Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
There's a bunch of FOV and camera options you can mess around with to get the cockpit view how you like it, although I'm just using nose cam. That has a rather glaring issue where there's no virtual rear view mirror or anything though, so it can be kind of a pain in the rear end.

I'm looking to get a fanatec at some point, because i'm just about out of patience with playing on a controller for games like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Looks like a prototype with a glass roof lol thats not so bad. Its good they have that option im not sure its as bad in rl as it is on a screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cojawfee posted:

Did they make that part of the halo invisible? I remember when the formula renault came out on iracing and everyone was freaking out about a big antenna right in the middle of the screen. And here I am in VR looking right through it.

That meltdown was hilarious, especially when someone went in the thread saying it was totally unrealistic and they'd raced in Formula Renault and the antenna was nowhere near that big and someone who was actively in the series came in and said yes it is like that. I did some time running with the Formula Ultimate in AMS which also had the halo and much like the Frenault antenna you just stop noticing it after a while because you're looking at other things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was worth it for the meltdowns of people not understanding that with stereoscopic vision, your brain just paints the antenna out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

njsykora posted:

That meltdown was hilarious, especially when someone went in the thread saying it was totally unrealistic and they'd raced in Formula Renault and the antenna was nowhere near that big and someone who was actively in the series came in and said yes it is like that. I did some time running with the Formula Ultimate in AMS which also had the halo and much like the Frenault antenna you just stop noticing it after a while because you're looking at other things.

Yeah, even the old F1 cars had pretty big antenna stuff right in front of you that you just totally zoned out when you're racing.

The red bull one was pretty big

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah they don't bother me at all. Hell, I use them to help me align with the race line or for helping spot when I'm lined up with my reference points through a corner. Totally not a big deal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I actually just remembered when Reiza added the Renault Fluence and Honda Civic cars to the Copa de Marcas set in AMS there was that hysteria there as well because they both had a bar from the rollcage running across the windshield which again got people raging about how it was going to block their view of the track and after a week everyone forgot it existed.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

GutBomb posted:

I tried 17 with vorpX and while it “works” it doesn’t really work. Head tracking is not linear and you only get 180 degrees of it with no up and down only side to side. I wouldn’t count on anything different there with 18.

I'm running Immersive Screen with F1 2013. True VR doesn't work and I'm ok without it.

As long as the game boots and I can get a stereoscopic cinema display with said third party software, I'm good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Did they make that part of the halo invisible? I remember when the formula renault came out on iracing and everyone was freaking out about a big antenna right in the middle of the screen. And here I am in VR looking right through it.

That's how the brain works. I've been racing with halo cars in VR for some time now, and my brain mostly removes the center bar. Everyone who ever played a sport where you have a cage in front of you (like Hockey, Baseball etc.) knows that you only notice it/it distracts you once the eyes have to scramble in search for something (ball, puck, opponent trying to kill you etc.), and it simply reduces the overall contrast of your vision (at least indoors, outdoors etc. the color of the cage can be a thing [reflecting sunlight etc.]).

The halo really distracts you on TV and in non-VR/3D views, because the brain can't remove it. Once you look at it in 3D, it isn't as dominant as people think.

That's why imo the decision to make it invisible (as an option) was very good, because in real life, you wouldn't notice it that much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You dont focus on the fine aesthetic details when racing, I dont know why randos on reddit dont know that yet.

I did dirt oval racing last night for the first time in iracing, and those cars have giant metal jail bars instead of a windscreen, which as soon as you get moving get completely erased from your vision by your brain, which is trying to keep the car on track, rather than focusing on the bars.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys think it'd be worth it to pick up a cheap racing wheel in the meantime before picking up a fanatec, or just put that towards a fanatec? Logitech driving force pros are going for 120 right now on Amazon and there's assorted stuff popping up for cheap on Craigslist. I really can't stand playing anything like F1 on a controller anymore, but I'm a couple months out on a fanatec.

Edit: it looks like Hori makes a wheel for about 100 bucks. Apparently the wheel quality is good but the pedals are pretty bad. Anyone have any experience with that?

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 5, 2018

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I been using a Driving Force GT for almost 6 years. It works pretty well. Obviously it doesn't have quite the fidelity of the nicer wheels, but it's serviceable.

Eventually I'll get something better, but that will have to wait till after I get my display and GPU stuff sorted out.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CascadeBeta posted:

Do you guys think it'd be worth it to pick up a cheap racing wheel in the meantime before picking up a fanatec, or just put that towards a fanatec? Logitech driving force pros are going for 120 right now on Amazon and there's assorted stuff popping up for cheap on Craigslist. I really can't stand playing anything like F1 on a controller anymore, but I'm a couple months out on a fanatec.

Maybe wait for december, when the Fanatec podium series drops. I guess quite a lot of Fanatec wheelbases will go up for sale from people switching (mostly CSWs I guess)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jay_Zombie posted:

I been using a Driving Force GT for almost 6 years. It works pretty well. Obviously it doesn't have quite the fidelity of the nicer wheels, but it's serviceable.

Eventually I'll get something better, but that will have to wait till after I get my display and GPU stuff sorted out.

I started having issues with win 10 and my dfgt which is why I went thruatmaster which was a mad move I feel.

Driving force GT is a good starter wheel and if you have driver issues there is a way around it.. it's just a pain in the dick. You can get a g920 refurbished right now on eBay for 120 which is tempting as a holdover until fanatec black Friday but I think I'm sitting out

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 5, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

tater_salad posted:

I started having issues with win 10 and my dfgt which is why I went thruatmaster which was a mad move I feel.

Driving force GT is a good starter wheel and if you have driver issues there is a way around it.. it's just a pain in the dick. You can get a g920 refurbished right now on eBay for 120 which is tempting as a holdover until fanatec black Friday but I think I'm sitting out

I wish. I found the one I think you were talking about, and it has 70 dollars shipping. The rest are going for 200.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DFGT is not bad and certainly better than a controller by miles.

The paddles on the DFGT are not great and prone to missed shifts. The pedals are bad, as expected. Overall its more than usable though and for a stopgap wheel it will be fine.

If you can find a T150 for cheap its basically a modern DFGT with nicer guts and real paddles

EDIT: DO NOT pay $120 for a DFGT though, thats within a couple bucks of the T150, so get that if you want to spend the money. If you want to spend a little time hunting, the DFGT's were extremely popular and should be all over craigslist/Facebook/Ebay. I bought my DFGT for $25 US on Facebook marketplace in perfect shape with a gaming chair and a wood stand for the wheel.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 5, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A lot of the Logitech wheels hold their value surprisingly well so if you do buy one it won't be too hard to sell it again for a small or even no loss when you want to upgrade.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah t150s go for about the same as a $150-200 but I can t recommend them the astonishing amount of dead TM wheels I've dealt with as well as the number of forum posts etc makes me not trust their wheels one bit. My dfgt worked well from day 1 used to the day I sold it. I wish I still had it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ordered a load cell and bodnar cable for G27 pedals. i've heard that the pedals matter the most on a limited budget. guess i will find out

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

tater_salad posted:

I haven't run into any problems, but I'm still running Win 7 on my "gaming"* PC (because I'm cheap as gently caress and I didn't do the free upgrade or whatever because I fear change)
The wheel is decent enough, but the pedals are meh. I know I'm losing time on any track with heavy braking. Better pedals with a load cell will be in my future, but not anytime soon.

*I say "gaming" because that's what I use it for, but it's a super duper budget machine. It runs iRacing ok though, which is fine because that's what I use it for mainly. Hell, it even runs my Rift decent enough, but barely.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 5, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah win 10 sees it as a driving force pro which isn't the same so you need to do some futzing to get it to work. Being without a wheel is kind of crappy but at least I've got Forza horizon for now

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You dont focus on the fine aesthetic details when racing, I dont know why randos on reddit dont know that yet.

This is why I still find TOCA 3 to be a fun as gently caress game. I don't care that the polys are kinda low compared to [whatever the new hotness is], it plays great and the grumpy old man in the FMVs amuses me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This is why I still find TOCA 3 to be a fun as gently caress game. I don't care that the polys are kinda low compared to [whatever the new hotness is], it plays great and the grumpy old man in the FMVs amuses me.

That'd be Race Driver 3, not to be confused with TOCA World Touring Cars (aka the first TOCA 3). I go back and forth on my opinions of Race Driver 3 because it had the most stuff by far but it lacked the neat progression gimmicks of RD1+2.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I noticed a dakar rally game is about to drop. Huge open world maps. In a thread the dev said it takes about 20hrs ro complete if you are fast on easy. They emphasize the navigational challenge as the focus but it does have the obligatory "accessable to all trying to be realistic tested by real drivers" so im not sure how the physics will be. Imo itll be a chill game even with dirt or horizon level physics and terrain surfaces.

It was supposed to drop on the 11th so it came up in the steam popular upcoming thing but some poo poo happened with the release in other countries that delayed it to the 25th. It doesnt say on the page but a dev said it in the comments. For whatever its worth its not early access and the devs are responding on steam frequently so its kinda promising imo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/767390/Dakar_18/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

I noticed a dakar rally game is about to drop. Huge open world maps. In a thread the dev said it takes about 20hrs ro complete if you are fast on easy. They emphasize the navigational challenge as the focus but it does have the obligatory "accessable to all trying to be realistic tested by real drivers" so im not sure how the physics will be. Imo itll be a chill game even with dirt or horizon level physics and terrain surfaces.

It was supposed to drop on the 11th so it came up in the steam popular upcoming thing but some poo poo happened with the release in other countries that delayed it to the 25th. It doesnt say on the page but a dev said it in the comments. For whatever its worth its not early access and the devs are responding on steam frequently so its kinda promising imo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/767390/Dakar_18/

:staredog: this looks awesome

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah i looked at some youtube videos today and it looks pretty good i have no idea what settings the people were using and they stuck to mostly 3rd person but there is a 1st person view and its not the best out there but pretty good. Looks similar in handling to the dirt series not quite dirt rally. They are apparently shooting for as real as possible given the map size and they could have been using arcade settings or somwthing no idea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i looked at some youtube videos today and it looks pretty good i have no idea what settings the people were using and they stuck to mostly 3rd person but there is a 1st person view and its not the best out there but pretty good. Looks similar in handling to the dirt series not quite dirt rally. They are apparently shooting for as real as possible given the map size and they could have been using arcade settings or somwthing no idea.

They also said they are targeting VR for Dakar 19, which is what I really want.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Only article i could find

https://www.autosport.com/esports/news/137877/first-impressions-of-hugely-ambitious-dakar-18

The last bit of that article sounds cool

"Dakar 18 is the first in a planned yearly release, and Gomes told Autosport about plans post-launch that could elevate the series into a true motorsport gaming highlight, including the ability to build your own routes and road books for others to contest.

There is also a plan for two players to work together simultaneously, with one gamer as the driver and the other as the navigator."

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Oh poo poo a new assetto corsa hits ea next week too. I hadnt even heard of this one its focusing on a single series but theres rain and night screenshots so it looks closer to whatever ac2 is going to be. I'm assuming its the new engine. gently caress yeah. Forza Horizon 3 drops at the end of the month too.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DogonCrook posted:

Oh poo poo a new assetto corsa hits ea next week too. I hadnt even heard of this one its focusing on a single series but theres rain and night screenshots so it looks closer to whatever ac2 is going to be. I'm assuming its the new engine. gently caress yeah. Forza Horizon 3 drops at the end of the month too.

You mean the BlancPain one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the Blancpain game that I thought was meant to be coming out this year but after showing multiple tracks and cars in a seemingly completed state at shows all year is launching as an early access game with 1 car and 1 track.

Also don't get your racing game news from any of the Motorsport network sites (of which Autosport is one) since pretty much all their gaming articles are sponsored content. They've been doing shitloads of promotion for Nascar Heat 3 all week.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's of course hard to tell just from watching videos, but that Dakar game doesn't seem to have any kind of surface dynamics for deep sand, mud etc. - and if so, why bother?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

Yeah the Blancpain game that I thought was meant to be coming out this year but after showing multiple tracks and cars in a seemingly completed state at shows all year is launching as an early access game with 1 car and 1 track.

lol, seriously? 1 car, 1 track? I'll gladly wait for the finished thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tuo posted:

lol, seriously? 1 car, 1 track? I'll gladly wait for the finished thing.

They're launching with just the Huracan GT3 and Nurburgring GP and adding 1 car and track a month. So when it reaches the full sale price at its 5th update it'll be 2 months from release and only have 5 cars and 5 tracks. Also it won't have multiplayer until the 3rd update.

The schedule they posted is:
Launch: Lamborghini Huracan GT3 + Nurburgring GP
October: Bentley Continental GT3 + Misano
November: BMW M6 GT3 + Paul Ricard
December: Ferrari 488 GT3 + Hungaroring
January 2019: Emil Frey Jaguar GT3 + Zolder (this immediately puts the game out of date as Emil Frey look like they're going to be dropping their Jaguar and going full time with Lexus next year)
February: Honda NSX GT3 + Monza
Full Release Q1: Everything else (which should be 6 more cars and 4 more tracks)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it at least cheap in it's 1 car state?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GhostDog posted:

It's of course hard to tell just from watching videos, but that Dakar game doesn't seem to have any kind of surface dynamics for deep sand, mud etc. - and if so, why bother?

I was hoping it’s a giant open world spintires, but you’re right.

The trailer does also show a stuck car being towed so :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 8, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is it at least cheap in it's 1 car state?

It's €25, which'll mean probably £25 and $30-35. Then it'll be €35 at 3 cars, and €45 at 5 cars.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 8, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you buy in during EA do you get the rest of it for free?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, that's the pitch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I didnt realise it was that bare bones.

On the Dakar front yeah i wouldnt rely on that review or normally post those its just all thats out there right now.

On the terrain deformation it definetly isnt anything close to spintires. They say they model the different surface effects but thats gonna be limited if it doesnt deform.

Anyone who has ever seen the rally video of the codriver begging the dude to pay attention? Lol their current co driver is actually way worse than that guy, its kinda hilarious but for now i would say its non functional and if they dont fix that thats a big problem. Its really bad, he just berates you until he gives up yelling at you and refuses to offer more guidance lol.

E: its so on the nose i thought it was a joke reference to that video when i saw it lol.