Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm so happy for more always sunny, although that episode felt like it never really got off the ground. Like the whole thing was over before anything really happened.

But glad the gang is back and got some good laughs in there. Also I'm drunk so maybe I missed something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Time passes for us all. :corsair:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

chaosbreather posted:

Everyone looks way older than the last season. I wonder if that’s because they are or whether that’s like, the joke that they accentuated with either makeup or just using less age concealing makeup

The whole impetus behind Fat Mac was to show a member of the gang looking worse as time went on instead of better like most sitcom casts, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they were leaning into their age a little more this season.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I liked it. It definitely felt a bit off/different though, I'm wondering if it will just be that episode or the whole season.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They are all old folks now

I hope this show is still on when they're like in their 60's and I hope they're still doing drugs and being full blown assholes. Frank will of course be dead but they could have like Robot Frank or something or Force Ghost CGI Frank

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The bird looked great this episode.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Zzulu posted:

They are all old folks now

I hope this show is still on when they're like in their 60's and I hope they're still doing drugs and being full blown assholes. Frank will of course be dead but they could have like Robot Frank or something or Force Ghost CGI Frank

I predict they will just cut to older episodes to deliver Frank's lines Radioactive Man style, to the point where they've stolen, cropped down and spliced in every other piece of footage Danny has ever been in

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Oh my god ripped Mac's body is amazing.

I can't stop staring I'm sorry, I'm so jealous.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Just watched the new episode. It was a solid "meh".

paradex
Aug 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

davidspackage posted:

I thought Mindy's character being there without any explanation was kind of funny, especially because she was lifting everyone up. But I agree that Dennis just popping back in the first episode seemed like a waste of something that could've spanned a few episodes. I hope they have the doll around a bit longer too, that's a horrorlarious prop. For a moment, I definitely did think they were going to do a "the gang sees and hears the doll come to life" thing that might last the whole season, and I'm slightly disappointed it isn't that.

Also I think strong Mac turned me gay.

Part of me is wondering if the doll isn't just talking to them still and this isn't some M Night Shyamalan poo poo that gets revealed at the end of the season.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't really get why Mindy Kaling's character was there. She's just instantly there with no explanation.

:thejoke:

Rob McElhenney loves meta-humour that plays with audience expectations, regardless of it having a smaller payoff. That last part is the most important. You were supposed to find Kaling jarring and not right. There's nothing going on past that (for better or worse).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 3, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My favourite meta joke with Kaling's character is that her first scene features her talking to an audience who laughs at her every joke, no matter how tepid -- her character's from a multicam, and she comes features with laugh track. Not funny exactly, but clever.

(Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious enough that the episode was being meta, Cindy's (Mindy's) plan revolves around out competing with the same bar from The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award. She's a meta threat to the gang; she wants to turn It's Always Sunny into a conventional comedy.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought that was a fantastic start to the season, one of the strongest (and darkest) meta-episodes they've done.

The gang's dynamic is completely broken without Dennis, without him crushing everyone's egos and ordering them around Mac is developing self-esteem and questioning why he's even with the gang, Charlie and The Waitress are a settled (if unhappy) couple, they've stopped calling Dee a bird and are working with someone who's coming up with actually clever schemes with goals which makes sense. Naturally, this horrifies them and once the Dennis doll turns up they start projecting all of his negging and their dysfunctional self-defeating impulses onto it to push themselves back into their old ruts rather develop and improve themselves as people. They're entirely codependent and terrified of any change to the point of taking orders from a sex doll to fill the Dennis-shaped hole in all this lives. Dennis naturally feels the same way, no longer having any minions to dominate, and returns to go back to how things used to be. Mindy (representing change and positive development) is cast out so they can do Chardee Macdennis 3

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

multijoe posted:

so they can do Chardee Macdennis 3

I need this so bad. Chardeemacfrankenden, yes puzzles.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
edit: oops wrong thread
I'm super into hot ripped Mac tho

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 4, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't really get why Mindy Kaling's character was there. She's just instantly there with no explanation.

It seems some time has passed between season 12 and 13. And we are just joining in. Like we joined in at the end of her scheme to turn Paddys into a liberal bar and now her new scheme is turning it into a conservative bar.

Also, hope by the end of the season, her life is a complete wreck, like everybody else thats a normal person and tries to interact with the gang.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I liked it :shrug:

Would've been nice to have Cindy for 2-3 episodes and show the gang actually getting better when they're not constantly being belittled.

Same with the waitress and charlie, feel like they could've done more with that before hitting the reset button.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Would've been nice to have Cindy for 2-3 episodes and show the gang actually getting better when they're not constantly being belittled.

Same with the waitress and charlie, feel like they could've done more with that before hitting the reset button.

Agreed, but I still liked it a lot. Not sure what you guys are talking about when you say it's a major tonal shift, or really dark, or whatever. Seemed like typical Always Sunny. Cindy felt a little out of place, but she was supposed to, since she was obviously pushing the Gang out of their typical neuroses while Dennis was out of the picture. I definitely agree that we could have done another episode or two with her and had Dennis return to find that everyone had improved tremendously in his absence (and then of course Dennis gets a minor arc where he drags everyone back down.)

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It seems some time has passed between season 12 and 13. And we are just joining in. Like we joined in at the end of her scheme to turn Paddys into a liberal bar and now her new scheme is turning it into a conservative bar.

Also, hope by the end of the season, her life is a complete wreck, like everybody else thats a normal person and tries to interact with the gang.

Yeah, it's definitely been a few months since Dennis left at the end of the last season. I think Cindy's gone for good, though, if only because Mindy Kaling's a semi-famous name, and I think they'd advertise more that she joined the show.

Reminds me though: I wonder what the lawyer's been up to since the end of that courtroom episode last season. He was doing okay for a while, but he's spiraling down faster than Cricket last we saw.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Frank with the gun really got me.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I had to rewind that part, it's ten seconds of perfect comedy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cindy easily deducing and explaining the utterly insane and terrible thing they did the previous night was really great too. These guys aren't some great mystery, they've very simple (and disgusting) people and she really had their number.

"Dee, you just stood and watched, because at this point you're just numb to this type of thing."

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I thought it was going to be, "Dee, you nosed your way in, as usual.", but the "numb to this sort of thing" line works well too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

Cindy easily deducing and explaining the utterly insane and terrible thing they did the previous night was really great too. These guys aren't some great mystery, they've very simple (and disgusting) people and she really had their number.

"Dee, you just stood and watched, because at this point you're just numb to this type of thing."

Honestly I was actually surprised she was right about that, since banging the doll is very in-character for Mac but kind of weird for Frank and Charlie. I think the concept of loving something that looks like Dennis would frankly horrify the latter two too much to do it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly I was actually surprised she was right about that, since banging the doll is very in-character for Mac but kind of weird for Frank and Charlie. I think the concept of loving something that looks like Dennis would frankly horrify the latter two too much to do it.

Not for Frank. He probably hosed New Charlie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Give 'em a few huffs of glue and most everything seems like a reasonable idea to them.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
My least favorite part was probably the waitress and the doll, because it was just so expected that I hoped they'll do something different.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I could totally see Charlie and Waitress becoming one of those toxic couples that are in a constant state of breaking up and then getting back together.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I really hope Donovan McNabb Tiger Woods Don Cheadle Geoffrey Owens can be brought back, in light of all that’s happened with him lately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why is FXX or whatever showing scenes of the plane episode and then saying it premieres tonight? The premiere is the one with Mindy Kaling.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
poo poo, I thought it was coming out Today (Wednesday). Was I just thinking of when I'd be able to watch it on Amazon? Speaking of, what time do they get released on Amazon? I know that it's at least after the episode airs, but...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cojawfee posted:

Why is FXX or whatever showing scenes of the plane episode and then saying it premieres tonight? The premiere is the one with Mindy Kaling.

Or is it?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

I suspect it may be because the FXX people are jabronis but I cannot confirm.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

It'd be funny if the episode they released early was actually like, episode 5 or something.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

It'd be funny if the episode they released early was actually like, episode 5 or something.

I can see FX being terrified of ratings dying if Dennis wasnt back asap and pushing this one out to let people know its okay

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I hope it is episode 5 and we get more Cindy first.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Charlie playing the Dennis doll's rear end in a top hat like a musical instrument, oh my god. I'm so glad this show is back :allears:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
That episode absolutely ruled, thank god Sunny is back.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Maybe it's just because it's been a while since last season, but when did Charlie and the Waitress get together?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Never happened on-screen, but presumably in the interim along with Mac getting shredded and Cindy joining the gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought the episode was pretty funny from start to finish