Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

The finale thread was bonkers. I worked late that night and got home with 30 minutes remaining on the first airing so I came in 90 minutes late and there were already like 100 pages of live watch replies.

pahuyuth posted:

I was a latecomer to BSG, I bet the live thread was indeed a sight to behold

One dude lost his poo poo with the 1 year time jump in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

Over at my parents' house for the holiday and they're watching some Irish Mob show on Netflix. They got up to the episode about Jimmy "the Gent" Burke (from Goodfellas) and they have Henry Hill on to talk about it. Man, this guy uses "gently caress" as punctuation.

What's the name? Is it like a documentary I take it?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

One dude lost his poo poo with the 1 year time jump in season 2.

If you have archives, there were some CLASSIC responses to the Sopranos finale, too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I miss Ted Mosby Architect, whose posts were better than the actual show by the time the end rolled around.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I guess getting archives and reading the threads will prompt me to watch the shows I've never watched and vice-versa :v:

like I've never seen Sopranos

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lodge 49 was real good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lodge 49 was real good
It's alright. I've watched a few episodes of it because it's on right after Better Call Saul and it's not bad, but I'm not in love with it either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ok I just finished Marcella season 2 on Netflix, and I'm not going to say how good or bad it was, but is there any given clue as to why, in the final five minutes, she slices her cheek open and cuts her hair? Is this symbolic of something? Or is it just left unexplained? Because I'm so not going to watch any part of it again to figure it out.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

doctorfrog posted:

Ok I just finished Marcella season 2 on Netflix, and I'm not going to say how good or bad it was, but is there any given clue as to why, in the final five minutes, she slices her cheek open and cuts her hair? Is this symbolic of something? Or is it just left unexplained? Because I'm so not going to watch any part of it again to figure it out.

This articles answers that question. https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-08-31/7-unanswered-questions-about-marcellas-series-finale-explained-by-the-shows-writer/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's alright. I've watched a few episodes of it because it's on right after Better Call Saul and it's not bad, but I'm not in love with it either.

that's the definition of a hard act to follow, friend.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks. The season was a mess, but compulsively watchable, and I was in the mood for a Very British Depression Murder.

I'm a bit surprised the writer answers as much as he does here, they're usually coy and useless. I'm glad though, because half the stuff he mentions in there came off as sloppy, and I guess it's good to get some answers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the name? Is it like a documentary I take it?

Yeah, it was a documentary series called The Irish Mob. I don't think I would recommend it as they had some pretty flimsy stuff in it sometimes. Like the episode about Red Hamilton, a member of the Dillinger gang, where they talk about him dying and then bring up at the last second this uncorroborated story from his nephew about how he totally just moved up to Canada and lived in a cabin on an island.

There is also an episode about Mickey Spillane (the mobster, not the author) and because they talk to his son and brother in law the whole thing is completely whitewashed. I think in the entire episode they only mention two actual crimes he was involved in. Other than that he was somehow a gangster who never actually seemed to be involved with anything, despite running Hell's Kitchen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone say your pick for biggest flop of the new season. Mine: Manifest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Manifest is up there, I also have a feeling The Kids Are Alright is going to fall flat on its face.

New Amsterdam is a contender, too.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Timby posted:

Manifest is up there, I also have a feeling The Kids Are Alright is going to fall flat on its face.

New Amsterdam is a contender, too.

New Amsterdam sounds terrible.

"The brilliant and charming Dr. Max Goodwin is the Bellevue institution's newest medical director, who sets out to tear up the bureaucracy and provide exceptional care.

Not taking "no" for an answer, Dr. Goodwin must disrupt the status quo and prove he will stop at nothing to breathe new life into this understaffed, underfunded and underappreciated hospital - the only one in the world capable of treating Ebola patients, prisoners from Rikers and the president of the United States under one roof - and return it to the glory that put it on the map."

So I guess that means it will get 12 seasons and a spinoff :smith:.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Amsterdam already flopped in 2008??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The God friended me on Facebook thing looked pretty cancelable from memory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm going to guess that Manifest tries that slow burn mystery storytelling which has been proven to just not work. Lost was pretty much the only show to pull that off and all of its imitators ended up getting canceled without revealing anything because they took too long.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Whiskey Cavelier

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Whiskey Cavelier

Really? Of all I saw, I feel like that's probably the most promising.

God Friended Me is dead right out of the gate, but Manifest is doomed too. I mean, maybe it can pivot into being early Fringe or something, and it could be saved, I dunno. But unlikely.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

New Amsterdam already flopped in 2008??

Same title, different show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMCbzrToAo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah but it's got the wild card of pandering to ancient, trembling CBS viewers.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm going to guess that Manifest tries that slow burn mystery storytelling which has been proven to just not work. Lost was pretty much the only show to pull that off and all of its imitators ended up getting canceled without revealing anything because they took too long.

Flash Forward, The Event, The One Where Electricity Don't Work, what else

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Vanished, Terra Nova, Alcatraz etc.

One show from that era cancelled after one season that should have continued: Kidnapped, with Jeremy Sisto and Delroy Lindo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Revolution got a second season, and answered basically all its long standing questions by the end of its first. (The second season was really good too, gutted the show was cancelled.)

Meanwhile Fringe got five seasons and the 4400 got four.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I guess you could put The Leftovers in that category if you really wanted to. That one was a success though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Vanished, Terra Nova, Alcatraz etc.

One show from that era cancelled after one season that should have continued: Kidnapped, with Jeremy Sisto and Delroy Lindo.

Lol Alcatraz. JJ actually produced that one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

Meanwhile Fringe got five seasons and the 4400 got four.

4400 predated Lost, though, didn't it?

Heroes also got four seasons but it sort of counts, doesn't it?

Buffy/Roswell + Lost = Heroes. :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

4400 predated Lost, though, didn't it?

By about six months, yeah. Same era though -- and the first season was one of those Syfy miniseries that ended up successfully going to series.

Must have been something in the air back then, if only very briefly.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Popelmon posted:

New Amsterdam sounds terrible.

So I guess that means it will get 12 seasons and a spinoff :smith:.

Nah, Tyler Labine’s in it. That’s a death sentence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One show you might not think of for its Lost-like qualities - Once Upon a Time. Created by two guys who worked on Lost, large ensemble cast (many of whom faded into the background or just disappeared), heavily reliant on flashbacks which mirrored or informed the "present day" events of a given episode, mystery being made up as they went along etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pitch: God Swiped Right. It's all about God getting some strange.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1036985335740289024

:prepop:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why would he do a TV show. Budget must be huge. Also I found out the showrunner wrote a bunch of The Defenders episodes so that's not good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm all in on him playing Geralt.

Also he loves the games. He LOVES the games, he mentioned it often.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would he do a TV show. Budget must be huge. Also I found out the showrunner wrote a bunch of The Defenders episodes so that's not good.

GreenNight posted:

I'm all in on him playing Geralt.

Also he loves the games. He LOVES the games, he mentioned it often.

Yeah it's this. He will drop a mention of the games into an unrelated video on FB/Instagram. He's a mega fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:circlefap:

I am so down for this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The worst of all those loving shows. Just garbage. Possibly the maddest I've ever been at TV before of since.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This show loving ruled, and at least it tied up the plot of the first season. It was good poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

This show loving ruled, and at least it tied up the plot of the first season. It was good poo poo.

That’s why you like Condor so much: it’s from the same guy (Jason Smilovic).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Also I found out the showrunner wrote a bunch of The Defenders episodes so that's not good.

Even worse news: the show is based on books written by the guy who wrote The Witcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

That’s why you like Condor so much: it’s from the same guy (Jason Smilovic).

Makes sense. I did not know that.

EDIT: poo poo, he did My Own Worst Enemy too. And Karen Sisco. OK I need to keep better track of this dude.