Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Forbes released an article about tr2 reviews, but surprise there are no reviews and the article is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Was it on one of the forbes contributor articles where they just let anyone post whatever? They're usually www.forbes.com/sites/someidiot/somecrap

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ahh k. Yes it was.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
First GF abandons 7nm, now the Saudis want to ditch it. What the hell is going on?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

First GF abandons 7nm, now the Saudis want to ditch it. What the hell is going on?

what about the saudi's ditching stuff?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yes, I thought the largest owner of Global Foundries was the Emirate of Abu Dhabi?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Whoops, wrong region. Either way, ATIC wants to ditch GF, which is interesting how close that coincides with GF throwing the towel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'd snark about GloFo being back under AMD again, but the Saudis just made online satire a crime worth five years in prison. (let me have this joke, damnit!)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i mean if the point of your royal slush fund is long term growth to weather the end of oil markets, you probably dont want to own a company that just announced that they are giving up on their long term future

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

i mean if the point of your royal slush fund is long term growth to weather the end of oil markets, you probably dont want to own a company that just announced that they are giving up on their long term future

I would have assumed that it was the other way around and they wanted to flip the company quick rather than sink another 10 billion dollars (or whatever) into developing a node that would take 5-10 years to pay off (assuming it would have paid off at all given that the only major customer publically interested was AMD).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/77816/amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-pro-and-athlon-pro-announcement-slides-leaked

AMD is gonna release pro versions of the 2k series, no surprise, but they are also releasing a "pro" version of that super cut down Athlon part.

which in no way is a professional anything

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Other than the Athlon one that is clearly aimed at the Pentium g-series, what's the purpose of this release?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Winks posted:

Other than the Athlon one that is clearly aimed at the Pentium g-series, what's the purpose of this release?

A different SKU that they're gonna sell directly to OEMs, for prices that compete with whatever discount scheme Intel is doing at the moment?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There's a chance zen2 won't hit until q3/q4 2019. I just wanted to buy a new computer. :(

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Khorne posted:

There's a chance zen2 won't hit until q3/q4 2019. I just wanted to buy a new computer. :(

With EPYC launching first and GloFo out of the 7nm hunt, 2h 2019 is the best bet. Best indicator of exactly when will be their estimates of back to school or holiday sales.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Khorne posted:

Same, this 4590 is starting to get long in the tooth and lmao at this point in picking up a 4790K.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Same, this 4590 is starting to get long in the tooth and lmao at this point in picking up a 4790K.

4770Ks are under $200 now

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

So is the 1800x.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah no, I'd rather save for a more up to date system than this aging 1150/H97 one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Yeah no, I'd rather save for a more up to date system than this aging 1150/H97 one.

You could get a 4770 for $125 and sell your 4590 for $75 (so probably $50 after fees/shipping), so $75 net for the upgrade. But yeah at some point you're throwing good money after bad, and H97 doesn't really have a very good upgrade path (no XMP on RAM and no overclocking). Turn it into a Plex server or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 7, 2018

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Almost exactly 10 years ago I bought around $300 worth of AMD stock after hearing someone here on Serious Hardware / Software Crap talk about how low it had become and advising that people buy it. AMD's stock later on got even worse. But now, my Etrade account says I have $1000+ in AMD stock. :eek:

But after seeing my $5 stock fall to $2 only a couple years ago and thinking it had all been a mistake, I don't want to go back to that position again. Should I sell, or stay? It's great having stocks that everyone's excited over but I have no idea what I'm doing :confuoot:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Khorne posted:

So is the 1800x.

DDR4 isn't.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ema Nymton posted:

Almost exactly 10 years ago I bought around $300 worth of AMD stock after hearing someone here on Serious Hardware / Software Crap talk about how low it had become and advising that people buy it. AMD's stock later on got even worse. But now, my Etrade account says I have $1000+ in AMD stock. :eek:

But after seeing my $5 stock fall to $2 only a couple years ago and thinking it had all been a mistake, I don't want to go back to that position again. Should I sell, or stay? It's great having stocks that everyone's excited over but I have no idea what I'm doing :confuoot:

If you are uncomfortable realize your gains, or sell off half. Never leave your money in an investment that makes you nervous. I personally think AMD could double again if Zen2 is solid (look at their full history, they have been at $40+ a few times). The market does not understand tech so the price is going to react very differently than you think it will. At Zen2's release it might go up after benchmarks but if stock is low and the profits aren't crazy the price could tank (and go back up next quarter when they had supplies and the earning report shows massive gains).

full disclosure: I own stock in AMD, I've also sold it off several times. My current plan is to watch it and sell if I get uncomfortable but right now I'm comfy holding it, but that does not mean that's right for you. Do not stress over your portfolio, if it causes you stress sell.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

You could get a 4770 for $125 and sell your 4590 for $75 (so probably $50 after fees/shipping), so $75 net for the upgrade. But yeah at some point you're throwing good money after bad, and H97 doesn't really have a very good upgrade path (no XMP on RAM and no overclocking). Turn it into a Plex server or something.

It's really one of those situations where I look back and grumble that I should have paid the Z97 tax.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, its real hard to predict what will happen to AMD at this point imo. Between the glofo/TSMC stuff, the collapse of the graphics divisions gaming competitiveness, the repeat cryptobubbling, the rise of deeplearning/compute, the resurgence of the CPU division, intel's process woes, intel entering the graphics market, the weird state of the console market ... a lot of unknowns out there.

Of course, unknowns do lead to market opportunities but it seems pretty risky to me either way.

Disclosure: i dont own any non-index fund stocks and i am a huge dipshit

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sell off your AMD stock right before they release their next GPU turd, then buy it back before they release Zen2.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nalin posted:

Sell off your AMD stock right before they release their next GPU turd, then buy it back before they release Zen2.

This didnt work for Vega and the zen+ release but cool hot take

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Risky Bisquick posted:

This didnt work for Vega and the zen+ release but cool hot take

They'll probably go down before zen2 and go above current again sometime after. If your don't want to catch the knife hold.

Or could all go bad. It could also keep going up. Tech stock is already tricky never mind when your have a company running underdog in two categories CPU and GPU.

I'm ignoring GPU, I don't think zen1 will hold market interest long enough for Zen2 profits to show up.

This is why I said do what got are comfortable with. I'm optimistic on AMDs future, but the market doesn't understand tech so that doesn't really matter.

edit: Honestly this thread seems to catch onto news several hours or days before the market, so if you keep an eye on this thread you'll probably have a good idea when to bail. I think most of this thread is optimistic about Zen2 and it's AMD's game to lose with pricing, unless it's a complete failure or Intel comes out with a surprise.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 8, 2018

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Winks posted:

With EPYC launching first and GloFo out of the 7nm hunt, 2h 2019 is the best bet. Best indicator of exactly when will be their estimates of back to school or holiday sales.

If the next EPYC launch is 7nm Zen2, there might be die-harvesting to threadrippers before Ryzen. Maybe.

E: The original release was ryzen, epyc, threadripper. Since they're announcing they'll release epyc first this go-around, it'll probably end up being Epyc, Threadripper, Ryzen in 2019.

Harik fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 8, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The next big AMD CPU reveal is probably the Zen2 7nm Epycs. But its reasonable to think that TSMC is going to be volume constrained at 7nm with Apple taking choice, and its reasonable to think they will have rough yields at first. So the rest of the Zen2 lineup is hard to say, other than "probably 2019"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently Intel is having supply constraints on the Xeon-SP, making HPE recommend Epyc to their customers at the moment. Ouch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh my god, you have no idea how happy that news makes me.

WE FINALLY HAVE COMPETITION!!!!!!!!!!! ACTUAL LEGITIMATE COMPETITION!!!!!!!!! IN THE X86 MARKET SPACE!!!!!!!!!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Intel is having supply constraints on the Xeon-SP, making HPE recommend Epyc to their customers at the moment. Ouch.
How the hell did they go from a dominant market position to such a tire fire?

In 20 years, are we going to be looking back wistfully to when Intel was competitive as we're stuck on the 5th zen3 refresh?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Harik posted:

In 20 years, are we going to be looking back wistfully to when Intel was competitive as we're stuck on the 5th zen3 refresh?

Not any chance, honestly; Intel has SO much more capital

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

Because they had the foresight to keep development on the P6 line going in the form of the Pentium M (Yonah) core in Israel while their American operations poo poo the bed with NetBurst and its farcically long pipeline that was only viable at 7 ghz or more.

It's been like 15 years but I remember when AMD came out with the Athlon X2 with the innovative crossbar that beat Intel to market when it came to multicore computing and the best Intel could muster was the Pentium D where its cores communicated with the FSB. This isn't the first time Intel backed itself into a corner with its business decisions.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Harik posted:

they are still insanely dominant in the server market. they are selling shitloads of those Scalable CPUs, up like 25% over last year

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Harik posted:

They bet literally everything on 10nm. These production shortages (which are not only affecting enterprise deliveries but also retail desktop CPUs, as indicated by rising retail prices, and laptops, as indicated by increasing lead times from manufacturers) are probably due to capacity constraints at their 14nm fabs due to having to not only manufacture CPUs but also the chips they planned to use their "spare" 14nm capacity for once CPUs moved over to 10nm, namely their new 300-series chipsets and their newest LTE modem for the new iPhones. Throw the new 8-core 9-series CPUs on top of that and you've got a recipe for massive supply shortages.

Edit: any bets on how long it takes until GlobalFoundries announces Intel as a new 14nm customer due to Intel desperately trying to keep up with all the demand for its products? :v:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 8, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

"How did they go from 95% share to 94.86% share?"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

fishmech posted:

"How did they go from 95% share to 94.86% share?"

Even Intel is forecasting AMD will take about 20% of the server CPU market next year. Depending on how well 7nm Epyc ends up performing, how well AMD can keep up with demand, and how long Intel's supply shortages last that could easily go higher. And while the server CPU market isn't a very large portion of the total CPU market it's a very profitable sector for Intel so losses in that sector will disproportionately impact Intel's bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr.Radar posted:

Even Intel is forecasting AMD will take about 20% of the server CPU market next year. Depending on how well 7nm Epyc ends up performing, how well AMD can keep up with demand, and how long Intel's supply shortages last that could easily go higher. And while the server CPU market isn't a very large portion of the total CPU market it's a very profitable sector for Intel so losses in that sector will disproportionately impact Intel's bottom line.

Server CPU sales offsets a lot of losses elsewhere in their financials, so taking a big hit there could do some interesting things to the Q3-19 numbers.