Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ihmemies posted:

Is there some free solution to activate windows 10 on a virtual machine? I use it for programs which I don't trust to run on my pc. The IETEST image from Microsoft shuts down after an hour. I don't mind which windows edition it is using.

Get a real license and save that to image after activating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

isndl posted:

Get a real license and save that to image after activating?

One of those $5 ebay keys it is then...

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Or just install from an iso and run unactivated. What’s the big deal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What the heck do I do when it looks like Windows Update has completely poo poo itself and is refusing to install updates since about May? I've tried just about everything that Google recommends -- dism, sfc, and both in Safe Mode, stopping services to delete files in the Windows Update directories... I've even tried having DISM point to an install USB but it still complains it can't find the files to fix the problem. I've tried a Windows refresh/reset to fix Windows 10 as a whole while preserving my files, but even that fails. Not even manually downloading the update packages and installing them that way works.

It's refusing to install KB4343902, KB4295110 and KB4134661 with error 0x800700c1.

Is there any way to fix this that I've missed, or do I have to bite the bullet and wipe everything and start over?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How about a repair install? Right over the top.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What the heck do I do when it looks like Windows Update has completely poo poo itself and is refusing to install updates since about May? I've tried just about everything that Google recommends -- dism, sfc, and both in Safe Mode, stopping services to delete files in the Windows Update directories... I've even tried having DISM point to an install USB but it still complains it can't find the files to fix the problem. I've tried a Windows refresh/reset to fix Windows 10 as a whole while preserving my files, but even that fails. Not even manually downloading the update packages and installing them that way works.

It's refusing to install KB4343902, KB4295110 and KB4134661 with error 0x800700c1.

Is there any way to fix this that I've missed, or do I have to bite the bullet and wipe everything and start over?

Ok this might sound crazy, but have you tried the built-in troubleshooter? Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot

I know, I know, automatic troubleshooters are completely useless! But that thing actually works, in cases where the update service has gotten wedged.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

redeyes posted:

How about a repair install? Right over the top.

Tried that. It hits about 60 percent and abruptly terminates with nothing other than Windows has failed to install.

Klyith posted:

Ok this might sound crazy, but have you tried the built-in troubleshooter? Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot

I know, I know, automatic troubleshooters are completely useless! But that thing actually works, in cases where the update service has gotten wedged.

It just points to a Windows Update database error that it can't fix. Steps to fix it manually just lead to dism, sfc, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Did you have a chance to check your hard drive for failures? Corrupt files can sometimes cause issues with windows and may not be immediately apparent. If a repair reinstall is failing that sounds like a possible hardware issue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Did you have a chance to check your hard drive for failures? Corrupt files can sometimes cause issues with windows and may not be immediately apparent. If a repair reinstall is failing that sounds like a possible hardware issue.

No problems with the hard disk. I just finished doing a clean install. The only thing I had on the Windows drive was, well, Windows. But it's still a bit of a mess getting everything back how I had it. Here's hoping Windows Update won't break down again.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone ever heard of enabling Hyper-V causing DPC watchdog violation BSODs? I started getting numerous ones about a month ago, always just when idling at the desktop (never during anything that would stress the system), and coinciding with when I upgraded from 10 Home to 10 Pro (partly out of intent to use Hyper-V). After going through numerous steps such as disabling my CPU OC, removing hardware (a PCIe USB 3.0 5-port card), clean installs of Windows 10, and even RMA'ing my loving GPU, I still experienced one yesterday after getting my RMA'ed GPU back and clean installing 1803 on a brand new SSD (and while I was at it, updated all SSDs in my system to the latest firmwares).

I'm about at my wits end with this, but in going through all the system changes that occurred around the time the BSODs started occurring, Hyper-V was one of them. So, this morning I removed Hyper-V and uninstalled all of its leftover virtual network adapters in Device Manager and... so far, no BSODs. I'm not ready to call it solved, but it seems bizarre to me that that alone would trigger such a shitshow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, happened to me too. Not a clue what was causing it!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Compattelrunner.exe has been causing a ton of unnecessary reads on all of my connected drives lately. Last summer, I used gpedit to disable "Allow Telemetry" under Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds. I also went to Task Scheduler and disabled the task under Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience. There's a registry key at Local Machine > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > DataCollection called AllowTelemetry which is set to 0.

Despite all of these settings, Compattelrunner opens multiple times per day and scans every executable on all of the drives. Considering I have hundreds of pieces of software installed over multiple drives, it takes 10-15 minutes for it to finish doing its stuff, repeating its process again every few hours. Suspending the process in Resource Monitor seems to work temporarily until I restart the computer, but is there any reason why it is ignoring all of my settings in the first place? I'm afraid of pulling out the big gun (CACLS) to disable read/write access from all users because it may break something in the future. I'm not :tinfoil: or anything--it's just that it seems to be using up nearly 100GB in reads every week, which I would classify as unnecessary wear and tear on the drives. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm on Home edition so I don't know if it's different for me, but compattelrunner shows up in Task Scheduler under Microsoft | Windows | Application Experience. You could try disabling those, but I've noticed in Task Scheduler that some disabled items still have recent run timestamps so :shrug:

Also check to see if "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" in services.msc is enabled and disable it if it is.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Ofecks posted:

I'm on Home edition so I don't know if it's different for me, but compattelrunner shows up in Task Scheduler under Microsoft | Windows | Application Experience. You could try disabling those, but I've noticed in Task Scheduler that some disabled items still have recent run timestamps so :shrug:

Also check to see if "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" in services.msc is enabled and disable it if it is.

That service is already disabled. In Task Scheduler, it shows next run time being tomorrow but the last run time was in April of 2017. That leads me to believe compattelrunner is being used by another service or being initiated by another process, since it's clearly not updating the date in TS, but :iiam:. I appreciate the suggestions nonetheless. I'm using Win 10 Pro (group policy editor was a necessity).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

That service is already disabled. In Task Scheduler, it shows next run time being tomorrow but the last run time was in April of 2017. That leads me to believe compattelrunner is being used by another service or being initiated by another process, since it's clearly not updating the date in TS, but :iiam:. I appreciate the suggestions nonetheless. I'm using Win 10 Pro (group policy editor was a necessity).

The policy isn't doing what you think.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

astral posted:

So there's no way to disable it entirely without either getting a copy of Win 10 Enterprise (not happening) or disabling read/write access, probably breaking other stuff in the process? Bummer. I had actually forgotten about it until I noticed my fans kicking into higher speeds whenever the process starts. Recently cleaned out the computer and reapplied thermal paste to the GPU/CPU. The only times the fans seem to become audible are when watching high bitrate video, when compattelrunner is doing its thing, and when gaming.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Disabling read/write on entire drives for SYSTEM or trustedinstaller is a terrible idea, don't do that.

I'm seeing that you can delete the compattelrunner.exe with no bad consequences if you go through the process of take ownership / take permissions / delete. You have to start with the copies in SxS first, otherwise it just re-pops.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

Disabling read/write on entire drives for SYSTEM or trustedinstaller is a terrible idea, don't do that.

I'm seeing that you can delete the compattelrunner.exe with no bad consequences if you go through the process of take ownership / take permissions / delete. You have to start with the copies in SxS first, otherwise it just re-pops.

I meant using CACLS to remove r/w permissions for compattelrunner.exe for all users, but if I can take permissions for my user and delete, that's obviously a much safer route. I'll give it a shot.

Steam has been "downloading" 0 byte updates since last Fall and I just noticed this evening that compattelrunner runs every time a 0 byte update shows up in my completed queue or when I uninstall a game from Steam. It reads every executable and DLL on all connected drives at 50-100 MB/s. Since these 0 byte updates are happening multiple times daily, it seems to be making the process run much more often than usual. It used to be an issue with just the beta builds of Steam but it seems to have made its way into the stable builds at one point. I can reproduce the issue manually by simply closing and opening Steam.

edit: I should maybe note for context that Fallout 4 is manually paused because I use Fallout 4 Script Extender (also not a 0 byte update because it hasn't downloaded the manifest to see the update size), but any number of installed Steam games will show up in my completed queue every time I open Steam.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 4, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I meant using CACLS to remove r/w permissions for compattelrunner.exe for all users, but if I can take permissions for my user and delete, that's obviously a much safer route. I'll give it a shot.

Steam has been "downloading" 0 byte updates since last Fall and I just noticed this evening that compattelrunner runs every time a 0 byte update shows up in my completed queue or when I uninstall a game from Steam. It reads every executable and DLL on all connected drives at 50-100 MB/s. Since these 0 byte updates are happening multiple times daily, it seems to be making the process run much more often than usual. It used to be an issue with just the beta builds of Steam but it seems to have made its way into the stable builds at one point. I can reproduce the issue manually by simply closing and opening Steam.

edit: I should maybe note for context that Fallout 4 is manually paused because I use Fallout 4 Script Extender (also not a 0 byte update because it hasn't downloaded the manifest to see the update size), but any number of installed Steam games will show up in my completed queue every time I open Steam.

well that's pretty reproducible!

Indulge my curiosity -- if you haven't already gone ahead and deleted the exe yet -- is the Program Compatibility Assistant Service running? And what happens if you disable it and reboot?

Also, what does this key in your registry
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
look like?

I don't know that I've ever even seen compattelrunner.exe active on my PC ever, and I'm kinda wondering why it's going nuts for you. I feel like even if you have a lot of software installed it shouldn't be 15 minutes to work unless there's some sort of tail-chasing thing in the file system. In which case a disk check would be a good idea.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

astral posted:

I have been noticing that worthless sack of poo poo process running a lot lately; didn't know it was reading every executable every time. And now learning about this makes my loving blood boil.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

well that's pretty reproducible!

Indulge my curiosity -- if you haven't already gone ahead and deleted the exe yet -- is the Program Compatibility Assistant Service running? And what happens if you disable it and reboot?

Also, what does this key in your registry
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
look like?

I don't know that I've ever even seen compattelrunner.exe active on my PC ever, and I'm kinda wondering why it's going nuts for you. I feel like even if you have a lot of software installed it shouldn't be 15 minutes to work unless there's some sort of tail-chasing thing in the file system. In which case a disk check would be a good idea.

The PCA service was running, so I disabled it. After a reboot, there weren't any 0 byte updates and compattelrunner didn't open. I opened Steam about ten times trying to reproduce the issue without any luck. Just to cover all bases, I set the service back to automatic start and restarted the computer. I'm still unable to get Steam to show any 0 byte updates, though, and compattelrunner has yet to run. Prior to all of this, I launched Steam seven times and each time a new batch of 0 byte updates appeared along with a compattelrunner scan. I'm going to leave the PCA service enabled until I see compattelrunner pop up again. If/when that happens, I'll disable the service, restart, and see whether it persists.

The key you mentioned has a number of subkeys. It looks like a list of most of the executables and MSI/Windows installers on all connected drives, but not all of them. There are some games installed on Steam and some other software not present as subkeys. There are seven SIGN.MEDIA subkeys as well.

I realize part of my confusion lies in assuming compattelrunner has anything to do with the telemetry policy. That doesn't seem to be the case. If it is the PCA service giving me grief, that would also maybe explain why the "installed on" dates are nowhere near accurate in appwiz.cpl anymore.

I think the issue lies in the Steam updates from December 2017 onwards. Steam > Settings > Shader Pre-Caching is almost definitely the likely culprit. I unchecked the box and sixteen 0 byte downloads popped into the completed list, but no compattelrunner scan followed. I'm thinking Steam trying to constantly download pre-compiled shaders is making the PCA service go "hey, new install/update, do your thing" and compattelrunner is just doing its job... several times an hour in some cases. Considering how long the issue has gone on, I'm looking at who knows how many TB of extra reads across my drives just to save half of a second in some OpenGL software and all ten games that support Vulkan. Thanks, Valve. :shepface:

edit: Oh god.

This is my two-year-old 3TB HDD that has the majority of my Steam games installed on it. 377 TB :(

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The key you mentioned has a number of subkeys. It looks like a list of most of the executables and MSI/Windows installers on all connected drives, but not all of them. There are some games installed on Steam and some other software not present as subkeys. There are seven SIGN.MEDIA subkeys as well.
Ok, but not like a million billion subkeys. Nevermind then, that was a wrong guess.

quote:

I realize part of my confusion lies in assuming compattelrunner has anything to do with the telemetry policy. That doesn't seem to be the case. If it is the PCA service giving me grief, that would also maybe explain why the "installed on" dates are nowhere near accurate in appwiz.cpl anymore.
It's part of the overall telemetry package, but the thing is that the programs that collect telemetry statistics still run even when you have telemetry disabled by group policy. The system just doesn't send the data to MS.

So disabling telemetry is nice if you have strong feelings about data collection and privacy, but useless if it's the programs themselves giving you grief. I have event log spam about devicecensus.exe errors myself (that's the program that's supposed to collect hardware telemetry), fortunately that has zero impact outside the event log.

So my hypothesis is that Program Compatibility Assistant might have been being triggered by something -- like those Steam updates -- and that was then kicking off compatibility telemetry. But I still have no clue why the telemetry program was chewing disks for so long.

edit: Oh god.

This is my two-year-old 3TB HDD that has the majority of my Steam games installed on it. 377 TB :(
Reading a disk really doesn't wear it out or anything. If it's being prevented from going to sleep maybe, but even for that there's some evidence for it being a mixed bag.

The only thing that wears out from use is SSDs or other flash storage, and only from writing.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 4, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Klyith posted:

It's part of the overall telemetry package, but the thing is that the programs that collect telemetry statistics still run even when you have telemetry disabled by group policy. The system just doesn't send the data to MS.

So disabling telemetry is nice if you have strong feelings about data collection and privacy, but useless if it's the programs themselves giving you grief. I have event log spam about devicecensus.exe errors myself (that's the program that's supposed to collect hardware telemetry), fortunately that has zero impact outside the event log.

So my hypothesis is that Program Compatibility Assistant might have been being triggered by something -- like those Steam updates -- and that was then kicking off compatibility telemetry. But I still have no clue why the telemetry program was chewing disks for so long.

I don't really care about the privacy aspects, but I was getting nervous at how much extra wear the drive was taking because I kept seeing compattelrunner every other time I opened Resource Monitor. But like Astral pointed out, the policy for telemetry in Windows 10 Pro can't actually be disabled, just set to 1 (basic). If I'm understanding correctly, that means it is collecting and sending basic info, whereas if I had EDU or Enterprise, I could set it so that it collects but doesn't send, right?

It definitely has not launched since I unchecked the Steam pre-cache setting, thankfully, but my SMART data makes the HDD look like a drive you'd expect to see from a heavy world community grid user. To make matters worse, SeaTools isn't able to run a short DST without failing at 10%, so it looks like I'm going to need new storage sooner rather than later. I appreciate your help in narrowing down the issue. Now I'm just concerned that all the other posts I came across regarding 0 byte updates means that some of those users are unknowingly having their drives thrashed as well. For comparison's sake, my HDD has 31TB total writes to its 377TB total reads. Hopefully it will limp along until next summer when storage prices are lower.

Thanks again.

Klyith posted:

Reading a disk really doesn't wear it out or anything. If it's being prevented from going to sleep maybe, but even for that there's some evidence for it being a mixed bag.

The only thing that wears out from use is SSDs or other flash storage, and only from writing.

I'm sure the reason it won't pass a short DST is because it's a Seagate, not because of the total data read.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
SSDs wear out a little bit from reads, but it's at a rate of something like a thousand reads disturbing the data enough to trigger one write. Maybe a bunch of thousands.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have three Enterprise keys bought from ebay. Just because of lame features like that "btw this only works on enterprise versions" pissing me off. I wish they still sold Ultimate Editions because using enterprise labeled software on home PC's isn't the intend way to use it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Enterprise edition for laptops, Deep Space Nine edition for desktops.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

but my SMART data makes the HDD look like a drive you'd expect to see from a heavy world community grid user.

If you're trying to analyze SMART data, make sure to check the manual for the drive as well. It's not necessarily a raw byte count being shown.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to find out what was waking up my computer besides the Event Viewer, which has the wake source as "Unknown"

I've disabled wake timers and my network devices from waking but my computer still woke up in the middle of the night twice last night, about an hour apart, and that was the first time it's done that in years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

powercfg /lastwake might point you in the right direction. Stuff in the task scheduler can pull the system out of sleep. I know windows media player likes to enable a scheduled job to wake the computer and sync the daily OTA tv schedule even if you don't have a tuner card.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there a way to find out what was waking up my computer besides the Event Viewer, which has the wake source as "Unknown"

I've disabled wake timers and my network devices from waking but my computer still woke up in the middle of the night twice last night, about an hour apart, and that was the first time it's done that in years.

powercfg /lastwake but I don't know if it has anything more than event viewer

windows update will schedule the pc to wake in the middle of the night (or whenever you're inactive) to do updates.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Having bought a Windows 10 Enterprise key off eBay, is there anywhere I can get a legit ISO without a Volume Licensing account?

Alternatively, can I go Pro using the media creation tool then upgrade to Enterprise via Change Product Key under Activation?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You can grab the Windows 10 Enterprise Trial and turn it into the full version.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've read that you can't upgrade evaluation installs in a couple of places - does that definitely work?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't actually done it, I have done it for server 2016 though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jack the Lad posted:

Alternatively, can I go Pro using the media creation tool then upgrade to Enterprise via Change Product Key under Activation?

This is very possible. I think I've always had to use the changepk.exe to make it work.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can simply switch the key after installing Windows 10. It turns into Enterprise and you don't even need to reboot or anything.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone obtained a 2016 server key this way?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

powercfg /lastwake might point you in the right direction. Stuff in the task scheduler can pull the system out of sleep. I know windows media player likes to enable a scheduled job to wake the computer and sync the daily OTA tv schedule even if you don't have a tuner card.

Lastwake doesn't give any information, just when the last wake happened, which I already know. I've tried setting my active hours to be overnight but I'm not expecting that to work since I didn't have a wake timer for updates anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm also disabling my keyboard because it was the only device with wake permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Every time this ever happens to me its the mouse/keyboard/network device. Go into device manager, click properties of each of those things and under Power Management, turn that off. Do the mouse, keyboard, and network card for sure.