Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Martman posted:

Only recently learned that croberts was a producer on Lord of War. Lots of people say this movie was underrated and really good and stuff. Croberts... good at movies??

Being a producer on a movie can mean as little as "put up some money/convinced people to put up some money"

Doesn't mean they have anything at all to do with actually making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I don't usually archer r/aww, but here we are

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Holy poo poo the episode Death in the Morning was my favourite thing I'd seen on TV when I was a kid.
I'd forgotten this show existed. Thank you!

:hfive:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Hav posted:

Oldest joke on record was a butt joke. 1900 BC, Sumerian.

Language may have formed as a way to blame farts on nearby animals.
Hell, here's a list of jokes from 1600 years ago, and some of them are still funny today:
http://www.stoa.org/diotima/anthology/quinn_jokes.shtml

#115. An Abderite saw a eunuch talking with a woman and asked him if she was his wife. When he replied that eunuchs can't have wives, the Abderite asked: "So is she your daughter?" (An Abderite was someone from Abdera, apparently they were the butt of quite a few jokes.)

#201. A man, just back from a trip abroad, went to an incompetent fortune-teller. He asked about his family, and the fortune-teller replied: "Everyone is fine, especially your father." When the man objected that his father had been dead for ten years, the reply came: "You have no clue who your real father is."

#202. An incompetent astrologer cast a boy's horoscope and said: "He will be a lawyer, then a city-official, then a governor." But when this child died, the mother confronted the astrologer: "He's dead -- the one you said was going to be a lawyer and an official and a governor." "By his holy memory," he replied, "if he had lived, he would have been all of those things!"

#204. An incompetent astrologer cast a man's horoscope and said: "You are unable to father children." When the man objected that he had seven kids, the astrologer replied: "Look after them well."

#219. A glutton betrothed his daughter to another glutton. Asked what he was giving her as a dowry, he replied: "A house whose windows face the bakery."

That last joke could easily be a thread joke about Ben Lesnick, with only minimal re-wording required.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
This is a sad state of affairs. Hopefully Citizen Con won't suffer too much because the people who crowdfunded the game weren't willing to crowdfund the promotional event for the game they crowdfunded.

crowdfund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saladin Rising posted:

#201. A man, just back from a trip abroad, went to an incompetent fortune-teller. He asked about his family, and the fortune-teller replied: "Everyone is fine, especially your father." When the man objected that his father had been dead for ten years, the reply came: "You have no clue who your real father is."

I'm totally stealing this one.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Saladin Rising posted:

Hell, here's a list of jokes from 1600 years ago, and some of them are still funny today:

#115. An Abderite saw a eunuch talking with a woman and asked him if she was his wife. When he replied that eunuchs can't have wives, the Abderite asked: "So is she your daughter?" (An Abderite was someone from Abdera, apparently they were the butt of quite a few jokes.)

“What is the deal with these Abderites?”

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ZekeNY posted:

“What is the deal with these Abderites?”

The Pope, A Rabbi and an Abderite walk into a bar....

Edit: In CDPR have no idea how to develop games news; https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/02/gwent-thronbreaker-the-witcher-tales-announced-release-date/

quote:

To be clear, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales isn't merely a card game, it's an RPG based around Gwent. You won't need to purchase Gwent: The Witcher Card Game to play it, and it will be a full-fledged experience that offers over 30 hours of content.

In it, you play as Meve, the queen of Lyria and Rivia (more on the character here) in a military campaign. Over the course of the game, not only will you be dueling it out in many Gwent games, but you'll be making decisions that impact the game and leveling up your character, your gear, and your camp of units.

CD Projekt Red has said that more campaigns could follow if Thronebreaker is a success, but for now, there is only this one, which will focus on the Northern Realms.

A minigame takes on a life of it's own.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 4, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martman posted:

Only recently learned that croberts was a producer on Lord of War. Lots of people say this movie was underrated and really good and stuff. Croberts... good at movies??

A producer

A as in one of several, and producer as in, heh, work in arranging and holding accountable a lot of the moving parts of a creative team in the same way a game publisher oversees a game studio

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:laugh:

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Martman posted:

Being a producer usually means your company put up money. It can mean you help organize the people and companies that all come together to make a movie. It can confer creative control but most producers just put up money and take a cut of the box office.

Knowing Chris's great skill at creating movies when he has full control, his magnum opus WC: the movie, we can easily determine which of these he was.

Citcon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 4, 2018

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Thanks for that!

Looks like AdzAdama is received with benign indifference by his fellow citizens; mostly nobody engages with him at all, and if anyone does, it's just one pleasant and low-key exchange. That's a healthier atmosphere than I expected from their community, to be honest.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - From Frankfurt with Love

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Citcon posted:

Being a producer usually means your company put up money. It can mean you help organize the people and companies that all come together to make a movie. It can confer creative control but most producers just put up money and take a cut of the box office.

Knowing Chris's great skill at creating movies when he has full control, his magnum opus WC: the movie, we can easily determine which of these he was.

http://www.ascendantpictures.com/team.html

I like the 'Coming Soon' page.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Saladin Rising posted:

#202. An incompetent astrologer cast a boy's horoscope and said: "He will be a lawyer, then a city-official, then a governor." But when this child died, the mother confronted the astrologer: "He's dead -- the one you said was going to be a lawyer and an official and a governor." "By his holy memory," he replied, "if he had lived, he would have been all of those things!"

#204. An incompetent astrologer cast a man's horoscope and said: "You are unable to father children." When the man objected that he had seven kids, the astrologer replied: "Look after them well."

#219. A glutton betrothed his daughter to another glutton. Asked what he was giving her as a dowry, he replied: "A house whose windows face the bakery."

That last joke could easily be a thread joke about Ben Lesnick, with only minimal re-wording required.

It took me like five minutes to get the Abderite joke. I might be an Abderite.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

what a god damned boring, abysmal waste this is

how is this longer and more acute than their actual weekly news series now

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

It took me like five minutes to get the Abderite joke. I might be an Abderite.

You are an intellectual:

#43. When an intellectual was told by someone, "Your beard is now coming in," he went to the rear-entrance and waited for it. Another intellectual asked what he was doing. Once he heard the whole story, he said: "I'm not surprised that people say we lack common sense. How do you know that it's not coming in by the other gate?"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

im not mad

ididmypart.gif

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

nawledgelambo posted:

what a god damned boring, abysmal waste this is

how is this longer and more acute than their actual weekly news series now

The first several questions are dull, and one had already be answered on a prior show.

The last one though is probably one of the most important ones asked on the show.

“What is the next Star System after Stanton?”

Papy pretty much kills any theorycrafter fantasies about there being multiple Star Systems in simultaneous development right there. He then mentions that Nyx might get added next, even though it’s not adjacent to Stanton, since at least Delamar & Levski are done. It’s all up to Chris.

Lando, Sean Tracy and Chris in particular have all been guilty at various times of the “Star Citizen has hundreds of Star Systems” whopper. Papy’s just like “Nope.”

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I had to google tessa whatever her name is and it turns out she's the woman who speaks to you in space who was in the game years ago, wtf I can't even why is this being talked about?

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

peter gabriel posted:

I had to google tessa whatever her name is and it turns out she's the woman who speaks to you in space who was in the game years ago, wtf I can't even why is this being talked about?

its that or big bennys

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Citcon posted:

its that or big bennys

It's loving bizarre,
HEY HOW ABOUT THAT HANGER FISK TANK U GUYS???

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I clicked on a random time and they were discussing whether or not ships would be equipped with alarms to let you know when your cargo hold was in the process of depressurizing, as if that were eminently relevant content discussion

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, that’s the question Luke Pressley answered awhile back. Having Haddock answer it a second time, and say, “Well, we only captured her audio so we’re not sure yet if we’ll do it again with facial capture, or someone else, or what?” just reminds viewers how ad hoc it all is. Twice.

The best part of that segment was Lando’s call dump. I :lol:’d.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

This is literally the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen someone do to a coworker in my life

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is literally the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen someone do to a coworker in my life

It was so obnoxious I couldn’t help but laugh. He’s very convincing as a jackass. With friends like these...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

By the by, the actual lesson isn't beware of kickstarters, it's beware of 90s developers kickstarting games.

(This includes Jullian Gallop until I see something meaningful)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

Yeah, that’s the question Luke Pressley answered awhile back. Having Haddock answer it a second time, and say, “Well, we only captured her audio so we’re not sure yet if we’ll do it again with facial capture, or someone else, or what?” just reminds viewers how ad hoc it all is. Twice.

I liked:

:v: so what's terra
:saddowns: it's like earth
:v: and wha's pira, piro, pirathingy
:saddowns: that's pirate land

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Deep cut from user bleh salt bleh there.

Very nice.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

It was so obnoxious I couldn’t help but laugh. He’s very convincing as a jackass. With friends like these...

Its just amazing to be that callous and then release that footage. NOBODY at CIG thought that was a bad idea, or makes the company look loving stupid?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

By the by, the actual lesson isn't beware of kickstarters, it's beware of 90s developers kickstarting games.

There’s something about phoenix point. It looks great, but...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hav posted:

The Pope, A Rabbi and an Abderite walk into a bar....

Edit: In CDPR have no idea how to develop games news; https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/09/02/gwent-thronbreaker-the-witcher-tales-announced-release-date/

A minigame takes on a life of it's own.

Chris Roberts's Star Citizen Space Mine Crafting Adventures Vol. 1

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its just amazing to be that callous and then release that footage. NOBODY at CIG thought that was a bad idea, or makes the company look loving stupid?

It’s the same Lando that does Mr. Roper audience mugging after Chris explains why he should be excused for lying to backers for years.

Outside of the CIG LA bubble, I think lots of folks in the company wince and cringe at the overt jerkiness. But what can they gonna do? It’s a CIG LA thang!

In unrelated news since it involves badassfun looking space games, the new Rebel Galaxy Outlaw gameplay trailer kicks rear end.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

FIGHT ME!!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

Can you imagine having four to five hundred people working for you and having had over 190 million dollars invested in you and you still don't really have a set design document?

Crazy. Waste of money and peoples time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

In unrelated news since it involves badassfun looking space games, the new Rebel Galaxy Outlaw gameplay trailer kicks rear end.

:lol: I just spotted this:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Ok, Battlefield 5 is sounding really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZW4cPUIVf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry