Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

What kind of camera are you looking for? One to sit on a table with pan/tilt/zoom? A bullet cam for wall mounting to look at the door? Amcrest is the US division that sells foscam stuff now and they're alright for cheap stuff. I own a couple of foscam units for basic home ip cam stuff. The main thing is to block the camera from getting on the internet at your router because some of them phone home to provide a hosted always online streaming service, which while convenient for people who don't know better is also super insecure.

Yeah something super basic (even low FPS is fine) just to work as a monitor/security camera inside my apartment. Obviously IP connected and POE powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah something super basic (even low FPS is fine) just to work as a monitor/security camera inside my apartment. Obviously IP connected and POE powered.

The reason I was asking is because they have different form factors and if you need a suggestion you'll need to pick one. Also, if you have a price range in mind that's helpful, too.
tabletop ptz:
https://smile.amazon.com/Amcrest-Ethernet-Optional-Recording-IP2M-841E/dp/B01H2JSC6U/
ceiling style fixed:
https://smile.amazon.com/Foscam-FI9853EP-Weatherproof-Security-Detection/dp/B00NCR4DQA/
bullet cam:
https://smile.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-Security-Bullet/dp/B01M1EMS52/

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I bought into Hue due to the Labor Day sales, and I am pleased with the bulbs, the Hue app, and the HomeKit integration. In fact, Siri is useful for the first time ever. I have Google Homes in a couple rooms, and I have Hue associated with my Google accounts. The problem is that for whatever room I give a command to my Google Home, it affects every bulb.

Siri/HomeKit is fine. Hue is fine. Google is just being Google by being a janky half-baked piece of poo poo as usual.

Is there a trick to getting Google Home/Assistant to respecting the per-room bulb settings? I see in my Home Control area that each bulb/scene is a device affiliated with a room, but good ol' Google just can't parse what Siri can do effortlessly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Turnquiet posted:

I bought into Hue due to the Labor Day sales, and I am pleased with the bulbs, the Hue app, and the HomeKit integration. In fact, Siri is useful for the first time ever. I have Google Homes in a couple rooms, and I have Hue associated with my Google accounts. The problem is that for whatever room I give a command to my Google Home, it affects every bulb.

Siri/HomeKit is fine. Hue is fine. Google is just being Google by being a janky half-baked piece of poo poo as usual.

Is there a trick to getting Google Home/Assistant to respecting the per-room bulb settings? I see in my Home Control area that each bulb/scene is a device affiliated with a room, but good ol' Google just can't parse what Siri can do effortlessly.

You just assign the bulbs to the rooms in the Home app.

I mean, that's the way it is for every smart device I've used with a Google Home. I haven't used Hue though, maybe they do something weird. If that's the case, it's Hue being weird not Google.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

The reason I was asking is because they have different form factors and if you need a suggestion you'll need to pick one. Also, if you have a price range in mind that's helpful, too.
tabletop ptz:
https://smile.amazon.com/Amcrest-Ethernet-Optional-Recording-IP2M-841E/dp/B01H2JSC6U/
ceiling style fixed:
https://smile.amazon.com/Foscam-FI9853EP-Weatherproof-Security-Detection/dp/B00NCR4DQA/
bullet cam:
https://smile.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-Security-Bullet/dp/B01M1EMS52/

Thank you for all your help. One final question: do I need to get seperate software to dump from the camera to a nas? Or does that come with the camera?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Thank you for all your help. One final question: do I need to get seperate software to dump from the camera to a nas? Or does that come with the camera?

That will depend on the camera. The foscams I have can store on sd cards on the camera or FTP. I'm not sure every camera does FTP, some may have samba support. Many people use NVR software or a dedicated NVR box (usually a linux pc with custom distro) to grab the video stream from the camera and save where they want. I prefer this method myself because you can define different motion detection algorithms and lets you support multiple cameras viewed in one location more easily, but for one camera you probably won't need it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Are there any A8 sized smart bulbs that are HomeKit compatible? My wife bought 2 bedside lamps that take smaller bulbs that use the normal sized screw in. Preferably something without a hub.

Do you mean CA8? If so, look for E12 smart bulbs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone cares the new Hikvision firmwares/ivms4200 is a f'n pain in the rear end. I had to basically reset ivms on all my workstations to defaults and set everything back up thanks to the new firmware updates. Also, they removed pretty much all the CCD controls, you get auto and nothing else!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Got my first "What the gently caress?" moment on my Nest cam. Haven't even had it for a week yet. Some dude walks up to my house and takes photos.

Video Clip

edit: had to make it clickable, embedding didnt work.

Also anyone with Arlo cams getting a mean delay? My nest is near instant but I'm getting a several minute delay since I went on battery on my Arlo cam. When it was plugged in it had a 5 or so second delay.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Got my first "What the gently caress?" moment on my Nest cam. Haven't even had it for a week yet. Some dude walks up to my house and takes photos.

HOA?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Video Clip

edit: had to make it clickable, embedding didnt work.

Also anyone with Arlo cams getting a mean delay? My nest is near instant but I'm getting a several minute delay since I went on battery on my Arlo cam. When it was plugged in it had a 5 or so second delay.

There are a ton of possible reasons for this, as an fyi. Not sure which bucket this guy fits into, but could be someone from the county assessor's office updating their data for taxes, HOA, appraiser looking for comps, Yard guy looking for ideas, Insurance company updating records, etc. There are also sometimes people that see good ideas that they want to do with their house so will stop to take a picture. This guy had some kind of logo on his shirt, but couldn't tell what, from what he took pictures of I'd lean county assessor's office or appraiser, but he also had a lawnmower in his truck. So one additional possibility is that he has a future job coming up or has been asked to provide a quote for one, got the address wrong and came to your house instead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

King Burgundy posted:

There are a ton of possible reasons for this, as an fyi. Not sure which bucket this guy fits into, but could be someone from the county assessor's office updating their data for taxes, HOA, appraiser looking for comps, Yard guy looking for ideas, Insurance company updating records, etc. There are also sometimes people that see good ideas that they want to do with their house so will stop to take a picture. This guy had some kind of logo on his shirt, but couldn't tell what, from what he took pictures of I'd lean county assessor's office or appraiser, but he also had a lawnmower in his truck. So one additional possibility is that he has a future job coming up or has been asked to provide a quote for one, got the address wrong and came to your house instead.

Back of the guys shirt says taskeasy.com

Guy was harmless. Probably thought the rocks and lights were cool and snapped a few photos of them for another client or something.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
No HOA, i figured he was harmless. My first thought was a gardener looking for work. Just kinda my first "what the gently caress when I'm not home" moment. When I got home I looked at another camera and he knocked on the door. So I guess he was wanting to do some kind of business or something.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Got something weird maybe you can help with. I have a Google Home set up with SmartThings that controls four lights in my house. Yesterday morning it worked fine when my wife left for work. When she got home it kept telling her the lights weren't setup to work with Google Home. I get home and say the exact same thing she did, and now Google listens and turns on/off lights no problem. It always tells her they're not set up though. So I logged into the SmartThings account on her phone and linked it to her Google Home settings, she can see all the lights on her device list. She asks Google to turn on lights and Google says it can't reach SmartThings. I say the exact same thing and the lights work.

Obviously I need Google Home to work for people other than me (my mom usually takes care of our animals when we go out of town) but especially my wife who lives there. Any ideas?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Have your wife talk in a low manlike gruff voice. Problem solved.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Is there a recommended place to buy Hikvision cameras? The reviews of a lot of them on Amazon talk about needing hacked firmware because they're grey market.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Get some Dahua cams from empire technology on AliExpress. His prices include DHL shipping on most cameras so you get it within a week.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LordOfThePants posted:

Is there a recommended place to buy Hikvision cameras? The reviews of a lot of them on Amazon talk about needing hacked firmware because they're grey market.

It's supposed to be right in the model so for instance 2CD2342WD-I the WD stands for Western. I've not bought any grey market ones from Amazon but they have all been from about $110-$120 bux. Like this model: https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Me...words=hikvision

Hikvision will not support end user cameras, but that is not grey market. The firmwares do flash just fine. I think though from reading around, there is pretty much no warranty if you buy these as an end user.

Make drat sure you know the password you initially set. It's not easy to fix it. There is also a password lock out function that you should turn off right away.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 5, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Humerus posted:

Got something weird maybe you can help with. I have a Google Home set up with SmartThings that controls four lights in my house. Yesterday morning it worked fine when my wife left for work. When she got home it kept telling her the lights weren't setup to work with Google Home. I get home and say the exact same thing she did, and now Google listens and turns on/off lights no problem. It always tells her they're not set up though. So I logged into the SmartThings account on her phone and linked it to her Google Home settings, she can see all the lights on her device list. She asks Google to turn on lights and Google says it can't reach SmartThings. I say the exact same thing and the lights work.

Obviously I need Google Home to work for people other than me (my mom usually takes care of our animals when we go out of town) but especially my wife who lives there. Any ideas?

It's actually five lights.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's actually five lights.

Sure there are, Gul Madred.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Sure there are, Gul Madred.

David Warner knew a thing or two about home automation and security systems. He'd start with lasers, 8 o'clock, day one!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I spent a couple hours flashing my first Sonoff switch with the Tasmota firmware today. Now that I've got it figured out I can flash the rest of the 5 others I bought in about 5 minutes.

5 bucks + cost of sacrificial extension cord for a wifi-controllable, mqtt-enabled switch is pretty nice.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I spent a couple hours flashing my first Sonoff switch with the Tasmota firmware today. Now that I've got it figured out I can flash the rest of the 5 others I bought in about 5 minutes.

5 bucks + cost of sacrificial extension cord for a wifi-controllable, mqtt-enabled switch is pretty nice.

What are you using these for?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Moey posted:

What are you using these for?

Two lamps and an LED light strip project I'm working on and then just some extras to have just in case I want to really over-complicate some simple project at some point and not have to wait on Amazon to ship me stuff.

ickna
May 19, 2004

The tasmota firmware is awesome. I have flashed it to generic Wemos ESP8266 boards for easy deployment of temp and humidity sensors, and for the PWM output controlling a MOSFET board to dim LED strips, all via MQTT.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

didn't find a specific thread but this feels pretty home automation:

Any recommendations for a robo vac? I have hardwood floors, not a super large area but I have cats so it needs to be fairly heavy duty.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been reading about them a lot the past 24 hours just because of Roomba's release of the i7.

I haven't used it, but the 360 S6 seems like a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipanWnUhnEo

It's $330 at gearbest for the next few days.

If thats a bit too rich for you, the Deebot 79S seems like the best of the cheaper options.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve heard the Anker robo vacs are very good value.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The Wirecutter just updated their robo vac recommendation article https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does any recommend the TP link NC450 camera? Seems to be exactly what I’m after.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just went with a Roomba 690, thanks for the resources I had no idea Roomba released a new model that sparked a lot of review sites to update their poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thermopyle posted:

I've been reading about them a lot the past 24 hours just because of Roomba's release of the i7.

I haven't used it, but the 360 S6 seems like a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipanWnUhnEo

It's $330 at gearbest for the next few days.

If thats a bit too rich for you, the Deebot 79S seems like the best of the cheaper options.

That got looks awesome but my Deebot is still chugging away nicely. I just wish it had HomeKit.

Either way, robo vacuums are such a great quality of life thing.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Does any recommend the TP link NC450 camera? Seems to be exactly what I’m after.

When recording with an SD card, keep in mind that they aren't designed with continuous writes in mind. The lift span of an SD card in cameras can vary but most of the time you get three to six months of life before the card is dead. I wouldn't expect the camera to tell me it's dead and I would expect to have be swapping out cards every three months. Generally better cameras will get longer life but even then I would have a six month maintenance routine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thomamelas posted:

When recording with an SD card, keep in mind that they aren't designed with continuous writes in mind. The lift span of an SD card in cameras can vary but most of the time you get three to six months of life before the card is dead. I wouldn't expect the camera to tell me it's dead and I would expect to have be swapping out cards every three months. Generally better cameras will get longer life but even then I would have a six month maintenance routine.

I think long term I would get it to backup to a NAS so that shouldn’t be an issue. I assume I can easily block the camera from getting to the Internet via my router as well right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have a Deebot n79S that I don't mind. I wish I could set up boundaries for rooms for when I don't want it to wander but it cleans well and works with Google Assistant and while I could have paid a lot more, I don't feel I'd get anything worth the price difference.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I think long term I would get it to backup to a NAS so that shouldn’t be an issue. I assume I can easily block the camera from getting to the Internet via my router as well right?

You can block it from the internet. That is going to break the app that comes with it. It also makes the PTZ functionality kind of useless.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

I’m not sure I know the terminology for what I’m looking for:

My apartment has a dedicated button to open the front door to the building, and I want to connect something that allows me to trigger the switch over the internet. I’m not too picky about which protocol.

I don’t need a whole “smart doorbell”, just something I can wire in parallel with the switch that lets me also trip it over the internet.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

eshock posted:

I’m not sure I know the terminology for what I’m looking for:

My apartment has a dedicated button to open the front door to the building, and I want to connect something that allows me to trigger the switch over the internet. I’m not too picky about which protocol.

I don’t need a whole “smart doorbell”, just something I can wire in parallel with the switch that lets me also trip it over the internet.

https://youtu.be/afPxj0LS0LU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is anyone else's SmartThings app not responding? I can't seem to login to either app, which means my siren is now blaring while wrapped up in a towel and stuck in a closet because I can't disarm my system.

e: Apparently it's a thing https://community.smartthings.com/t/anyone-else-experiencing-the-outage/136312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SpartanIvy posted:

Is anyone else's SmartThings app not responding? I can't seem to login to either app, which means my siren is now blaring while wrapped up in a towel and stuck in a closet because I can't disarm my system.

e: Apparently it's a thing https://community.smartthings.com/t/anyone-else-experiencing-the-outage/136312

I'm quite happy I went with Vera over ST.