Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Photex posted:

Option 1 or 2 will definitely give you more control in a live setting, Option 3 is a little less exciting with Overbridge on the Digitakt

If it ever comes out? I've been waiiiiting 🎶

augias posted:

I have an 8ch behringer rack mixer and i just set my compter monitor and sound card on top of it. Cheap, pretty space efficient and i only care about levels on the channels anyways.

Yeah, a full-size would be a little bit better for performance, but that's basically what I need.

Startyde posted:

Option 3 can be one $ if you cop a used ADC for a nice price. Behringer ada8000 can usually be had for under $100, an old Fostex probably well under $100. Run it in to the twin over ADAT. This way you wouldn't necessarily have to adjust your workflow if you like ITB.

That's a good idea, I completely forgot that there was optical on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Going on a trip in a week and realize I ought to get a travel case for my OP-1. Anyone in here have a suggestion on those hard cases with the foam liners. It'd be cool to have it a little roomier so I could toss in extra cables or pocket operators or something too.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Going on a trip in a week and realize I ought to get a travel case for my OP-1. Anyone in here have a suggestion on those hard cases with the foam liners. It'd be cool to have it a little roomier so I could toss in extra cables or pocket operators or something too.

I have the unit portables case which isn't really a hard case, but it's a bit more than a soft case and it works fine. I can fit the antenna, charging cable, and a set of earbuds in the extra pocket.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dj bobby bieber posted:

Have an I/O and live setup question for everyone.

Right now, I've got a Digitakt (stereo), Analog Four MK2 (stereo), and TB-03 (mono) that I've been plugging into my UAD Apollo Twin, which has two mic/line inputs. Since I have so many channels, I was thinking about getting a cheap analog mixer, running the synths/drums through that, and sending a summed mix to the Apollo. Seems like the cheapest way, and I think folks here have recommended that route as a cheap way to get going.

Option 1: ($) Analog 8 channel mixer, send to UAD (or send UAD to mixer and go to monitor from there)
Option 2: ($$) Get something like a Roland MX-1 as a slightly more integrated mixer
Option 3: ($$$) get more I/O in the form of an interface

My question - are there any disadvantages to this? Also, any recommendations on what should send to the monitors, the UAD or the mixer? Thanks!!!

Option 4: Get a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK like I did for $150 less than the Roland MX-1. I love it, and have very few complaints (mostly related to learning curve and somewhat confusing info regarding sends/etc). There are definite caveats (channels 1-12 go into your DAW pre-fader and then you either have to return them back/do all your mix analogue and send 13/14- your final stereo mix- to the DAW, but I have 13/14 always sending anyway...I’m not doing a good job of articulating what I mean but it’s definitely not hard to work around/with the mixer’s quirk once you wrap your head around it) but nothing beats it/its larger sibling for the price, IMO. Also the built-in effects are a nice perk.

Edit: The PDF manual’s readily available online if you google it and does a good job of explaining the hardware and how all of the sends/returns and USB I/O work, which should give you an idea of whether it’d be a fit for you.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 28, 2018

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

havelock posted:

I have the unit portables case which isn't really a hard case, but it's a bit more than a soft case and it works fine. I can fit the antenna, charging cable, and a set of earbuds in the extra pocket.

Same. I've carted mine around to LOTS of places in crammed backpacks and messenger bags and it's no worse for the wear.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Dammit I splurged again :negative:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if you can enjoy palying that, more power to u :respek:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah that new sequencer looks super neat. It looks like an overkill for a drum box but that erica synths techno system sounds soo good, it's much much more than a tr909 and an acid box.

Plus I get stereo mixers that are seriously lacking in my MN shared system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmpr642GAbc&t=510s

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 30, 2018

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Someone talk me down from selling my MPC to get a Deluge.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

snorch posted:

What model MPC do you have? This is important.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

snorch posted:

Deluge isn't great for beat making. Doable, usable, competent, but not velocity sensitive or large pads.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Put whatever you want to sell in a closet for a month. If you don't miss it, sell it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I just cancelled my OP-1 order with a local store (Industrie Music). Am heartbroken. I put it in in June and since then it's been nothing but fuckery. TE even put them on sale on their website instead of filling their back orders! Finally after they got back to my days old request for an update it turns out the upcoming shipment won't have any and their distributers don't know when they'll get more.

So I'm waiting to hear back from a chain store website (Store DJ) to see what they say but I don't have high hopes. I'd just order a Deluge but it doesn't seem very bus-portable, which is definitely important for my situation, and since there are no local resellers I'd have to pay import bullshit despite the fact that they're New Zealanders and I'm Australian and have no local warranty or anything.

edit: yeah they don't know anything either. deluge time, i guess.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 31, 2018

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
It's weird as didn't store dj just listed the op1 for their spring sale?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

I just cancelled my OP-1 order with a local store (Industrie Music). Am heartbroken. I put it in in June and since then it's been nothing but fuckery. TE even put them on sale on their website instead of filling their back orders! Finally after they got back to my days old request for an update it turns out the upcoming shipment won't have any and their distributers don't know when they'll get more.

So I'm waiting to hear back from a chain store website (Store DJ) to see what they say but I don't have high hopes. I'd just order a Deluge but it doesn't seem very bus-portable, which is definitely important for my situation, and since there are no local resellers I'd have to pay import bullshit despite the fact that they're New Zealanders and I'm Australian and have no local warranty or anything.

edit: yeah they don't know anything either. deluge time, i guess.

What's "bus portable"?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Plavski posted:

What's "bus portable"?

I think it means “you can take it on the bus.”

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think it means “you can take it on the bus.”

Oh. Well in that case, the Deluge is incredibly "bus-portable". I use it on the bus all the time.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

MrSargent posted:

What model MPC do you have? This is important.

1000 with big screen and jjos.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

snorch posted:

1000 with big screen and jjos.

For beatmaking, I would stick with the MPC. I don't think the Deluge is a piece of gear that would replace the MPC but others can probably provide more input.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
poo poo the big screen 1/2.5k seems like the perfect centerpiece to me. It’s crazy how much work jj is still doing on that platform.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Maybe I'm just dazzled by the grid sequencer and tight workflow, which is something I'm still getting the hang of with jjos.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So - My wife surprised me with a Theremin because I've jokingly referred to wanting to make space sounds at our house. However, she did not get an amp. Given that I know jack and poo poo about this, I thought I'd ask if there were general guidelines in terms of wattage, brand, features, etc.... Budget is 100-300. Any recommendations?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mulloy posted:

So - My wife surprised me with a Theremin because I've jokingly referred to wanting to make space sounds at our house. However, she did not get an amp. Given that I know jack and poo poo about this, I thought I'd ask if there were general guidelines in terms of wattage, brand, features, etc.... Budget is 100-300. Any recommendations?

Assuming you just want something for playing it around the house and not performing on stage with it, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004LRP56W/ref=psdcmw_11966221_t2_B0001POENI?th=1&psc=1

Or one of the little Roland Cube-series amps should work fine:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Cube10GX--roland-cube-10gx-10-watt-1x8-inch-cosm-combo-amp-with-fx

The Cube has some built in amp simulation and effects stuff that will let you modify how the Theremin sounds, should that appeal to you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Isn’t the general consensus that keyboard amps are bunk (unless your performance space doesn’t have a PA and requires one) and that you’re better off plugging into a mixer/interface and monitors or PA system? Because synths have line-level outs unlike guitars that need pickup amplification?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

In general keyboard amps aren't great but they tend to be a cheaper option than most if you just want to noodle around in your spare bedroom or whatever. I'm sure there are a couple that aren't terrible. That said, there are a lot of powered PA speakers that are in a form factor that allows you to use them as stage monitors, and a lot of those will have a line-level input. That's also a decent option, though you'll have less in the way of volume controls and headphone outs or whatever.

Theremins, though, are kind of oddballs in that most of them still stick to strange old standards from the electronics kit days. I have a Moog Etherwave and the output is definitely hotter than a guitar, I think it falls somewhere between pro and consumer line level. It works just fine through most guitar amps, though I had one crappy little cheapo Orange something-or-other that couldn't take that hot of an input without breaking up in a very unattractive fashion. It was great, until it died.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Isn’t the general consensus that keyboard amps are bunk (unless your performance space doesn’t have a PA and requires one) and that you’re better off plugging into a mixer/interface and monitors or PA system? Because synths have line-level outs unlike guitars that need pickup amplification?

Yeah, but the dude needs some way to hear his Theremin - they usually ain’t got speakers built in.

Also, you’d be surprised at how many small venues have no, or poo poo PA where you’re better off just bringing your own amp (or just use a bass amp; my KC-150 does double duty as both a keyboard amp and also for my bass guitar, since it does have a high-impedance input with a gain knob).

They’re also necessary if you’re playing in an actual band and have to do band practices, because then you get to compete with a drummer that has no volume knob and guitarists who refuse to turn theirs down!

But either way, once you’re playing shows at the level where keyboard amps become superfluous, you’re likely a professional playing larger venues with much higher volume requirements than portable amps can reasonably fill, which is why the largest, most powerful keyboard amps tend to be a lot smaller and lower wattage than the oversized 4x12 and 8x12 stacks guitarists and bassists start accumulating as if they’re in a competition - they’re mostly for practices and small shows at dingy dive bars.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 5, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

In general keyboard amps aren't great but they tend to be a cheaper option than most if you just want to noodle around in your spare bedroom or whatever.....

.....Theremins, though, are kind of oddballs in that most of them still stick to strange old standards from the electronics kit days. I have a Moog Etherwave and the output is definitely hotter than a guitar, I think it falls somewhere between pro and consumer line level. It works just fine through most guitar amps, though I had one crappy little cheapo Orange something-or-other that couldn't take that hot of an input without breaking up in a very unattractive fashion. It was great, until it died.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, but the dude needs some way to hear his Theremin - they usually ain’t got speakers built in.

Yeah, but

a) There’s a good chance that homie already has a pair of monitors, given that their partner purchased them a weird niche musical instrument. That option doesn’t cost money and probably gives a better result for home use than a keyboard amp.

b) If they don’t already have monitors and/or are looking for a way to play the theremin at home then a set of decent budget monitors ($200-$300 depending on sales/used market/etc) + a cheap interface or mixer ($100) is going to give them a lot more mileage than a keyboard amp.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also, you’d be surprised at how many small venues have no, or poo poo PA where you’re better off just bringing your own amp (or just use a bass amp; my KC-150 does double duty as both a keyboard amp and also for my bass guitar, since it does have a high-impedance input with a gain knob).

They’re also necessary if you’re playing in an actual band and have to do band practices, because then you get to compete with a drummer that has no volume knob and guitarists who refuse to turn theirs down!

This makes sense.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, but

a) There’s a good chance that homie already has a pair of monitors, given that their partner purchased them a weird niche musical instrument. That option doesn’t cost money and probably gives a better result for home use than a keyboard amp.

b) If they don’t already have monitors and/or are looking for a way to play the theremin at home then a set of decent budget monitors ($200-$300 depending on sales/used market/etc) + a cheap interface or mixer ($100) is going to give them a lot more mileage than a keyboard amp.

If by monitors you mean active speakers, I have a pair of these already. Would I just need to get a 3.55mm to 1/4" converter of some kind? Also as far as mixers go, any recommendations? They also have RCA inputs on the back.

My whole family and in-laws play various instruments but it's all "normal", nobody really does electronic stuff. Personally I've messed around with software but never had any proper equipment, so this is kind of my wife's way of getting me into the family band.

Mulloy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 5, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just finished the biggest DIY project I've ever worked on.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mulloy posted:

If by monitors you mean active speakers, I have a pair of these already. Would I just need to get a 3.55mm to 1/4" converter of some kind? Also as far as mixers go, any recommendations? They also have RCA inputs on the back.

My whole family and in-laws play various instruments but it's all "normal", nobody really does electronic stuff. Personally I've messed around with software but never had any proper equipment, so this is kind of my wife's way of getting me into the family band.

Those will work, although the AV-40s are less ‘studio monitors’ and more ‘nice consumer speakers’ despite their manufacturer and labeling. That said, I’m sure that tons of budget rigs use them for that purpose without issue.

I don’t mean that to be down on them/you and the distinction shouldn’t matter to you in any practical “I’m mixing my own tracks” sense (unless you want it to, in which case there are several good options in your budget) but I’d be concerned about potentially damaging them if you run too hot of a signal through them. Studio monitors are generally built to put up with the rigors of tracking vocals/instruments in a way that consumer speakers aren’t.

In either case you’ll probably want a mixer or interface to connect your instrument(s) and mic, if you decide to get one, to rather than plugging your theremin straight into the speakers themselves. That way you can control the volume/level of signal going into your speakers and avoid blowing them up. Focusrite is pretty much the standard for <$500 interfaces (no sliders, very few knobs, control 90% of stuff with your DAW) and there are many good, portable mixers (lots of sliders and knobs, usually only send a master stereo signal into your computer rather than multiple channels at the sub-$450 level) made by Soundcraft, Mackie, and Yamaha. Given that you don’t seem to be interested in multitrack recording into your computer I’m thinking that a mixer will probably serve your needs best at the moment.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

How long did it take you? The biggest Ive done was the x0xb0x, which all told was probably like 12 solid hours of soldering, maybe a bit less it's been a while. That looks... significantly more complex, especially all those front panel connections.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

toadee posted:

How long did it take you? The biggest Ive done was the x0xb0x, which all told was probably like 12 solid hours of soldering, maybe a bit less it's been a while. That looks... significantly more complex, especially all those front panel connections.

Give or take 18 hours. Of course I have old-man eyes and bad lighting so I double and triple check stuff before soldering it. That being said, I hosed up really bad a couple of times and had to remove the panel after putting it on (and soldering it to the daughterboard). I had to remove the pots, desolder some extra long legs that are added to the lugs - 18 of them - and remake/reapply. Basically I misread part of the build guide and didn't have enough space to properly seat the pots against the panel.

Now I'm going through some debugging because I've screwed something up or have a bad chip that's causing some issues with the shift register not cycling correctly. I'll figure it out and shouldn't dissuade you from building it. I'm a loving idiot moron and can get it done. It is 2 BIG boards filled with components though...

e: so many loving resistors and diodes...

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

Give or take 18 hours. Of course I have old-man eyes and bad lighting so I double and triple check stuff before soldering it. That being said, I hosed up really bad a couple of times and had to remove the panel after putting it on (and soldering it to the daughterboard). I had to remove the pots, desolder some extra long legs that are added to the lugs - 18 of them - and remake/reapply. Basically I misread part of the build guide and didn't have enough space to properly seat the pots against the panel.

Now I'm going through some debugging because I've screwed something up or have a bad chip that's causing some issues with the shift register not cycling correctly. I'll figure it out and shouldn't dissuade you from building it. I'm a loving idiot moron and can get it done. It is 2 BIG boards filled with components though...

e: so many loving resistors and diodes...

Good stuff! Yeah man don't beat yourself up we've all been down the unsoldering road.... good thing you socketed those ICs!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

PSA: new A4 and Rytm OSes. More detents on LFOs and dual VCO machine(!!) for Rytm

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

An update to my whole OP-1 quest: I managed to score one on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist, but owned by eBay), totally mint, for AU$1000 (USD$710.88 or 614.34 Euro), due to an unlikely chain of events.

Since I last posted, several attempts at getting new and second hand OP-1s fell through. The cruellest was I found an eBay Buy It Now listing from a reputable shop (Better Music) for around $1400 before breakfast, which made for a very happy morning before they rang up and said that they somehow accidentally crafted an elaborate eBay listing totally on accident and gave me a refund. I guess they fell on their keyboard or something?

So last night I couldn't sleep so I was browsing on my phone late, and found that listing, four weeks old, on Gumtree a suburb over. I assumed that it was either a scam or the poster just forgot to take it down but I went ahead and sent them a message asking if it were still available, laughed at the idea that it was, and eventually got to sleep. The next morning, I got a reply that it was. Not only that but it turns out, not only was the OP-1 in perfect condition (apart from missing one of the rubber bands that holds the weird box together) and was it very much not a scam but the guy was going overseas tomorrow and if I hadn't contacted them he would have pulled it. So if there is anyone else out there in my position, don't lose hope, you too may be able to buy a thing.

Anyway, I have had it for a few hours and are already firmly in love with it. Are there any must have presets/resources/tutorials/whatever?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

An update to my whole OP-1 quest: I managed to score one on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist, but owned by eBay), totally mint, for AU$1000 (USD$710.88 or 614.34 Euro), due to an unlikely chain of events.

Since I last posted, several attempts at getting new and second hand OP-1s fell through. The cruellest was I found an eBay Buy It Now listing from a reputable shop (Better Music) for around $1400 before breakfast, which made for a very happy morning before they rang up and said that they somehow accidentally crafted an elaborate eBay listing totally on accident and gave me a refund. I guess they fell on their keyboard or something?

So last night I couldn't sleep so I was browsing on my phone late, and found that listing, four weeks old, on Gumtree a suburb over. I assumed that it was either a scam or the poster just forgot to take it down but I went ahead and sent them a message asking if it were still available, laughed at the idea that it was, and eventually got to sleep. The next morning, I got a reply that it was. Not only that but it turns out, not only was the OP-1 in perfect condition (apart from missing one of the rubber bands that holds the weird box together) and was it very much not a scam but the guy was going overseas tomorrow and if I hadn't contacted them he would have pulled it. So if there is anyone else out there in my position, don't lose hope, you too may be able to buy a thing.

Anyway, I have had it for a few hours and are already firmly in love with it. Are there any must have presets/resources/tutorials/whatever?

RedMeansRecording and Cuckoo's early stuff are useful.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yea I liked his NES sample set.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Deluge stock updates: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

quote:

If you placed your order prior to Sept 6th, 2018 we expect to ship your Deluge: Between Sept 17-Oct 5 (earliest orders shipped first)
If you were to place an order TODAY, we would expect to ship your Deluge: Between October 7-12
At this point, we expect to have stock in our online shop: Mid-November.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

Oldstench posted:

Wow. Did you get the synthcube complete kit, or source the parts yourself? They had a 20% off sale last week and I almost bit, but I'm not confident in my skills to take that leap yet. So I got one of the last moffenzeef jarmageddons in circulation.

Hope you fix your porblem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

HerzogZwo posted:

Wow. Did you get the synthcube complete kit, or source the parts yourself? They had a 20% off sale last week and I almost bit, but I'm not confident in my skills to take that leap yet. So I got one of the last moffenzeef jarmageddons in circulation.

Hope you fix your porblem!

The Klee is not an "easy" build, but it was easier than I expected. The boards themselves are fairly spacious, it's the mechanicals (switches, jacks, etc) that are really tricky. I got the full synthcube kit, and was very glad I did. Sourcing passives and chips is easy enough, but getting exactly the right pots and switches and whatnot would have just been a drag. Totally worth it for them to do it instead.

There's almost too much build documentation for the Klee. And it can be a little scattered, I'm never quite sure where I read something. There are also things here and there that only apply to a specific PCB version, and it's not always as clear as it could be. If you do end up getting one, really do read through every document first. Don't just dive right in.