Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
after the one year anniversary of the unite the right murder a bunch of centrist and liberal journalists were patting themselves on the backs for their victory over the alt right. no mention of antifa or protesters

the nazis themselves will tell you it was antifa and the left protesting and deplatforming that stopped them. richard spencer is open about that fact.

letting nazis speak is a bad idea, the paradox of tolerance and all that jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That is a brilliant thread, a shame it will fall on deaf ears. I wanna pick out a highlight:

https://twitter.com/alanalentin/status/1036882455368613889

It's a trap to see such discrimination as mindless, and the MSM are siding with the big guys in charge of it. The use of left/right gets them off the hook too so they can indulge in their fake objectivity yet again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tom tried to save his dogshit played out show with an even and balanced segment. Deserves to die and rip.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Both sides" bullshit needs to go away and I don't know how it's going to be achieved. You could have an objectively incorrect force (fascist Nazis) but the right-wing media will cheer for them while the centrists will try and find equivalence between Nazis and the people fighting them. There is no left-wing media, at least not in Australia.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also that poo poo was like 7 and a half minutes - I'd watched a half hour video about Mario Kart speedrunning before that and I still refused to waste my time on it. Isn't that like a third of the show's running time?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Also that poo poo was like 7 and a half minutes - I'd watched a half hour video about Mario Kart speedrunning before that and I still refused to waste my time on it. Isn't that like a third of the show's running time?

Yeah they were really proud of it and thought they were saying something worthwhile.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Boycott the mainstreaming of Nazism by continuing to not watch tv

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Reclines Obesily posted:

after the one year anniversary of the unite the right murder a bunch of centrist and liberal journalists were patting themselves on the backs for their victory over the alt right. no mention of antifa or protesters

the nazis themselves will tell you it was antifa and the left protesting and deplatforming that stopped them. richard spencer is open about that fact.

letting nazis speak is a bad idea, the paradox of tolerance and all that jazz

Black bloc kicks so much rear end, but that's a thousand percent scapegoating for the apathy for genuine rally mutilate the under classes style fascism here and in the US

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 4, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Boycott the mainstreaming of Nazism by continuing to not watch tv

It's hard to find objective reasons why TV is doing that outside of guessing that the statistics support a solid audience for it. It's tempting to believe it's a small audience because the total audience for politics seems to be historically small to start with (some say its 10% of the audience, some go lower).

A decade ago, Dr Sally Young said:

quote:

So despite all the focus on the internet, at this point in time, TV is still by far the most popular medium in Australia and it’s the place where the accidental audience is most likely to come across political news. TV is in a transition phase. Its audience has declined (or fragmented depending upon how you look at) and there are other worrying signs for the future. Yet, for the moment, it still remains immensely popular with nine out of ten Australians watching TV every week.[13] On average, Australians watch over three hours of television a day.[14] As David Denemark notes, it ‘dominates Australians’ lives at home’.[15] By comparison, although it’s growing, when it comes to getting information and news about politics or a federal election, the internet is still a niche medium in Australia. This is changing but, at the moment, far more people rely on the traditional media.[16]

You'd expect those kind of numbers to have changed, but it's difficult to find any numbers, primarily because the audience for them are not the public, they're the political class. The noises made by those plugged-into the politics debate seem loud but we don't really have a good handle on exactly how, or whether they're influential at all. I'm getting a bit disenchanted with twitter for that reason, its getting harder to separate the SNR what with politicians trying to pander directly outside of mainstream channels, and journalists continuing to act as if Twitter or Facebook are mediums for them to continue to talk down to the public. Still, it's better to engage and make noises that they at least will have to notice, busy as they are ignoring the vast majority of Australians.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You’ll never guess which political editor at the Guardian has an absolutely dogshit opinion about Steve Bannon

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

You’ll never guess which political editor at the Guardian has an absolutely dogshit opinion about Steve Bannon

you :dukedog:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:vince:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Micallef has been telling the same jokes for twenty years and it doesn't bother me at all

I'll be happy with twenty more

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
SCOTT Morrison has declared Australia’s retirement age will no longer be increased to 70 years old in one of his first major announcements as Prime Minister to win back voters.

In a surprise announcement on the Nine Network’s Today show this morning, the Prime Minister revealed the government would reverse a budget decision to lift the retirement age to 70 and keep it at age 67.

He said he “no longer” thought it was a good idea for Australians to work until they were 70.

“Look, I was going to say this next week but I might as well say it here,” he told host Karl Stefanovic.

“I have already consulted my colleagues on that. Next week Cabinet will be ratifying a decision to reverse taking … the retirement age to 70.

“It will remain at 67, which is what Labor increased it to.”

Mr Morrison said raising the retirement age was a budget measure that was no longer needed.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How many sweeteners can the Liberals give to Boomers before an election?

The answer may surprise you.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

froglet posted:

I know a bunch of fuckwits who think we should just let these folks speak. Including those transgender deniers and Germaine Greer. Because freeze peach.

They're basically like this person, except very, very real.

That being said the literal Nazis could arrive and send their families to death camps and even then they'd probably still do nothing. Because that's hard and really they should have thought before entering the same pub as someone guilty of thoughtcrimes.

(Basically my friends are all terrible and I need new ones)

I know a few people who used to think similar who were all Galaxy brain types who think they were very logical and rational etc etc.

so I introduced them to the paradox of tolerance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

That's actually changed some of their opinions.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anidav posted:

The answer may won't surprise you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ScoMo you mad dog, announcing policy randomly before cabinet fully approves it.

That's moi team, go Sharkies.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Look Doug mate look, ScoMo is burping tomorrow's powerball numbers on sunrise.

Maaaaaaate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scomo announces new "learn to earn" 75% flat income tax for millennials; silver service at home dining for boomers earning under $250,000 per annum.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gimme a oval office who wants to abolish work full stop, not just for the elderly

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Anidav posted:

Look Doug mate look, ScoMo is burping tomorrow's powerball numbers on sunrise.

Maaaaaaate.

Meat platter raffle rear end pm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scomo you mad dog, making all weekends long weekends for those over 65. Maaaaaaate.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Keep pandering to all those lovely baby boomers Morrison.

All the younger folk who signed up for the same sex shitshow will see your lot gone.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1037100764294836224

Gr8 to see the leader of the country publicly making GBS threads on programs helping marginalized kids

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

Exclusive figures obtained by The Daily Telegraph show already this year hospitals have referred 74 kids

Hmm. Yeah, that doesn't sound quite so alarmist. better go with the 200% figure :hmmyes:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ScoMo will bring the cane back to our schools in order to cure our Little Diggers of the rampant diseases of homosexuality and transgender

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want to say "I just don't understand how people can look at those kinds of numbers and think 'kids are being forced into the tranny fad!!!' rather than it just being that society has become more accepting/accommodating so people who in years past would have just repressed their feelings are now able to be open about and act on them" but of course there's nothing to try and puzzle out, it's just unabashed hate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol at all the old people on Facebook comments section begging ScoMo to put pension age back to 55.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

The answer may surprise you.

Maybe they learnt something from their :effort: 2016 pre-election budget?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

Lol at all the old people on Facebook comments section begging ScoMo to put pension age back to 55.

drat it was 55 once?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hambeet posted:

I know a few people who used to think similar who were all Galaxy brain types who think they were very logical and rational etc etc.

so I introduced them to the paradox of tolerance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

That's actually changed some of their opinions.

I've showed them that already! While it convinced a small handful about booting actual Nazis, some of them were still saying free speech should trump everything. And still didn't seem to see the harm of letting those transgender quacks and Greer speak.

I tried to explain it (like how this validates people who hate transgender folks and encourages crimes against them because of this ideal being transgender is "not real" or "just made up"), but they'd already made up their mind that all intolerance is equally bad except maybe actual Nazis.

Upside: one of my "friends" proceeded to "quit Facebook" because "politics is so polarised" and "why can't people just be kind to each other". I considered pointing out she's insanely privileged and has never had to fight for basic rights, but that would feed into this idea that despite being the child of an insanely wealthy family and having private schooling up the wazoo and her parents subsidising her multiple undergrad degrees, she's somehow the underdog of the world.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Reclines Obesily posted:

drat it was 55 once?

To be fair there are jobs that burn you out by that age, like construction jobs.

Except I don't think there's a good metric to go "yep your life is hosed now, go retire", and I feel like maybe it's a copout to not make employers responsible for crippling people by middle-age.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Michael McGowan over at Theg is running a liveblog today regarding the inquiry into the bloody au pairs, and the go with them.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-committee-live

quote:

Eric Abetz is here!
He’s asking whether either of the two women at the centre of this had a criminal record.
“Not on the information I have,” is the response from Malisa Golightly, a deputy secretary from the immigration department.
Abetz then asks whether either of the two women broke any condition of the visa while they were here.
“Not to my knowledge,” Golightly says.
Watt then intervenes to ask whether the department ever actually did any compliance checks.
Golightly: “In visas as short as this we wouldn’t usually do compliance work.”
“So when you say that to your knowledge people complied, that’s because no one ever really checked,” Watt responds.

Abetz then suggests people have a right to the presumption of innocence.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Peccadillo posted:

Gimme a oval office who wants to abolish work full stop, not just for the elderly
I really hoped we were beyond casual misogyny in this thread.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Reclines Obesily posted:

drat it was 55 once?

Probably back when life expectancy for a working male was 56,

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can't imagine a way of implementing it that wouldn't cause massive problems in practice, but one way of introducing a UBI would be to have it replace the age pension and gradually lower the age at which you start receiving it until it covers all of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Reclines Obesily posted:

drat it was 55 once?

No.

When it started in 1909 it was from 65, or 60 if you were incapacitated (or a woman, from 1910)

• Locked thread