Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

WOTC is trying to get away from revisiting good mechanics and instead make up worse versions of those mechanics that they can give a new name.

Murder being used for a mediocre card that didn’t do anything cool is the biggest tragedy of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chill la Chill posted:

Murder being used for a mediocre card that didn’t do anything cool is the biggest tragedy of this.

It kills a creature what the gently caress else do you want it to do?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Jump-start is cool and good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The card Murder does exactly what it says it does

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

So why couldn't we have just gotten flashback instead of jump-start, again?

I mean, Jump Start just is Flashback with a wrinkle that gives it a little more interesting gameplay to it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lone Goat posted:

It kills a creature what the gently caress else do you want it to do?

It costs more and it should have some gravitas. Exile the creature perhaps, for it is not just killing, it is murder.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Seeing all these 1 and 2 toughness Boros cards have me worried about my fav guild. Mentor isn't going to be worth much with everyone dying to chump blocks and shocks

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

It costs more and it should have some gravitas. Exile the creature perhaps, for it is not just killing, it is murder.

murder is just killing

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Vaah posted:

Seeing all these 1 and 2 toughness Boros cards have me worried about my fav guild. Mentor isn't going to be worth much with everyone dying to chump blocks and shocks

At least the shocks cost 3?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jump-start is worse than both flashback and retrace, and not having separate jump-start costs is a dumb way to limit its flexibility.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Archenteron posted:

Maze's End Turbofog was Real and Cool and Strong and Was My Friend

Hi five mazes end buddy

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Kuiperdolin posted:

That sounds really fun and not at all a feelbad gotcha factory.

Yeah I honestly have no idea why they felt that it needed to check both on trigger and resolution. That's just stupid and chances are their stupid future league found a "combo" wherein you pump a creature before the trigger resolves and deemed it too strong for Standard. Which, given WotC's track record of knowing their own format, it probably wouldn't have been.

But now we will have five+ judge calls for this lovely ability at every prerelease, huzzah

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

murder is when you kill someone

the rest of that poo poo is something else entirely :doink:

gravitas lmao

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wasn't this supposed to be the first set with full play design input

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Chill la Chill posted:

It's fine in limited.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Katana Gomai posted:

Yeah I honestly have no idea why they felt that it needed to check both on trigger and resolution. That's just stupid and chances are their stupid future league found a "combo" wherein you pump a creature before the trigger resolves and deemed it too strong for Standard. Which, given WotC's track record of knowing their own format, it probably wouldn't have been.

But now we will have five+ judge calls for this lovely ability at every prerelease, huzzah

It's not clear it checks on trigger. We've only seen the reminder text for it. The official rules could easily say "... on target creature if it has less power."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Katana Gomai posted:

It's not clear it checks on trigger. We've only seen the reminder text for it. The official rules could easily say "... on target creature if it has less power."

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

wasn't this supposed to be the first set with full play design input

It’s the fall 2019 set that will be the first to have play design input since the beginning. They seriously work that far in advance. MaRo posted they were running drafts of the Fall 2020 set a few weeks back.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lone Goat posted:

murder is when you kill someone

the rest of that poo poo is something else entirely :doink:

gravitas lmao

Justifiable Homicide 1W
Instant

Destroy target creature that dealt combat damage to you or a creature or planeswalker you control this turn.

Manslaughter R
Instant

If you cast this card without paying its suspend cost, next time you would begin your turn, instead skip that turn.

Suspend 3-R
Deal 8 damage to a random creature you don't control.

Vehicular Homicide 1R
Instant

Deal 5 damage to each creature blocking or blocked by target vehicle you control.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I usually assume most creatures in magic die from manslaughter and not premeditated murder. Aside from BOP. You know that fucker is going down on their turn 1 so you have the lightning bolt ready

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Vehicular Homicide 1R
Instant

Deal 5 damage to each creature blocking or blocked by target vehicle you control.

:thunk:

fake e: also you obviously need 1st degree murder with suspend

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tulul posted:

:thunk:

fake e: also you obviously need 1st degree murder with suspend

Yeah I might have got it backwards on Manslaughter. My rationale was the suspend was an even greater randomizer, while hard casting it lets you be more selective (and thus lands you in "jail.") :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
where are the cards, come on

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

where are the cards, come on

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nothing more fun for the limited play environment than big dumb hexproof bodies at uncommon. can't get enough of the fun and good mechanic: hexproof

E: I guess at 5 toughness it's right at the point where it's a little more plausibly killable in combat. still my gripe stands

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 4, 2018

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Boooooooooo

Two keywords on a 1/1 and in the convoke colors could be a surprisingly high pick in draft, rustwing falcon didn't have a lot of mechanical support and was much better than I initially thought it would be. Between the new mentor mechanic, Legion's Landing and Pridemate, wouldn't shock me if it ended up in constructed as well.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
All I want is for Azor, the Lawbringer to be playable

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I didn't like the 1/1 flyer in Dominaria. What do you have to do to a 1/1 1CMC flyer to make it good? Because I don't feel like it's Lifelink, I value conditional Scry more than Lifelink.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A 1/1 flyer for 1 is almost universally bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

number one pta fan posted:

I didn't like the 1/1 flyer in Dominaria. What do you have to do to a 1/1 1CMC flyer to make it good? Because I don't feel like it's Lifelink, I value conditional Scry more than Lifelink.

Format dependent. Rule of thumb is such a card is bad, but if you have enough synergies(convoke/auras/other support), then it can be playable to good. I actually think this one looks fine, it does cause a 2 point every time it connects and can be obnoxious with auras. Basically I agree with Marketing New Brain

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

A 1/1 flyer for 1 is almost universally bad.

I like the one that hosed Settle.

Back when Settle was relevant in Standard.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Rustwing falcon is good because the 1/2 dodges all the ping in the format, and in the go wide red white deck represents a lava axe worth of damage after a trumpet blast or two

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag, Blood Crypt and Stomping Grounds will likely all be in the same standard...

You can't play an RRR spell along with a 2GB spell unless you're insanely greedy and you can't put Status//Statue in a deck unless you can reliably cast Statue.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/guilds-ravnica-mechanics-2018-09-04

"Mentor is an ability that triggers whenever the creature with mentor attacks. You choose another attacking creature with lesser power as the target. As the ability resolves, compare the powers of the two creatures again. If the target creature's power is still less than the power of the creature with mentor, put a +1/+1 counter on the target creature. If something happened in response to the mentor ability such that the target creature no longer has lesser power, the mentor ability won't do anything."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The 1/1 Flying Lifelink will be a reasonably high pick, because Convoke is great. Being able to use that card as effectively a mana dork for most of your high end is just awesome.

Also, Jump-start was either just Flashback, or it required you to discard a card and didn't require the mana on the second cast, and then was changed suddenly at the end of development. That's the only thing that really makes any sense for why these cards are so atrociously costed. 1UR, Discard a card, tap 2 creatures and dome the opponent for 4? That's pretty good. 2UURR, tap 2 creatures, dome the opponent for 4? That's a reasonable finisher. 2UURR, discard a card? Ick.

Yeah maybe there are prowess-type synergies that heavily reward being able to cast multiple instants and sorceries, but any synergy powerful enough that it'd require all the Jump-start cards to be that weak would be too powerful with just random non-Jump-start spells and, well, look at that lovely enchantment for the power level we're probably looking at.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

You can't play an RRR spell along with a 2GB spell unless you're insanely greedy and you can't put Status//Statue in a deck unless you can reliably cast Statue.

I'm pretty sure you can. The mana will probably be good enough. Chainwhirler doesn't have to be played on T3 to make it good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure you can. The mana will probably be good enough. Chainwhirler doesn't have to be played on T3 to make it good.

Definitely gonna need the second set to come out so we get the relevant red shocklands.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
To be fair, after seeing Firemind’s Research, we should have figured common Jumpstart was going to be costed like garbage. This is basically as expected.

Gonna have to wait for the full card list to see if they actually do something with the mechanic besides ‘bad Flashback with possible upside in Reanimator.’ Some of them will see limited play because any useful spell you can play twice is probably worth an extra mana symbol in most limited formats that don’t just get you run over for trying it but.. I mean... I see you there, Boros.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There will be relevant jumpstart cards, we just haven't seen anything other than limited fodder yet. If the real preview week wraps up and we haven't seen anything good with the mechanic, I'll start to worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

number one pta fan posted:

At common? Maybe Exalted would be reasonable (or uncommon).