Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

The worst of all those loving shows. Just garbage. Possibly the maddest I've ever been at TV before of since.

Didn't they kill off their main character to drum up interest partway through? They definitely tried to make some suggestion that the kidnapping/disappearance of a politician's wife might tie in to the literal Book of Revelations end of the world, I remember that much.

But the one thing I remember about Vanished was a suggestion that it's central mystery might be resolved on then (then) next season of Bones (narrator: it wasn't).

quote:

This show loving ruled, and at least it tied up the plot of the first season. It was good poo poo.

It was very solid stuff. One of that era of shows that was probably a bit ahead of the curve and suffered for it.

X-O posted:

EDIT: poo poo, he did My Own Worst Enemy too. And Karen Sisco. OK I need to keep better track of this dude.

I'd like to see Karen Sisco because I like Elmore Leonard and I like Out of Sight. I enjoyed that they gave Gugino a cameo on Justified.

You had Justified, you have Get Shorty, so my question is, where's the Elmoreverse, tv? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

Makes sense. I did not know that.

EDIT: poo poo, he did My Own Worst Enemy too. And Karen Sisco. OK I need to keep better track of this dude.

Don’t forget Lucky Number Slevin if you want to go real deep.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ what is the budget going to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some great current shows that y'all have never heard goons talk about?

It seems like there's a ton of interesting stuff out there that I never hear about in this little bubble but I have no rubric of what's actually good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

doctorfrog posted:

Ok I just finished Marcella season 2 on Netflix, and I'm not going to say how good or bad it was, but is there any given clue as to why, in the final five minutes, she slices her cheek open and cuts her hair? Is this symbolic of something? Or is it just left unexplained? Because I'm so not going to watch any part of it again to figure it out.

I liked Marcella season 1 a lot but can barely remember anything about 2 except Anna Friel owns.

e: also i am v excited for cavill as geralt. he's a big ol witcher dork who read the books and played 3 more than once lmbo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

You had Justified, you have Get Shorty, so my question is, where's the Elmoreverse, tv? :D

Justified was the closed to an Elmoreverse show since it was by far and away the longest lived and had the most time to mine Leonard's catalog. The problem is that the rights to Leonard's books are all over the place, which is what lead to Gugino playing Karen "Goodall" or Stephen Root's Mike Reardon being a reskinned Maximum Bob.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't they kill off their main character to drum up interest partway through? They definitely tried to make some suggestion that the kidnapping/disappearance of a politician's wife might tie in to the literal Book of Revelations end of the world, I remember that much.

But the one thing I remember about Vanished was a suggestion that it's central mystery might be resolved on then (then) next season of Bones (narrator: it wasn't).

Yeah they killed the main character off like six or seven episodes in. Which should tell you they weren't really far ahead of production. Even then though they kept laying in new mysteries and never answered anything of note.

The only two shows i can think of that left me hating them nearly as much were Persons Unknown (what a loving awful finale that show had) and Zero Hour (I will never understand how you can gently caress up Rosicrucians vs Nazis so bad).

DivisionPost posted:

Don’t forget Lucky Number Slevin if you want to go real deep.

I'm not a huge fan of that one, but it's fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Lol Alcatraz. JJ actually produced that one.

Alcatraz was pretty good and certainly promising with a batshit central mystery and Sam Neill chewing scenery and also Hugo from LOST

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

It seems like there's a ton of interesting stuff out there that I never hear about in this little bubble but I have no rubric of what's actually good.

Mr. Mercedes is a decent horror show. Second season just started, and they're switching genres to something more overly supernatural, but it's still good. Mostly squirm inducing so far though.

Strange Angel just ended its first season on CBS All Access. Historical biopic series about the guy who developed modern rocket propulsion technology, and also was part of a sexy sexy sex cult. Rupert Friend plays the guy's neighbour, and it has like a third of the cast of The Man In The High Castle. It's pretty good.

(Also I really want this to be renewed because his wife eventually runs off with L. Ron Hubbard, and because the show is surprisingly gay).

Wrecked is funnier than a Lost parody should be. (Effectively, it's a version of Lost that focuses entirely on the fuckups that mill around on the beach instead of helping out with anything, and occasionally cuts back to the actually useful people staring in bewilderment and shame.) Features Rhys Darby as the show's Locke substitute. Not high art, but it's morphed into something pretty good over the course of its three seasons.

Oh, and because I suspect espeterra hasn't watched Claws yet, espeterra: you should watch Claws. Five women run a nail salon and do crime. Sometimes they sing. Sometimes they throw knives into the ceiling while threatening women with cupcakes. Sometimes that happens all in one episode. Stars Niecy Nash, Carrie Preston, Dean Norris and (a largely unrecognisable) Carla-from-Scrubs. Dale Dickey and Michael Emerson recur. It's big and it's mad and it's plot heavy and it's silly and it's wonderful and it's fun.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

yah I've been meaning to check that out, I fuckin love Niecy Nash! Thanks for the reminder boo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm a fan of Penn and Teller: Fool Us. Alyson Hannigan is a bit wooden sometimes as hostess but there's a lot of good acts and Penn's respect for the skill and performers feels genuine. He's been encouraging to newbies, absolutely in awe of some folks, and I don't think I've heard him be openly derisive of anyone once they got past season 1 which had some "the prop and your nameless assistant do all the work" illusionists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NBC Orders ‘Law & Order: Hate Crimes’ Series From Dick Wolf.

That what the world needs right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sure it will be handled with care.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It would be so funny if this somehow led to SVU getting cancelled at 20 seasons, just like L&O, thus robbing Wolf once more of the chance to beat the Gunsmoke record as he so desperately desires.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loving hell :cripes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe it's just a bunch of cops that really hate crimes, in which case, Meloni is perfect.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Bring back Jeremy Sisto and maybe I'll think about watching.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If done right that show will be too painful to watch. If done wrong that show will be too painful to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bentacos posted:

Bring back Jeremy Sisto and maybe I'll think about watching.

He's going to be in another Dick Wolf series about the FBI.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Look at this somehow well adjusted and thoughtful human being that works in a :shudder: grocery store.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1036942500932476928

I wonder if this is maybe the greatest viral marketing campaign Trader Joe's has come up with.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wrecked is funnier than a Lost parody should be. (Effectively, it's a version of Lost that focuses entirely on the fuckups that mill around on the beach instead of helping out with anything, and occasionally cuts back to the actually useful people staring in bewilderment and shame.) Features Rhys Darby as the show's Locke substitute. Not high art, but it's morphed into something pretty good over the course of its three seasons.

Wrecked is a fun show, but it literally had me give a shocked "Oh poo poo!" at the season 2 cliffhanger

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Open Source Idiom posted:

wrecked is the best show that no one is watching and I'm absolutely psyched it actually got a third season

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait why didn't anyone tell me there was a Lost parody that is good and has multiple seasons? I blame every person in my life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still waiting for Angie Tribeca Season 4 to come out. The show is stupid, but it's my kind of stupid.

I'm still very raw about People of Earth.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you've got UKTV Gogglebox is coming back on Sept 7th and I really like it even though the idea of the show is stupid as hell.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

feedmyleg posted:

Wait why didn't anyone tell me there was a Lost parody that is good and has multiple seasons? I blame every person in my life.

i stumbled upon it during the first season and was blown away. i've shown it to some people irl and only one of them had ever even heard of it. it's kind of like how party down was amazing yet most people had no idea it existed for two seasons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus christ what is the budget going to be.

It's going to have to be GoT or higher. Since the day they've announced it Cavill has pretty been telling anyone who would listen that he'd take the part without any hesitation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
like i know Witcher 3 is popular but is it really anywhere close to GoT popular?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure the Witcher games have outsold the GoT books. I don't think the Witcher books are popular though. CD Projekt is a giant company now ($2 billion+) thanks to those games.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 4, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Witcher books from what I'm told aren't that great of a translation, so they aren't nearly as popular as GoT.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A series set in The Witcher universe has tons of potential to be Game of Thrones big, if not bigger. The fanbase for the games is not as large as the ASOIAF books (and almost no one in the English world has read the Witcher books) but people are itching for another blood, swords, and tits series and The Witcher's got that in spades.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 4, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The Witcher's setting is really interesting and if the show does it justice, I think it could be a license to print money.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

precision posted:

like i know Witcher 3 is popular but is it really anywhere close to GoT popular?

The most seen episode of GoT was 16 million, and while they are coy about numbers the Witcher 3 was at 10 million sold by 2016, and sales rates have pretty much only gone up since then. Of course a lot of people pirate GoT but, well.....a lot of people pirate games too. There's a reason the company that made it is now a multi-billion dollar company, and it's because the Witcher 3 went crazy stupid hot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gaming nerds are assholes though when it comes to what their idea of who should play who in other media.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Will Henry Cavill's Witcher get a card for everything he bones?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't really think of a video game movie where there was a lot of bitching about the casting?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Gaming nerds are assholes though when it comes to what their idea of who should play who in other media.
I’m not looking forward to the shitstorm when they announce that Yennifer is played by a black actress or something along those lines.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I supposed it’s because they’ve all kind of sucked. I guess I’m paranoid of more women being chased off twitter because they don’t agree with the casting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

asecondduck posted:

I can't really think of a video game movie where there was a lot of bitching about the casting?

Well, I mean, Prince of Persia...

J-Spot posted:

I’m not looking forward to the shitstorm when they announce that Yennifer is played by a black actress or something along those lines.

I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Last year's comedy lineup on TBE was pretty drat legit. I legit love Wrecked and Angie Tribeca and through The Detour and People of Earth were pretty solid too. That hotel one even got a lot better in the last half of the season.