries, the established relationships could have been used as a foundation to explore more substantial conflicts and themes, instead of spending two movies bouncing off the walls in Abrams' claustrophobic mystery box.

Also instead of having Rey Solo lust after a psychopath, she could have spent that time developing her relationship with a black romantic interest so the trilogy could close out with the Skywalker line having become biracial. Then instead of killing off the Skywalker line as some sort of dumb, faux-iconoclastic political statement, we could just make them black going forward, which would be way cooler and more meaningful.

This was always my favorite thing about the ST. It is supposed to have a feminist message and Rey immediately runs after the shirtless Kylo lol.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

After TFA I was like, Disney totally gonna have a black dude smash a white woman and after TLJ I think thats not going to happen. They introduced a different minority love interest for him.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Raccooon posted:

a black dude smash a white woman

You've used this phrase a couple of times i think. Smash isn't a very nice word is it?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bongo Bill posted:

They say "Coruscant" a few times, but not "Coruscant system."

That’s what I thought. It makes sense, then, that “Coruscant”’ is the colloquial/historical name for the megacity built on the first, or prime, planet in the Hosnian system.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You've used this phrase a couple of times i think. Smash isn't a very nice word is it?

Hulk smash puny human

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

jivjov posted:

SMG has some fanfic/headcanon idea that Lor San Tekka set up shop in the ruins of Luke's jedi academy/temple. This is not supported by ANY canonical material, but since SMG is "a chatbot designed to post truthfully", he just gets to make up whatever dumb poo poo he wants and idiots lap it up.

direct quotes r A-Level canon according to the SMG storygroup so not sure why ur trying to force ur headcanon that they're not a truthful chatbot...

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Make sweet sweet love

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's a perfectly cromulent word. For instance:

"i want to smash daisy ridleys tanned boyish body"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
u guys r weirdin me out

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Begun, the smash wars have

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

That’s what I thought. It makes sense, then, that “Coruscant”’ is the colloquial/historical name for the megacity built on the first, or prime, planet in the Hosnian system.

So much of The Force Awakens feels like it was written to avoid constraining its sequels. Ambiguities like what Kylo Ren even did, that flashback, the identity of the planet Hosnian Prime, the relative strategic standings of the Republic and the First Order, the ideology underscoring the conflict - it's everywhere.

This, I feel, is because the buyers of the Star Wars copyright and trademark didn't come into the project with a strong creative vision. They didn't have a story they particularly wanted to tell, so they certainly didn't want to lock themselves into telling that story if there was a chance that audiences didn't take to it. So Hosnian Prime might be Coruscant if it turns out that they've got a chance to sell a story about a decapitated galactic civilization, or it might not be Coruscant if it turns out that the odds are better with selling a story where the new Empire has the same capital as the old one. Gotta keep those options open, y'know?

The trouble is that art is better when it's about something, and being about something requires a commitment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Except it's clearly and explicitly not Coruscant. There's no "might or might not" in there.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

So much of The Force Awakens feels like it was written to avoid constraining its sequels. Ambiguities like what Kylo Ren even did, that flashback, the identity of the planet Hosnian Prime, the relative strategic standings of the Republic and the First Order, the ideology underscoring the conflict - it's everywhere.

This, I feel, is because the buyers of the Star Wars copyright and trademark didn't come into the project with a strong creative vision. They didn't have a story they particularly wanted to tell, so they certainly didn't want to lock themselves into telling that story if there was a chance that audiences didn't take to it. So Hosnian Prime might be Coruscant if it turns out that they've got a chance to sell a story about a decapitated galactic civilization, or it might not be Coruscant if it turns out that the odds are better with selling a story where the new Empire has the same capital as the old one. Gotta keep those options open, y'know?

The trouble is that art is better when it's about something, and being about something requires a commitment.

This post is 100% correct what Disney did with the TFA

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Except it's clearly and explicitly not Coruscant. There's no "might or might not" in there.

The movie doesn't say that it's not Coruscant. It merely doesn't say that it is Coruscant.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah. I think there's also a desire to have a "canonical remake" (like Creed or even Star Trek 09)--the movie technically exists in the same ontology as the other movies, but it's also a remake of A New Hope.

"Well, it worked in 1977..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

The movie doesn't say that it's not Coruscant. It merely doesn't say that it is Coruscant.

It is explicitly identified as the Hosnian system within the film itself, and Hosnian Prime in other, equally canonical, material.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

It is explicitly identified as the Hosnian system within the film itself, and Hosnian Prime in other, equally canonical, material.

If it's not called Hosnian Prime in the film then wouldn't you just assume that the sun was called Hos? The other material wasn't there yet and it's not like Earth is known as Sol.

What's the name of Coruscant's sun?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Was I not sufficiently clear that I was talking about the movie?

The Story Group has clearly made their decision about whether the Hosnian system contains Coruscant (it doesn't). But this was a decision that they made after the release of the movie, which you can tell because all of that "equally canonical" material was published afterward. If they had made the opposite decision, nothing about the movie would need to change.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Was I not sufficiently clear that I was talking about the movie?

The Story Group has clearly made their decision about whether the Hosnian system contains Coruscant (it doesn't). But this was a decision that they made after the release of the movie, which you can tell because all of that "equally canonical" material was published afterward. If they had made the opposite decision, nothing about the movie would need to change.

Except much of that material was published before or concurrently with the film. So it was written and approved well before the film premiered.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the name of Coruscant's sun?

Oddly enough, Coruscant Prime

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bongo Bill posted:

as much as people decry J Jabrams for his wishy washy mystery box and vacant setting up of Snoke and Rey's parents and all that jazz, at least he left the door open for having a new interesting story to tell in the next few movies. Rian Johnson comes along and it turns out Snoke really is just some dude who is a lot like Palpatine, and now he's gone. Rey's parents really aren't anyone, and there's nothing about Rey really left in her place. Finn really is just Some Dude, and Poe is just kind of a dummy. The first order is definitely the empire, and the rebellion is definitely the rebel alliance. It would have been nice to set up something interest in the middle movie, and have it concluded in the third one, instead you can basically (probably, I mean the third one has't come out yet) skip the middle movie and not really miss anything in the overarching story.

TFA was a nice remake of ANH, which is nice, because we all liked ANH because it was a thin space adventure movie with cool sounds and visuals, and some fun characters we like to see.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

That's not a very consistent naming scheme

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

That's not a very consistent naming scheme

Nope. I'm guessing there's not a central authority for these things, and Galactic cartographers just respect whatever the locals call their planets and stars and whatnot.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
^^^ Which is presumably why they changed Tatooine to Jakku when the locals started calling it that.

jivjov posted:

Ha! What garbage. If I was setting a course in star wars, fiddling with the controls whilst eating my Kit-Kuat, I'd probably end up incinerating myself into a star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Except much of that material was published before or concurrently with the film. So it was written and approved well before the film premiered.

Out of curiosity, what material are we talking about here?

And, for that matter, what about the movie would need to change if the opposite decision had been made?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Raccooon posted:

This was always my favorite thing about the ST. It is supposed to have a feminist message and Rey immediately runs after the shirtless Kylo lol.

no the favorite thing about that message is how in the big showdown with snoke, rey does nothing except flail ineffectually, get manhandled and mocked by snoke, and wait there for kylo to save her

i've said this before, but you could replace her with kylo ren's favorite kitten and the scene would play out the same way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

no the favorite thing about that message is how in the big showdown with snoke, rey does nothing except flail ineffectually, get manhandled and mocked by snoke, and wait there for kylo to save her

i've said this before, but you could replace her with kylo ren's favorite kitten and the scene would play out the same way

Yeah I'd watch Star Purrs

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

piratepilates posted:

as much as people decry J Jabrams for his wishy washy mystery box and vacant setting up of Snoke and Rey's parents and all that jazz, at least he left the door open for having a new interesting story to tell in the next few movies. Rian Johnson comes along and it turns out Snoke really is just some dude who is a lot like Palpatine, and now he's gone. Rey's parents really aren't anyone, and there's nothing about Rey really left in her place. Finn really is just Some Dude, and Poe is just kind of a dummy. The first order is definitely the empire, and the rebellion is definitely the rebel alliance. It would have been nice to set up something interest in the middle movie, and have it concluded in the third one, instead you can basically (probably, I mean the third one has't come out yet) skip the middle movie and not really miss anything in the overarching story.

TFA was a nice remake of ANH, which is nice, because we all liked ANH because it was a thin space adventure movie with cool sounds and visuals, and some fun characters we like to see.

Yeah there is no interesting set up into the final movie. If it had ended with Kylo asking for Rey to join him and then cut to credits then you would have something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Out of curiosity, what material are we talking about here?

And, for that matter, what about the movie would need to change if the opposite decision had been made?

That map that was posted shortly before the film's release; the Galactic Atlas, the Visual Dictionary, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

That map that was posted shortly before the film's release; the Galactic Atlas, the Visual Dictionary, etc.

What about the movie would need to change if the opposite decision had been made?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

What about the movie would need to change if the opposite decision had been made?

Well, Poe would say "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Coruscant system." not "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Hosnian system.", and they would have shown Coruscant on screen getting destroyed rather than a completely different planet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Coruscant (the City Planet) is located in the Hosnian system.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Well, Poe would say "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Coruscant system." not "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Hosnian system.", and they would have shown Coruscant on screen getting destroyed rather than a completely different planet.

We've established it's meaningful to say that Coruscant is a planet within the Hosnian system, or a city on one of those planets. After all, if there's no central authority and they just call everything what the locals call it, who's to say that's not the case?

The planet shown on screen looks an awful lot like Coruscant to me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Raccooon posted:

Yeah there is no interesting set up into the final movie. If it had ended with Kylo asking for Rey to join him and then cut to credits then you would have something.

that idea has made so much sense to me that its crazy they didn't do it. I didn't care for this movie, but cutting it there would have solved so many issues I had with the movie that I think I would have liked it. I don't think theres even anything of value that would have been lost to the movie either, if they had just cut right there with no other changes at all

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The planets we know Coruscant is not include Desert Planet, Beach Planet, Island Planet, Ocean Planet, Rain Planet, Underwater Planet, Sinkhole World, Termite Realm, Redwood Revival, Metal Planet 1, Metal Planet 2, Snow Planet, Red Snow Planet, and the Boring Casino...

But it is City Planet, which was destroyed.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Coruscant (the City Planet) is located in the Hosnian system.

No it isn't.

Bongo Bill posted:

The planet shown on screen looks an awful lot like Coruscant to me.

Turn on your monitor. Open your eyes.

But it is City Planet, which was destroyed.

You know that "Single biome" doesn't mean that there's only one planet for each biome...right?