Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i still don't know if vr is going to expand much beyond its current niche of "expensive but cool gimmick at best" but I sincerely hope it does, and encourage people in here who haven't yet to give it a try with a friend, or a store demo, or whatever else

it really is something, to wear one of those things and work in room scale with controllers, that can't be described in words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'll get cheaper. So far developers haven't really figured out how to make VR games that are as fun as the best non-VR games. Presumably it'll come with time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the demo for zoe vr kind of deflated my hype for it, since it worked like poo poo when I tried it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

considering VR had a big flash in the pan in the mid-90's, before it resurfaced in the 2010's, and amount it evolved since then, i would predict decent vr games in the year 2040

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I played Destiny on consoles I would probably be annoyed by their weird choice to use a cursor instead of just letting you button through the options.

I played it on PC though so it didn't matter

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope VR is a fad and dies soon because I can't do anything VR-related without becoming violently nauseous or coming away with a mindkilling migraine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

one of the weird things for me about VR tho is that I perceive depth better with my Vive on than I do looking at the real world

I'm amblyopic, so I shouldn't be getting any 3D picture at all (besides that implied by things like parallax and expected sizes), but for some reason I can actually visualize depth in some situations while wearing the headset

One of these days I'm actually gonna hit up a proper eye doctor and look into that some more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I've played on the Ps4 since it's free and it's the same MMO experience as always. Go to place, do quest and sidequest, get white equipment; go to new place, do quest and sidequest, get green equipment. Kill a thousand of the same enemies along the way.

Also, grenades are a cooldown skill for some reason? And very lame.

Shooting doesn't feel good either, I'd expect some crazy weapons from a sci-fi game but it's mostly the same with different colors.

I played the first Destiny so none of that is really a surprise. I'm mostly wondering if this one manages to have enough moments of interest in between the MMO-lite stuff that's baked into Destiny. I know Destiny 2 has been taking a serious beating for having really thin content and a huge pile of bullshit by Bungie, but I know they're trying to overhaul it with Forsaken.

I think what I'm really curious about would be the reactions from players who are generally in for the basic Destiny formula but felt like Destiny 2 was garbage enough to turn them away. I'm curious if Forsaken will be enough to fix that.

That said, it's gonna be like a month before I can really expect measured assessments. Like always, there's going to be the large group of people who love it for like a week or two before hitting a wall and realizing it's actually bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VR has three big things working against it right now -- you have to wear a big doofy headset to experience it, the visuals aren't up to current gen standards, and it causes motion sickness for many people. And you won't know if you're bothered by most of these things until you buy an expensive peripheral for yourself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My PSVR gives me headaches, not from the VR, but just from being a very heavy hat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

VR has three big things working against it right now -- you have to wear a big doofy headset to experience it, the visuals aren't up to current gen standards, and it causes motion sickness for many people. And you won't know if you're bothered by most of these things until you buy an expensive peripheral for yourself.

Yeah it definitely has the problem where word of mouth isn't quite enough; you have to experience it to be able to see if any of these three problems are a bother. 25 years ago that'd be fine, you'd go find a friend or store that had it; nowadays in the age of the Internet it's easier to not be bothered and just settle for a video

Which explains nothing about what it's like to become so immersed in VR you forget about reality for a brief moment, or how liberating that feeling is (at least to me, but hey, games are escapism, and what is VR if not an alternative universe)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We’re all skipping over what’s really important here- ZOE VR accurately places your viewpoint in the robot’s crotch

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone who gets motion sickness from regular games tried VR and found that it doesn't bother them? Because I do get sick from a lot of modern games, and I'm assuming it's pointless even to try VR for that reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

When I tried VR the only thing I thought about it was "I guess this is kind of neat". Definitely nothing worth spending my money on.

Then again I don't really get immersed in games and VR didn't really do anything special on that front to me either.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I won't be satisfied until we can be trapped in a MMO.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

the worst fate imaginable

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of, a couple of partygoers at the place i was hanging out this weekend put on david cronenberg's eXistenZ to watch and i only caught bits and pieces of it but it looked like a hoot and a holler.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of, a couple of partygoers at the place i was hanging out this weekend put on david cronenberg's eXistenZ to watch and i only caught bits and pieces of it but it looked like a hoot and a holler.

It's a good movie.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

the average goon would become an unstoppable god slayer with a massive harem if trapped in an mmo, trust me I've seen enough isekai

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When you really think about it, life is an MMO......

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

When you really think about it, life is an MMO......

The difference is that life can be good sometimes, unlike MMOs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Without hesitation I'd become history's greatest monster if it meant the promise of sweet epic loot in return.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cowcaster posted:

We had a good laugh at how bad the movie was watching it late at night.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oh hey they updated the graphics on Earthbound

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

none of the mmos that actually exist are ones i'd want to be trapped in

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Phantasium posted:

i would be ok being trapped in phantasy star online 2, but only as my fat neckbeard char

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

i would be ok being trapped in phantasy star online 2, but only as my fat neckbeard char

That would actually be somewhat horrible as you only have access to two floors, a team room, and your personal room when not committing genocide on multiple planets.

Phantasium posted:

Monkey's paw of VR gaming.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My eyes hurt after about 15 minutes of VR, so it's not something i'm interested in until they deal with the headsets.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when you live in an MMO do you live in a more realistic version of it where you still have to like eat and use the bathroom and sleep and you get tired after running for an hour or does it mimic the game mechanics more exactly

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Heartcatch posted:

That would actually be somewhat horrible as you only have access to two floors, a team room, and your personal room when not committing genocide on multiple planets.

So almost no difference to real life as MMO-nerd.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Played BFV on PS4 Pro and PC. Prefer PS4 version for some reason. I guess cause it's the target platform so they did more polish. PC version was a poo poo show but I guess it's the first day.

Probably not gonna buy this but the beta is kinda fun.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Andrast posted:

the worst SAO imaginable

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

al-azad posted:

It is because Sega of America wanted you to believe there's no slowing down. The first blurb on the back of the box is even SUPER SPEED. And SoA probably drives the entire vision for Sonic if not in the past then certainly now.

Sonic was never advertised for his speed in Japan, he's more of a smug rear end in a top hat who exudes confidence. The back of that box translates as "Screw the ordinary. I know what's important, so yeah, I'm pretty drat confidant."

SoA has done questionable marketing, that much I agree on (also lol at gigantic quarterly losses during the 32-bit era because of loving up this hard, they bled the whole company dry with their operations).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sign me up, love to spend money and be slurred upon

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

How unconventional lmao

Also that is the Richard Garfield, right?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
pay a visit to the artifact thread if you'd like to see people get hype to be exploited in real time

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Relax Or DIE posted:

pay a visit to the destiny 2 thread if you'd like to see people get hype to be exploited in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
excited to play valve's version of mtgo

• Locked thread