Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So my attic has knee walls (cape cod). Should I insulate the entire roof (even into the open kneewalls) or the roof were it's "finished" and then inside/bottom of the knee walls so there's an open space?

Pictures are easier, and this answer had what I was generally typing:https://diy.stackexchange.com/a/131850 If you only have the ridge vent (not roof vents), you'll definitely need to have baffles that given an air channel up the interior room's angled ceiling (attic side) to that vent. What isn't shown in that image is the need to bag up insulation to stuff into the floor joists to prevent air movement under the room.

This EPA guide has some great tips for attic insulation as well: https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/publications/pubdocs/DIY_Guide_2016.pdf?7be1-2081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My landlord replaced my old oven with a newer oven. The stovetop was freshly repainted. I waited a few days to use it but then the paint on it went brown. I figured I must have spilled something, used it again, and it turned even darker. Parts of the paint also looks like it's wilting.

What happened and how do I fix it to not get in trouble?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
See if it comes off with gentle scrubbing powder like Barkeeper's Friend. It may just be soot.

If not, send them a notice with exactly what you said?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm trying to replace a sash in one of my windows, rather than replacing the entire thing. A pane in the top sash is cracked, it would apparently cost me as much to get the pane replaced as to get a new window set, but I am hoping I can replace just that one sash cheaper. But to do this I need the manufacturer. I have searched all over the sash and the frame and can't find any stickers or marks - I figured maybe this one was missing, but I've checked every other matching window in the house and none of them seem to have anything on them at all. Is there some extra secret place this might be marked? Under a sash lock or something crazy? Barring that, is there any way to try and figure out how to get a sash for this? They aren't old or unique, they look like pretty generic vinyl double-hung windows. I took the broken sash to Home Depot and the best the guy could tell me is that it isn't one of the two brands they carry.

I really don't want to have to take off the trim and pull this whole frame over one dumb pane. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RandomPauI posted:

My landlord replaced my old oven with a newer oven. The stovetop was freshly repainted. I waited a few days to use it but then the paint on it went brown. I figured I must have spilled something, used it again, and it turned even darker. Parts of the paint also looks like it's wilting.

What happened and how do I fix it to not get in trouble?

Sounds like he didn't use heat proof paint. Either tell him he hosed up it or strip and repaint it yourself

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sounds like he didn't use heat proof paint. Either tell him he hosed up it or strip and repaint it yourself

Who paints a stove top?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Change colour or repair damage?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah really sounds like your landlord is a scumbag but I repeat myself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Please don't breathe the fumes from the burning paint.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got an Octagon shaped window in the bathroom that has been on it's last legs for a few years now, the wood frame the glass is set in is rotting and basically will disintegrate if I open it. Having a window in the bathroom that does not open is not good for anyone. I'd like to replace it, but I don't even know where to start since it's an odd shaped window, and I'm not sure how much should be replaced (The outside of the house had siding put on 2 years ago so the outer wooden frame was replaced with vinyl).

Album of pictures of it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Medullah posted:

I've got an Octagon shaped window in the bathroom that has been on it's last legs for a few years now, the wood frame the glass is set in is rotting and basically will disintegrate if I open it. Having a window in the bathroom that does not open is not good for anyone. I'd like to replace it, but I don't even know where to start since it's an odd shaped window, and I'm not sure how much should be replaced (The outside of the house had siding put on 2 years ago so the outer wooden frame was replaced with vinyl).

Album of pictures of it

What town are you in? A window maker or woodworker should be able to make a new one pretty readily, is imagine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Power washed all of the loose paint off.
Scraped touch up areas.
Sanded the whole thing.
Washed with TSP, which loosened up more paint. :negative:

Should I have gone with a chemical strip?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I built a bird feeder and need to finish it with a copper strip running the length of the roof peak. Max of 2ft long and 4in wide would suffice, but I'm not sure how thick it should be?

Also the roof is cedar, with some stain/sealer on it. Any special way to secure copper to that?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd pick whatever thin-gauge copper sheet metal you can find, honestly. Thickness is not going to be a major issue so long as it's, like, 26ga at least.

As for securing it to the wood, have you considered nails? If you're worried about water intrusion, either layer the copper over shingles, or caulk/tar the nail holes.

By the way, why copper? It's expensive. Aluminum flashing is a lot cheaper.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd pick whatever thin-gauge copper sheet metal you can find, honestly. Thickness is not going to be a major issue so long as it's, like, 26ga at least.

As for securing it to the wood, have you considered nails? If you're worried about water intrusion, either layer the copper over shingles, or caulk/tar the nail holes.

Thanks 26ga or more gives me something to aim for.

I was thinking nails or screws but wasn't sure about like corrosion with copper? Going for copper over aluminum for looks, I'm assuming a small piece won't be more than 10-15 bucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Copper is like right next to steel in the galvanic series, you probably won't have any issues. The nails will corrode slightly faster but not so as to be noticeable. If you wanna get fancy, depending on if the roof has sufficient overhangs, getting the copper extra long and gently hammering over each end would probably hold it decently, and some silicone or spray adhesive under the length of the strip would give it the rest of the grip you want.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can get copper coated brad nails from your local box store, but from the reviews you have to be careful to avoid knocking the finish off the nail head.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For adhering sheet metal like this, though, you really want something like a roofing nail, with a large flat head. Or you could go with the adhesive suggested by Enourmo. Incidentally, thistothat is a good website to remember. Here's its metal-to-wood suggestions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hmm I think I have some construction adhesive in a caulk tube that's still good, and I wouldn't need to buy anything else, perhaps I'll try that depending on the length of copper that I source. Thanks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

Power washed all of the loose paint off.
Scraped touch up areas.
Sanded the whole thing.
Washed with TSP, which loosened up more paint. :negative:

Should I have gone with a chemical strip?

Wirewheel that fucker.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Wirewheel that fucker.

That's days of wire wheeling unless garage doors come clean a lot easier than container ship decks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For adhering sheet metal like this, though, you really want something like a roofing nail, with a large flat head. Or you could go with the adhesive suggested by Enourmo. Incidentally, thistothat is a good website to remember. Here's its metal-to-wood suggestions.

Those nails are actually for weatherstripping. They have copper coated tacks as well, but I think the smaller head would look better on such a small project, if you need them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there some way to prevent spiders from setting up webs in specific areas? I don't hate spiders, I do my best to not kill them, spiders are real and strong and my friend. But on my back porch, where I enter and leave every day, at least once a week I get a big old face full of web and spider and I don't like it. Is there some treatment I can put around my door frame to keep them from setting up shop directly in my path?

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
The maple tree in my backyard doesn’t look like it’s doing well this year. There are green leaves growing on it, but the growth is much thinner than it has been previous years. I’m worried about the thing being dead/dying because it is close to my house.
But the weather has been absolutely absurd with heat/cold cycles this year so I’m not sure if the tree just went dormant when it wasn’t supposed to. I don’t see any other maples around this area with the same problem. The tree is like 30 years old, maybe more.

E: oh, we have a plants thread...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

shovelbum posted:

That's days of wire wheeling unless garage doors come clean a lot easier than container ship decks.

If those are Clopay panels factory-spray-painted white, that thin-rear end paint comes off tout de suite with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. It's the pebbled/fake woodgrain that's a pain in the rear end.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Wirewheel that fucker.

I did a section of it with wire wheel a couple months ago, it took off some of the galvanization along an edge.

I hit it again with the pressure washer, gave it a wipe down with some vinegar, and primered it pretty good. I didn't notice any more flaking while doing this, but if it's peeling next year I'm just buying a new door.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Is there some way to prevent spiders from setting up webs in specific areas? I don't hate spiders, I do my best to not kill them, spiders are real and strong and my friend. But on my back porch, where I enter and leave every day, at least once a week I get a big old face full of web and spider and I don't like it. Is there some treatment I can put around my door frame to keep them from setting up shop directly in my path?

The easy answer is to buy some bifenthrin concentrate on Amazon and mix it into a gallon sprayer. It will coat surfaces and even stand up to a few months of rain and such.

That's basically what the pest control guy would do, except he'll try to charge you $300 for something that takes $20 and an hour to do yourself.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As a follow-up to this, home depot sells copper covered aluminum flashing for $15 in the size I need. For pure copper from an online retailer they quote $45. So you were certainly right about that, not spending $50 for a bird feeder, I'll be buying the copper covered aluminum next time I stop into HD.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I recently got some new gutters installed on the house and realized that I need to work out some water flow issues with downspout drains/french drains to carry the water off.

The corner of my house that has issues is covered in a pebble topped concrete patio that extends from the base of the foundation out to the pool. So I need to remove some concrete sections in order to install said drains and I'm looking at options and any advice based on previous goon experience for concrete removal.

My plan was to rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade and cut a strip of patio slightly wider than the width of my pipe/trench. There are gas options and electric ones, any foreseeable issues with the electric? I'm looking at maybe 5 feet worth of patio to cut probably less.

Any issues with the fact it's a pebbled top?

How likely will I be able to lever out the patio sections I cut in nice easy pieces to replace as a temp fix? I plan on getting a more professional fix at a later date. I can probably just hand trench it all, it doesn't snow/freeze really so I don't have to worry about getting it below any frostline.

As for the drainage I'm looking at pvc to join up two downspouts then they'll terminate into flexible pipe that I'll point down the sloping part of my yard.

I'm not sure how to terminate it though. I see a few examples using an outflow box/pipe. Should I dig this section out more and fill with gravel and rock for more drainage or is there some other option?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

My plan was to rent a concrete saw with a diamond blade and cut a strip of patio slightly wider than the width of my pipe/trench. There are gas options and electric ones, any foreseeable issues with the electric? I'm looking at maybe 5 feet worth of patio to cut probably less.

Any issues with the fact it's a pebbled top?

How likely will I be able to lever out the patio sections I cut in nice easy pieces to replace as a temp fix? I plan on getting a more professional fix at a later date. I can probably just hand trench it all, it doesn't snow/freeze really so I don't have to worry about getting it below any frostline.

Do you own a circular saw? For 5 feet of concrete, you could just buy a diamond cutting blade for your saw and do it with that. You'll have to take shallower passes, and you won't have anything built in to keep the dust down like a concrete saw would, so wear a respirator.

Also get a cold steel chisel and a sledgehammer (if you don't already have one). Once you've cut down an inch or so, you should be able to use those to crack the concrete along the cut. It saves a lot of effort. Once you've separated the 5'-long piece from the rest of the patio, you may also be able to section it without any saw work by mashing it with the sledgehammer/chisel. That will make it easier to remove; I'd suggest trying to break it into pieces not more than 2' long. Concrete's pretty heavy. You may also need a crowbar to lift the pieces out.

Rather than try to re-use the pieces you cut out, I'd just pour new concrete in. This is the kind of job you can do with a shovel and a cement mixing tub, and it's a pretty decent introduction to how to pour concrete. It'll still be pretty obviously different from the surrounding stuff (though if you can match the pebbles that should disguise it some), but it'll look a lot nicer than some ragged re-used lumps of concrete would.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you own a circular saw? For 5 feet of concrete, you could just buy a diamond cutting blade for your saw and do it with that. You'll have to take shallower passes, and you won't have anything built in to keep the dust down like a concrete saw would, so wear a respirator.

Also get a cold steel chisel and a sledgehammer (if you don't already have one). Once you've cut down an inch or so, you should be able to use those to crack the concrete along the cut. It saves a lot of effort. Once you've separated the 5'-long piece from the rest of the patio, you may also be able to section it without any saw work by mashing it with the sledgehammer/chisel. That will make it easier to remove; I'd suggest trying to break it into pieces not more than 2' long. Concrete's pretty heavy. You may also need a crowbar to lift the pieces out.

Rather than try to re-use the pieces you cut out, I'd just pour new concrete in. This is the kind of job you can do with a shovel and a cement mixing tub, and it's a pretty decent introduction to how to pour concrete. It'll still be pretty obviously different from the surrounding stuff (though if you can match the pebbles that should disguise it some), but it'll look a lot nicer than some ragged re-used lumps of concrete would.

A garden sprayer and an assistant works okay to keep the dust down.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Good point. I have a circular saw and a hammer drill with a chisel or two. If I'm not worried about saving the concrete sections I can just lever them/bust them out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What happens if the rebar is deeper than the saw blade?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You're assuming there's rebar, which there may well not be. If there is, well, you're out the $10-15 that you spent on the diamond sawblade and you have to find something that can cut deeper. :shrug:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

OSU_Matthew posted:

Right, I did run a few cables from my basement up to my attic for two cameras I want to put in my eaves, but I've had these things sitting around for awhile now and I just want to get them up, so exterior run it is. If my house were vinyl I'd just tuck the cables under the flaps, but it's fiber cement tiles so no go.

It's a short run out the side of a basement window with a previous coax hole and then up behind a gutter and then under my covered porch, where I can just run it along the interior trim, so something small and flat would be great

Late to the party,

Cat 5/6 is low voltage cable and doesn't have the restrictions that other electrical cable has about needing conduit. If it were me, I'd buy a small roll of UV resistant cable in the color of your choice and just run it bare. This will be the least amount of work, and the least visually intrusive solution.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PremiumSupport posted:

Late to the party,

Cat 5/6 is low voltage cable and doesn't have the restrictions that other electrical cable has about needing conduit. If it were me, I'd buy a small roll of UV resistant cable in the color of your choice and just run it bare. This will be the least amount of work, and the least visually intrusive solution.

Ok, cool, thanks! All I'm going for in the end is visually unobtrusive, and I just figured some small square wire mold around the trim would be good. But drat that stuff is expensive, plus I have no idea how interior wiremold would hold up to the elements. Maybe some sort of hollow quarter round would be good.

I'm just trying to not attract attention to the fact that I've got cameras hidden up under the eaves.

Maybe I just need to quit being lazy and pry the boards off the trim boxing on my porch and run it through the columns and trimmed rafters, and drill through the porch floor under the column, caulk it up, and tuck the wire under the cement fiber boards on the last row above the foundation, for the ten feet to cut back through the window well... Don't know why that thought hadn't occurred to me before...

I was too preoccupied thinking about how to run cabling vertically inside exterior walls to stop and think about other elements to tuck it under.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am building a box I need to insulate well. Can I just glue two layers of foam insulation together for an additive insulation effect?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

adorai posted:

I am building a box I need to insulate well. Can I just glue two layers of foam insulation together for an additive insulation effect?

It's not quite 1:1 but it will go up, yeah. How effective does your insulation need to be exactly?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Fender Anarchist posted:

It's not quite 1:1 but it will go up, yeah. How effective does your insulation need to be exactly?
not very. I am building a chilled fermentation chamber for home brewing that will be roughly 9 cubic feet and chilled with a 12v peltier cooler. It could probably just be a cardboard box since I only need to keep it about 10 degrees below ambient. i have no idea how to calculate my needs, but noticed that two 1" sheets are cheaper than a single 2" sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For a setup like that, sealing against air current leakage is probably going to be a far bigger factor than conduction through the walls. That and make sure it's sitting somewhere with stagnant air, having an ambient-temp breeze blow across the box will help pump a lot more heat into it (and up your power needs/exceed the cooling capacity of your cooler) regardless of what insulation you have; forced convection is a bitch.