Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bushisms.txt posted:

I wanted to do animal House, but I'm sure my audiences modern sensibilities will have too many issues to really enjoy it.

A Few Good Men could be an upbeat-ish option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

LesterGroans posted:

A Few Good Men could be an upbeat-ish option.

Definitely on the list.

I'm currently looking at

Friday the 13th
Tremors
Wild Things
A few good men
Cop car
Beauty Shop

It's all couples, so I'm sure wild things will be a good time.

I'm waffling on Super cause I haven't seen it and i don't know how far things get with it. The actors are crowd favorites though.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Stonybrook updates:

https://twitter.com/PBCTenantsUnion/status/1036970983524130816?s=19

https://twitter.com/PBCTenantsUnion/status/1037066158288109568?s=19

https://twitter.com/PBCTenantsUnion/status/1037134844818546691?s=19

busy day

oh, and crystal is in the hospital for dehydration cause shes been working on this like crazy and not taking care of herself

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh my loving god :stonk:

S. Craig Zahler is a loving Nazi and I think I'm gonna destroy any copies of his movies I see from here on out

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

He's been turning his own filmography into a galaxy brain meme that ends with "cops torturing minorities is dope"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gatts posted:

....like is it about irony or something? Is the message that this is the right wing power fantasy and it's bad and it's ludicrous but played horrifically straight? Why would anyone make this and be straight about it?

Is this the first time you've heard of Mel Gibson?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Is this the first time you've heard of Mel Gibson?

I don't think Mel is the one he's questioning, and frankly, yeah, I sort of agree, Zahler was legitimately doing fine when he kept it at a dogwhistle level. I don't know what he has to gain out of just holding a neon sign over his head saying "I'M A loving NAZI" instead of making movies that pass as normal to non-Nazis.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Side note: I just saw a headline somewhere that said "Dragged Across Concrete ushers in a tamer Craig Zahler".

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

CPL593H posted:

Side note: I just saw a headline somewhere that said "Dragged Across Concrete ushers in a tamer Craig Zahler".

Daily Stormer?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Funny loving definition of "tame" there, judging by that other review

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Funny loving definition of "tame" there, judging by that other review

Prob just means in terms of graphic violence.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The only time anyone should use the words, "political correctness" are those instances were they immediately follow with, "is extremely good." This rarely occurs however.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You mean the guy who made the nazi movie for nazis might be a nazi? What the????

porfiria posted:

The only time anyone should use the words, "political correctness" are those instances were they immediately follow with, "is extremely good." This rarely occurs however.

The term has become so meaningless. People will call anything political correctness if they don't like it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
lol I defended S. Craig Zahler on an online forum once

Egg on my face, let me tell you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

They are.

And that’s good. People don’t want this except them. And that’s one of the reasons why the producers of that guys movies (rip bone tomahawk being a classic) are more leaning towards right wing stuff. They sell to them more as a market that isn’t being catered too.

Having not seen any of his stuff can anyone explain what's so special about bone tomahawk except "waaah Hollywood doesn't make westerns anymore and certainly not showing savage injuns as they are and also this dude getting sawn in half is loving siiiiiick and gnarly"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just finished Hitler: A Film from Germany, and the only notable thing the whole seven-hour-experience taught me is that Hitler was a way bigger film buff than I'll ever be.

How'd you see it?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

lol I defended S. Craig Zahler on an online forum once

Egg on my face, let me tell you.

When Bone Tomahawk went on Prime I watched like 5 minutes of it, was extremely not feeling it, and bailed. That's felt like an exponentially better decision over time to the point where it feels like possibly the absolute best case scenario for bailing on something early.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

Having not seen any of his stuff can anyone explain what's so special about bone tomahawk except "waaah Hollywood doesn't make westerns anymore and certainly not showing savage injuns as they are and also this dude getting sawn in half is loving siiiiiick and gnarly"

Its a good movie

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It didn't appear to be any kind of white supremacist chud site, it was just some lovely third rate movie review thing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Prob just means in terms of graphic violence.

I read the review and that's basically the case but anyone with that much of a lack of insight into what they're seeing has no business writing film reviews.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Power of Pecota posted:

When Bone Tomahawk went on Prime I watched like 5 minutes of it, was extremely not feeling it, and bailed. That's felt like an exponentially better decision over time to the point where it feels like possibly the absolute best case scenario for bailing on something early.

It's a good movie. I still like it, while fully seeing how problematic it actually is. Hell, I really enjoyed Block 99, even when realizing that the main character was a (perhaps former) white supremacist. But my perspective has definitely changed, knowing who made it and where his politics lie. I don't feel comfortable watching it, even though I'd say it's a good movie.

I still love the soundtrack, so very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0IP3dbJq0

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Its a good movie

It's an okay movie, but I certainly think much less of it when I now know that the guy who made is a frothing at the mouth nazi and the scary monsters are basically just "browns want to kill and eat white people".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean I probably won’t rewatch it, but I really dug it. Anything with Patrick Wilson I end up liking a lot. Either by chance or because he makes it so.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I mean I probably won’t rewatch it, but I really dug it. Anything with Patrick Wilson I end up liking a lot. Either by chance or because he makes it so.

I honestly forgot Patrick Wilson was in it and aside from Kurt Russell I'm struggling to remember who else was in it. Aside from that one gross scene the movie didn't make much of an impression on me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CPL593H posted:

I honestly forgot Patrick Wilson was in it and aside from Kurt Russell I'm struggling to remember who else was in it. Aside from that one gross scene the movie didn't make much of an impression on me.

Matthew Fox

That's all I have to add

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bushisms.txt posted:

Definitely on the list.

I'm currently looking at

Friday the 13th
Tremors
Wild Things
A few good men
Cop car
Beauty Shop

It's all couples, so I'm sure wild things will be a good time.

I'm waffling on Super cause I haven't seen it and i don't know how far things get with it. The actors are crowd favorites though.

No one's said Flatliners, which is a crime, 'cause Flatliners owns.

Also, to change it up from live action, he was the star of Balto.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

The best part of the movie was the troupe's travel through the landscape, shooting the poo poo. I'd watch sequels of nothing but the journies of Kurt Russel, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, and That Old Guy From Cabin In The Woods.

I thought it was plenty memorable, even outside of the shock scenes. It was very effective in lulling you into a sense of security, even when you know they're getting closer to trouble. When things go south, it feels stressful. In seconds, their trek turns life-threatening and they're adapting to a bizarre new situation. It's good.

But then you get the scene where the Native American starts talking about how they don't stand a chance against their inbred off-shoot 'faction', and yeah, it makes you feel a bit dirty.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Do people really find Bone Tomahawk that compelling, did the awful cinematography and staging of the opening threat scene not just turn people off automatically, like, "Oh my god, this is straight amateur hour"?

That fuckin' garbage bigfoot movie Big Legend I saw a week ago had a more compelling opening than Bone Tomahawk, even if it's just as irritating to sit through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the characters enough. But don’t ask me to recount anything, I’ve only seen it once and that was when it came out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If people here didn't mention Bone Tomahawk as often as they do I probably would never have thought about it again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People talk about a lot of weird movies I’d like to forget exist here

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSD6VFUVbsQ

Tag yourself.

K. Waste posted:

Do people really find Bone Tomahawk that compelling, did the awful cinematography and staging of the opening threat scene not just turn people off automatically, like, "Oh my god, this is straight amateur hour"?

What can I say, I liked the characters and I'm a sucker for road trip movies.

e: oh gently caress, I was thinking "David Arquette arriving at the town in the middle of the night wasn't terribly bad, what's he talking about." Then I remembered that wasn't the opening. The first scene is that terrible scene with Sid Haig that's shot like the cold open of an X-Files episode haha

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 5, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: oh gently caress, I was thinking "David Arquette arriving at the town in the middle of the night wasn't terribly bad, what's he talking about." Then I remembered that wasn't the opening. The first scene is that terrible scene with Sid Haig that's shot like the cold open of an X-Files episode haha

Lol, like, exactly.

You know what the better than/actually good version of Bone Tomahawk is?

Cannibal! The Musical Here's how that cold opens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alqtKb17Ggo&t=42s

That's def a YTotD, too

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

K. Waste posted:

Lol, like, exactly.

Cannibal! The Musical Here's how that cold opens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alqtKb17Ggo&t=42s

That's def a YTotD, too

Hell yeah.

I'll take libertarian filmmakers over nazi filmmakers any day of the week.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

People talk about a lot of weird movies I’d like to forget exist here

I don't even feel this strongly about it. It's just a movie that I saw that I don't really care about.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hell yeah.

I'll take libertarian filmmakers over nazi filmmakers any day of the week.

Jesus that's a real race to the bottom.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Jesus that's a real race to the bottom.

We got a real smorgasbord of choices in Hollywood these days.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

K. Waste posted:

Lol, like, exactly.

That's def a YTotD, too

Legit top 3 musical

Frozen stole so much from it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Legit top 3 musical

Frozen stole so much from it

You mean Let's Build a Snowman, don't you?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I'm not 2001, but specifically the jump cut between the Beyond the Infinite sequence and whatever the gently caress is going on in Marooned

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

You mean Let's Build a Snowman, don't you?

Wasn't that Yentl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Actually the good version of Bone Tomahawk is Ravenous

• Locked thread