Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
same reason i pretend to be a martial artist every sunday night

because im a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Isekai are badass dude. And The Gamer is the only Korean comic I actually liked.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
*is transported into another universe where the physical laws are different*

*dies instantly as his atoms tear themselves apart as the subatomic forces work differently*

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

*reborn in another world as the strong nuclear force*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Why do you guys keep reading this poo poo

brain damage

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Guilty pleasure?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The worst isekai is that one where the main character is some all-powerful wizard who gets a whole harem of elf maidens and solves all the world's problems, and the author's literal self-insert is the wizard's best friend and they hang out together drinking lovely beer.

I think it's called Forgotten Realms.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Blackmoor was also Isekai.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
would the Ultima series count as isekai?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I read this cool manga lately by the thermae romae guy about a 300 BC Greek dude whos afraid of entering the Olympic games getting transported to 1964 Tokyo and learning to love sports. It's good.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would say so!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

It may be technically but if I told someone I wanted to play more games like Ultima and they handed me anything related to say Sword Art Online I'd be pissed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plutonis posted:

I read this cool manga lately by the thermae romae guy about a 300 BC Greek dude whos afraid of entering the Olympic games getting transported to 1964 Tokyo and learning to love sports. It's good.

Wasn't that by an American woman?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Japanese woman, but yeah, oops.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I :airquote:like:airquote: how my coworkers got real fired up to play TRPGs for about two weeks, and then a month later the #dnd channel is dead and no one seems to want to play. It kinda feels like RPGs, D&D in particular, had a bit of a flash in the pan surge of interest recently, which has since leveled off.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Pollyanna posted:

I :airquote:like:airquote: how my coworkers got real fired up to play TRPGs for about two weeks, and then a month later the #dnd channel is dead and no one seems to want to play. It kinda feels like RPGs, D&D in particular, had a bit of a flash in the pan surge of interest recently, which has since leveled off.

Maybe critical role related?

Did you get to actually play a session or did it just sort of hover in limbo before interest died down? Maybe just message around with "I'm starting a game next week , I'll help with rules and whatnot, do you want in?"

I've introduced a lot of new people to dnd and such, most people have fun but don't really fall hard into it, but if you're lucky you see a twinkle develop in the eye of one or two and they become as obsessed as the rest of us

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
D&D is a series of mostly bad games, so you should probably also talk to those coworkers and figure out what they liked and didn't like about it and maybe play a game better suited to their tastes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

*Doctor looks at post and nods and takes a puff of his pipe* Hmm yeah, they are normies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A bunch of people signed an “I’m interested in d&d” sheet, I did Microscope once, not everyone was into it, and no other games have started (except for one which has been pretty good). Maybe people will respond to my DW call, maybe not.

I just don’t want to drag people into the game cause you need a level of excitement to get a good game going. If they’re not interested, I’m not interested.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A lot of people have really warped expectations for DnD based on listening to edited podcasts of professional comedians playing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

fool_of_sound posted:

A lot of people have really warped expectations for DnD based on listening to edited podcasts of professional comedians playing.

That's why my 4e game died. One player expected it to be a podcast. He hated how I could only do 3 voices. Refused to EVER take a quest hook. Constantly said he wasn't intetested in what we're doing while never having an answer for what he wanted to do. And belittling other players for not playing right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, it was kind of the opposite. I got the sense that a few of the prospective players in the channel weren’t interested in or couldn’t handle anything other than rolling dice and saying “I attack” and couldn’t improv or contribute at all. It was weird.

Covok posted:

That's why my 4e game died. One player expected it to be a podcast. He hated how I could only do 3 voices. Refused to EVER take a quest hook. Constantly said he wasn't intetested in what we're doing while never having an answer for what he wanted to do. And belittling other players for not playing right.

Goddamn, I would have kicked him out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, it was kind of the opposite. I got the sense that a few of the prospective players in the channel weren’t interested in or couldn’t handle anything other than rolling dice and saying “I attack” and couldn’t improv or contribute at all. It was weird.

Yeah this is exactly why I warn people away from trying PbtA or Fate for new players unless you know they’re comfortable role playing. A lot of people are turbo self conscious about RPing or improv-img.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Covok posted:

Did he specifically want the game to be Hello From the Magic Tavern?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Having players that are just there to relax, roll dice when told, and hang out with friends is pretty common. It’s also not a problem - they’re generally peaceable, easy to work with, and play fine. Pretty much every GM book after Robin’s Laws described player types talks about them. Don’t force them into the spotlight because that will backfire. Do give them opportunities to open up more, character specific hooks and so on. If they follow up on that, great. If they don’t, repeatedly, then let them be. Some people really do just want to be in the background and that’s okay. Be there if they need help, answer their questions because this type often doesn’t know the system super well, but they are a perfectly fine part of a good group. Let them do their thing and everyone will be happier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah this is exactly why I warn people away from trying PbtA or Fate for new players unless you know they’re comfortable role playing. A lot of people are turbo self conscious about RPing or improv-img.

The best entry-level RPG players you can ask for are experienced online roleplayers I find, since it's basically doing what they already do but with more defined rules. (you may also have to deal with... other expectations, but those can be managed depending on your own personal preferences) The numbers parts aren't a big problem for anyone who's ever played a video game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is an entry level RPG?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Generic Universal Role Playing System

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

dungeons and dragons 4th edition

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Pollyanna posted:

Tinydungeon

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been suggesting Slasher Flick. Relatively light, but with a solid mechanical base, a role play theme that everyone is familiar with, and bonus points for playing to that theme. It also teaches of the important lesson of ‘let bad things happen to your character sometimes’. Also it’s made for one shots or miniseries.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Pollyanna posted:

MASKS is my go-to to introduce brand new players as of late. It has enough options and narrative control to make player decisions meaningful without FAE's problem of aspects like "Doin' stuff."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Depends on your group and what they want.

If they're people who already enjoy boardgames with some level of complexity to them but don't like roleplaying: something that has rigidly-defined rules with clear keywording, characters that can be built and played well without requiring 50 splats and an encyclopaedic knowledge of Elminster's scrotal hair follicles, and clear combat roles. 4E, Fragged Empire, Shadow of the Demon Lord or Strike, are all solid choices.

If they're people who don't enjoy mechanical complexity and just want to be able to tell a cool story: something fiction-first or at least rules-light and narratively-designed, where they can just go hog wild describing the cool stuff their character is going without the GM having to go "sorry, you've already used your move action this turn." Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Masks, Blades in the Dark, Dread, Polaris, Ryuutama or Technoir are all solid choices.

If they're in between those two extremes, you'll have to find something that doesn't fall apart with players who don't RP and has enough mechanical heft to keep the crunchy players interested. Feng Shui 2 or some specific Fate games (Tianxia, Tachyon Squadron) might be good picks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Pollyanna posted:

Orc Stabr

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pollyanna posted:

Danger Patrol*

*semi-experienced GM required

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pollyanna posted:

Goddamn, I would have kicked him out.

These people sound like new players, it may have been a bad idea to have them sign up to play D&D then have them play a story game instead

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

alg posted:

These people sound like new players, it may have been a bad idea to have them sign up to play D&D then have them play a story game instead

I dont think you read her follow up post

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Pollyanna posted:

Panic at the Dojo with premade, low complexity characters.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Pollyanna posted:

Fiasco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen