Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The scene in Age of Steel when the Doctor turns off the emotional suppressor and the woman inside the Cybersuit starts panicking/freaking out was really loving good and basically wasted by being in such an otherwise poor episode.

Why Cybermen stories don't play up more the fact that their survival has come at the cost of what they were actually trying to preserve in the first place I have never understood. It's so basic a storyline but they never really seem interested in actually exploring it. It's part of what makes Human Resources so good.

Cyberman: We muzzzzt survive.
8th Doctor: Yes but why? WHY? For what purpose?
Cyberman: .......we muzzzt survive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"It's the Current Year, I don't see what the big deal is with artificial limbs/organs. Lots of people have them and it's bad to stigmatise them."

Sounds like something a Mondasian would say...:colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Racnoss in The Runaway Bride sure is a slice of ham and cheese, huh?

Between her, Ten and Donna there's a lot of scenery chewing going on in this episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I will say, the "Excellent!" Cybermen basically all feel like Homer Simpson got Cyberized, and it's pretty funny to watch them walk around saying "We have purged our emo- WHY YOU LITTLE!!" over and over again.

I believe there's one commentary - probably for "Attack" - where David Banks and possibly Colin Baker have a good chuckle about how the Cyber-Leader keeps boisterously exclaiming "EXCELLENT!" even though all his plans are going wrong.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hell, even the Big Finish trilogy with The Reaping/The Gathering/The Harvest was a better Cybermen story than a good 90% of the television stories...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Lampsacus posted:

It remains my favourite revival series finale.

*presses hand and face against wall*

Maybe not my favorite but I too was so happy they finally got rid of Rose.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah because change is always good ^
I just rewatched the last Christmas special and I am gagging for the new series of dw. Soon?!?!

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

Look

Don't worry about the Cybermen

The best story they've gotten in years was part 1 of a two parter that then went right back to misusing them in that second part.

It says a lot about the Cybermen that I need to ask this, but are you talking about World Enough and Time or Dark Water?

I just honestly don't think that Doctor Who could ever make an episode that fully did the Cybermen justice. Dark Water especially had a genuinely unsettling and unique premise, but as a family show there's only so far it can take it. The Cybermen is the premise of a Black Mirror episode, and Doctor Who just can't go to those sorts of places. Or they could just let Charlie Brooker write an episode (Oh gently caress that would be amazing)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It says a lot about the Cybermen that I need to ask this, but are you talking about World Enough and Time or Dark Water?

I just honestly don't think that Doctor Who could ever make an episode that fully did the Cybermen justice. Dark Water especially had a genuinely unsettling and unique premise, but as a family show there's only so far it can take it. The Cybermen is the premise of a Black Mirror episode, and Doctor Who just can't go to those sorts of places. Or they could just let Charlie Brooker write an episode (Oh gently caress that would be amazing)

Charlie Brooker would write a great Doctor Who episode if he's ever willing and they ask him to, and not all of his stuff is totally grimdark. Both (it's a spoiler when Black Mirror episodes have happy endings!) San Junipero and Hang the DJ are just sweet stories about people using technology to make new connections.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Charlie Brooker would write a great Doctor Who episode if he's ever willing and they ask him to, and not all of his stuff is totally grimdark. Both (it's a spoiler when Black Mirror episodes have happy endings!) San Junipero and Hang the DJ are just sweet stories about people using technology to make new connections.

That first one is only a happy ending until you realize that it's literally what Missy was doing in Dark Water, minus the cyberman conversion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

That first one is only a happy ending until you realize that it's literally what Missy was doing in Dark Water, minus the cyberman conversion.

Eh. "It's actually secretly horrible" has always been the weirdest take on that episode to me. It goes out of its way to discuss some of the philosophical concerns through its characters and almost outright tells the viewer to knock it off with the Ship of Theseus debate and just accept that it's a second chance for someone who never would have gotten one otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Charlie Brooker would write a great Doctor Who episode if he's ever willing and they ask him to, and not all of his stuff is totally grimdark.

He was a huge fan of the RTD era, wasn't he?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just finished the audiobook of Doctor Who & The Krikkitmen finally: It's really, really good. Goss does a great job of mimicking Adams to the point where it's very hard to see the seams, and while there's a lot of familiar beats as the book does lift liberally from Adams' actual published works, especially Life, The Universe & Everything, the addition of the Doctor, K9 and Romana being active agnets trying to stop the universe from ending makes a big difference, and the climax is one of those big Adams and Who ideas that is so simple that it's amazing it wasn't used before. It does suffer from feeling a bit... well, Hitch-hiker-y in places, the gathering of the McGuffins being very comedy-sketch-y and episodic, and an attempt at a Bob Holmes-ian double act at the end that I'm undecided about.
Audiobook wise, it's read by Dan Starkey (Strax) and he does an admirable job. His Tom sounds more like someone doing an impression of Jon Culshaw DOING Tom than the real deal, but it works very well once you settle in. His K9 is excellent and he gets Lalla's inflection down if not her voice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

man, I wanna get into the Big Finish Doctor Who stuff but it looks like there's a massive amount of stuff and I am a very poor man

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nodosaur posted:

man, I wanna get into the Big Finish Doctor Who stuff but it looks like there's a massive amount of stuff and I am a very poor man

Keep an eye on the BF website. They regularly run sales, and often offer the downloads of stories for like 5 bucks.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Grand Marshall in the Seeds of Death sounds just like Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan in the Day Today.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

He was a huge fan of the RTD era, wasn't he?

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me, from reading his TV work and a lot of his articles. I need think he's more of a sentimentalist than most people think. :ssh:

He did turn down the opportunity to write for the show because he was busy and has hinted that he'd love to be asked again. I hope that it happens eventually, but I think his Rod Serling-like need to do most of the Black Mirror writing will make it hard. :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hi

it's me

I'm the idiot with generalized anxiety who decides it's a good idea to start watching "Blink" at 8 pm

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

Keep an eye on the BF website. They regularly run sales, and often offer the downloads of stories for like 5 bucks.

There are also a few complete stories available free through their SoundCloud page. It's a bit of an odd mix, including some that are essentially teaser trailers for longer releases, but "Cuddlesome" is a great standalone, and "Urgent Calls" is one I like to send people who are starting out, since it's about someone discovering the Doctor Who universe through audio, the way "Blink" is about someone discovering it through video.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nodosaur posted:

There surely is.
The main Doctor Who monthly line has first 100 stories at 2.99 $£€ each.

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released_reverse/monthly-series

It has stories from 5-8th doctors and they're about 2 hours long each. the
Thread is probably salivating at prospect of posting their favourites from the list.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd only be able to do this if there were a bulk purchase option, and there doesn't seem to be

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodosaur posted:

I'd only be able to do this if there were a bulk purchase option, and there doesn't seem to be

How much are you willing to spend? Also, how familiar are you with Doctors 1-8?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

They do have bundles and subscriptions (you can even buy a "subscription" to a bunch of old stories and you'll get the discount AND get them all at once)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The classic doctors I know most about are 1, 4, 5, and 8 but I've only seen a few serials. I thought the BF stuff would be a good first impression of a lot of them cuz so many classic serials are incomplete

I have to make 90 dollars work for the rest of the month so I'm not sure about the answer to that question

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodosaur posted:

The classic doctors I know most about are 1, 4, 5, and 8 but I've only seen a few serials. I thought the BF stuff would be a good first impression of a lot of them cuz so many classic serials are incomplete

I have to make 90 dollars work for the rest of the month so I'm not sure about the answer to that question

In that case, I suggest Dark Eyes - it's a box set of the Eighth Doctor doing things over the course of 4 CDs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

how reliant is that on previous stories

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodosaur posted:

I'm 99% sure all you need to know is gleaned from the 1996 movie.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unless time is a very limiting factor, buy/listen to them in order. There's plotlines that cross multiple doctors and the quality only basically gets better as you go along, and you might find you enjoy certain doctors over others that might differ from the ones you like on-screen, or discover ones you never paid much attention to before.

There's only a very, very short list of universally hated ones and if you don't care for a particular doctor or set of stories don't feel bad about skipping ahead, but as for the overall quality I think BF has good stories pretty much the entire way through.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nodosaur posted:

A little but as long as you know that the 8th doctor has seen Some poo poo you should be good. Think of Night of the Doctor kinda thing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

With low budget, an episode or 2 would probably be best. Big Finish isn't going anywhere.

For 5th Doctor people generally consider "Spare parts" being the best one from earlier series.
For 8th Doctor the goon favourite seems to be "the Chimes of midnight".

Either of them is 2.99.

edit:
The Dark eyes is 35.00.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey, Nodosaur wanted a bundle!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Who buys this stuff?

Seriously. I'm one of the few here, who liked the special with her, but even I'm not interested in her solo-adventures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also

Strongly consider listening to Minute in Hell

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wanted a bundle more in the vein of "can I get a lot of these at once", but that's kind of unrealistic and I can't expect these guys to give this stuff away for free

are any of those stories that end up being adapted into episodes still worth listening to on their own

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

One of his close friends/companions has very recently died and he's not very happy about it.

You're basically caught up now! The only other thing you need to know about the 8th Doctor is that this sums up his life pretty nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCRRWdXpT4

I'm sorry, this was the best version I could find that wasn't somebody in a swamp pointing their phone at a tv playing a vhs rip of another tv at an airport

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Also

Strongly consider listening to Minute in Hell

Minuet is fun as heck, but I wouldn't want anyone to start with it!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

One of his close friends/companions has very recently died and he's not very happy about it.

You're basically caught up now! The only other thing you need to know about the 8th Doctor is that this sums up his life pretty nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCRRWdXpT4

I'm sorry, this was the best version I could find that wasn't somebody in a swamp pointing their phone at a tv playing a vhs rip of another tv at an airport

... so more stuff like what happened to Donna?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

adhuin posted:

Who buys this stuff?

Seriously. I'm one of the few here, who liked the special with her, but even I'm not interested in her solo-adventures.

I just finished that one the other day. I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was. It's also has a couple stealth UNIT stories in there, with Sam Bishop showing up. And a Sylvia Noble story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know what? I don't think you're ready for Big Finish yet. If you're only familiar with Doctors 1, 4, and 5 with regards to the original series, you need to watch some of 2, 3, 6, and 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

a ton of the older stories are on Spotify, although i think you still have to search "doctor who" instead of "big finish" for whatever reason

• Locked thread