Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a deleted scene where Luke is constructing his lightsaber and it uses a special crystal to power the device. I'm glad they got rid of it because nothing makes Star Wars more boring than bringing in more technical details like midichlorians or the light speed fuel in Solo.

Too late, Rogue One mentions crystals briefly from that blind monk character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Tasers that knock people unconscious.

They don't do that. They prevent you from doing much with your muscles and can disorient you, but when they stop tasing you you can start fighting again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I read the novels before I watched the movies and it's there in quite some detail. Apparently every Lightsaber has a crystal to "focus the light", which also gives the saber its color. It's hard to find good crystals on Tatooine, so Luke also makes the crystal in some furnace and has to be real careful with the cooling down process so it doesn't crack because that would be bad. Also the tension in the scene happens when he pushes the button to turn it on the first time and prays to the Force it doesn't blow his arm off, again.

I was confused when the scene wasn't in the movie because it was quite interesting, the technical details, you know? I was a weird kid and wanted to study engineering, went on to do that, hated it and became a cool chemist instead. Now I know the crystal stuff is bullshit.

Back to teenage me, however, I owned all the Star Wars expanded universe books and there's a series with the next generation of teenage Jedi apprentices and their wacky hijinks, and they all go on elaborate quests to find crystals that are ~just right~ and ~special~ for them. Chewbacca's son has to lasso the tonsil stones (crystal!) off a wookie-eating giant plant on their jungle homeworld (seriously), one of the Solo kids uses the Force to pull the crystal out of a freaking gas giant's core. And there's a cool and troubled warrior princess Jedi who walks into a geyser in-between eruptions to chip a crystal off the walls. She overestimates herself and it's chipped but she builds the saber anyway out of a dragon tooth she hand-carves or whatever, then turns it on and it blows her loving hand off because she's bad at building stuff and rash and that's a super important message, don't be a loving idiot and ask someone good at electronics for help when making murder weapons at the age of 15. Anyway I loved the callback to the very first Star Wars novel because I was a weirdo nerd, and I guess I still am because how do I remember all of this???????

Rancor tooth :science:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

synthetik posted:

Wasn’t the brain stealing cycles bit from Hyperion as well? I thought it ended up being that everytime someone went through one of the travel portals the AI used the brainpower or something.

In the first two books the machine intelligences are stealing brain cycles from people when they teleport. In the second series, they're stealing processing power from people constantly through the crucifixes.

poo poo gets weird in those books but they're some of my favourites.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The technology in star wars all runs on "gently caress you it's space magic." There is faster than light travel, space wizards, and laser swords because the plot needs it. It isn't trying to be hard sci fi. The matrix needs people batteries because the plot demands it. The details don't really matter.

I figured there was a big complex system that human batteries were just a part of. The details didn't matter because that would be boring.

I kinda like that they never try to explain light travel in star wars honestly. Its not important. The story just needs that consumer tech to exist. How it works in particular isn't important beyond "we need time to spin up the hyperdrive!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Simply Simon posted:

I read the novels before I watched the movies and it's there in quite some detail. Apparently every Lightsaber has a crystal to "focus the light", which also gives the saber its color. It's hard to find good crystals on Tatooine, so Luke also makes the crystal in some furnace and has to be real careful with the cooling down process so it doesn't crack because that would be bad. Also the tension in the scene happens when he pushes the button to turn it on the first time and prays to the Force it doesn't blow his arm off, again.

I was confused when the scene wasn't in the movie because it was quite interesting, the technical details, you know? I was a weird kid and wanted to study engineering, went on to do that, hated it and became a cool chemist instead. Now I know the crystal stuff is bullshit.

Back to teenage me, however, I owned all the Star Wars expanded universe books and there's a series with the next generation of teenage Jedi apprentices and their wacky hijinks, and they all go on elaborate quests to find crystals that are ~just right~ and ~special~ for them. Chewbacca's son has to lasso the tonsil stones (crystal!) off a wookie-eating giant plant on their jungle homeworld (seriously), one of the Solo kids uses the Force to pull the crystal out of a freaking gas giant's core. And there's a cool and troubled warrior princess Jedi who walks into a geyser in-between eruptions to chip a crystal off the walls. She overestimates herself and it's chipped but she builds the saber anyway out of a dragon tooth she hand-carves or whatever, then turns it on and it blows her loving hand off because she's bad at building stuff and rash and that's a super important message, don't be a loving idiot and ask someone good at electronics for help when making murder weapons at the age of 15. Anyway I loved the callback to the very first Star Wars novel because I was a weirdo nerd, and I guess I still am because how do I remember all of this???????

Jedi using crystals to build sabers has been A Thing for a looooooong time, it just never appeared in the books. I think its cool since you still don't know how the crystals work exactly, and it builds on the mysticism of jedi.

Justin Godscock posted:

Too late, Rogue One mentions crystals briefly from that blind monk character.

Ahhh I felt like there was a tiny reference somewhere that I couldn't quite remember. Good catch!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

I kinda like that they never try to explain light travel in star wars honestly. Its not important. The story just needs that consumer tech to exist. How it works in particular isn't important beyond "we need time to spin up the hyperdrive!"

Yup. Good soft science fiction doesn't bother explaining the mechanics; it works exactly the way it needs to for the story. True for any advanced technology, really; laser swords? They just exist. Laser guns? Somebody invented them, they get manufactured now. Deflector shields? Don't worry about it. Sound in space? Hey buddy, this isn't reality so I can do whatever I want.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They should adequately explain how it works, just not why

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

They should adequately explain how it works, just not why

At a certain point the distinction between those two blurs.

But that said yes, they should explain the powers and limitations of those things, so that we can have actual drama about it. If they go "we need to spin up the hyperdrive" one week, and then next week they just jump to space instantly with no explanation, that's bad. How did they do that? Why didn't they do that last time?

Still, I don't really need these things explained, I just need them to feel like someone understands them. I love sci-fi that starts in-media-res and uses all this stuff that they never explain, as long as it looks like somebody put the time and effort into thinking it all through. Like Ghost in the Shell. They don't explain how most of the technology really works, they use devices and they don't even talk about them so you have to infer everything's function, but you get the strong impression that the author absolutely does think those things through and has nailed them down.

This doesn't really apply to what you said, but I love it so much I'm gonna post it anyways https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tolkien-esque worldbuilding sucks, especially in the limited runtime of a movie. It's better to tease at the world outside of the story than to go into agonizing detail until it's mundane.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Simply Simon posted:

There's a trap about to be sprung.

1. It was Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca, and he built his lightsaber around lenses scavenged from abandoned Rebellion-era equipment leftover at the Massassi Temple.
2. Tenel Ka got her original crystals from inside the lava vent of a volcano and did notice that they were flawed, true, but it was less her lightsaber blowing her hand off and more to the point:
3. Pre-Force-Hitler Jacen Solo was sparring with Tenel Ka when her lightsaber failed and he cut her arm off. He did build his lightsaber with a Corusca gem he got from the gas giant Yavin
:goonsay:
So... why the gently caress do I still know this from 20 years ago?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

People hate, but I maintain that Jace and Jaina would make a much much better story than what we got in Force Awakens and Last Jedi.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's always a chance they show up in the cartoons since Thrawn became canon

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Phanatic posted:

By the way, what the gently caress was Seraph? In Neo's matrix-sight, he's shown as looking radically different from everyone else, man or machine.

He's a log in screen

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With the Matrix, I liked to imagine the machines were self-aware enough to have a sense of mercy and empathy. After the second Renaissance, humans nuked robots, robots fought back, humans blocked out the sun, robots crippled humanity with bioweapons, but went short of driving humanity to extinction. Maybe they got lonely. The battery explanation is just a cover to allow the whole 'glitch' that is basically Working As Intended going. Of course it raises other questions :

-Why were the machines so reliant on solar power? Robots would be extremely well suited to harness nuclear power for their energy needs.

-When the machines went and culled everyone in Zion 5 times, did they clean up all the blood and wreckage and stuff? Does each starting group get an immaculate Zion to populate? And wouldn't it take a pretty long time for the population to grow from 25 to half a million?

-Did the machines build Zion itself? That actually makes more sense ; one of the leaders points out nobody knows how the machines that keep the place running even work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Does anybody pay attention to the movie openings? I must have seen Predator dozens of times while growing up and I never realized they showed his space ship in the opening sequence.

I know I don't. I watch Space Jam every few weeks; still don't know how Michael Jordan gets into the cartoon world.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Zion was a useful pressure release valve. The Matrix seems like it MIGHT have the ability to either rewrite memories (Like Cypher wants) or that whoever Neo would choose to begin repopulating Zion would be the only ones in on the secret in order to explain how they find the city, how they escaped the Matrix in the first place, etc. After Zion got populated enough through rescues and births, the secret would die with them.

Now, there is the issue of the benevolent AI that is supposed to be running a Matrix/systems inside Zion. Maybe the chosen of Neo are fed a false story that they were in there the whole time and never in the 'evil Matrix' and are there purposely to be the last hope of humanity to fight the machines.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Zaphod42 posted:

At a certain point the distinction between those two blurs.

But that said yes, they should explain the powers and limitations of those things, so that we can have actual drama about it. If they go "we need to spin up the hyperdrive" one week, and then next week they just jump to space instantly with no explanation, that's bad. How did they do that? Why didn't they do that last time?

Still, I don't really need these things explained, I just need them to feel like someone understands them. I love sci-fi that starts in-media-res and uses all this stuff that they never explain, as long as it looks like somebody put the time and effort into thinking it all through. Like Ghost in the Shell. They don't explain how most of the technology really works, they use devices and they don't even talk about them so you have to infer everything's function, but you get the strong impression that the author absolutely does think those things through and has nailed them down.
Ghost in the Shell creator Shirow Masamune was insane regarding explaining how all the poo poo worked in his manga. The gutters between panels would be filled with footnotes regarding firearms, mecha, and computer tech. Hell, in his weird magic series Orion he'd try to explain magic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ghost in the Shell creator Shirow Masamune was insane regarding explaining how all the poo poo worked in his manga. The gutters between panels would be filled with footnotes regarding firearms, mecha, and computer tech. Hell, in his weird magic series Orion he'd try to explain magic.

dude even explained how the hardcore lesbian sex scene in GiTS was only a metaphorical representation of what was actually going on, which was a cyber-brain interface thing

of course, the lettering for that explanation was hard to read because he was obviously writing it with his non-dominant hand

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
and it was probably in japanese or something

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Screaming Idiot posted:

dude even explained how the hardcore lesbian sex scene in GiTS was only a metaphorical representation of what was actually going on, which was a cyber-brain interface thing

of course, the lettering for that explanation was hard to read because he was obviously writing it with his non-dominant hand
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Then Batou cyber-jumps in to Kusanagi's lesbian orgy & gets sick because the sensations he's receiving were designed for female organs.

Shirow Masamune was insanely weird.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Leviathan Wakes, the first book in The Expanse series, has an interview with one of the authors at the end. The interviewer asks him how that version of FTL drive works and he responds “Very efficiently”.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

when it comes to the matrix, 99% of the fan theories of 'oh i wish this is what really happened' is just what was actually the story if you go by the events depicted on screen, instead of worrying about director statements and other stuff that wasn't in the movies

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tunicate posted:

In the new Disney continuity the crystals are now somewhat sapient and if you want a red lightsaber you have to torture your crystal until it starts bleeding
If you want a throbbing pink lightsaber you have to find a buddy and charge that crystal

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Well drat. Bad example then. I need to read the manga.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nth Doctor posted:

There's a trap about to be sprung.

1. It was Chewbacca's nephew Lowbacca, and he built his lightsaber around lenses scavenged from abandoned Rebellion-era equipment leftover at the Massassi Temple.
2. Tenel Ka got her original crystals from inside the lava vent of a volcano and did notice that they were flawed, true, but it was less her lightsaber blowing her hand off and more to the point:
3. Pre-Force-Hitler Jacen Solo was sparring with Tenel Ka when her lightsaber failed and he cut her arm off. He did build his lightsaber with a Corusca gem he got from the gas giant Yavin
:goonsay:
So... why the gently caress do I still know this from 20 years ago?!
I don't know, but the time frame does explain why I forgot some details :D. I do remember now that everyone called Lowbacca "Lowie" because Chewbacca is "Chewie" of course and that's just stupid.

To get away from the pure Star Wars derail, I used to think back when I read those novels religiously that books are always superiour to their movie versions (yes, even the Episode 4-6 novelizations, but barely and out of "principle") because you can have all those details in books and details are important and the movie inevitably cuts that super important fact, and how could they. Nowadays I realize that this is not a flaw of the medium, but one of its biggest strengths, because a good movie will just show you what a books takes pages to tell. Or useless chaff gets rightfully cut, because there's a whole lot of that in most of the trash books I used to read.

To bring it back to Star Wars though, a probably rational irritation: I made it a point to read the Episode I novelization before watching the movie because see above, and I was super, super disappointed with Episode I's opening (you know, like everyone, but bear with me) because the book cold opens with a Pod Race. In the movie there's like one line to the effect of "Anakin races regularly but he never gets to the finish line because assholes keep wrecking his racer", and they detail that in the book and it's awesome. I get that having two big race setpieces would be really dumb in a movie, but drat, the alternative is not that much better.

What did help me in actually enjoying Episode I the first time was that Jar Jar isn't nearly as annoying in the book (helps that you don't hear his voice and see his design), with more time devoted to him actually helping out and being somewhat clever when his life and that of his friends is on the line. So I came in with a positive impression of his character, and while movie Jar Jar is a grating buffoon, all those scenes were also in the book, so it really didn't bother me that much.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Tasers that knock people unconscious.

They don't do that. They prevent you from doing much with your muscles and can disorient you, but when they stop tasing you you can start fighting again.

I'm sure it's been brought up before but the thing that happens in every action movie ever where they whack someone with the butt of a gun, or just hit them in the back on the head, and they fall unconscious for an unspecified amount of time.

Blows to the head that knock you out for any significant amount of time involve brain damage and lengthy (years) recoveries.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Sep 5, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

e: quote=/=edit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best solution to lightsabers I’ve seen was in that game No More Heroes, where the solution is that lightsabers exist but they have a chunky, obtrusive metal arm on the side that telescopes out and has a thing on the end that stops the beam

They're basically fluorescent light tubes. That said, the games so also have classic style beam katanas without limiters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tolkien-esque worldbuilding sucks, especially in the limited runtime of a movie. It's better to tease at the world outside of the story than to go into agonizing detail until it's mundane.

I think lots of people mistake "world building" in itself for storytelling and it usually isn't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think lots of people mistake "world building" in itself for storytelling and it usually isn't.

A lot of writers, especially.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is good world building and bad world building. Han Solo boasting that the Millennium Falcon can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs is much more interesting than actually seeing him make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine a film with no fantasical or sci-fi elements taking time to have a character explain how a microwave or a car or a phone works.

That's basically what it feels like when fantasy/sci-fi wastes time on explaining something that should be semi common knowledge or at best just trivia to everyone in the setting. It works if it's something that's just as new and far out to the characters as it is to the audience.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mute gets around it in a fairly novel way by having its protagonist be Amish in a cyberpunk setting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine a film with no fantasical or sci-fi elements taking time to have a character explain how a microwave or a car or a phone works.

That's basically what it feels like when fantasy/sci-fi wastes time on explaining something that should be semi common knowledge or at best just trivia to everyone in the setting. It works if it's something that's just as new and far out to the characters as it is to the audience.

It always comes up in alternate history stories because a lot of alternate history fans are real grognards about butterfly effects and don't understand why a story about, say, JFK not being assassinated and its impact on the Vietnam War and American politics in general doesn't go into detail about how it affects crop rotation practices in rural Brazil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember reading a short story that was 'if a story set in the modern day was written like a sci-fi novel' which almost literally has those.

I suspect a lot of people focus on explaining how their made up spaceships work because they don't have many ideas for the actual plot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Memento posted:

In the first two books the machine intelligences are stealing brain cycles from people when they teleport. In the second series, they're stealing processing power from people constantly through the crucifixes.

poo poo gets weird in those books but they're some of my favourites.

I loved the Hyperion and Endymion books, and to a certain degree Illium and Olympos as well.

But in the latter two you can definitely tell he's beginning to go off his rocker with the whole thing about jews being exterminated in a giant space jihad and whatnot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bike tory posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up before but the thing that happens in every action movie ever where they whack someone with the butt of a gun, or just hit them in the back on the head, and they fall unconscious for an unspecified amount of time.

Blows to the head that knock you out for any significant amount of time involve brain damage and lengthy (years) recoveries.

Archer is about the only one in fiction that recognizes that.

Of course Archer also is the only one who counts the bullets people fire so he knows when they need to reload.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

bike tory posted:

This gets especially goofy in Lost, where the characters are bonking each other on the head so often with so little consequence that it's basically an on-off switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Unnecessary exposition isn't just a sff problem; maid-butler has a long history of being used by lazy writers.