Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I imagine everyone here is taking their time and has noticed this anyways, but-- don't just rely on the sidequest map markers when you're traveling around town. There's all kinds of hidden cool stuff around and NPCs will have little tasks for you sometimes that aren't counted as actual "quests".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

get off work in like half an hour then it's this until 2am

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shypox is pretty funny, there's a lot of variety in the things you get embarrassed about.

I also really like how the reduced experience works, it's extremely strict so as soon as I left the first town I'm already getting 0 xp from most enemies. No grinding or getting overleveled for me!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Barely started and only fought my first Slimes but drat this game is gorgeous.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kongming posted:

goo-orgeous

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Played an hour or so, game seems real good so far. Some gamer tips: bump camera move speed to maximum, and set battle camera to Classic. The default camera is weird and you have full freedom of movement of your character, but I can't see why you'd want that (unless there's stuff later on that requires it obviously). The classic camera is much easier to tell what's happening in battle
There's a loading screen tip that says it's entirely cosmetic.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game is extremely beautiful but I gotta say the composer is something else.

Be careful, can't share those midis dog

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kongming posted:

The monster design and animation is so wonderful. I'm definitely making it a point to fight every enemy type i can because it's so nice watching them bounce around. Also the bestiary entries are really funny

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

goferchan posted:

The monster design and animation is so wonderful. I'm definitely making it a point to fight every enemy type i can because it's so nice watching them bounce around. Also the bestiary entries are really funny

I laughed for a good while when I first ran into a Cruelcumber.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the cruelcumber death animation is so good lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The DQ localizations since the DS remakes have been godlike and I'm very excited to see the new pun monster names in XI

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

This game is extremely beautiful but I gotta say the composer is something else.

The music is insanely good. I just got to the third town and it's my poo poo, just wish I could stream it for everyone to enjoy

edit: oh my god everyone here talks like entirely in haiku. DQ regional accents are always good but this is something else

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
is anyone doing the draconian quest stuff off the bat. seems like something better saved for subsequent runs but i am increasingly honest with myself that i won't replay jrpgs any more no matter how much i like them

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I'm doing harder enemies/reduced exp from weak enemies/no running. I almost died to the first miniboss lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Milkman posted:

is anyone doing the draconian quest stuff off the bat. seems like something better saved for subsequent runs but i am increasingly honest with myself that i won't replay jrpgs any more no matter how much i like them

I'm doing Shypox and reduced experience

No Shopping or No Armor seem like they'd be the least suited to a first playthrough

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Milkman posted:

I'm kind of wishing I did harder enemies for what it's worth but it's too late to start over now

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

its cool he got the rights to his work

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I always get nervous picking difficulty options cause who knows how things are gonna end up scaling in the late game.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I don't play DQ for this kind of gameplay, that's more SMT for me. I like that it's an option though. Enjoy, imps. This is amazing.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Dragon Quest Autumn is finally upon us.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The more I play of this the more No Shopping doesn't seem like it would be a problem

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The more I play of this the more No Shopping doesn't seem like it would be a problem

Yeah you always seem to find a recipe to craft a potentially better version of any item as soon as it shows up in a shop, so far

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The shops are just for people who aren't looking in every bookshelf and completing every sidequest. It's pretty well balanced.

Crafting is cool, I love the balance of skill and luck it takes to get a +3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

man there is no point in letting the characters move around freely, it just looks really awkward..immediately turned that off lol

i thought it would lock the screen dq5 style if I turned it off but it just disables the goofy movement. i love how the skilltree was done

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

man there is no point in letting the characters move around freely, it just looks really awkward..immediately turned that off lol

i thought it would lock the screen dq5 style if I turned it off but it just disables the goofy movement. i love how the skilltree was done

Me too and I love that respeccing is cheap and unlimited lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

Me too and I love that respeccing is cheap and unlimited lol

oh thank god. i needed that in dq8 so bad

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The skill tree reminds me of the mantra grid from DDS2 which is my favorite skill tree ever

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
just got to the title credits :kimchi:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[early game (pre-Hotto) spoilers] When you return to Cobblestone is a serious kick in the balls. Everything about it. What a fantastic sequence.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

To no one's surprise, boomerangs are still excellent even if you aren't specced into them

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I can't stop holding down the dash button the make things scatter everywhere

Help

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

To no one's surprise, boomerangs are still excellent even if you aren't specced into them

Yeah I like how you can determine who gets the full brunt of damage instead of it just decreasing left-to-right across the enemies like it used to. Except right-to-left in this game because the boomerang user is left-handed. Also I just got a party member who uses whips and no surprise they kick rear end as well

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like 1/4 of the Shypox lines involve the hero stressing out about his hair

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i still wanna know what those weird cute little ghosts are! they weren't in any other games right? they featured in the title card cutscene pretty heavily and i keep spotting them but they disappear when I get close and i can't interact with them.

Also man just made it to the 4th town and everything keeps getting better and better. Beautiful game

edit: also has anyone else found a mysterious ancient book on a bookshelf that gives you a message like "You don't feel like you're ready for this yet"? definitely writing down the locations of those suckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyarlabaoth
Jul 12, 2017

Just played a bit, gonna wait until the weekend to start properly since I don't know a thing about DQs battle system but the game looks incredible so far.