Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

suuma posted:

All other things aside I think it comes down to whether or not you want to use a mouse to aim in your shoot mans game?
True. I should keep my PS4 as the Yakuza machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like the level of ghost babel that was just 15 minutes of finding and switching between boxes and retreading the same floors if you made a mistake with the boxes was a bit much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They just played through Ghost Babel on Giant Bomb, with a Metal Gear superfan at the helm.

By the end he was all "I loving hate this game"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm sad that steam games unlock at noon now, I want to fuckin play dragon quest drat it

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Woke up at four am to go to work today and finished up at seven and want to die. On the plus side it was mostly standby so I took a nap on my couch and beat the white palace in hollow knight which is something I didn’t think I’d be able to accomplish. Platformers kill me but gently caress I love that game.

I’m on the PlayStation store page about to buy forsaken and I feel like I should forgo it and just do Spider-Man (who am I kidding I’m buying both)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
BFV is probably best on PC, though since they still refuse to improve the game by removing snipers, you have that problem even worse than on consoles.

Also, even though I am a noted and handsome Dragon Quest Criticizer, XI actually looks kinda rad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Metal Slader Glory is certainly the most impressive looking Famicom game but the dialog is painfully slow. Princess Tomato was smart enough to make dialog near instantaneous.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

BFV is probably best on PC, though since they still refuse to improve the game by removing snipers, you have that problem even worse than on consoles.

Also, even though I am a noted and handsome Dragon Quest Criticizer, XI actually looks kinda rad.

Dragon Quest is above criticism, except that they always have horrible encounter rates and are essentially identical. But the former has been addressed so it's gonna be awesome

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
And the final bosses are mostly forgettable after 4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

V is my fav but imma play xi

Just beat yakuza 2k. Good poo poo. Such cliffhanger

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

V is my fav but imma play xi

Just beat yakuza 2k. Good poo poo. Such cliffhanger

There's stuff after the credits, just in case you missed it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bentacos posted:

And the final bosses are mostly forgettable after 4.

Yeah I didn’t care for iv that much but Psaro in the remake is one of the greatest pixel animated enemies in video games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man nurse posted:

There's stuff after the credits, just in case you missed it.

Yeah its on now no cliffhang

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Finally beat Dark Souls Remastered, got all the optional bosses too. Only took a little over 3 months. And then in ng+ I make as much progress in a couple hours as made in a month on my first playthrough. Overall was quite an experience, not sure what could possibly follow that up. My soul feels forged in ash

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKbJdCbyB0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They just played through Ghost Babel on Giant Bomb, with a Metal Gear superfan at the helm.

idk why dan likes metal gear at all, because he hates all the individual elements of it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

it's bizarre how much of ghost babel's writing feels like a dead ringer for the kind of feel that mgs1 had
It is meant to be an alternate universe take on MGS1, hence why you get stuff like Colonel Campbell asking a retired Snake to do one last mission and characters that are essentially offshoots of Meryl, Otacon, Master Miller, and the Foxhound agents.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 4, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the latest god of war update deleted my ability to upgrade Boy's equipment and i'm mad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What the gently caress

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I always got the impression Dan was in it for the spectacle and action movie set pieces first.

I haven't played Ghost Babel (though it sounds like I should) but I doubt the GBC brings it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i had ghost babel on the game boy and i stopped playing it at the cardboard box maze which i think is the same story for literally 99.99% of the people who played ghost babel

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
re: disc changes, I absolutely agree that for PSX JRPGs they drove the writers to make powerful act breaks, which lead to better games. Having multiple discs was, to my young self, a mark of quality. Of course, it increased the chance that you’d get to the last disc only to find it was unreadable by your pos console.

It makes it a little weird to play through those multi disc games in their remastered forms. There’s a part in FFIX where you go from a dramatic boss fight straight into a daylight scene with light-hearted talk about pickles. You needed that moment spent saving and fishing the next disc out to process the drama before easing into the next act.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
As a kid I used to judge games by number of discs and was sort of shocked my possible fav game of all time (besides phantasy star 4) xenogears was on a measly two discs.

I have a deeply enjoyable memory of beating disc two of final fantasy seven on New Year’s Eve and getting interrupted loading the third disc by my martini-soaked mother bringing me down an entire Peking duck (!) that the New Years party didn’t eat. I died to ruby weapon like six times and blamed my greasy fingers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was amazed that Riven came on FIVE discs and included a little custom CD wallet with game art to keep them all in.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had an N64 as a child and thus never swapped discs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I had an N64 as a child and thus never swapped discs

never bought an n64dd...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

We were a welcoming household with joint consoles of Nintendo and Sega, which evolved into Nintendo and Playstation as the years wore on

Never had an Xbox

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Black August posted:

We were a welcoming household with joint consoles of Nintendo and Sega, which evolved into Nintendo and Playstation as the years wore on

Never had an Xbox

:same:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Admission: It was only ever a Genesis and Dreamcast,

But that's all you ever need.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
MGS2 stream status update: it feels like half my time is spent watching Vinny repeatedly fall into the ocean

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh god you're watching Vinny play that game?

Vinny is terrible at video games, I remember the compilation of him playing his first actual sonic the hedgehog game and it was one of the genesis ones and he just had no clue what he was doing lol

Also, ghost babel box maze wasn't that difficult imo, I thought it was a nice little reprieve from the constant stealth stuff.

I remember when I was doing my unfinished ghost babel lp I recorded a few of the levels in the time trial mode to get the best rank. Something that is very useful to know is that it turns out you can be seen by an enemy for like a second before the alert actually goes off so if you run in front of them but immediately hit a screen transition, then they didn't actually see you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Housh posted:

Is it better to play BFV on PC (I7-6700k, 1060 6GB) or PS4 Pro?

EA's multiplayer titles have the biggest playerbase on PlayStation. I would however go with where your friends are going. The game isn't worth playing by yourself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Vinny is terrible at video games

Realtalk I have no idea how someone that streams videogames for a living almost every day manages to be so bad at them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Realtalk I have no idea how someone that streams videogames for a living almost every day manages to be so bad at them.

I know, right? When he plays games that are already bad it doesn't show too much because it's like the game is compensating for Vinny's ineptitude but like

Well, for everyone interested in seeing what I'm talking about, just watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q9SXJZRNCE

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I said come in! posted:

EA's multiplayer titles have the biggest playerbase on PlayStation. I would however go with where your friends are going. The game isn't worth playing by yourself.
I got in the early beta that starts in a few hours and I know it goes open next week. I think I'm going to try PC first since I have a proper mouse and keyboard and been enjoying Quake Champions. I think I have more friends who would play BF on PC than console but I'll give it a shot on both platforms. It's been pushed back, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh god you're watching Vinny play that game?

Vinny is terrible at video games, I remember the compilation of him playing his first actual sonic the hedgehog game and it was one of the genesis ones and he just had no clue what he was doing lol

i mean tbf genesis sonic is pretty rough if you're just jumping into it for the first time and have no sense for the movement mechanics

if he'd been playing sonic 1 or 2 instead of sonic 3 he probably wouldn't have even finished the game and, well, i wouldn't have blamed him

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most people who play games aren't great at them to begin with tbh, and it's been well demonstrated that streaming/talking while playing is a big distractor. Most skilled LPs have commentary added in post, and even speedrunners have commentators do a lot of the talking for them and Quiet Time rules.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
MGS2 having so many ways to end up dropping into bottomless pits is just a commentary on how the whole mission is just a simulation.

Which would make more sense if it was Castlevania and we were trying to create like, the perfect Belmont. At least Classic Castlevania.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I literally never fell in a pit in mgs2, game is not hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

corn in the bible posted:

I literally never fell in a pit in mgs2, game is not hard

Yeah are people just not doing pull-ups or what here