Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just finished two weeks worth of modding to my Historical Immersion Project game. I revamped all of the flags above county-level. Would you guys like to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
:justpost:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wanna get back into this game after a long while of being too busy to play it. I have every expansion up to way of life, is it worth picking up the rest?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Starting off with Hispania

Also mixed some colors

Of course this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I go Satanist can I kidnap and sacrifice them? The game's frustratingly opaque about who counts as a legitimate target for some of the society / focus / etc. actions.

You can kidnap anyone who isn't a duke or above or a close relative of one. In your position though I would consider just retracting them and revoking their titles. The tyranny penalties for both of those aren't very large and only last for five years so if you can handle some slightly crankier vassals for a bit then I'd say it's worthwhile.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

You can kidnap anyone who isn't a duke or above or a close relative of one. In your position though I would consider just retracting them and revoking their titles. The tyranny penalties for both of those aren't very large and only last for five years so if you can handle some slightly crankier vassals for a bit then I'd say it's worthwhile.

That's what I did, now I'm moving on to others outside my realm because some weirdo in Bavaria keeps appointing Karling barons despite not even being a member of the dynasty themselves. :cripes:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wanna get back into this game after a long while of being too busy to play it. I have every expansion up to way of life, is it worth picking up the rest?

Generally speaking, yes.

I personally don't have Horse Lords and I don't feel like I'm missing it, but it does let you play as Genghis Khan which must be fun. The others are totally worth it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The last two (first two, in this game) Crusades have been called; I've jumped in with an overwhelming majority of force and we've stomped the heathens.
The first one ended with the territory switching back to some pissant French cock, who immediately had about a dozen back-to-back rebellions.
The second one ended with the Saxon King converting.

Give me some loving territory, you ungrateful swineherds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Territories are given out by contribution, so if someone else is leading the fights they'll steal your contribution. I got Jerusalem in my first crusade as Ireland and only sent 500 guys, I just got to the sieges first

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ok, when the gently caress did the "Mercenaries are now hired in their home country" thing come into play, and where the gently caress does it tell me where this actually is?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They appear in your capital, and still did as of a few days ago when I last hired a merc. If you're occupied I have no idea where they appear

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azhais posted:

They appear in your capital, and still did as of a few days ago when I last hired a merc. If you're occupied I have no idea where they appear

I'm sure they changed it so they don't appear in the capital like they used to (and got immediately massacred because God forbid professional soldiers should turn up to a war prepared to fight). I think it's the nearest unoccupied county you control now. If you're entirely occupied but somehow not defeated then they probably stay home, but then you have other problems.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Azhais posted:

Territories are given out by contribution, so if someone else is leading the fights they'll steal your contribution. I got Jerusalem in my first crusade as Ireland and only sent 500 guys, I just got to the sieges first

Nah, strictly speaking the first Crusade was for a title that a French Duke had a claim for (but had lost previously), so when the Crusade succeeded, it all went to him.
And with the second one, because he converted, the Crusade was called off.
Next time, your pointy-hattedness, you fight on your own.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I've also had issues recently with mercs spawning in strange places, including on the wrong continent and outside of my realm. I think it might be tied to occupation of some capital holdings. I didn't realize it was tied to their location, but I'll check next time it happens.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Ok so I'm in a game now against absolute behemoths that basically control the world between them and I'm trying to bring them down. One of those is the HRE and I cannot for the life of me bring it down. I have assassinated the emperors until now a 2 year old female is on the throne with her 0 year old sister as heir. The regent is awesome and content so I doubt anything will happen there and no-one will join plots because they all like the ruler too much.

So my question is how to steal artifacts and is it even possible? Because I've realised that everyone likes the ruler because they have the Lombardy crown which gives a pretty chunky opinion boost and I want it to simultaneously boost my opinion and remove it from the HRE to hopefully collapse them.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Thrasophius posted:

So my question is how to steal artifacts and is it even possible? Because I've realised that everyone likes the ruler because they have the Lombardy crown which gives a pretty chunky opinion boost and I want it to simultaneously boost my opinion and remove it from the HRE to hopefully collapse them.

There is a chance to steal random artifact from treasury when you siege their capital castle, but it's not that big.
Just join HRE and sabotage it from inside by spreading heretic cult, strengthening civil war factions or claiming it for yourself.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Ok so I'm in a game now against absolute behemoths that basically control the world between them and I'm trying to bring them down. One of those is the HRE and I cannot for the life of me bring it down. I have assassinated the emperors until now a 2 year old female is on the throne with her 0 year old sister as heir. The regent is awesome and content so I doubt anything will happen there and no-one will join plots because they all like the ruler too much.

There's a chance to lose artifacts on death, so just keep stabbing and they'll lose it. You won't gain it, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
One of my most entertaining runs was as the dudes that rule Jerusalem in 767 repeatedly creating different secret cults.

This was before the nerf, which tbh I wish was a game rule because I loving loved the chaos of it

On the other hand, now you get the princesses starting Buddhist cults so it ain't all bad

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Main Paineframe posted:

There's a chance to lose artifacts on death, so just keep stabbing and they'll lose it. You won't gain it, though.

I thought they changed this so it's less likely to happen and mostly happens for heirs that require a regency?

Alternative: marry your heir into their line and stab until your heirs betrothed is the hre heir and inherits the empire and the artifacts!!! Solve two birds with one stone!!!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Alternative: marry your heir into their line and stab until your heirs betrothed is the hre heir and inherits the empire and the artifacts!!! Solve two birds with one stone!!!

Since the current ruler and the heir are both little girls there's probably never been a better time to marry your way onto the HRE throne (um, assuming you haven't gotten caught TOO many times murdering her relatives anyway). It's way easier to patrilineally marry female AI rulers/heirs than it possibly should be.

If you don't want to do it yourself, send them a spare prince that won't inherit you, and then you'll have the HRE as your dynasty (well, assuming they can stay on the throne anyway). If you can't do it because they won't accept, some foreign AI ruler probably will, and then some wrong-culture heir will inherit and everything will blow up anyway. Win-win!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

send them a spare prince that won't inherit you

See, to me this is wrong. I'd rather send my actual heir, so that his heir will end up inheriting both kingdoms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really don't like the pregame start screen that shoves all the DLCs you didn't buy into your face begging for you to get them. No I'm not going to buy a pack of songs, get out of here.

Are there any good mods out there aside from the total overhauls? I've been thinking about those lately.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really don't like the pregame start screen that shoves all the DLCs you didn't buy into your face begging for you to get them. No I'm not going to buy a pack of songs, get out of here.

Are there any good mods out there aside from the total overhauls? I've been thinking about those lately.

I've been having fun with Orders of Chivalry, which adds a bunch of martial-focused societies, including letting you join holy orders as a lay member. Also adds the ability to found and play as your own mercenary company or holy order, go on quests to upgrade your commander traits to souped-up versions of the vanilla traits, and hire knights from your society to lead your armies.

The one drawback is that for some of the societies, the only way to rank up is the duel the person above you, so sometimes you'll get spammed with a whole bunch of duel requests in a row and you can't turn them down or you'll get demoted. Cool mod otherwise, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I sometimes use building mods, Your Personal Castle and Flogi's Buildings and Technology are both good and make things a little more dynamic. Also one called Nicknames+, because it adds names like "the Fart" and "the Good-for-Nothing", among others.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

binge crotching posted:

See, to me this is wrong. I'd rather send my actual heir, so that his heir will end up inheriting both kingdoms.

Yeah, I proposed that as an alternative to sending my heir ("if you don't want to do it yourself") but I guess my brain wasn't entirely engaged and skipped a clause or two. That said I can see not wanting to inherit the HRE, that's kind of a gamechanger and not everyone wants to paint the map.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've been having fun with Orders of Chivalry, which adds a bunch of martial-focused societies, including letting you join holy orders as a lay member. Also adds the ability to found and play as your own mercenary company or holy order, go on quests to upgrade your commander traits to souped-up versions of the vanilla traits, and hire knights from your society to lead your armies.

The one drawback is that for some of the societies, the only way to rank up is the duel the person above you, so sometimes you'll get spammed with a whole bunch of duel requests in a row and you can't turn them down or you'll get demoted. Cool mod otherwise, though.

I gave Orders of Chivalry a try and I like the concept, but in practice all the duel requests get spammy if you want to stay involved - which makes sense, of course! Also there are a few weird bugs with the duels and downranking the loser properly but they may have been fixed since I last looked. It's a great idea and so is the dude's other society mod (Great Trade League).

Seconding Your Personal Castle, and as a bonus it's compatible with basically everything.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Speaking of mods, does anyone know of any that let you use the barbershop function on characters other than yourself? It's a minor thing, but I'm sick of my kids growing gigantic knee-length beards the moment they turn 16.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lmfao if you don’t own every single dlc without exception.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lol, you have the dumb ebook, don't you

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Hey why does my physician only tell me to drink breast milk and why does he always have a lot on hand.

I do not think I should be paying this man.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Pyromancer posted:

There is a chance to steal random artifact from treasury when you siege their capital castle, but it's not that big.
Just join HRE and sabotage it from inside by spreading heretic cult, strengthening civil war factions or claiming it for yourself.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I thought they changed this so it's less likely to happen and mostly happens for heirs that require a regency?

I am trying to marry whatever dynasty member I can get into the family so I can stab away. If I can get a marriage with someone in line to the throne I'll stab until my they are in line. Being able to choose my heir because I'm a republic is also a big help. It'll be interesting forming a Holy Roman Republic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

Hey why does my physician only tell me to drink breast milk and why does he always have a lot on hand.

I do not think I should be paying this man.

Counterpoint: You should be paying him more. :pervert:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Everything but the song packs. 95% of the time I have the audio muted anyway.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ugh this is the wooooorstttt. I wanna play the game because the expansion has got me all in the mood, but the games I want to do are all in areas the expansion is gonna make so much better. I should finish my Roman Empire game but I really don't want to put in the :effort: for the last 300 years of slow conquering and having to hand out a dozen titles every other day because someone died.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Everything but the song packs. 95% of the time I have the audio muted anyway.

Speaking of the audio, I executed like forty people at once the other day (my ruler was known as "the Zealot" and had just won several holy wars, I figured a mass auto-da-fe for all the prisoners of war would be in character) and jfc, that was one of the most startling sounds I've ever heard. So many layers of screaming :stare:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SlothfulCobra posted:

Definitely get the metal sound pack, it owns :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Lol, you have the dumb ebook, don't you

I forgot about those. I don’t own them because they aren’t part of the game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm the guy who is mainly a supporter of Paradox Publishing and am only vaguely aware of this whole video game business.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

McGavin posted:

Counterpoint: You should be paying him more. :pervert:

I guess he's better than the nun who eats scabs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

and it's not even 1066 yet!

e: basically this me me right now except wrong dynasty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocm8QdNR_d8

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ShootaBoy posted:

Ugh this is the wooooorstttt. I wanna play the game because the expansion has got me all in the mood, but the games I want to do are all in areas the expansion is gonna make so much better. I should finish my Roman Empire game but I really don't want to put in the :effort: for the last 300 years of slow conquering and having to hand out a dozen titles every other day because someone died.

That's why your conquer it all with a steppe horde and settle as feudal after all of Europe, Asia, and Africa have been plowed under and converted to grazing land

• Locked thread