Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm extremely excited to try out the modding possibilities for the new economy stuff. I really wish they'd make the various alternate starts their own thing rather than a civic slot though.

I remember on one dev stream, they brought up this idea and seemed... not exactly hostile, but dismissive of it. I don't think it's going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I could’ve sworn Wiz has talked about wanting to have a specific civic slot for those wonky origin-style picks. It’d be nice if everyone got to choose one, though maybe there should be a lot more of them first?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah you'd need to come up with a good half dozen at least that are sort of boring like "your homeworld starts with some neat modifier" for people who don't want a "unique" start.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Ach sure she's only keepin ye goin', ask her if she's ever been that stocious she cowped inty the sheuch.

Anyroad I agree with yousins sayin' you should be able to banjax a planet quare an' quick. If I skite over thonder an' then it takes a decade to kill some buck eejit culchies in the oxters of the galaxy, while my boyos are foundered on some auld hole, I'm left feelin' quare an scunnered. Pure ragin'.

She's now laughing herself silly about culchie planets shouting 'that's beautiful' so congratulations ya wee steek.

EDIT: She's decided that her next races is going to be the Steeks and Millies and I don't know what's going on.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah you'd need to come up with a good half dozen at least that are sort of boring like "your homeworld starts with some neat modifier" for people who don't want a "unique" start.

The abandoned fragment of ringworld start someone proposed in here would be proper cool.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hopefully it’ll be something that’s easier to do with the new planet system. I’m hopeful that through both the base game and some great mods that planets will be way more interesting than ever before.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's weird you can't colonise barren planets with robots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure how that'd work from a gameplay balance standpoint.

Unless you want to go full Space Empires and have domed colonies, gas giants be habitable and "none" be an option for a species's preferred atmosphere. Its an entirely different game at that point though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hobbesmaster posted:

Its an entirely different game at that point though.

Have you been reading these dev diaries?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Whens' the end game crisis supposed to start? I'm doing great in a relatively easy game and I've eaten a fallen empire, am way stronger than my neighbors, and have opened the L cluster (no baddies inside!). It's 2506 and I thought the end game was supposed to start in 2400s?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How are u posted:

Whens' the end game crisis supposed to start? I'm doing great in a relatively easy game and I've eaten a fallen empire, am way stronger than my neighbors, and have opened the L cluster (no baddies inside!). It's 2506 and I thought the end game was supposed to start in 2400s?

The game starts checking for them 50 years after the "end game" date, whatever that is set to.

Default is 2400, so 2450 for the earliest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm not sure how that'd work from a gameplay balance standpoint.

Unless you want to go full Space Empires and have domed colonies, gas giants be habitable and "none" be an option for a species's preferred atmosphere. Its an entirely different game at that point though.
If you mean balance as in it would benefit some builds over others only hardcore spiritualists and robot hive minds might be problems. If you mean balance as in the available workable land for energy plants etc. would skyrocket, with the new system you could make barren planets big but kinda lovely and/or require tech unlocks. Orbital Colony Management - allows robot colonisation on barren planets. Leads to environmental adaptation techs for gas giants, toxic worlds, frozen worlds, and lava worlds. Heck, allow the same for organic ascension.

If you mean war becomes very different when every system has multiple "colonies" then uh yeah hmm.

E: as below!

I still stand by it being weird though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 4, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Have you been reading these dev diaries?

Colonizable gas giants and barren planets would make every single system on the map inhabitable. I think thats a bigger change than anything else done so far. Colonies are rare at the moment.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ConfusedUs posted:

The game starts checking for them 50 years after the "end game" date, whatever that is set to.

Default is 2400, so 2450 for the earliest.

Oh hey I went and checked the game settings by acting like i was starting a new game (because it saves the settings you last used, right?) and it looks like I had end game starting at 2575 :laffo:

It's going to be a long 70 years...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Stick a "None" at the bottom that nets you a bonus regular civic. It's a presentation and expectation thing, so it's easier to pick out the weird funky civics and also means picking a weird civic is the assumption. But yes you'd need a few generics for people with just the default game or only one expansion, same as ascensions.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GunnerJ posted:

I want a start on a doomed planet / solar system where your planet or sun is going to explode after 25 ig years but in return you get some additional energy bonus from geothermal/solar activity. Basically forcing you to resettle at the start

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BabyFur Denny posted:

I want a start on a doomed planet / solar system where your planet or sun is going to explode after 25 ig years but in return you get some additional energy bonus from geothermal/solar activity. Basically forcing you to resettle at the start
There's a bunch of scifi where earth gets nuked and only the moon/mars colony survives. I'd like a start where you've got almost no pops on a low hab world but you start with bonus tech and an adjacent tomb world.

I'd also like a Lost Colony scenario. You start on an 80% hab planet with again only a few pops and a little extra tech. On the other side of the galaxy is an advanced start empire of your species. Hope you left on good terms!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ecological collapse scenario: homeworld starts with maxed out housing infrastructure and way more pops than can be housed, but starts with a malus to amenities/habitability/happiness from pollution, events over time will change what kind of planet it is, eventually becoming a tomb and then toxic world. On the other hand, you have huge emigration push from it and bonuses to the cost of claiming systems and growing colonies. Expand fast while taking advantage of your big starting industrial base, but don't become reliant on it!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Oh hey I went and checked the game settings by acting like i was starting a new game (because it saves the settings you last used, right?) and it looks like I had end game starting at 2575 :laffo:

It's going to be a long 70 years...

Unless you've upped crisis strength, you're probably best restarting to avoid staring at the game on FF for that time than immediately crushing the crisis when it erupts.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

There's a bunch of scifi where earth gets nuked and only the moon/mars colony survives. I'd like a start where you've got almost no pops on a low hab world but you start with bonus tech and an adjacent tomb world.

Millennium 2.0 represent

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Lost Colony starts with one or two robot pops but no tech to build more.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Stick a "None" at the bottom that nets you a bonus regular civic. It's a presentation and expectation thing, so it's easier to pick out the weird funky civics and also means picking a weird civic is the assumption. But yes you'd need a few generics for people with just the default game or only one expansion, same as ascensions.

I like the sound of that, though maybe allowing 3 civics could be gamebreaking in some way, I dunno.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pigbuster posted:

I like the sound of that, though maybe allowing 3 civics could be gamebreaking in some way, I dunno.

Origin civics tend to come with downsides rather than being straight bonuses so it's probably fine. Maybe some numbers would have to be adjusted downwards on the existing ones but the extra granularity is worthwhile I think, particularly with Gestalt empires which can be harder to distinguish from each other at times.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Splicer posted:

I'd also like a Lost Colony scenario. You start on an 80% hab planet with again only a few pops and a little extra tech. On the other side of the galaxy is an advanced start empire of your species. Hope you left on good terms!

Guilli's Planet Modifiers has a Lost Colony start that's pretty much what you described.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GunnerJ posted:

earth's unique start is that it has one big moon. That's it. Turns out not having one big moon, like a lot of planets, really is pretty lovely for tidal stability etc
start as a gas giant moon
start with abc homeworld modifier
start with xyz in your system
start with a precursor artifact (admittedly less appealing than in earlier versions)
start in a wormhole

hobbesmaster posted:

Colonizable gas giants and barren planets would make every single system on the map inhabitable. I think thats a bigger change than anything else done so far. Colonies are rare at the moment.

this could be tied into terraforming and megastructures. Both could require researching lower tier habitability stuff to get anywhere interesting, and living on a planet with no biosphere should be akin to building a habitat, just slightly cheaper and lower tech.

A fully built up uninhabitable planet could be able to hold more pops than an actual habitat, but it is just in the end a somewhat shittier option because of the expense and inefficiency of building so much infrastructure in a gravity well. In absolute terms it could be worse than habs, worse than regular planets, but better than nothing. Hypothetically it could be a good option for gaia starts and people who can't find planets with ok habitability and they need new planets quick in their space for some reason. If you have decent planets laying around it should probably be better to just grab those instead of having moon domes.

The absolute apex of terraforming tech could be a process where you take an uninhabitable world and make it alive. There could be restrictions like "no way dude this is a black hole system with one toxic world maybe you can throw down a cloud city but get ready to pay out the rear end keeping it alive."

Splicer posted:

this would be neat

wiz did you put in the Sol III you can discover but it's dinosaurs, so titanic life + reptile presapients? drat it man cmon. Sexy Planets DLC? Where's the fungus versions of the current biomes? Blue foliage and pink ice and stuff. That would be cool. Exotic plant version where the grass is red and trees are purple, etc.

Also there could be new modifiers like "young biosphere" where it's heavily reduced habitability but a huge bonus to society research and also cool Cambrian explosion events and stuff.
"Old biosphere" also gives +society and has real weird possible events, like your scientists have discovered life forms that evolved to extremely ridiculous borderline impossible niches and stuff. Now they're living in the reactor core so power efficiency is down, and whoops they got all over the stations in this system, and now the other normal colony that's in-system, and they might spread outside the system now, crap what do we do?
"hybrid biosphere" has two abiogenic events happening at some point and both lineages somehow survived. So a lot of weird differences in protein composition and stuff. Maybe some commensal life form that literally cannot interact with your colonists biologically, but it lives on or within their bodies on this planet and has ~effects that could be good or bad or creepy or awesome

I will buy Sexy Planets Pack it'll be awesome and also a great excuse for weird unique start civics and all that as well.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Start in a 'side area' like the L-gate and have a natural, stable wormhole to the rest of the galaxy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Start in a 'side area' like the L-gate and have a natural, stable wormhole to the rest of the galaxy.

I want this to be a game option where everyone starts in clusters that are linked via broken gateways, but as soon as the first one is repaired they all slowly start activating, giving anyone who doesn't have it already the gateway tech.

Basically a galaxy with dozens of L gates, but instead of dragons and grey goo it is clusters of other empires. And also dragons behind one of the gates.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The apex of terraforming is making black holes colonizable.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's weird you can't colonise barren planets with robots.

I've always wondered that too. I mean you can build a space station that can fly drones down through the atmosphere to collect minerals one barren worlds but it's somehow harder to start an automated factory with robots to run a colony.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thrasophius posted:

I've always wondered that too. I mean you can build a space station that can fly drones down through the atmosphere to collect minerals one barren worlds but it's somehow harder to start an automated factory with robots to run a colony.
A lot of this is just "gameplay logic" but I figure the outposts always represented like the one big exploitable thing on that planet, with the rest being completely ignored. But - and I can hear people already typing 'ah but consumer goods already covers this' - you could consider that a colony is probably giving you its NET minerals, not the gross, and is breaking a piece off for internal consumption, with the reward being flexibility, increased soft military power, etc.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pigbuster posted:

The apex of terraforming is making black holes colonizable.

http://revelationspace.wikia.com/wiki/Hades :pray:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Oh my god why isn't it Thursday yet

I NEED TO KNOW HOW GESTALT WORKS WIZZZZZZZZ

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I would love some more Reynoldsian content in the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Anticheese posted:

I would love some more Reynoldsian content in the game.
"You discover incontrovertible evidence that you and your entire empire - the Galaxy itself - are a glorified simulation. Some of your scientists speculate based on the observed resolution of the granular elements of reality that it's probably a $computer_assessment:call_steam_specs."

* Six pops gain Materialist ethics
* Six pops gain Singularitan trait
(But that means...! (Starts Basilisk event sequence))
(Is there a libertarian shortage? Send them to the cobalt mines. (Singulatarian pops are displaced or purged))

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

"You discover incontrovertible evidence that you and your entire empire - the Galaxy itself - are a glorified simulation. Some of your scientists speculate based on the observed resolution of the granular elements of reality that it's probably a $computer_assessment:call_steam_specs."

* Six pops gain Materialist ethics
* Six pops gain Singularitan trait
(But that means...! (Starts Basilisk event sequence))
(Is there a libertarian shortage? Send them to the cobalt mines. (Singulatarian pops are displaced or purged))

Needs a mass suicide option though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1037342069403078656

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Motherhonkin' moustaches. :stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I see you little screwdriver and wrench icon. Reveal your secrets.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

every time I see this icon I feel like the robot is giving a cheery little wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume that is assembly work, affecting how fast your robots grow.