Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Seriously, every single hospital I've had to this point the major bottleneck has been the GP's office. Having patients getting out of the diagnosis loop faster makes everything so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My kingdom for a chance to replace skills. Come on doc, just forget how to use an MRI

njsykora posted:

Seriously, every single hospital I've had to this point the major bottleneck has been the GP's office. Having patients getting out of the diagnosis loop faster makes everything so much easier.

Yes but then you lose the chance to manually clear 20 people for treatment, resulting in dissolving queues and a gigantic pile of money in a single stroke that borders on erotic.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My kingdom for a chance to replace skills. Come on doc, just forget how to use an MRI

After getting 3* on a level I decided to stay around and see if I could get the surgery V and psychiatry V kudosh.

I have decided that the only sane way to do that is to kneecap yourself because surgery/psychiatry give nowhere near enough experience per minute even at full tilt, so you have to stick your surgeon/psych in the GP office because that's where the most XP is.

However, when I decided this wasn't happening I had three receptions with a total queue of about 80 and about 10 GP office with 7 patients each. At +100% price. Because apparently the hospital was so good that naked theft was overlooked and my reputation stayed at cap.
:psyduck:

I want a send everyone home button for these situations.

Oh, and half the patients still required another diagnosis room even with GP 4 consultants and GP 5 senior consultants.
Game really needs reduced patient influx.

E: I'm not fully sure mega-scans are worth it compared to sticking your radiology doc into an X-ray and building more x-rays.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bought this game last night, and WOW is it exactly what I was looking for!

Super fun so far in all the same ways Theme Hospital was.

One question though, I played through the first hospital and was offered a second, but I declined for the moment so I could work my first one up to a higher level and star rating. When you accept a second hospital does the first go into stasis until you check back in on it, or does it keep running real-time?

If its the latter, how are you supposed to manage like 10 hospitals at a time in the late-game?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One question though, I played through the first hospital and was offered a second, but I declined for the moment so I could work my first one up to a higher level and star rating. When you accept a second hospital does the first go into stasis until you check back in on it, or does it keep running real-time?

Any hospitals you are not currently looking at are in stasis until you return. Research, kudosh, and your unlocked items are shared between hospitals however, so like another poster said, you can save time/money by using a previous hospital for research instead of constantly having to setup new research teams.

Research teams can be useful though in that they can simply print money if they run out of other things to research.

For the first 6 or so levels, you should definitely try to 3* your hospitals since you get access to new items, upgraded equipment and other goodies.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 4, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bought this game last night, and WOW is it exactly what I was looking for!

Super fun so far in all the same ways Theme Hospital was.

If its the latter, how are you supposed to manage like 10 hospitals at a time in the late-game?

It makes a savestate of the hospital when you go to the map screen, so you can switch as you please. Nothing in the other hospitals will change until you go back into it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Orange Devil posted:

A top GP can just straight up diagnose a lot of stuff on the patients first intake, no diagnosis rooms required.

A poo poo GP will have that patient ping-ponging around the whole place like a motherfucker.

If you have the money to burn ($45k to be exact) you can also stuff a shitton of medicine cabinets into a GP office and then literally any untrained doctor who uses it will basically be a max GP.

Of course most of the time you'll be putting in 5-15 medicine cabinets at most. It definitely does make a difference.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 4, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Spacedad posted:

If you have the money to burn ($45k to be exact) you can also stuff a shitton of medicine cabinets into a GP office and then literally any untrained doctor who uses it will basically be a max GP.

Of course most of the time you'll be putting in 5-15 medicine cabinets at most. It definitely does make a difference.

Are they really that effective? I haven't been including them because a 1% increase per isn't much of an increase.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's the only thing you get in a cold and indifferent world.

Also, a spoiler cuz it's kind of ruined things for me as I have no self control: gold star plaques are cheap at 300 a pop, small and have a disproportionately large impact on prestige. And they're available pretty much everywhere.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cool. Just had a bug where the popup info layer over pawns wouldnt despawn and overloaded the game. I had to hard quit out and now I can't open my probably 5 minutes to 3* Tumble. There's even a nice note saying 'you're probably going to blame the devs for this and you're right. sorry. you have to start over.'

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Check out C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Two Point Studios\Two Point Hospital\Cloud , your autosave backups should be there. I've had to rescue saves twice so far.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is it possible to go back to an old hospital and just raze it to 'start over' once you've gone ahead and unlocked new things? Sometimes I feel like that would be easier than trying to move everything around as I become better at the game.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

i would like the chance to reorder skills. my ocd is super set off if i have two doctors, one has GP1 > GP2 > Bedside and the other has GP1 > Bedside > GP2 :argh:

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is it possible to go back to an old hospital and just raze it to 'start over' once you've gone ahead and unlocked new things? Sometimes I feel like that would be easier than trying to move everything around as I become better at the game.

yeah there's a restart button once you load the hospital, look in the save menu. it reloads the map fresh with all of your global unlocks and stats

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

part of the game design is that you are supposed to revisit hospitals. sitting there and grinding out each hospital to three stars the first time you play it is definitely the wrong thing to do

each hospital is basically frozen in time until you come back to it so there's no pressure

another tip - don't build a treatment room until a patient needs it. not all diseases show up on each map!

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 4, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not only is this possible, but will probably become necessary later on as you repeatedly fail to stay afloat (Looking at you, Smogley :argh: )

The game really does ramp up the difficulty once you make it through Flemington.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Do 3 Star Mitton and Flottering right away though. The upgrades it gives are really important

L0VE
May 3, 2010
There's definitely some strange decisions from the developers in regards to balancing the layout of rooms. Having high prestige rooms is obviously supposed to be desirable (but in practice you want it low to avoid the flood of patients), yet difficult to get. If you use the minimum size for a room and stuff it full of normal items you tend to get to level 3. If you make sure to really squeeze things in, especially on the walls, you can sometimes reach level 4. Naturally this should push you to make larger rooms if you want higher prestige, which would be great if the developers hadn't included a low cost, low footprint item which by itself can take almost any minimum size room to prestige level 5. Even if this item was removed, other decorative items have no clear balance between cost/size to how much prestige it gives so it starts feeling like cost and prestige were just randomly generated for each item.

This isn't even mentioning the non-decorative items like anatomy posters and medicine cabinets, that provide a bonus to training or treatment. I think someone already mentioned the fact that not only do they stack, but are unlimited use. It's pretty nice to have a large training room where classes only take a couple of days and GP's with 99% diagnosis for everything, but it's really frustrating to feel like I'm punished for making normal rooms.

I also don't get the minimum sizes for rooms. Well I get the reason for not wanting players to make 1x1 or 2x2 rooms to optimize their space, but there is no reason to force 3x3 or 4x4 squares when most rooms have large machinery which already makes tiny rooms impossible. If they wanted players to make larger rooms, they could have put in a tile minimum instead of ensuring that every building is a square or rectangle. There is even an existing limit on where you can put the door to avoid too absurd looking rooms!

I think the intent is that players should want high prestige rooms so they get more patients so they get more money. Then having the high prestige rooms require more space, meaning fewer buildings to handle all the patients, requiring you to expand and buy up the empty land around you to build more buildings. It's just a shame that the current rate of patients is way too high and prestige too easy to get. Having too many patients is only a problem if they die before they can pay you enough to keep things running. Having mountains of dead littering the hospital grounds will in no way impact your hospitals reputation, patients are more than willing to die of preventable diseases for a chance to see that great looking fountain in the reception area.

Edit: I just went in to the game for a quick example of item strangeness. In a GP's office both the lamp and the weighing scales cost 300 $. The lamp gives twice the prestige of the scales, yet the scales will block off space in front of it, while the lamp does not.

L0VE fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 4, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is pretty easy (if expensive) to top out rooms at level 5, even the very small ones, by spamming high value wall decorations. It seems like there should definitely be a more aesthetically pleasing method though so all my GP offices don't look like an awards cabinet hellscape

L0VE
May 3, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is pretty easy (if expensive) to top out rooms at level 5, even the very small ones, by spamming high value wall decorations. It seems like there should definitely be a more aesthetically pleasing method though so all my GP offices don't look like an awards cabinet hellscape

I wouldn't call it expensive. It's 6000 $ for a 3x3 room without anything else in it to get level 5.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

L0VE posted:

It's just a shame that the current rate of patients is way too high and prestige too easy to get. Having too many patients is only a problem if they die before they can pay you enough to keep things running. Having mountains of dead littering the hospital grounds will in no way impact your hospitals reputation, patients are more than willing to die of preventable diseases for a chance to see that great looking fountain in the reception area.

:agreed:
Reputation is way too easy to obtain and maintain and patient influx is way too high. This makes floor space the most valuable resource there is because nothing is going to match sheer number of rooms for handling the barbarian hordes assaulting your hospital.

It doesn't help that patients are braindead morons. I often catch some idiot in a GP queue in the opposite building from where he should be, in a staff room only area of the hospital, because he was thirsty.
Note: every building has two drink machines and two snack machines already.

Of course, by the time he crossed all the hospital the people before him got processed so now everyone has to wait for the moron while he treks back through all the buildings again.
Slowly of course, because his morale cratered by being thirsty for the month it took him to reach the drinks machine.

E: and let's not talk about toilets. At least I can designate those as staff only in areas where patients should never be.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

L0VE posted:

I wouldn't call it expensive. It's 6000 $ for a 3x3 room without anything else in it to get level 5.

Expensive for the early game at least, especially in some of the more challenging hospitals.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The way I deal with the glut of patients is to periodically open the "patient" info tab, sort by "diagnosis", and just go down the list kicking everyone out who hasn't even had their initial GP consult yet until I'm down to a reasonable queue.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So restarting a hospital wont erase any global progress? If this bugged out location resets correctly my career might not be hamstrung.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

TK-42-1 posted:

So restarting a hospital wont erase any global progress? If this bugged out location resets correctly my career might not be hamstrung.

Correct

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TK-42-1 posted:

Yep, you'll have to redo the 1-star requirements before getting to the 2-star stuff but it doesn't take your star away.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are they really that effective? I haven't been including them because a 1% increase per isn't much of an increase.

I toss between 5-15 of them in every place I can and it essentially is like having a free level-up for everyone who works in it. I do notice a difference.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spacedad posted:

I toss between 5-15 of them in every place I can and it essentially is like having a free level-up for everyone who works in it. I do notice a difference.

Christ, I completely forgot that medical cabinet gives a bonus to Diagnoses. Gonna have to load em up tonight :clint:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So here's a cute touch:

Servers produce heat. A lot of it, in fact.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
New hotfix is in beta, expected to go live later this week.

Crashes

• Fixed crash on boot, caused by machines reporting that they don't support 720p

• Fixed crash on boot caused by invalid timezone

• Added logging to help track down further crashes

Saves

• Fixed majority of load fails (These were mostly caused by guest trainer or room building. The issue was most commonly seen in Mitten University)

• Fixed various cases of bad data getting in to save files

• Fall backs for characters that were saved in a bad state so that they can pick up what they were doing

AI

• Fixed some issues to do with characters getting the nav fail icon over their head for seemingly no reason

• Fixed characters sometimes switching between behaviors too often

• Fixed doctors behaving weirdly when being interrupted in operating theater

• Fixed characters sometimes teleporting out of rooms

• Fixed VIPs that slide around after loading a save

• Fixed Recurvery machine upgrade causing invalid interaction points, which could cause the room to become broken

Other

• Fixed item placement breaking when you have a clock over a fire extinguisher

• Fixed a occasional problem caused by items being moved to a blueprint

• Fixed localisation error in Settings screen (for German, Chinese and Polish)

• Replaced Denuvo anti-tamper with Steam DRM

That last item should cheer up a few posters I've seen in this thread.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can also get it right now from the Betas tab in Steam.

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Surprised they didn't fix the infinite money exploit, just tested and it still works.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Pretty sure room prestige makes your doctors feel good which makes them Better At Diagnosis which means you want room prestige.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Devil posted:

doctors feel good

Given how much of a slaughterhouse murder machine my hospitals tend to be mid-game (I usually turn them around by bruteforcing my patient pipeline) I think this is pretty close to the attitude of the doctors in my hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2DvPKh118

You can never have enough GP offices.

You can never have enough GP offices.

You can only overshoot the amount you need and close/open them as needed.

Even so I'm starting to slowly figure out the voodoo of the patient pipelines so I've wound up only using a dozen GPs or so instead of the absurd amount I was previously.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 4, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spacedad posted:

Given how much of a slaughterhouse murder machine my hospitals tend to be mid-game (I usually turn them around by bruteforcing my patient pipeline) I think this is pretty close to the attitude of the doctors in my hospital:

Yeah this game needs a Graveyard Keeper crossover.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I just 3-starred Flemington. I definitely think having dedicated areas for the GP-Diagnosis-GP loop works well for keeping things under control. Aside from that, the requirements for 3-stars don't seem that hard TBH.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's kind of stupid but I wish that diseases didn't fully manifest until they were actually diagnosed. It is a bit frustrating to see people lining up for a diagnosis and tests when some of them have LIGHTBULBS for HEADS.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's kind of stupid but I wish that diseases didn't fully manifest until they were actually diagnosed. It is a bit frustrating to see people lining up for a diagnosis and tests when some of them have LIGHTBULBS for HEADS.

I like to imagine there's variations of the disease, for example the doctor needs to figure out what wattage they are. :haw:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

Yeah this game needs a Graveyard Keeper crossover.

I can play the earlier levels without the halls becoming full of angry ghosts. The later ones I tend to bottleneck really bad on the patient intake and only turn it around by bruteforcing a bunch of intake. The reason for this is that I often lack the resources to expand as much as I need early enough. That's where the challenge is, of course.

Stuff that definitely helps though is upgrading your room bonuses and always be training your staff to max with a clear goal in mind for their roles with an RTS-like rhythym. I suggest aiming to have about 3 training areas running midgame. Alongside your research-only doctors who will be grinding for extra moneys. When you get a decent enough structures and staff you actually spend most of your time micromanaging staff upgrades & optimization.

This game appeals to me in the same way that 'They Are Billions' does. I think I'm about to start the last level that appears to just be hordemode and disaster-mode for this game.

The endgame of this game is more like a god-sim, paying with the map cam zoomed all the way out to see where problem areas are that you need to shore up.

It's a pretty brilliant game and I look forward to expansions, updates, DLC, sequels, etc.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 4, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah this gets me too. "We're only 85% sure that this man who has a tiny green head recessed into his body has Turtle Head syndrome. We could be wrong. What do you want to do doc?"

This is one of those suspension of disbelief things I'm okay with though. The new diseases are all pretty hilarious, I legit lol'd the first time I saw someone walking around with Animal Magnetism.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Yeah this gets me too. "We're only 85% sure that this man who has a tiny green head recessed into his body has Turtle Head syndrome. We could be wrong. What do you want to do doc?"

This is one of those suspension of disbelief things I'm okay with though. The new diseases are all pretty hilarious, I legit lol'd the first time I saw someone walking around with Animal Magnetism.

i just imagine that all the people of two point county are like kerbals, pretty dumb and reckless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

less than three posted:

I like to imagine there's variations of the disease, for example the doctor needs to figure out what wattage they are. :haw:

It's definitely this. :v: