Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress. LOOK WHAT YOU ALL MADE ME DO!

ARE YOU HAPPY?

:getin:

I've been meaning to reply to you that you should absolutely get that second bike running. Especially if it might be a hot rod of sorts. 2 bikes is 300% better than one bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ARE YOU HAPPY? IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?!?!?!

Yes and yes, in that order.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ARE YOU HAPPY? IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?!?!?!

You crazy stupid bloody loving legend!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Oh hey check this out. Bike #1 is pmuch back in order.

http://imgur.com/a/LbqsYe5

Had do do some hackjob gauge parts Frankenstein rebuild, but it worked.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got rid of that daft eyelid and flyscreen finally.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Major cooling system refresh at 61k mi, found the skidplate cracked at the mount, picked it up by the mount and it broke off. Pretty lucky it did this at home.
Didn't have enough power in the garage to weld it myself, took it to a local machine shop that fixed it up for me.

back to the races starbucks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Major cooling system refresh at 61k mi, found the skidplate cracked at the mount, picked it up by the mount and it broke off. Pretty lucky it did this at home.
Didn't have enough power in the garage to weld it myself, took it to a local machine shop that fixed it up for me.

back to the races starbucks.

What're your thoughts on it after putting some miles on?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

I have the opposite problem. I had a 240v dryer plug installed in the garage when the house was built in case I wanted a big air compressor or welder.
I still have neither.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

What're your thoughts on it after putting some miles on?

Still loving it. roughly 13k so far, planning to roll 100k or more with it.

The power is lol offroad as the rear tire is perpetually spinning.
Onroad its a fantastic do everything bike.
It puts up with my shenanigans and begs for more.

Pros:
16/45 gearing makes it usable at low speeds. (1400rpm (idle) in first nets about 3-4mph) (6th is useless below 70mph/112kmh with a load)
Power for every occasion, and the noise.
Power below 6k is predictable and pulls tractorish offroad, and is pretty tame for road riding, get it over 7500ish and it pulls like getting a handjob from the hulk up to the ignition cut at 10k.
There's a few caveats with the old 950 platform but once they're sorted imo they're wonderful engines. (emissions, coolant pump, clutch slave, etc)
The carbs just. loving. work. from sealevel where I live to 2700m/9000 feet, below freezing, or in 45C/112F this is partly due to the restrictive airbox and the prefilter + sock that I run. Everytime I consider going EFI or an aftermarket filter system I forget about it on the next ride cause it just runs so good.
Ergos are almost perfect for my build, from short rides to 750 mile days, it doesn't kill me.
the weight is slung low and forward which sucks for sand/mud but works pretty awesome for bulldozing over things that I can't get it up for.
the suspension: 265mm travel on this one, it's currently sprung/valved for a (110kg) 240-250lb rider (i'm 77kg/170lb) and handles landings no 226kg/500lb bike ever should. Comfortable when I want it, taut when I need it. This moto is also on a 1.6" A60 front rim with Woody's spokes.. the stocker is 2.15"
The brakes loving rock. The rear master on the 950 is prone to problems and there's a recall for it, keep fresh rbf600 in it and you're golden. The fronts would stop my heavy rear end farm truck. They're responsive and provide feedback all the way into a front wheel lockup, it won't surprise you.
The bike is ridiculously easy to remove all the bodywork from and get it into service mode(tm), those crashbars aside.
Right now I'm running Mitas E-07 dakars with north of 10,000miles. they're not usable for offroad anymore but still are adequate for street. Decent rubber for most occasions. a knobbie will shred in roughly 1500mi.
Parts, they're so loving cheap. The stator cost me $212 from the dealer...dizzer was almost five-hundred-loving-dollars. Heads? they're under $200 typically...again, Drz can't touch that...

Cons:
The stock windscreen sucks at my height (1.8m/5'11") and resulted in a lot of buffeting, replaced with a shorty
the oem airbox is a small pain in the rear end to deal with but a dust free engine is a happy engine.
The crashbars are the biggest gripe I have about the bike, they're from sw-motech, largely superfluous as the tanks are made of fiberglass reinforced nylon. I keep em to protect the paintwork. I may sell em for hepco & becker oem style in the future for ease of maintenance.
lovely headlight (led projector conversion at somepoint)
It weighs right at 226kg/500lb which I don't mind much, but that's a negative point for some. It can be weight-weenied down to 450 or so. Meh, I'll skip a meal.
Not a con to me, but is to others. I see 30-38mpg typically, sometimes up to 42mpg. fuel range till the the light is roughly 150-170 miles, leaves me with ~1.2gal reserve, 5.8gal total capacity across two fuel tanks.

Issues I'm aware of:
it's an early model; it's a rattly dirtbike sounding motherfucker that'll barely build adequate oilpressure at idle when I give it a hot supper. (new camchain tensioners, dual fan w/ override helped some) (oil pressure relief spring next, maybe an oil cooler, the case is already tapped for it) (05+ received different counterbalancer gears that also help with noise) I don't too much care about the noise, but I'd rather not wipe the mains, alternatively raising the idle from 1400 to 1500ish also works. (it tends to idle low anyway)
splines on the output shaft are half-stripped, I keep em greased and an eye on the nut. if it strips I'm welding it, idgaf, i'm not opening this engine till the rods evacuate the case, and when it does, it's getting a 990 mill as they're relatively cheap and it shotguns all the technical updates at once. (head nuts, counterbalancer gears, shift drum, heads if I go new enough, etc)

Problems to date that has resulted in failed rides:
stator failure (58,804 mi) resulting in dead battery. replaced with genuine oem.
Problems to date that has resulted in mechanicals on rides:
chinesium fuel pump failure. replaced with facet 40171. Was able to limp to civilization keeping the tank full and removing the pump from the system.

These bikes are getting klr cheap in some models. I'd recommend them to anybody looking at soviet dualsports (xr, dr, klr) that want something with decent suspension and power with similar weight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stick to carbs, my experience of an efi 990 left me badly underwhelmed it felt and sounded horrible under 6000; the vtr1000 I had on hand at the time was better in every respect engine-wise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having a massive floppy, fragile ribbon cable formed over a 3D object and used as your primary connection for everything in the dash is all of the below:

1) A terrible idea
2) A great idea
3) The most Honda thing ever, in that Honda only ever stocks their most fragile parts for 3 nanoseconds after a bike is released and they change the part number every year so that thing being broken is basically peak Honda.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's also what every 90's japanese car has for an instrument cluster.

Like I'm not saying it's a good idea for a bike but that's a tried and tested design used in millions of vehicles. Again, vehicles that have an inside.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Having a massive floppy, fragile ribbon cable formed over a 3D object and used as your primary connection for everything in the dash is all of the below:

1) A terrible idea
2) A great idea
3) The most Honda thing ever, in that Honda only ever stocks their most fragile parts for 3 nanoseconds after a bike is released and they change the part number every year so that thing being broken is basically peak Honda.

I toyed with the idea of just drawing the traces on parchment paper with conductive ink. It would probably be stronger and less brittle than what's there now.

Also, that part was never stocked. You always had to buy a whole new dash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I stand corrected. THAT is peak Honda.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Apparently I won't be happy until I turn my BMW F800ST into a full dad bike. I added a Givi V40 top case because my son wanted a backrest and I wanted a place to store groceries.

I'm sure it will only take a few minutes to bolt the rack on... at least I finished before it got really dark. I miss my big American garage.

It doesn't ruin the entire look of the bike and its functional!

Did I mention how much I love having a real motorcycle GPS? It's beautiful! It can be easily seen, even in direct sunlight! It works out in the European wilderness where GPS signal is just a dream. The iPhone/Google Maps just doesn't cut it for me.

My favorite passenger gives the upgrades two thumbs up!

He's an ATGATT kind of kid. Sena Bluetooth communications really made all the difference getting him used to riding with me.
"Sharp left turn coming up. Don't freak out!"
"I'm freaking out!!"
"Why are you wiggling? Are you dancing?"
"Yeah! Riding is so exciting but also sort of boring"

I'm glad I can pull all the bags off with just a twist of a key. I love this bike!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Last Friday went to fill up and realized I'd just come up on 1,000km on the pseudo bandito. Just haven't been riding much this year at all :(

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took off the rear pegs since I’ll never have a passenger on this thing anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Swapped the subframe because the lovely PO cut the tail mounts off for some dumb reason.

Curiously, I forgot to take a before and after pic. So I just have a 'during' photo of an assless bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The one thing that is most interesting to me, but I have yet to verify, is that the PO claimed that it has an HRC cam in it. He also said it's bored out which is both exciting and terrifying. I'm not sure I'd want to touch someone else's franken-motor without some idea of parts availability. It would be really neat to have an 870cc VFR, but not if it is going to (or already did) grenade itself.

gently caress I just found a screenshot of the original CL ad.
Confirms my memory of the bike supposedly having a 900cc kit in it. I still don't believe it, but I guess we'll see...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress I just found a screenshot of the original CL ad.
Confirms my memory of the bike supposedly having a 900cc kit in it. I still don't believe it, but I guess we'll see...

That's a helluva deal. I've never heard of any modded-motor 4th or 5th gen viffers but :shrug: it's possible. It's more common with the 80's VF/VFRs which were sometimes used for racing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen a few people have a go at racing/tracking them, I don't know the specifics of the hardware but laptimes are comparable to a firestorm with similar amounts of money invested. They're reasonably light if you patiently peel off all the bullshit I'm told.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gorson posted:

That's a helluva deal. I've never heard of any modded-motor 4th or 5th gen viffers but :shrug: it's possible. It's more common with the 80's VF/VFRs which were sometimes used for racing.

lol the bike did not look like that when I bought it. It had been wrecked a few times, didn't run, all of the wiring melted, ECU fried, dash components fried, pretty sure all the brakes need rebuilt, the clutch slave looks like it's leaking rust, etc...
I paid $900 and even that was a stretch.

Slavvy posted:

I've seen a few people have a go at racing/tracking them, I don't know the specifics of the hardware but laptimes are comparable to a firestorm with similar amounts of money invested. They're reasonably light if you patiently peel off all the bullshit I'm told.

Good to know. I'll definitely lose a couple lbs worth of braking components when I de-link them. I think the front end swap will be about a 0 sum. I'm not really sure what else I could lose to save weight offhand though.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 6, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's usually a bunch of noise blankets and plastic shrouding and such you can safely throw in the bin, if you don't care about passengers you could also shave down the fairly beefy subframe.

And lose the fairings obviously :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

There's usually a bunch of noise blankets and plastic shrouding and such you can safely throw in the bin, if you don't care about passengers you could also shave down the fairly beefy subframe.

And lose the fairings obviously :v:

Oh yeah that poo poo is already gone. Most of it caught fire already anyway. The subframe looked beefy to me too but after replacing the one on the '99 I was surprised to find how light it was, considering.

I just googled 'Naked vfr800' and this came up:

meh... I guess I could live with that. It's not the UGLIEST bike naked.

nevermind.

This though...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 6, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of back wheel is that in the last picture? Looks like an nc24 by the spokes but they didn't have a 180 tyre. Vfr1200?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

What kind of back wheel is that in the last picture? Looks like an nc24 by the spokes but they didn't have a 180 tyre. Vfr1200?

Not sure, but afaik the 3rd gen wheels are a direct swap. So probably RC36.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

That's a 1990-93 VFR750 wheel (3rd gen). They look cool, but are pig heavy and expensive on the used market. I have a NC30 wheel on my project bike. Similar look but much lighter. Also: 18". VFR wheel is a 4 lug while the NC30 wheel has one big nut like the Hawk (not plug and play, spindle needs to be modified).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The 4th gen makes the best streetfighter. It doesn't have the ugly subframe of the 3rd gen or the side radiators of the fifth. If you can somehow reroute the cooling lines and wiring, it looks pretty nice:

(not mine)

Gorson fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 7, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Those bikes look cool, but I can't look at bikes and not think practically. How do I get 50 liters of luggage on that thing for a normal non camping weekend? And I refuse the concept of a backpack on a bike, it has a frame, it should take luggage.
How does it handle rain? Both of those will hose your back with road flotsam from the rear tire. They do have some front fenders, but the blue one could use a fenda extenda to not sandblast the exhaust pipes in the first rainfall.

I just wish I could enjoy these and Cafe bikes more, because I really like them, but my brain is broken by practicality.

Edit: just a thought, how much of the riding population even ride like that on purpose? ie in the rain, with luggage?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 7, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Supradog posted:

Edit: just a thought, how much of the riding population even ride like that on purpose? ie in the rain, with luggage?

I think less than 5%. I know I get crazy looks for taking the bike any time it's not perfect weather. Especially in the winter.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People at work offer me a ride home when it’s drizzling lol

I get why they’re like that tho, today it was raining and I was flying past highway traffic while only doing the speed limit. Everyone else was doing 45. Cause of a little water

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat dude step on that thing before it runs under the fridge and multiplies.

Last week I was on my way to the woods and stopped at a gas station. My buddy stopped me as we were leaving and said "Hey, that looks bad!"

Turns out when I'd pushed the brake line out of the way of the speedo, it ended up rubbing on the rotor, drat near all the way through in about 4 miles or less.

They were definitely due for replacement anyway, so I got some new Galfer braided steel lines on tonight.

Seems like it was easier than I remember to fill them. Are SS lines lower volume than stock rubber?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They sure are, the ID is like 3mm if that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mass effect 5 lookin low-budget

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I posted bike pics with fairings on in the other thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2895016&pagenumber=367

Putting the tank fairing on was a goddamn nightmare; I scratched some poo poo. I will have to take some pieces off again for a re-paint :<. I got the bags painted too, but that's less exciting. At some point I might re-paint the black plastic too; Just got to decide what color works well.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

put on some pypes

Agostini mufflers and a new map from someone in the guzzi community. They sound great, and the new map takes care of an annoying low throttle snatchyness (especially when warming up)

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 9, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God modern efi is great, the only problem left is cheap low level bikes don't have power commanders etc. Bikes really need to make that last jump to having OBD2 like cars so it becomes possible to fool around with the fuelling even on non-performance oriented/fancy bikes.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Slavvy posted:

God modern efi is great, the only problem left is cheap low level bikes don't have power commanders etc. Bikes really need to make that last jump to having OBD2 like cars so it becomes possible to fool around with the fuelling even on non-performance oriented/fancy bikes.

Most do. Though some use weird interfaces on the bike side. You just need the right adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most don't. Bmw and triumph (and Aprilia I think) are the only big brands that have OBD2. Like yeah they have plugs and some form of onboard diagnostics but it needs to be mandatory standardised like on cars.