Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Goin old school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think maybe the other guy was full of poo poo :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Howard looks he has a hangover from about a dozen different types of drugs

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh howard good lord

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Is Jimmy's PO Gordon from Sesame Street?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This episode tonight was all about people getting in over their heads. Makes you long for the uneventful episode of last week.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shitenshi posted:

This episode tonight was all about people getting in over their heads. Makes you long for the uneventful episode of last week.

Jimmy McGill has not even remotely begun to be in over his head and won't be until a child poisoning meth cook backs him against a wall and tells him that they're done when he says they're done.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Was that scene from the Breaking Bad timeline old footage or new footage?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

New, but I think in BB we see Sauls secretary shredding documents but Saul isn't there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jimmy McGill has not even remotely begun to be in over his head and won't be until a child poisoning meth cook backs him against a wall and tells him that they're done when he says they're done.

True that. He didn't seem fazed by that robbing. Was it even legal for him to go selling phones like that out at night? I want to think that could be part of his duties as earning commission, but it seemed about as legit as Mike helping the one pharmacist guy back in the day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Great episode. One of my favorite montages yet. Also kim with hair down

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Was one of the cell phone people Spooge?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was a good episode. Pretty tense all around. Curious where they’re going with throwing in a scene that takes place during Breaking Bad seemingly out of nowhere.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Shitenshi posted:

True that. He didn't seem fazed by that robbing. Was it even legal for him to go selling phones like that out at night? I want to think that could be part of his duties as earning commission, but it seemed about as legit as Mike helping the one pharmacist guy back in the day.

It wasn't legal because of the way he obtained the phones. He was overcharging for phones during the day, doing something with receipts to cover that up, and then using that extra money to buy the phones at regular price for himself so he could sell those at a premium as well.

If he was just reselling phones he bought regularly, then it would be perfectly legal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TOOT BOOT posted:

All new. I think one of the producers had let it slip before the season that we were getting some scenes this season that take place during BB, and that is probably what they meant

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I assumed he was faking sales receipts so he could sell the burner phones for cash and still have a paper trail to show his boss to account for the phones missing from inventory.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 4, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Selachian posted:

I assumed he was faking sales receipts so he could sell the burner phones for cash and still have a paper trail to show his boss to account for the phones missing from inventory.
Yeah I think this is more likely. Otherwise they would know he was buying large numbers of phones.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

New, it's set immediately before the start of the BB ep "Granite State".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Who played the German?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

In the BB-era scene, Saul grabs a box from behind the constitution. No doubt containing the alpine shepard boy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Who played the German?

A German actor named Rainer Bock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Regy Rusty posted:

Wonder what was wrong with that guy, seemed reasonable to me

Probably because he acted really cocky with his fancy laptop and clicked his laser range finder around a little bit and then said "I could do it in 7 months, actually, I could maybe do it in 6 because I'm so good." But he had no numbers to back anything up, especially his no blasting thing. The German guy was old school, knew what he was doing, gave hard numbers, knew the challenges of the plan, and didn't offer some pie in the sky seat of the pants timeline.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I watched the rest of the episode too

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That said it's a good thing I'm not in the business of building giant underground labs cause I'd be taken in by the first dude who said he could do it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel really bad for Howard. He was an unstoppable perfect machine, now he's a broken human.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i wonder if his tunnel to el paso was bs, because i saw what they were going for with the first guy but then he said he did something pretty hard in 17 weeks

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, it's one thing to dig a quick and dirty tunnel to run drugs through but it's entirely another thing to dig an underground facility to exact specifications. I have a feeling the first guy might have been a recommendation from some other cartel associate.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Tonight's episode was pretty funny. The first scene with Franchesca was alot of fun. I paused the screen on those photos on the wall of Saul's office - no Kim.

The way Jimmy pretended to be a busy man on the phone when his first customer walked in was hilarious to me.

The way this show manages to find pristine new early-00s budget cars for a rental car lot scene boggles my mind.

Was one of the kids that mugged Jimmy the same kid that Kim had defended earlier that day?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Randandal posted:

Was one of the kids that mugged Jimmy the same kid that Kim had defended earlier that day?

No. Those mugger kids were all white, the kid Kim defended was not

I was a little thrown off by the fact that the actress playing the girl Kim was defending (who was scared to go to court) looked like she was an Abercrombie and Fitch model. Usually the show is a little better than that at casting more realistically average looking people as New Mexico miscreant riffraff

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like the way this episode played with my heart even knowing Jimmy ends up as Saul. Seeing his plan work right up until it didn't because he stayed out there too long on his own, then through a combination of being scared by that, acknowledging that he's past his criminal prime, and being nurtured by Kim deciding to stay on the up and up and go to therapy, and then he runs into Howard to put him off therapy and later perhaps for the first time solidify his intention of becoming a criminal lawyer when he's got his law license back, while still thinking he can work like that alongside Kim.

This episode really had everything: Gus being the calculated professional, Kim being the best lawyer in either Breaking Bad or BCS but seeing her career about to crumble, and Jimmy going back and forth like I described above. A really fun episode and I'm expecting great things for the last few episodes of the season.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bbf2 posted:

No. Those mugger kids were all white, the kid Kim defended was not

I was a little thrown off by the fact that the actress playing the girl Kim was defending (who was scared to go to court) looked like she was an Abercrombie and Fitch model. Usually the show is a little better than that at casting more realistically average looking people as New Mexico miscreant riffraff

Given it was her first offense for what sounded like pot I dint get the impression she was a methhead or something.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

That was a good episode. Pretty tense all around. Curious where they’re going with throwing in a scene that takes place during Breaking Bad seemingly out of nowhere.

It's a thematic bookend. The episode starts with the unceremonious end of Saul Goodman's career and ends with Jimmy McGill first starts conceiving this new career in the first place.

Being reminded of how it ended also makes some scenes, like the one where Jimmy decides to go to therapy, much more painful, because you can see how close yet again Jimmy was to getting a more adjusted, better life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus I never thought it was possible Howard could look terrible, but he looked loving terrible.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo that first scene was so good, when the episode was loading and it showed a picture of Saul I thought they had just used a placeholder BB pic until the episode started and I realised they were doing this. It seemed like something we would only see in like a year or something and we just got it out of the blue half way through season four. And the way he was able to slip straight back into the character after five years but also let us see some Jimmy coming through was an incredible way to soften the transition.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus I never thought it was possible Howard could look terrible, but he looked loving terrible.

Howards actor was killing it there, like usual. That little hesitation where he's like "no, I dumped too much on Jimmy before not gonna do it again, let's just leave it at that" was real nice.

Also Saul is talking about his secretary needing a lawyer and hands her a card, saying "tell them Jimmy sent ya." Could be the first hint of where Kim ends up by Breaking Bad times. Defense attorney maybe, representing people who usually aren't major scumbags like Saul's clients?

Then there's whatever is up with that "Be at a phone (probably a payphone from the sound of it?) on November 12th at 3 p.m." instruction Saul gave her...

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 4, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I didn't think about the fact that Howard not dumping things on Jimmy was probably the result of his chat with Kim, but that's actually a really good observation and a really good touch on part of the writers.

It was really heartbreaking to see Howard in those conditions.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I miss a lot of stuff but that Howard bit was a pretty clear throughline to me.

My only new read on the Superlab architect storyline was that Gus already had a drat good idea how tough it would be and the challenges he was facing, and just wanted someone who wasn't going to sugarcoat it while also having the skills to execute it and the moral flexibility to do a shady job and be flown in to do it. I credit Gus with having the intelligence to really do homework on the property and as the property's owner it seems like a cakewalk to have it checked out legitimately even if he just says he's thinking of building in a basement level. Hell if he doesn't want to do that just DIY it himself and read up on the basics so that even if he doesn't have the expertise to build it he knows how to run the tests. My gut says that he had it inspected on a legit level while not really mapping out exactly what his plans are to that architect/engineer, then brings in the foreign expert to do it all completely off the books.

As has already been brought up the first guy's brief testing of the area, optimistic no blasting plan, lack of detail/thoroughness (not talking about reinforcing the building before really digging in), and lack of discretion by talking about a former job he did were all marks against him. Pointing out he'd done work for a drug cartel may also have been a big negative since Gus certainly wants to keep his operation/plans hidden from the cartel, so any connectivity there is a big downside.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo that episode was good. It didn't even feel too short, despite the fact that I could watch hours of this show at once. So much happened, so much was set up. I can't wait for the last 4 episodes.

Edit: also, Jimmy's mugging will likely be the impetus for him hiring Kuby (and Huell, full time). I'm betting we see Bill Burr before the season ends.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

I feel you on that, but a random assortment of humans always has a chance of a percentage of them being attractive and well put together, y'know? Just one above-average looking person here isn't all that unbelievable since, as you said, they usually cast more salt-of-the-earth folks for random appearances.

I got a real BB-style psych-up from that last line. Jimmy's path to Saul has never been clearer. He sort of loses his cool when asked what he's going to do when he's off probation, then regains focus and delivers this line, smoldering: "Yeah. Lawyer." He learned in this episode that he's good at dealing with all sorts of the criminal element, but he doesn't need to be risking his rear end out on the front lines (sort of like Walt & Jesse quickly learned in BB). The best way to do both is to do what he was trained to do: a combination of both Slippin' and litigatin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
2 me the bigger issue was the costuming of the people jimmy was sellin phones to, felt broad in a way the show usually isn't