Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most goons are in their mid to late 30s with a large number in their 40s. This stupid website has been around almost two decades and there were people in their early 30s at the beginning. Goons can definitely be in the age range for prostate cancer.

I guess I should add also that I have an upcoming colonoscopy on the 25th, due to a bout of diverticulitis that happened a few months ago. Also, they found blood in my urine then (though not a significant amount, I was only told that it was blood in urine after the sample; urine looked clear as a bell unlike the diluted tomato juice color now. However I am suffering no symptoms whatsoever, except for the kool-aid piss. I am a 30 year old male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most goons are in their mid to late 30s with a large number in their 40s. This stupid website has been around almost two decades and there were people in their early 30s at the beginning. Goons can definitely be in the age range for prostate cancer.

I guess that's true, and they changed the screening age fro 50 to 40 a little while ago I think.

You're better off bankrupt than dead OP, but I doubt that anyone online can tell you for sure whether or not your specific risk factor is serious enough to be worth the cost. The fact that it's getting bloodier rather than cleaner sounds bad to me though, not that I'm a doctor.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 2, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

At the dentist, before the actual cleaning she poked around in my mouth and read numbers to the assistant. Like 1,1,2. 2,3,2. 3,1,2. Etc. What's she doing?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: blood piss. Even a small amount of blood can dilute urine to make it look much more significant than it actually is. That being said, any amount of visible blood is not good, and you should get it checked out. It’s not an immediately life threatening emergency so if you need to wait for urgent care to open so you don’t go bankrupt that’s probably fine. However, if you develop other symptoms like fever, tiredness, aches, lightheadedness, chills, etc, or if your urine gets so bloody it looks like straight blood, you should be seen right away.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think the numbers identify the teeth

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

At the dentist, before the actual cleaning she poked around in my mouth and read numbers to the assistant. Like 1,1,2. 2,3,2. 3,1,2. Etc. What's she doing?

It's the gap of your gums. 3 points for each tooth, measured in millimeters.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m genuinely concerned that bloodpiss goon isn’t going to go to the doctor for bloodpiss. It’s really upsetting to me that decades of FYGM politics and embarrassed millionaire syndrome have put you in a place where you’re just like, “Hm, pissing blood, bad enough thing?” Rather than immediately getting someone qualified to tell you what’s up with that. :ohdear:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nm!

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's the gap of your gums. 3 points for each tooth, measured in millimeters.

What numbers should I be shooting for?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

regulargonzalez posted:

What numbers should I be shooting for?

<4, the lower the better.

https://newswise.com/articles/flabby-gums-are-worse-than-flabby-abs-says-loyola-dentist

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
e: I'll ask in the math thread instead.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 2, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Koivunen posted:

Re: blood piss. Even a small amount of blood can dilute urine to make it look much more significant than it actually is. That being said, any amount of visible blood is not good, and you should get it checked out. It’s not an immediately life threatening emergency so if you need to wait for urgent care to open so you don’t go bankrupt that’s probably fine. However, if you develop other symptoms like fever, tiredness, aches, lightheadedness, chills, etc, or if your urine gets so bloody it looks like straight blood, you should be seen right away.

Seconding this in all respects from an occasional bloodpisser's perspective. Check your temperature, though. If it was me, I'd wait and go to Urgent Care because the emergency room is the devil and generally 8 to 10 times as expensive, but don't be me. Watch your temperature and your pain levels.

Good luck!

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
What is a good place to look for advice, ideas, and general help on modding/reuphosltering/upgrading/I don't know the terms a beater car as a project? I'm looking to turn a Chevy Tahoe (2002) into a two week adventure van to move across the continent (in a year), and would prefer to somewhat comfortably sleep in the car if possible. Does anyone know where I can go to see if my goal is even achievable?

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

10dishOkiku posted:

What is a good place to look for advice, ideas, and general help on modding/reuphosltering/upgrading/I don't know the terms a beater car as a project? I'm looking to turn a Chevy Tahoe (2002) into a two week adventure van to move across the continent (in a year), and would prefer to somewhat comfortably sleep in the car if possible. Does anyone know where I can go to see if my goal is even achievable?

Definitely go check out Automotive Insanity in general, or maybe the AI Stupid Question thread?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Looking for apps or websites that help comparison shop for groceries - I'd imagine it's out there in 2018, but I haven't found a 'good' one yet.
I've tried the Basket and GroceryIQ apps but they don't do really what I'm looking for. Basket I'd say is the most on track but doesnt look like you can really sort search results very easily and some other cosmetic issues that make sorting somewhat tedious.

I want to select some area stores - say Kroger, Woodmans, Hyvee, Target. Of those, search for Brownberry bread. It spits out a list of the prices on Brownberry breads at each store. In a way I dont want coupon sites as I'm looking for the "general" item price so I can base it out on $/oz and make a spreadsheet of where is cheapest for which groceries and then when sales/deals are worth it.

Make sense?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have any advice for someone thinking about looking for work after being a stay at home dad for a few years?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Anyone have any advice for someone thinking about looking for work after being a stay at home dad for a few years?

A past coworker of mine applied and interviewed for jobs he didn't want just to get practice. Then went for the real jobs. :shrug:

He worked as a bartender for 6 years or so, then decided to get back into the construction game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Quabzor posted:

A past coworker of mine applied and interviewed for jobs he didn't want just to get practice. Then went for the real jobs. :shrug:

He worked as a bartender for 6 years or so, then decided to get back into the construction game.

Yeah I'm pretty much applying for everything at this point partly just to get the interview practice in since its been almost 7 years since I had to do an interview. It sucks though because I don't want to do what I did before. I too would like to get into something construction or construction adjacent.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

What were you doing, before your current honorable job?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

What were you doing, before your current honorable job?

serving legal papers

to elaborate I can probably get a job at the place I was working before, but I'd rather do something else so I'm not really applying there. :shrug: I'd really like to do something different.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 4, 2018

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Definitely go check out Automotive Insanity in general, or maybe the AI Stupid Question thread?

Will do. Thank you!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much applying for everything at this point partly just to get the interview practice in since its been almost 7 years since I had to do an interview. It sucks though because I don't want to do what I did before. I too would like to get into something construction or construction adjacent.

Go for the adjacent option or something else entirely if you have one, construction loving sucks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why is this a common occurrence for me: I swallow multivitamins or fish tablets, and then like an hour later, I'll burp and powder comes out my mouth? it's like the tablet doesn't actually end up in my stomach, but sits in my throat, partially dissolves, and then irritates me until I cough / burp and a bunch of powder comes out.

happens more often than not, even if I swallow a lot of water with the pill. I just coughed a bigass cloud of vitamin powder and the taste of fish oil tablets is super strong in my mouth, which is kind of disgusting. same happened a couple of times when I was taking antibiotics.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 4, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I mean it's not something that's ever happened to me, but like... drink water with em?

Also chances are you don't need to be taking vitamins at all, unless you're some creep who only eats McNuggets or something. They won't make you healthier, they just correct deficiencies that you're unlikely to have based on the fact that you're posting on SA.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChairMaster posted:

deficiencies that you're unlikely to have based on the fact that you're posting on SA.

Unless it's vitamin D.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Is there a term for a kind of idiom or figure of speech which conveys some metaphorical truth but is literally flatly false on its face? Kinda like the opposite of a truism. I'm thinking something like "sunlight is the best disinfectant"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Go for the adjacent option or something else entirely if you have one, construction loving sucks.

Its hard because I have a lot of trouble with jobs where there is a lot of down time or I spend too much time in the office. For a long-term kind of job I need something that keeps me both physically and mentally active like 90% of the time. In terms of what I actually want to get into I've been looking at apprenticeships for things like electrician or jobs with electric companies that have apprenticeships. Does anyone know anything specifically about apprenticeships in WA state or in general and could give me some tips about what they're looking for? The listed minimum requirements are all extremely minimum and my understanding is they often have wait lists or are competitive, I just am not sure how to get an edge.

Has anyone here been a stay at home parent then gone back to work? I'm really interested in how I should spin my time at home during job interviews and such, my wife sent me an article that says just talk about it as little as possible without lying, but a three/four year gap in employment needs explanation in my opinion.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know there's a brain mechanic / chemical that locks up your muscles so that you don't flop off the bed with every dream; is it the same mechanic that prevents you from pissing the bed every time you have a you-gotta-pee dream?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Think your demo is a little off. There are tons of goons in their mid 20s and it tapers off in age from there I believe. As most people get older they probably find other things to do and their usage declines.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My husband tried getting an apprenticeship for two years before giving up. Where we are from there is fierce competition, 1-2 spots open a year (in steel working anyway), and getting a position usually means you’ve got a connection with someone already in the field. You shouldn’t devote 100% of your job search efforts to getting an apprenticeship. Apply for/start a regular job and keep looking for apprenticeships at the same time.

As far as your work gap goes, just say you were a stay at home dad. You don’t have to spin that at all, and it’s self explanatory. Nobody worth working for is going to think that was a bad use of your time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Something Offal posted:

Think your demo is a little off. There are tons of goons in their mid 20s and it tapers off in age from there I believe. As most people get older they probably find other things to do and their usage declines.

I don't know what subforums you're posting in that are full of 20 year olds, but the biggest bulk of something awful members joined before 2010. Unless all of the 00s-09s signed up when they were literal teenagers or pre-teens, they're in their 30s by now just by virtue of math.

There are more people posting in their 30s than any other age group by a large margin. Most posters started posting when they were 18-25. A very large chunk of posters have been posting for well over a decade.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Koivunen posted:

Where we are from there is fierce competition, 1-2 spots open a year (in steel working anyway), and getting a position usually means you’ve got a connection with someone already in the field. You shouldn’t devote 100% of your job search efforts to getting an apprenticeship. Apply for/start a regular job and keep looking for apprenticeships at the same time.

This is kind of what I figured, thanks for your advice. I've got some extended family who are electricians and I'm trying to see if they know anyone who can hook me up with an apprenticeship. Besides that though construction is going through a boom around here so I'm hoping that things have opened up at least a little bit. Fingers crossed. I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing and I forgot how anxious a job search can be.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Koivunen posted:

As far as your work gap goes, just say you were a stay at home dad. You don’t have to spin that at all, and it’s self explanatory. Nobody worth working for is going to think that was a bad use of your time.

This. I’m fortunate enough to be involved in making hiring decisions and I can say 100% that I’d rather hire someone with previous professional experience in a different field who makes no bones about having spent a few years as a stay at home parent and is looking to get back into work. I can assume that you understand responsibility and are motivated to work hard, especially as you presumably did so before in your other field and can evidence it with references. I would also assume that you’re in it for the long haul, especially if you’re open about wanting to change field, retrain, and start from the ground up.

Hiring anyone is a roll of the loving dice and you need as many nudges to indicate a good outcome as possible.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
While watching M*A*S*H, I have to ask about the living quarters.

The CO, Father Mulcahy, and Margaret always have their own tents (but have been known to share when needed). Radar (and later Klinger) lives in the office. In some episodes, I have seen Klinger and the occasional nurse with their own tents. There was at least one episode where we see four nurses bunking together and, of course, the doctors share the Swamp (at first, four, and after Spearchucker was removed, three).

Is this even remotely realistic? I can see the CO getting his own tent being the leader and the chaplain who could use his tent for various religious reasons like confession, but why would some people get a tent and others not beyond what the plot requires?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

While watching M*A*S*H, I have to ask about the living quarters.

The CO, Father Mulcahy, and Margaret always have their own tents (but have been known to share when needed). Radar (and later Klinger) lives in the office. In some episodes, I have seen Klinger and the occasional nurse with their own tents. There was at least one episode where we see four nurses bunking together and, of course, the doctors share the Swamp (at first, four, and after Spearchucker was removed, three).

Is this even remotely realistic? I can see the CO getting his own tent being the leader and the chaplain who could use his tent for various religious reasons like confession, but why would some people get a tent and others not beyond what the plot requires?

It's basically realistic for the MASH units around during the Korean War, with some little quirks in from how similar units behaved during the Vietnam War, but nothing that would be fully out of line during the Korean War. The main difference is that the real units had more personnel in them, so fewer people would have the opportunity to have their own tent for very long. Basically the depicted unit in the show is like a quarter smaller than a MASH unit usually was and noticeably had fewer surgeons and full doctors than normal units would have.

Much of the construction and layout of a MASH unit would be ad-hoc as they moved around to be near enough to the front lines to be useful, so when first deployed in an area there's a certain minimum amount of tents and stuff you need to have setup so you can treat people, and then you set up more over time. So at different times from when the unit moved to an area, more or less people would get privacy like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Its hard because I have a lot of trouble with jobs where there is a lot of down time or I spend too much time in the office. For a long-term kind of job I need something that keeps me both physically and mentally active like 90% of the time. In terms of what I actually want to get into I've been looking at apprenticeships for things like electrician or jobs with electric companies that have apprenticeships. Does anyone know anything specifically about apprenticeships in WA state or in general and could give me some tips about what they're looking for? The listed minimum requirements are all extremely minimum and my understanding is they often have wait lists or are competitive, I just am not sure how to get an edge.

Has anyone here been a stay at home parent then gone back to work? I'm really interested in how I should spin my time at home during job interviews and such, my wife sent me an article that says just talk about it as little as possible without lying, but a three/four year gap in employment needs explanation in my opinion.

You'll certainly make decent money after an apprenticeship, I did a plumbing apprenticeship for a while and was not prepared for how grueling it would be. I was looking for something similar and am the same way about being stuck in an office and I thought construction would be a perfect fit. I wasn't prepared for dozens of hours of mandatory overtime every week, getting stationed 80 miles a way from where I live culminating 16 hour days 6 days a week with commute, with classes in the evening, the nerves in my hands going haywire for months because of hammer drills, pissing and making GBS threads in the most disgusting conditions you could imagine, and coming home feeling like I literally got beat up at the end of the day. It was awful. Not saying you'd have the same experience but I would not recommend it based on my own.

On the bright side apprenticeships are really easy to get as long as the economy is decent where you live. You can probably just find a company that will want to start you the next day regardless of experience. I don't know your financial situation, but personally I'd recommend going for something in the realm of a Fedex driving job if you want something active and entertaining that doesn't require a lot of experience (The pay ceiling will definitely be less than construction, though it might actually start out at a little more). I took a similar gig for now after losing my long term office job recently, and it rules. You get to be alone and just listen to music and it's super physical without literally kicking the poo poo out of you because you are walking, lifting and climbing all day and it's so fast paced it never gets boring.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Its hard because I have a lot of trouble with jobs where there is a lot of down time or I spend too much time in the office. For a long-term kind of job I need something that keeps me both physically and mentally active like 90% of the time.

I've been a property/casualty claims adjuster for over 30-years.

If you like working from home, setting your own appointments, crawling around houses of every age & stripe from crawlspaces to roofs...it's a good career. Pays fairly well and usually includes a comapny car.

The job requires organization, understanding of insurance policies (dipping into contract law) and state regulations on inspecting, estimating, and keeping insureds and other principals informed. You have to develop a thick skin and a degree of diplomacy as you will (infrequently, unless you're in Philadelphia/New York/Long Island) encounter real assholes face-to-face.

There's math, letter writing, documentation, problem-solving...

and, if you want steady pay & decent benefits: learning to be a corporate trained monkey/whore - which is its own skill-set.

I fly a drone as well for my company.

I cannot ever imagine working at a desk job again, and what I've learned over the years about construction (what I've found wrong is more valuable than right, almost) has saved me tens of thousands of dollars.

It is critical to maintain a robust sense of humour. If you let the job take you, and you take it too personally, it will kill you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOvsyamoEDg

What's the instrument that sounds like an insects wings buzzing? I think it's this dude here

also, where can I find more music similar to this? I've listened to the bands other songs, but none of them sound as good to me as this one does. I really like the way the music is so sharp and jumpy, especially the flute bit.

edit: am I stupid and it's just someone blowing into a blade of grass?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 5, 2018

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Hurdy gurdy is the instrument

eta: the instrument in the picture is a hurdy gurdy, but i'm not 100% certain it's making the buzzing sound in the song. I'm reasonably sure it is, but it's tuned suuuuper low in the mix and there's a Jew's harp drowning it out

I might be wrong though

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hurdy gurdy is the one in the picture, but the buzzy noise sounds like a harmonica or something similar.